You are here

My SD and her Father (my husband) enjoy appearing as a couple?

Claresjobe's picture

This is a strange situation. My husband, who is in his 40's has two grown daughters. The eldest he has grown to have a very strong relationship with. For almost 10 years after his divorce, he did not date and his eldest daughter (now 26) moved in with him when she turned 18, leaving to move in with her boyfriend when she was around 22.
When I first met my husband, I found it odd that he would brag about how people often mistake him and his daughter for a couple.
A few years later, I'm seeing things I don't understand and I'm very hurt. Last spring, his eldest daughter came to our home for a visit. She hadn't been off the plane for more than an hour when at dinner my husband told the waiter (because he was carded for ordering a beer) "how do you know I'm not her boyfriend (pointing to his daughter), and she (pointing at me) isn't my mother?"
I was insulted and hurt that he would refer to himself as his daughter's boyfriend, and me as his mother. I'm not at all matronly looking, out of shape, or old enough (in fact, he and I are exactly the same age.)
A couple of years prior, this daughter came out with her then boyfriend. My husband fawned all over her trying to pry her away from her boyfriend. In public they would walk around holding hands. I have a picture where I am walking in front of them, they are holding hands (just like a couple) and her boyfriend is walking behind all of us. He took a picture of this incident. I've often wondered how he felt witnessing all of this over the years too.
So after the incident with the "I'm her boyfriend", things went downhill fast. I asked my husband if he harbors anything strange or inappropriate for his daughter. That entire week was an eye-opener. They sat next to each other on the couch and she nearly sits on top of him. They excluded me from all their activities (which I somewhat understand since he doesn't see her often.) Also, he takes so many pictures of her - the cheesecake kind, like a pin-up girl. He has never, ever taken pictures of me like this.
Where I really began to wonder about his relationship was when I stumbled across some photos (many) he took with a tripod while they were on a trip cross-country (actually coming here to marry me.) He holds her with his hand maybe an inch from her breasts. Every picture is that exact pose. In fact in one, his hand was so close he had to close his fingers. Never ever has he taken a picture of the two of them with his arm around her shoulder - never. Yet, of the two pictures he has with me, that is his posture.
On this long distance trip she wore a t-shirt for two days (this girl must have a hundred shirts?) which said "I love my boyfriend." Why would she wear that while on a long distance trip, alone with her father and pose like that? She pushes her entire body almost onto his when they take a photo. There is nothing discreet in their posture. If I were with my father, alone for a week on the road, I don't think I would behave like that. And I could never, ever see my ex-husband behaving like this with my teenage daughter. He is so protective of her and so respectful of her.
So I don't know if this is a power trip on the SD behalf, and if she has teased my husband over the years? My instincts tell me he actually has a lust for her. When I confronted him the first time about this he actually smiled and said, "well, I guess I would have to go and get her and move to Utah, but I'm not planning on that."
I realize a lot of what I have written can be taken out of context - but there is just something that isn't right.
1. Brags about being seen as a couple
2. Friend of ours who saw a picture of them in a frame said to me "you sure are nice to keep pictures of ___ and his ex-wife around!"
3. Suggestive pictures - poses which he has never taken with me and definitely suggests they are a couple
4. Suggests he is her boyfriend in public, brushes me off as his mother
5. Actually became violent and cursed at me when I asked him to get counseling and told me he does not want me to get counseling (I suspect he thinks I will reveal something and a counselor will confirm my concerns.)
6. Wrote her an email telling her "my wife thinks we look like a couple. We need to tone it down. You and I both know we haven't come close to going over the edge. You were a good surrogate wife during the years we lived together." ????
7. Continues to change the subject concerning the pictures, and won't delete them. He won't delete them, but he won't allow them to be framed either. At one point he said they were heinous, and in the next he says he has no idea where or why he puts his hands when he poses with her.
8. Writes emails telling her his problems with his marriage, under-mining my role as his wife. She tells him about her sexual problems with her boyfriend.

All I really want to know is, am I over-reacting or does it seem like something isn't right? I know he loves his daughter(s), but the eldest and he - I don't know. It's just too weird. He is completely the opposite with his younger daughter, and every picture with her, the arm is around the shoulder, never suggestive. He never calls her, never emails her. Doesn't really want anything to do with her. The eldest has always bragged about how the younger daughter is like her mother, and she is like her daddy.

I'm just looking for the truth.

stormabruin's picture

You're not overreacting. The relationship the two of them have is not a healthy father/daughter relationship. The way your husband treats you is disrespectful. He can't do away with the questionable pictures but doesn't want them framed? He knows they're inappropriate but can't let them go.

