You are here

Need your advise please....

notsure00's picture

Hello,

I am new to this forum but have been reading for a few months as many posts as I could, whew...it's a lot, but ALL has been beneficial. Thank you!

I'm at a crossroads and need your wisdom please. Here is the situation:

My fiance has 4 adult children, that he raised on his own (divorced 8-9 yrs ago - mother walked out..while married, multiple affairs, didn't want her kids) ages range from 18-22 currently, two older girls, two younger boys. All work and the 18 will be leaving for the military. Since they are adults, I really don't see them much. The younger ones seem fine when I do see them, at least they are polite. The problem is the eldest. Anytime there is a "family" event I attend, supporting my fiance and ALWAYS respectful to his family and children, I get a 'Hey' from most but the eldest totally ignores me. Noticed lately that if I am there, she will not be in the same room as me, often just leaving the event where her siblings are begging her to stay yet she still leaves. Then she posts hateful things on her FB about her father (nothing about me, but how cruel he was when she was a small child or how he is not over her mother - um, he is over her. she is out of state, remarried, all have moved on).

My 16 yr old daughter had met his children, all seem to be fine with her except the eldest. She made it very clear the night they met that she did not like my daughter. You see, my daughter is rather petite & girly, his eldest is rather husky & not so girly. So she hates. Heck, she hates her younger sister that is smaller and girlie too. At a 'family' event that all children and their boyfriends/girlfriends/general friends were partaking, when the eldest saw that my daughter her boyfriend & I were there - my goodness - attitude. First she acted all ticked off, her father & brothers begging her to be happy, then she switched to sulking. After a couple of hours I had enough and we (daughter & her boyfriend & I) left as she made the whole event SO uncomfortable.

Fiance ALWAYS dismisses his daughter's behavior as 'she is having a bad day' or 'she is just emotional' or 'that is who she is'. It has come to my attention that she will not go to any outings if her father brings me or my daughter. In my opinion - Good. Everyone doesn't have to put up with her drama.

So here the issue: fiance is having a going away dinner for his son leaving for the military AND including his eldest with a 'see ya later' dinner since she is going to visit her mother out of state...I wouldn't do that as going in the military is a much bigger event then visiting your parent out of state, but it's his party...anyway, fiance wants me to go. My first reaction - NO. I don't want to go. It is going to be uncomfortable for everyone. Then I think, I should go to support my fiance. What do I do?

Fiance knows that I don't like his eldest and of course this is straining our relationship. I have attempted multiple times discussing with him that I have boundaries, that I do not have to subject myself to such rudeness. I am not rude to her or anyone else in the family, including the ex-wife. My child has been polite to all his family as well. All seemed to reciprocate, except the eldest. Heck I keep my children far away from this family now. If a stranger was that rude to me or my children I would have nothing to do with that person. He tells me that he has to talk with her. That she has a history of this love/hate with everyone in her life; him, her mother, her siblings. Ok, well if they all want to put up with that, that is up to them. Why would I want to put up with that? Just because she is his daughter? She is 22 yo for goodness sake - I expect her to behave like a young lady.

I have a 21 year old son who lives out of town who has never met his kids. I think that is best right now, as he does not like drama, and I already have him telling me to RUN - that the fiance's family has too much drama. I promised my son a LONG, LONG engagement - as I am really doubting I want to marry someone with so much baggage. My children's father lives in town, is remarried, and causes no issues with me or the kids (except not paying his child support). I made sure I had closure before I started dating again - isn't that what all the books say?!?

It is very disheartening. I really enjoy fiance's company and we're very happy together. Even with the other children's young adult "issues" they are not a big deal - but this one kid...whew...more than I want to deal with.

So do I go to this 'party' and deal with her yet again making a dramatic performance (of course I bite my tongue real hard NOT to say anything - like "grow up & behave like a young lady") to support the fiance or do I some how graciously decline?

Thank you in advance for any and all input!

depressed.and.stressed's picture

I don't know if this would be much help ...

But go to the event ...

When my dad first got with my stepmum (who I now consider my MUM), or when I first met her, I was a little stand offish - that wasn't because of the divorce, my older sister and I knew the divorce was coming ages before they actually told us.
But, I was a little stand offish because dad had someone new in his life, and I really didn't know how to react. Like, if I showed that I like dads new gf, was that showing that I didn't love my mum (who I did at the time), that I was replacing my mum ...
I stood back a lot, and tried to mix in and such, but I then got to see how happy she was making my dad, and still to this day how happy she makes him. I do have to say though, I didn't turn around and say I didn't like her kids or anything (she had 2), and didn't make events that uncomfortable, I did try.

