You are here

My adult daughter

Bdmnrizn's picture

My husband is a SF to my daughter who now is 29 years! We started dating when she was 15 years old a teenager who knew it all didnt like to be told anything, especially from my DH, let me tell you we had some times her growing up, it turned out her grandfather on her bio fathers side got cancer so she went to live with grandparents to help out with grandfather as they two were close. Just the other day as my daughter and I were visiting she was telling me how great a person her SF was and that she knew she was a wrong in alot of the thing that went on when we first got together, that she relizes he has been a good provider and good dad to myself and her little sisters. How funny it has to take years and alot of growing up for some kids to relize that SP really are not bad people.

2Tired4Drama's picture

It is really great that she realizes what her past mistakes were and it is commendable that she told you so. BUT ... the best thing she can do is personally say the same things to your DH (her SF) about how she was wrong in the past, how much she admires him, etc. He sounds like he may need to hear it. I am also assuming that she has a great relationship with him now, and that she treats him kindly and with respect.

My SD admitted once very briefly, that she was "terrible" when she was a teen. While she's a little more mature now that she's an adult, I don't see her fundamental behaviors changing at all.

She is still very self-centered and dismissive of her father. Maybe that will change as she gets older but I'm not betting any money on it. Good stories like yours do give me some reason to hope, though.

Bdmnrizn's picture

Thank You all for your comments and yes 2tired4drama you are right she should tell my DH what she told me!! She use to say this is my mother's husband but now she calls him her step-dad and has even posted it on her facebook!! My DH even helped her with half of her deposit to move in her apt, never thought Id see that day. So feeling blessed and appreciate all of you for being here and listening and giving me the time to put myself out there it does help!
Smile

Rags's picture

Blended family drama not withstanding, you raised a young woman of character.

You should be proud mom. Your BD recognizing that her StepDad has been a good father should make him proud too.

Hanny's picture

I got a message from one of my step sons not too long ago, thanking me for being a good step mom to them, and acknowledging how hard it must have been for me as step mom to 5 boys. His girlfriend is now in that position with his daughter, and he is seeing her struggling with the step mom thing. It was nice of him to finally thank me and acknowledge me even though it was many many years later and the fact that I divorced his Dad years ago.

Bdmnrizn's picture

Thats great to hear Hanny, even more so that you and his dad are divorced.
That had to have made your day if not more good news!!