He has no right to tell you not to get counseling. Obviously, he's not going to be concerned with your feelings on it. Talk to someone who is. Does he say "my wife" when he talks to her about you? That seems kind of cold. Why not acknowledge you by your name? They both know they haven't come close to going over the edge? What's that supposed to mean? In a healthy father/daughter relationship there should be no "edge" to come close to. The fact that he recognizes an edge in their situation indicates ugly. The fact that he refers to her as a "surrogate wife" is disturbing, & for NO reason, should he be discussing his marital problems with her.

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that his sexual fantasies revolve around his child.

I would seriously look into counseling for yourself. You deserve a fulfilling relationship/marriage with someone who appreciates you & who respects you, & enjoys having YOU at his side.

Claresjobe's picture

Oh my gosh - thank you. He never speaks about me in his conversations with her unless it is negative. It seems like he wants her to believe he isn't happy with me. Thank you for your thoughts. I feel like I am going crazy.

aggravated1's picture

Oh my God. I am so sorry. I am at a loss for words. What he wrote her for #6 was basically admitting something. They have a sick, sick relationship, and you are not over-reacting at all. What are you going to do? can you live like this?

JMC's picture

I'm stunned...your situation has red flags flying all over the place. Your DH and SD appear to have a very inappropriate relationship - by no means is it a normal father/daughter relationship. It's extremely close to incest and even though he states "You and I both know we haven't come close to going over the edge." I have to wonder what he considers the edge?

I don't know how long you've been married or your family situation but you really need to talk to someone about this before it gets anymore out of control. Is your sd's BM in the picture? What about other family members? With things being the way you describe, I can't imagine other family members not becoming alarmed at their behaviour.

I'm so sorry for you having to deal with this; good luck and please don't wait to take action.

on the fence's picture

That is gross and disgusting. They both need counseling, but I'm not sure you'll ever get them to see that. That would drive me away! It's annoying enough watching my BF's oldest act like she thinks she's his wife and I called him on it. That stops or I go. Not an idle threat.

Willow2010's picture

You and I both know we haven't come close to going over the edge.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
:jawdrop: Oh my!! He is a sick man.

SillyGilly's picture

:jawdrop: OMG Claresjobe- I have read things here on StepTalk that make me sad, angry, worried, etc... but I have never felt this horrible sickness in my stomach that I feel right now after reading this. Your DH and SD are something to be V.E.R.Y. concerned about. This is not normal. The whole situation of being mistaken for her boyfriend/you as the mom - that is just plain insulting and I thought maybe he just really likes to have people thing he looks young. BUT....as I read... something is very wrong. Very, very wrong. I CANNOT imagine if my DAD sent me an email saying something about our relationship never being close to going over the edge - BLAH - I would wonder what the F he was talking about. CREEPY.

I am so so so very sorry. What a horrible discovery. Your gut is right. Keep coming back to this sight for support - I think you are going to need it. Sad

Zoie's picture

Wow..I'm sorry for what you are going through...

but the statement "You and I both know we haven't come close to going over the edge" says it all, there is something terrily wrong here. I'm also very concerned about the fact that you state he became Violent and Cursed at you..this is a very dangerous situation for you and if it were me I would get out right away..

This is not normal and not right. You so deserve someone who will love you with his whole heart and be proud to call you his wife, his lover and his his best friend.

I wish you all the best..keep you chin up.. Z Smile

Claresjobe's picture

The SD is not close with her mother at all, in fact she hates her. She has clung to her father, and the younger daughter has clung to her mother. The BM married a few times after the divorce and ended up marrying a very violent, crazy man. I think my husband would jump at the chance to live with his daughter again if it were possible. She was the one who left him. I asked him if she moved out because things started to get "weird" between them and he said "maybe." I honestly think he is embarrassed by his relationship with her, but he won't concede there is something he needs to deal with. I think he is holding onto this. Perhaps it brings him security or something. I'm not sure - but I've had a nagging feeling for 5 years that I am not really his first love. I know fathers love their daughters and I don't want to destroy that or prohibit it. But I also know he becomes a changed person when she is around, or when he talks to her.

stormabruin's picture

If things got "weird" between them, and they clearly did, (His "maybe" here is a yes. If they didn't he would've just said "no".) they went over "the edge". Maybe they didn't have sex, but they did something.

There is no father/daughter relationship to respect, prohibit or destroy. There just plain isn't one. Their relationship is gross & inappropriate.

Talking to him about it isn't working. He's being evasive & vague & giving you nothing to answer your very valid questions. You are his wife. He owes you answers. If he refuses to give them to you, he's hiding things.

If you still need validation for what you feel, please speak with a counselor. If you feel you have the answers you need, move forward. You deserve to feel happy, whether you're with someone else or not. This man is dragging his daughter to an ugly place in life. He is manipulative & abusive. Don't let him take you down with them.

You'll find good support here as you need it.