Attend the event, show her that you do make her dad happy. Maybe SO needs to sit down with her and tell her that you do make him happy and such ...

I hope this does help, its only from MHO of being a stepkid myself. I do apologize if it doesn't help. But in no way am I saying any of this is your fault, she just needs to see the picture for what it is - that he is happy with you ...

And if she does start her crap and keeps it up, just ignore it, show her that her moodiness doesn't affect you. Go and share a joke with someone and laugh and smile, let it really get to her ... and that's just from being a person lol, not a SK ...

notsure00's picture

Thank you for your reply as it IS very helpful. Hearing opinions from the step-children's view is much appreciated. It refreshing to see/hear/read that not all step-children are selfish and mean. I'm sure you have made your father proud being such a nice person! Thanks again!

Anywho78's picture

Hello & welcome!

How long have you been with your FDH for & how often do you have occasion to be in the same room as OSD?

As far as this going away dinner that your FDH is planning...I agree that it's no biggie that she's heading off out of state for a little while. The HUGE deal should be made over SS18 & ONLY SS18. Saying that though, as it's not the 18 year old that's rude to you, would it not be "punishing" him if you chose not to attend? It doesn't sound like you are all that close with your adult Skids but with him joining the military, I'm sure he would appreciate you all being there to see him off as would your FDH. Is there any way you could explain to your FDH that throwing a "duo" party will take the "thunder" away from the young man who is going off to serve his country? He really should be THE ONLY GUEST OF HONOR! I'm sure he hasn't thought of it that way.

Also, has your FDH talked to his eldest to confirm her attendance? If she's dead set on not being in the same room as you, that may get difficult. He promised to talk to her...has he done that yet?

It's certainly a tough one though. Luckily for you none of them live at home & 3 out of 4 being decent to you really isn't too bad!

notsure00's picture

Hello & Thank You!

Been with him 8 months, so it is still VERY VERY early in this relationship. He agreed to a very long engagement. So glad for that - as these little issues come up and make me really wonder. No matter how great the man, I won't get between their issues as I would not want that done to me. People like that end up turning on the "new" person, blaming them, accusing you are making them choose. I won't be a part of that. Since this relationship is so new and not real sure about the 'kids' acting out to see how far they can push me, or whatever, that is why I posted asking for your opinions.

No, I haven't discussed him making the 18yo being the ONLY guest of honor - I agree it should be ALL about him. It seems there are more dramas unfolding: I don't know all the details as FDH told me he feels he can't talk to me about his kids anymore. Ok, whatever. Guess he feels I'm judging him or the way he raised them. ???? WTH???? Is this a RED FLAG for me or what? Not judging one bit. His kids are adults. They make their OWN choices. He has to stop feeling like he is responsible for that. Wow, I think I recall reading several posts on here about the "daddy" protecting the 40 year old kids still.....Oh my....what have I gotten myself into? I am hoping that all this is his "empty nest syndrome".

I don't know if he talked or confirmed the eldest attendance.

Thank you so much for replying. This board is very insightful and sure helping me A LOT!

sandye21's picture

"FDH told me he feels he can't talk to me about his kids anymore." Yes, this si a red flag. It is the first step in transferring the blame to you for something you did't do - easier for bf instead of taking on HIS responsiblility to deal with SD's rude behavior. Please do yourself a favor and let him know you will not take it on. He should know you are not getting heavily involved with his kids until he assures you that you will be respected and and not be expected to take on undeserved blame.

notsure00's picture

I agree with you. I did tell him that I won't get involved with his kids as I know I would end up being blamed for whatever. I informed him that I "may" attend functions if FDH wants me there, to be there for him. But since he said to me that he feels he cant talk to me anymore about them, I am really reconsidering A LOT. I just received an email from him. It was VERY brief. Told me a couple of outings he will be going on with his 18yo (military bound) but added "if he & I are not at odds. Stressful time."

Ok, obviously FDH is having some sort of issue with the kid. Last night when FDH called me he sounded all down, depressed. I asked if he was ok. Said he was. Just has to take care of a few things.

