You are here

Live in adult stepson.

TMK813's picture

My GF and I began dating a year and a half ago. We knew each other in college but never dated. 30 years later, both divorced, we re-met and began dating. A few weeks into our relationship, there were accusations that I wasn't being faithful that my GF quickly shared with her four sons, now 26,24,21 and 19. We resolved the issue. Three out of four of the sons were good with my explanations. The next youngest refuses to believe anything.

Moving forward. We've moved in together. The two oldest boys are awesome and we're good friends. The two youngest live with us. They're 9th grade dropouts. They're unemployed. They don't contribute anything to rent or utilities and do chores only if their mom begs them. She usually ends up doing them. All they do is play video games all night and sleep all day. They both have smart phones, game systems and internet in their rooms that we pay for. The 19 year old rarely comes out of his room except to eat. Other than his hermit-like behavior, we get along ok.

I've tried to get along with the 21 year old. At his mother's insisting, I gave him the den that I wanted for my extensive home theater for his room. I framed and installed a door so that he and his GF could have some privacy. When he had a cash settlement and wanted to buy a car, I took him to a dealership and helped pick out a good vehicle and negotiated a great deal for him. He gets the driveway, I have to park on the side, driving in the dead grass in our front yard. I still don't know where he gets money for gas and insurance. (right)

Finances are extremely tight. My GF insists on buying whatever food these two want, usually two different things. I've taken on an extra job (job 5) and am paying in every dime of my income now, not just the amount that I initially agreed to.

The 21 year old doesn't talk to me and refers to me as a douche. His mom says she can't do anything about it. Tonight when we were looking for the 19 year old's lost kitten, I asked the 21 year old if he'd seen his mom. He wouldn't talk to me. When I pressed that I was worried about her, he implied that I was an idiot. Out of the blue, he asked if I was going to hit him. I told him no, but I wished he'd be nice to me since I'd done nothing but be nice to him. He brought up that he thought that I had been unfaithful to his mom a year and a half ago and that if I did hit him, he'd put me in the hospital.

I'm not afraid of him, I can handle my self very well. What I'm afraid of is what happens to me if we do have an altercation. I don't believe his mom would be in my corner. Since all my money is in the joint checking, I can't save to move out. I feel stuck. If he weren't in the house, I think that the GF and I could be great together. But with him here, it's like the proverbial elephant in the living room. She says that I need to ignore him. I can't anymore.

What to do?
Trapped

simifan's picture

He's not even paying for kids, he's supporting three other adults. She's using your wallet. Go back to the amount you originally agreed to. Save until you can RUN.

Jsmom's picture

Get out! This is an awful situation. Divide the money in half and walk away. Learn from this and never combine your funds again with any woman. Get a lawyer ASAP to divide the assets.

duct_tape's picture

You aren't that miserable. You are still there. There's nothing in it for you. Or is there? What's her side of the story? What are you getting from the relationship? What magic does she have that has kept you there? Or what scares you about leaving?

Something is missing from this story. No one sticks around in a mess like this without a very good reason.

duct_tape's picture

I'm not trying to be a bitch, I just happen to know alot of people who sing this very same song. And it usually turns out that there's much more going on.

My sister says her husband is so awful and mean, but I've walked in on her being downright evil to him and their daughter. He just looked at me and said, "told you." She says he's a tightwad. Well, she's a f'n shopaholic. He called her lazy, I went over and saw her house! It was a wreck and she was doing nothing except talking about wanting to go shop!

My other sister complains about her husband being too passive, etc. But she castrates him every chance she gets. She says he won't do anything around the house for her. Everytime he tries, she insults his amazing work!

What's the other side here?

alwaysanxious's picture

Um NO!!!!! There is no way I'd make myself financially responsible in this situation. These are HER decisions and you are letting her decision affect you. If it were me, I'd seriously consider separate residences again (actually I'd go ahead and move because I'm confident I would not put up with this). She has too much baggage still going on and none of this is your problem or responsibility. Its time to back off from this one a bit. Focus on your relationship with her. Her adult sons are HER problem.