Best wishes to you. ((((Hugs))))

on the fence's picture

I do agree with goforit. I would not, under any circumstances put up with that. I said about the same thing she did to BF once, and ok, it was a bit extreme and I was out of line, but it's nowhere close to what you are dealing with. That restaurant scene would have had me out the door.

hbell0428's picture

UUUHHHHHHHH GROSS!!! Being close and still giving hugs and kisses is one thing; but being accused of being a coule in another.

I know in my life it feels like I am the daughter and SD13 is the wife (staying up later than me to sit on the couch with him - just 1 example) But to actaully think it's funny when people think you are. Unhealthy - completely. Not saying to play baby games; but is there anything else you can do to get the ball in your court and make him feel this way.

oneoffour's picture

I know of one other case where the older child became the surrogate 'partner'. This was taken further and screwed up his life.

Your husband says he didn't 'take it further' which means the intention was there. People don't say "Well I walked into the bank with a gun and mask and didn't take it further." They say "I walked into the bank and decided this is wrong." The intention was there. She is playing along with the surrogate wife role because it gives her power and a place in his life. If her boyfriend is still around I bet you she never marries him because to do so will be betraying her father and he would not like some other man coming first before him.

What do you want to do? How much do you have invested in this lifestyle? Can you financially afford to divorce him and walk away?
Do you want to live with it and take a break when his daughter is around? Do you want an open marriage where you can take other romantic interest?

Personally I would cut my losses and leave him. Divorce him because he is not the marrying kind. Seriously, he would marry his daughter if he could. But societally this is taboo. He probably thinks he was an ancient Egyptian in a past life so he COULD have married his daughter.

He doesn't put you before his daughter and won't even attend counselling with you in case he has to face his reality. In his mind he hasn't done anything wrong. But the idea ia there and that line may one day be crossed.

His daughter plays along with the game and that is sick as well. She cannot disentangle herself from her father and have a REAL relationship.

If you choose to leave (and I suspect you will) you didn't fail. He failed to treat you respectfully as a wife.

Claresjobe's picture

Thank you for your comments and concern. Your right - he doesn't put me ahead of his daughter. He is ashamed to confirm to his daughter that he loves me and that hurts a lot. I have kids of my own who are pre-teen age and they will be affected severely by his absence. I know in my heart he is playing along so he can continue to live here - going through the motions that is.
He came here a few years ago with a lot of junk and a whole lot of debt. I am the home owner, he brought no assets to the marriage. That in itself does not bother me, but I again sort of confirms I was a convenience for him in some ways. His daughter moved out of his apartment and he was alone.
Anyway, it is a scary prospect to deal with the idea of divorce, however when I try to just bury it and live through each day I find there is an erosion in my emotions that continues to gain momentum. I feel like I'm being used.

Claresjobe's picture

I really appreciate these comments. One thing I forgot - this daughter talks "baby talk" with her dad, and nobody but him. It's the kind of pitch and inflection that makes people cringe.
Here's the original email he sent to his daughter after the revealing visit last spring:
"what other people have noticed about you and I appearing to be a couple is also apparent to __wife__ and she’s quite jealous about that. This seed that was planted years ago has been fed by the fact that the few photos I have of you depict us clinging to each other so that it was easy for __wife__ to envision this is just the way we are together.

This is a problem of my own making- I’ve smothered you with affection and drank up your returns for years when there was no one else in my life. I’ve held your hand and cuddled you like a 6 year-old girl for much longer than is appropriate for a father. You and I developed a great bond and friendship during your late teen years, you cared for me and did a pretty good impression of a celibate wife – which I encouraged. I hope you can see that what I’m suggesting is to focus on a proper scale to the physical nature of our relationship. I think we’ve each already taken steps in this direction - I’m spelling this out to limit any misunderstanding. You and I know that we’re not close to crossing lines, but I’m willing to admit that others might see a physical closeness that is open to misinterpretation."
He sent this email to his daughter with the intent that I would see it, which I did. He sent another email after she responded (she said she was always uncomfortable with his method of affection and the pictures, I think that's a lie based on her enthusiasm) which he immediately deleted and did not permit me to see. My guess is the second email he sent to her confirms to her how much he loves her, blah, blah, blah.
I mis-quoted when I said "going over the edge", he said "we're not close to crossing lines" - which I find suggestive and weird. I cannot imagine my father saying something like this to me, or my ex-husband saying something like this to my daughter.
His email is quite eloquent, which is why it is obvious it was intended for my eyes. His formality, etc. is more of a statement and cya than a personal conversation with her. She took this quite hard and became very defensive in her response.
I completely appreicate all of the comments posted and am more than willing to recognize if I'm exaggerating or acting delusional.
Thank you.