This is my take, I could be wrong: FDH is sad that his youngest is leaving the 'nest'. I get it. He raised 4 kids on his own, empty nest syndrome hits some rather hard. I can respect that. But I offer to help, offer to listen, offer to get up and go DO something...sheesh. I just keep being told "I can't talk to you about my kids." Starting to think "Why? Cause they are screwed up and you keep making excuse after excuse for them, accept UN-acceptable behavior, then sit and pout, act all depressed?" Maybe HE needs the wake-up call and accept his children for who they are, good or bad, and stop making excuses! Make them accountable for their words & actions for once. I just see a whole family really screwed up and back-bite and gossip about each other and it is disgusting to see that is acceptable. I don't want a family like that. My own family is not that way, why would I marry INTO one that is toxic?

wow - think I have my answer.

time to move on. FDH needs to get himself together before I get married. Suppose a 'date' here and there won't hurt, but I have definitely removed myself emotionally from this relationship now and the ring is off.

This board is a great way to vent, get support. Its the perfect sounding board, in a safe environment, for each of us to figure out what we need to do.

Grateful I found this sight! Thanks for making it!

NancyL's picture

Either go to the party or end the relationship. It really is as simple as that because she needs to deal with her issues and he needs to stop making excuses for her.

notsure00's picture

I do agree with you that she needs to deal with her issues AND he does need to stop making excuses for her.

I have yet to respond to his invite to the party. I'm still considering all options at this point.

Thank you for responding Smile

Shannon61's picture

I think you should go, but make sure FDH has a long talk w/SD first. I also think that since she's the only real issue and the others are respectful and drama free, that you can make the marriage work. Don't give SD the satisfaction or power to end or ruin your relationship, especially if you love your FDH and since you're engaged I'm assuming you do.

If she wants to continue acting like an twit, you can always disengage and just let FDH have a relationship w/her. With a little luck, she'll grow up focus on her own life, and meet someone so she won't have time to focus on her disdain for you or FDH.

At the end of the day, you don't have to make a life with SD, you have to live with FDH. I don't like my SD, but I tolerate her. She tried to break me and DH up, but it didn't work. I stood my ground. I think you should stand yours as well. At this point, she realizes that I'm not going any place, nor will I play petty games with her, so she's done a 360 and started acting like an adult.

We can't begin to let these miserable, manipulative, petty witches think they're winning. We're stronger and wiser than that. Good luck.

notsure00's picture

LOVE IT!

This is great advise!

"Don't fight the insane." - I will have to remember this one!

Got it, Julie Andrews...of course I would expect Miss Snookie to make an appearance.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! Your reply has made me laugh, have to keep our humor up, and great advise.

I am so glad I posted. Everyone has been so helpful! Thank you for sharing your experiences with me & on this board. I don't feel so overwhelmed anymore with this issue.

notsure00's picture

Reply to Shannon61 -

Yes, the other 3 are respectful, but they are not drama free. Don't think that their 'drama' is excessive though - the usual teen/young adult BF/GF relationships, them finding their way in life, etc.

"..acting like a twit.." THAT made me laugh! That is a good discription! LOL. This young lady does have a live-in boyfriend & she creates drama with him, (she loves him, she hates him, back and forth) poor guy. I Apparently they got into an argument and next thing you know she is threatening to kill herself, cut up her arms, etc. Truth be told...she didn't cut herself one bit. She just put a piece of glass to her arm and talked a bunch of smack. DRAMA QUEEN. She does the same thing with both her parents and siblings too. She loves them one minute, the very next she is cussing them out, changing her phone number, emails, posts horrible things about them all on her FB. It is really sad because they ALL allow her to continue to do this.

I like what you said, that you stood your ground. I do think I need to do that especially since no one else in their family had the guts to tell this young lady to cut the garbage and behave like a young woman. I wouldn't actually TELL that to her, but I think you're correct, by just being there and letting her know that "I" won't but up with her shannanagans may be enough and hope that (over time) she can stop playing her games with me.

"...We can't begin to let these miserable, manipulative, petty witches think they're winning. We're stronger and wiser than that. Good luck." - I agree. Maybe that is what this young lady needs. A 'responsible' female/mother figure to demonstrate to her how to behave. That may be me just hoping.

Thank you so very much for your insight. I has helped me immensely! I will be sure to continue reading posts as I'm sure I'm in for quite the journey.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

notsure00's picture

Re: Noralsi

A bit confused to your posts with the various links. Is this common practice for this site?

I have a RSS feed and a web-blog?

You're posting a link to "your blog"? Which blog is that?

notsure00's picture

Looked everywhere, don't see how to delete the spam? I must be tired.

Thanks for letting me know! Sure did seems like some odd replies!

notsure00's picture

I only see Reply & mark as offensive. No delete. I thought I was posting on the forum??? I check to see "my blog" - nothing.

Oh well. Guess I'll just ignore the spam. Gives me more practice for ignoring the "miss snookie" I'll be encountering this weekend Smile