You are here

Marriage - two separate homes?

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

What are your thoughts on staying married but living in separate homes.

I am very distrustful of DH after last weekend's fight over SD again. He was hurtful and seemed to worry about SD more than me. My health is suffering, lots of stress, and my cancer may be back. I have to go for a biopsy in couple of weeks to check.

I am too scared to end the marriage, especially if my health gets worse, but I am also too scared to quit my job, and move far away from my community.

I was thinking of buying a condo/small house in the city where I work and we/DH would buy a new vacation home and sell the cottages. If we sell the cottages SD wouldn't have any connection to the new place - less entitlement hopefully.

I would go up north every weekend if i felt like it or stay home and enjoy my peace and quiet. BS is an issue (he is 15) as I am sure he would like to live up north but I would like him to live with me (of course). This is probably where it would get sticky.

I don't hate my DH - I just don't really trust him to look after my best interests in light of all the fighting over SD.

I think I love the DH I thought he was, not the DH he is today. I am just hopeful that he can go back to the way he was. I doubt it though.

Feeling very confused and stressed about all of this. Real Estate is coming in again tomorrow and we will be listing within the week. If it sells fast I need to know what to do. I just feel so unsure about the direction of my life right now.

My older sister thinks separate houses would work well for us as DH frequently stays up north for extended periods. He hasn't been doing that the past year as we were renovating and now BS is back home and DH has to pick him up every day after school. He goes to school out of town until June.

I did mention it to DH last week and he wasn't shocked or against it necessarily, but he wants me to rent a place. I guess this way it wouldn't be as permanent in his mind. I don't want to rent a place as it would be very expensive and I feel like I would be throwing money out the window doing that when I could afford to buy a small place.

Just don't know what to do......

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Hi shaking, LOl, love your name.

SKid does not live with us (thank Gawd)! She is 36 but lives approx 12 houses away and is in DH's ear daily. She is a trouble maker, meddler, gossip, nasty hearted SD. BS is the only child in the home - I am so glad I have him Smile

I guess I just don't want the biopsy / cancer scare to change anything. That is dumb though, I know. OF COURSE IT MAY CHANGE EVERYTHING!

Hopefully I am OK and it is just a scare. sigh.