Claresjobe's picture

It happened last spring, and it's been cause for crying, arguing and threatens of divorce since. There has always been something about him that caused me to question where his true affections are. I've always sensed he is just going through the motions here, that he would rather be somewhere else, with someone else. You know how that feels, when you just can't put your finger on something but it naws at you underneath and makes you continually feel uneasy? I wonder if I'm insecure or if there is something wrong, or if whatever is wrong I'm just blowing out of proportion.
Appreciate the input - more than you can know.

tofurkey's picture

Like the other posters have said, you are DEFF NOT over reacting and there is DEFF something way way way wrong here. This is not an acceptable father/daughter relationship. Everything that you posted on there is just so so wrong. Please do something about this and don't second guess yourself, your gut instinct is right!!!!

Claresjobe's picture

Wow - I had begun to think that I was delusional. That's what he has said to me month after month. I want to be honest and show what the actual wording is - not polish it or exaggerate to prove my point. I really want to be extremely honest in what the situation is in my home. I love this man, but I do not think I really know him as I thought I did.

tofurkey's picture

No honey you are not delusional in any shape or form, the fact that your DH is calling you that over and over again should be a red flag in itself, and with him being against you going to counseling is another sign that he doesn't want you to confirm this unsavory behavior with other people. I am so glad that you came on here to write about what was going on, and I commend you for doing so since it is such an awkward and delicate subject. I think you know in your heart that your insticts are right and you know what you should do. If all else fails, just think ontop of all of what's going on, your DH knows that his behavior with his daughter makes you uncomfortable and all he does is try to belittle you and make you feel crazy for feeling that way. He doesn't appologize, he doesn't deny it, he doesn't seem to feel bad for making you feel bad. That alone is bad enough.

Claresjobe's picture

Wow - I had begun to think that I was delusional. That's what he has said to me month after month. I want to be honest and show what the actual wording is - not polish it or exaggerate to prove my point. I really want to be extremely honest in what the situation is in my home. I love this man, but I do not think I really know him as I thought I did.

skylarksms's picture

I am and have always been EXTREMELY close to my father.

Never once has he said anything even REMOTELY close to any of the weird stuff your H says to his daughter!

He has also never had his hands anywhere CLOSE to my chest.

There was only ONE time in my entire life that I can remember my dad saying something to me that made me uncomfortable, that was after I had my DS. I was sitting on the floor and DS was between my legs trying to crawl towards me and my father said, "He's trying to get back in!"

That was NOTHING - NOTHING - compared to the inappropriateness of EVERYTHING in your H's relationship with his oldest.

No WONDER she hates her mom - BM was her first rival!

SillyGilly's picture

Bwahaha, sorry skylarks - that cracked me up. I am imagining a Grandpa cracking his joke (which I am sure is how it was intended) and then the crickets chirping and awkward silence! No woman wants her father making any reference to her lady parts -ever!

Claresjobe's picture

Thank you a million times for your words and I'm sorry you went through that with your father. The picture I just posted is a classic of my husband holding his daughter. I have to ask - does this seem weird or is it just me?

Claresjobe's picture

The picture I posted is a classic of my husband with his daughter. Every picture is this same pose. He puts his arm around my shoulder. With his daughter, they go off alone and setup the tripod. I just think this is so telling.

Zoie's picture

I really dont see anything wrong with this picture..but there is something seriously wrong with his relationship with her and with you...

Z Smile

Claresjobe's picture

Thanks - I appreciate that honest comment, I really do. It's just there are so many like this - and the time this was taken, they were alone. The t-shirt I think is very passive-aggressive. She is wearing a shirt which says "I love my boyfriend" while she is on the road, alone with her father for a week. And for some strange reason, she wore the shirt multiple days. I sense she is trying to say something...

Zoie's picture

Welcome.. but I'm wondering if at this point everything is a red flag because it is unatural what he has with his daughter. You know I havent seen you write one word about taking care of yourself and what you want. Just know that you are important and you matter so please make sure you take care of yourself.. Z Smile

Claresjobe's picture

Wow, that is heart-warming. He never mentions his devotion to me to his daughter. That is something I've had a problem with too. He talks about me only in the most deratory sense - as if he is persecuted or something. Thank you so much.

Rags's picture

The picture does not bother me. It looks like a fairly typical dad/daughter picture to me. He is tall, she is shorter and anywhere he puts his arm (around her waist, shoulder, etc...) his hand is going to be in reasonably close proximity to her breasts. I have the same problem with my niece.

Everything else you describe gives me concern.

My niece is very shapely as your SD appears to be. I have to be very conscious of her curves when she decides she wants to sit next to me on the couch, walk with her arm around my waste, stand next to me with her arm around me, or wants a hug, etc.... I don't ever want her to be uncomfortable around me so I keep these things in mind when I am around her. Not that I think about her boobs or hesitate to give her a hug. It is not like that.

Heck, my mom is chesty and I have never hesitated to give her a hug without a thought about her boobs.

My niece is very HOT but she is also only 16 and learning about her womanly curves. It does not bother her but I make sure to give her a pillow when she flops down on the couch with her boobs in my lap and says "Uncle Rags, scratch my back". It is absolutely innocent but I also am cognoscente of the potential perception of others when she sits in my lap while we are all waiting for a restaurant table. Not that I have any issue with my niece other than that she needs to learn that what was appropriate when she was 12 and was a gangly pre-teen is not necessarily appropriate now that she would look very at home in a Victoria's Secret catalog.

This is a family thing and all of the kids jockey for back scratches, foot and leg rubs, head scratches, hair brush sessions, an open lap, etc.. from whichever, mom, dad, aunt, uncle, or grandparent looks like a willing target.

There is a difference between innocent interface and inappropriate interface. I think that this is one of those things that are in the eye of the observer. If it is wrong, you know it when you see it.

Best regards,

TheWickedStepmom's picture

Oh Lord run for the hills! I was very close to my dad because I was an only child. My dad may say things like telling me that I was beautiful or I had pretty legs, things like that. But he NEVER EVER touched me! He would hug me and his kisses were on the CHEEK! He was paranoid about being cautious and respectful of me as a woman.

My dh used to piss me off doing "titty twisters" and "purple nurples" to my sd! And that at least was a JOKING kind of thing which some people would STILL have a HUGE problem with (hell I did which was why I talked to him and told him to STOP!)... I could NEVER live in the situation you are living in!

All of this... the rude restaurant remarks, the email... it's not natural. It's almost like Freud and all of his theories were based around this father/daughter relationship.

eeewww... yuck... that is just nasty. :sick:

helena_brass's picture

Hun, I'm not sure if you have any close friends or relatives that you've spoken to, but I'm sure they'd all tell you the exact same things that everyone here has said. This is wrong, so SO wrong and you do NOT have to put up with this. I bet even the younger daughter would cringe--and might even have more to add.

This is highly disturbing. You are absolutely not overreacting or imagining this. I'm so sorry that you've come to this realization. Now that you have, good lord woman get yourself out of that marriage.

TheOtherMom's picture

Thank you for sharing this.

It has made me contemplate something in the relationship between SS11 and BM but I will save that for another post.

Rags's picture

If it looks like shit, smells like shit, feels like shit and tastes like shit it must be shit.

You are not over reacting. Though I can certainly understand a parent/child being mistaken for a couple, it used to happen with my mom and I when I was in my late teens through mid 20's. She was 19 when I was born and has always looked about 10yrs younger than her age for as long as I can remember. We occasionally still hold hands when we are taking a walk and I used to put my arm around her shoulders and she would put her arm around my waist occasionally when I was younger. She is 5'2" and I am 6'1" so that just magnified the potential perception that we may have been a couple.

We would get some nasty looks from the blue hairs back in the day. But, never did she or I allow anyone to retain the perception that we were a couple. I would very pointedly refer to her frequently and slightly too loudly as Mom! when we were out in public together when it was just the two of us. I did not want the hotties in the restaurants or stores to misinterpret the situation and not give me their numbers when I asked. }:)

My wife was 16 when she had my Skid. She is now 35 and he is 18. They will occasionally get told that they are a cute couple when they are out in public and it has even happened when I have been with them. We all laugh but my wife immediately informs the person that Skid is her son.

What is happening with your DH and your SD has every indication of being entirely inappropriate.

IMHO of course.

Best regards,

Using mom as

New second wife-step-mom's picture

If you need evidence put a keylogger on your pc and read his emails to his daughter.

donna123's picture

Totally inappropriate behaviour between a parent and child. I am wondering if the "I love my boyfriend" T- shirt wasn't more intended to keep dad's overly amorous attentions off her? He has crossed almost every parent child boundary that exists. Where it gets really dicey is the fact of him hiding certain aspects of their relationship which proves that he knows what he is doing is wrong, but he has no intention of changing his behaviour because it gratifies him, and be damned what it does to EVERYONE else in the family.

Maybe once he learns from outside sources that this “emotional incest” he has with his daughter is child abuse he may change his mind.

Here is the link: http://hugoschwyzer.net/2009/10/22/princesses-princes-daughters-and-dads...

In the meantime all the hurt, anger, resentment, humiliation and disrespect you feel is very real. He is totally humiliating and disrespecting you continuously. You are NOT delusional, he is.

What you decide to do is based on knowing that first, his behaviour is very wrong and second, are you willing to continue being married to this man if he seeks professional help and changes his behaviour? Is it even possible? Problem is he has already gone over “the line” in my view.

Keep up your pursuit of the truth. It’s a long row to hoe.

Claresjobe's picture

The "I love my boyfriend t-shirt" really throws me. To be on a road trip, alone with your dad and wear that shirt twice in photos taken alone and posing as a couple. I find it very passive-aggressive.

Claresjobe's picture

That article was so right on. This nails my husband and his daughters issue to the core. She took care of his emotional needs when his marriage crumbled (which was early on I believe) and for him, it carried way farther than it should have. Probably for her too. She is the type of female who knows her sexuality as a weapon, and her only weapon. Her throwing her chest against his at any opportunity and using the baby voice "come on daddy, let's get closer" confirms what this article says. Thank you so much for sharing this. I intend to show this to my husband. Unfortunately, based on all of the reponses I've received, I do believe divorce is imminent. My husband will become violent if I bring up this subject. I know he will not deal with it. I honestly feel sorry for the next woman he becomes involved with. Mostly I am saddened at how this will affect my own two kids as we have built something of life together and now that will be ripped apart. Thanks again.

Claresjobe's picture

Ripped apart is a bit extreme. I married never thinking I would divorce. I was married for 15 years. When I divorced, I knew my kids would pay for my choice as I was the one who left the marriage. I've known all along my current husband isn't all there for me. There is something missing and I'd thought I'd identified it with his relationship with his daughter, and indeed it sounds like I have.

milknosugar's picture

I hate to say it but sometimes what you see on the surface in these situations is just the tip of the iceberg. I have personal experience. Does he comment on her appearance? Says she looks sexy? Do you get the feeling he thinks she is trying to look nice for him?

If there has been abuse, these are the sorts of signs (all the ones you have in front of you as well).

You see where there is sexual abuse, you don't see it happening. There are no photos of the actual abuse - just worrying signs. If it happened in the past but he "can't" now because he is married - that could be the "edge" he is talking about.

This is hard. It might be the hardest thing you have ever faced. We go into denial. There is a saying - when someone sneezes, you don't think it is cancer. We make up all these reasons in our head why it isn't abuse. But then one day we realise that if we open our minds to the idea that maybe abuse has happened, we see that all the signs fit that one explanation and we can stop thinking up a million different excuses.

I am so sorry. I am also very sorry for his daughter who will have been seriously damaged if there has been abuse. It may have started at an age when she was powerless and it has become a part of her life that she has never wanted to question (to do so would lead her to fall apart). Also, he is keeping her close and making her feel special so he can keep control and power. Abuse is about power not sex. If he was to put you first and show her he was with you now, he is afraid she will get angry and tell people what he has done to her.

I may be wrong and I hope I am but I urge you to seek some advice from a professional who knows about sexual abuse and incest and the effects and signs. Go and see someone. Do exactly what they suggest you do. Make sure you are well supported by your own family and friends through all this. Again - I hate to say it butit can be dangerous when a child abuser is uncovered. You are in my prayers.

caregiver1127's picture

Claresjobe - the picture that you posted is very weird - I have never taken a picture with my father where my boobs are touching his chest - never - all the things that you write are very disturbing.

When I was in High School there was a teacher there who seemed very inappropriate with his daughter another case of his wife left him and it was him, his daughter and a son - I remember when she graduated he handed her her diploma and kissed her on the lips for about a minute - you could see her trying to pull away and him just holding her and not letting her move - everyone was in shock -

About 17 years after that I saw her at a place that I was working and I just had to ask her about that kiss - she said that she no longer had a relationship with her father - she said that there had been years of abuse and that on that graduation day she about died that he did that in front of everyone. After that kiss I think he worked for the school for another year and then got caught having a relationship with a senior in the school (his daughter went to college about 2000 miles away) he got fired from the school.

This blog just reminded me of that poor girl - she had no mother to protect her and when I saw her all those years later you could see the damage on her face. I am not sure how long you have been married but I would get out - there is something wrong with your DH and his SD that goes beyond the normal father/daughter loving relationship where the father protects and loves and respects his daughter - like a daughter not as a girlfriend. Also if my DH ever asked a waitress if I looked like his mother he would be wearing the meal in his lap. Sorry you are going through this - I am praying for you!!

Also not letting you read the second email was very telling and he sounds really disgusting and gross and I quite frankly would have trouble letting him even get close to me anymore. His daughter is old enough that if she wants it to stop she can make that happen - also that the boyfriend took the picture of you in front and dh and sd together makes me think he feels something is going on as well - get away from this situation if you can!!

milknosugar's picture

Hi caregiver. Great post.

I just wanted to add that while the daughter may be old enough to do something about it, she may not be able to face it yet. Ongoing abuse can be tricky. Each person is different in their ability to disclose abuse. She is being manipulated and controlled still by her Father and she has learnt how to act around him in a way that protects her. She might be really scared. He may have threatened her as a child that if she ever told anyone, he would do something bad. So she has developed complex coping mechanisms that no one who hasn't experienced abuse could understand.

We must not judge her because to disclose abuse can literally be life threatening and can cause severe mental problems. If this is what has happened in this family, the damage and destruction is extremely hard to face and she might need a lot of support facing up to what has happened.

Claresjobe's picture

I agree! I would never allow my father to have his hand around me like that. Once and if it was an accident is one thing - however these two know no other way to take a picture. Every single picture he has with her is the same couple posture. She puts on the baby voice more than anything, and she does prance around in tight clothes, low cut shirts, that kind of thing. She sent him an email a few weeks ago which I thought was weird. She was talking about her weekend with her boyfriend and she said "we had such a great time at such and such place. We walked around looked at shops. I just wish you could have been there to experience it with us." He is married to me! Why is she wishing he could "experience" the things she is experiencing with her new lover with her father? So confusing.

caregiver1127's picture

This is what I am trying to say Claresjobe - while she may be doing whatever to protect herself you need to get out and not worry about her or your DH - this is not something that you can win or even make him see what he is doing is wrong - if SD was younger I would be all for getting her help and pulling her out of the situation - but she is 26 there is nothing you can do to help her - she has a boyfriend and still clings to her father - it is just weird.

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

My SIL and FIL have been like this since my MIL passed away several years ago. It's disgusting. She literally does everything for him that a wife would. She buys his groceries and clothes, they are affectionate with each other in ways that are inappropriate, and she makes all his plans for him. She is the only family member with a key to his house, and every time I drive by (he lives on a very busy thoroughfare) her car is in the driveway, even though she has her own home about 5 miles away. People are always asking me about it. It's embarassing to the max.

You're not overreacting. I think it's some indication of a mental illness...a disconnection with reality, like what a sex offender has...thinking something is normal and natural because it's how they feel, when really it's very sick.

I really want to print out the above article and send it anonymously to my FIL and SIL. Soooo tempting.

ItNeverEnds's picture

Forget the fact that he is her father...if he were acting this way with another woman, would you tolerate it?? I love my dad....we are VERY close, but I would be mortified if we were ever mistaken for a couple...as would he!! There is no way either one of us would let the comment slide without correcting it. Just the very fact that people THINK they are a couple send off a HUGE red flag! They shouldn't LOOK like a couple...or act like a couple!

Then there is a letter. It smacks of, "My wife suspects us...we need to cool it." He doesn't respect you. Sad I'm so sorry.

Butterflykissesandlicks's picture

Well. To slightly relate here. I "once" had a half brother say to me, " If you were not my sister, I would do you." :jawdrop: (note: "once")

This is one of the sickest posts I have read here yet. I would not stay in a twisted relationship like this.

ItAlmostWorked's picture

You are not over-reacting. It sounds like now is the time to say goodbye-you've mentioned you have children who are preteens? If he is as creepy as I sounds, it can't be healthy for him to be around them.

ItAlmostWorked's picture

Please excuse the blunt ness of my previous post. Even if it was only his ego that made him act like this to his daughter (which admittedly is doubtful), he is still not a good example of a loving husband for your kids to be witnessing.

LRP75's picture

Run. Run for your life.

Not just from his inappropriate relationship with his daughter, but because you KNOW that he is only using you.

You deserve better. So do your children.

Julies's picture

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this very unpleasant issue. I wish you the best. Since the man has no money of his own and only debts, another reason to kick him to the curb.

sunnyside's picture

I noticed that the original post is from 2010. Claresjobe, are you still around? How are things going? I wish you well:)

SugarSpice's picture

i could have written the op myself.

sd would sit on the sofa with her legs over her fathers lap while he massaged her feet. she would also sit behind him as he sat in a chair and massaged his shoulders. she would cut his hair (she is a beautician) and then razor his back and neck of hair.

sh would have her father take her for rides in the convertible then out to lunch where she must have looked like a young mistress.

certain things are ok with a child or teenager but not for a grown woman.

i told dh this was inappropriate and dh got violently angry and defensive saying it was natural and normal and he and his daughter are just showing love.

even after the girl married and a young mother sd still calls her father at least twice a day and calls him her bff. i feel sorry for the young womans husband. he screamed that i was jealous. dh also gives lavish electronic and designer gifts to the skids while he buys me cheap gifts that are almost life after thoughts.

these situations are sick beyond words. this daughter also has major sibling problems with the other skids and had called herself her fathers first princess.

sandye21's picture

How awful! Wish I had something to suggest but I don't. You've been on ST for a long time so you probably have worked it out the best you can. I can only offer (((BIG HUGS))). What are your plans?

SugarSpice's picture

sandye, thank yo for the comment. i think disengagement is the best for me. the young woman married and moved far away. i am terrified in time the sham of a marriage will fail (she is way too hung up on her father and prone to tantrums) and she will wind up moving close to us and worse with a child or two. her father has always had an open wallet for anything she wants. i recall he also took cheese cake shots of his daughter leaning against the hood of the sports car. it was laughable because sd is not slender or leggy at all. rather stout and plump. hilarious!

Dunwiththem's picture

You are questioning and questioning because you don't want to believe your own eyes. To do so would mean your marriage (and vows by him) mean nothing. It's painful. Please get away from him. He does not respect you.
' I find there is an erosion in my emotions that continues to gain momentum.' - LISTEN TO YOUR GUT.
Go on to find a better life xx

sammigirl's picture

Claresjobe: I am sorry your are going thru this; I also went thru this for a period of time, when SD and SIL moved to the same town. SIL gained employment and they moved to where we lived. Then DH and SD's romance began; they have always been close, but I always viewed it as father/daughter closeness and nothing more. We now live 150 miles from SD.

Of course I was trying to keep a "Brady Bunch" family for DH's sake and was putting up with the embarrassment. It just kept getting worse and worse and SIL didn't like it either. One day I open my email to check it; there was a two page hate email addressed to me from SD, telling me to divorce her father, she hated me, I was mean to her Dad, blah...blah...blah. Ok, I had enough now!

I printed this email out and took it into the next room and handed it to DH. Quote: "You read this, take this copy to SD and put a lid on this shit, right now". He took it to her and they discussed it, but I didn't ask. It didn't seem to curb it; so one day I received a telephone call from one of "my" family members, wanting to know what was going on? I'm like what? DH and SD had been gossiping behind my back to "my" family. I hung up the phone, calmly went out in the car, drove to the Police station, wrote up a request for a protective order, with a Victim Advocate, drove back home, called for an Officer to come to our address with a keep the peace, remove DH and send him up the street to SD's home to live. They escorted DH to SD's with nothing but 1/2 bottle of whiskey, which he requested; this is how bad he was becoming. Later that evening, I received a call from the Court, the Judge had signed the Order and it was to be served on DH the next morning; which prevented DH, SD, or any third party to DH to contact me or come on the property. DH could not have his toothbrush without my permission, thus he had to be escorted by an Law Enforcement Officer. I also had the locks rekeyed the next morning and applied for a property retention order, which the Judge signed.

Long story short, I gave SD and DH what they wanted, time together, for each other, forever if they so chose. :sick:

Because I put my foot down, in my case; our marriage is much different. It is not good, but SD no longer is involved with my DH in my presence; DH no longer sees her often. I never accused them of "over the line" behavior, I just gave them each other. SD didn't want another man in her house to wait on, cook for, or do laundry for. DH didn't like living out of his comfortable home. For me, it solved the problem.

They can see each other any time they wish and always have been able to do so. SD never calls, never comes and takes DH to lunch; when she visits, it's less than an hour. They were only gaslighting me for years and I stopped it. They know "I don't care about their relationship"; I don't want to know. It is like forbidden fruit in my case. They don't want it now, because they can have it, who cares. I don't need the BS in my life and I REALLY DON'T CARE.

sandye21's picture

Sammi, your story could be made into a movie. Some could say 'unhappy ending' but not really. In the end you reclaimed yourself. This is the way I feel also.

In my heart and soul I felt as if SD and DH were talking about me behind my back. DH never said anything nasty about me to my family but there was a certain 'look' on his and SD's faces and hostility in their actions toward me when they would come back into the house after having a 'private conversation'. By some of the statements DH made to SD such as, "It's only temporary", I believe SD thought he was going to be leaving. After SD's wedding, which I did not attend, I received a call in regards to an employment application he had filled out where SD lived which was over 1000 miles away. He had also been telling other people he was leaving. So I got the 'message'.

It took 20 years for SD to finally break down and have a meltdown, spewing 20 years of pent up hate at me. There was no need for a court order as DH realized he would be losing too many financial and social comforts. So he decided to work on the marriage which did not sit well with SD. My story has a happy ending too. I disengaged from SD and after a while DH seemed to realize I wasn't as bad of a person as I was once made out to be. But like you, I reclaimed myself - THAT is the 'happy ending'. Thank you for helping me get there.

sammigirl's picture

THANK YOU!

Yes, my DH also realized it was not financially smart to let SD tell him what to do. My DH, as you know, also decided to work on our marriage and we are doing fine; it is different, but better without SD having any say.

My DH has opened his eyes to what was really going on and we do not discuss it; but he was taken back when I "reclaimed myself"; after 37 years of marriage.

The entire family of DH knows I'm not playing games and I'm not threatening them; I am serious and I am promising them results if they all do not leave me alone, or they are welcome to visit with my Attorney; which by the way has all the documentation of the blow up, including the hate email.

Thank you again for your support; I could not have "reclaimed myself" without you, Sandye21, as well as everyone here on ST.