You are here

I've come to not like bf adult son

JUSTME14's picture

I've been dating my bf for 8 yrs. His son will be 21 in May. BF has had his sob since he was 3 due the bio mom having an illness. Because of that bf son has not had many positive female role models in his life. BF had dated alot. His son and I and I should say even his own grandmother and Aunts have never had a close relationship. Once I came into the relation I saw that my bf was a fun, do anything for you type of guy. We'd go on vacations together and they were ok, until I realized his son was smoking pot on vacation this was when he was 17. BF and I would fight and sure enough vacation it would happen again. Long story short I moved in with my bf and son and found out the son runs the household. One example he tells my bf " I need you to wash this I need ASAP" BF goes out to start his car every morning, bf told me his son wants his meals prepared fresh every day(I would make a couple casseroles on a Sunday so if we were rushed we'd have a quick meal), son driving bf truck over his vehicle cuz it's cooler than his car. Son has a sense of entitlement. Now I can hear and smell his smoking pot in his room a few feet from ours at night. Also caught him smoking on the porch. Son and I got into a verbal argument and bf did not defend me even saying" oh its a stage he'll grow out of it like me" Since that fight the son and I barely speak. Even though bf and I would fight he'd keep smoking in his room or porch. Now going to the grandparents, aunts, Uncle and TWITTER about how horrible I am. Yes because my bf said he allowed his son and friends to party at the house every weekend and when I moved in he told him it was to stop. Son expressed he was depressed, I found a counselor who was also drug counselor. They went and spoke to some drug addicts and supposedly the addicts told him it's pot its not an addictions. So I found another who also specialized in drug addiction ( bf sibs all have some sort of addiction) Son started to go as well as bf and I. BF got mad because the counselor basically told him he's not helping his son by doing everything for him. BF and I are trying to save this relationship but things aren't changing with his son. He is suppose to have 1 chore which bf doesn't enforce, keep his room clean. You can barely open the door due to clothes, bottles, food containers etc. I took pictures because one of the things when we go to counseling bf says the things I say are happening, bf says they aren't. We went to a family counseling, and the counselor say another side I think of son, he was f this and that to me, yelling at me, and the counselor said, then move out. Things son does is so disrespectful. He will leave and just say good bye to bf. BF sister died, sister that son asked her because she partied with him ( and she has a heroin addicted daughter) he asked her to move in with her and drug addicted Uncle because me and bf fight all the time (and the thing is, we never fight when he's home) So she dies and he only when to an hour of her wake because he wanted to watch football. You wanted to live with her and you have partied with her but can't show your respect? Any advice on how to cope because I really have just not like him.

sandye21's picture

Move out and just date BF. Let DH deal with SS and possibly be an accessory if pot is illegal in your state - or if he allows SS to leave his hose stoned DH could be in trouble with the law in some states. Move out and save your butt.

JUSTME14's picture

The idea of me moving in, was to fix up his house we were moving to another state together. I sold my home to move in with him in preparation to move out of state. I have applied for jobs and looked for homes where we planned to move. Unfortunately on just my income as at a entry level pay isn't going to get me much. The move with two incomes would not be an issue especially because he will make about $50, 000 when he sells his home. I only made $15, 000 on the sale of my home which won't get me far to move and buy a new home.

Funny that you mentioned about the pot use. We had a huge fight before the sons 20th bday, he said he was going to allow underage drinking and I said then I'm leaving because I won't be held liable.

I know moving out is probably the most common resolve but I'm looking for coping suggestions. I want to relationship with my bf.

JUSTME14's picture

The idea of me moving in, was to fix up his house we were moving to another state together. I sold my home to move in with him in preparation to move out of state. I have applied for jobs and looked for homes where we planned to move. Unfortunately on just my income as at a entry level pay isn't going to get me much. The move with two incomes would not be an issue especially because he will make about $50, 000 when he sells his home. I only made $15, 000 on the sale of my home which won't get me far to move and buy a new home.

Funny that you mentioned about the pot use. We had a huge fight before the sons 20th bday, he said he was going to allow underage drinking and I said then I'm leaving because I won't be held liable.

I know moving out is probably the most common resolve but I'm looking for coping suggestions. I want to relationship with my bf.

moeilijk's picture

The best way to keep everything the way it is is to just accept it.

Do you think your bf would break up with you if you moved out? It's either his way or the highway?

JUSTME14's picture

At one point he did say to go ahead without him and he'll finish working on his house. I told him we could try a long distance relationship but I doubt it would work and I wasn't going to wait around for 5 or 10 yrs until his son gets his crap together. So he has said he wants to continue with out plan. I just really feel such dislike toward his son and I know its not nice but he gets treated the way he treats me.

Stormyweather's picture

I don't know what your BF is like regarding following through on his plans with you but I can't see him willingly leaving his son behind for you two to relocate and buy another place together elsewhere. Can you? What happens to SS when you guys mive? Or is he coming with you two?

JUSTME14's picture

Son wants to move too, not necessarily live with us. BF has said repeatedly he can't continue to live and work here in NY, weather, taxes etc. BF has said he will leave him here, he's not ging to live here for his son.

still learning's picture

"Son wants to move too, not necessarily live with us." BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Can we please place bets on this? You've really got to wake up, your BF has done NOTHING to help this man child be independent. If you move he will move with you.

sandye21's picture

^^^THIS!^^^ "-- your BF has done NOTHING to help this man child be independent." DH needs to know you are serious about SS leaving.

Disneyfan's picture

He's blowing smoke up your butt. He's nog going to leave his son behind or make him get his own place. Dad didn't raisehis son to be an independent, responsible adult. This jerk is the product of your boyfriend's piss poor parenting.

JUSTME14's picture

I've often wondered the same. But others, including my son who has had one on one talks says hes sincere in moving. He put alot of his own money and time to fix up my house to sell. I just don't know what to do.

grace8205's picture

Your situation sounds very similar to mine a year ago. It got to the point I would dread going home after work, sometimes avoiding going home .
My DH did nothing about the drugs in our house, the disrespect or any of the rules that were laid down to his son. My skid did not have a ton of rules or chores. He was expected to keep his bedroom clean and his bathroom clean since he is the only one using those rooms, clean and pick up after himself and the rest was general respect for people and their property. Skid could not do any of it. That is until I was fed up to the point of us leaving separately.

My DH made a comment once during all the drama that maybe we should have waited to move in together and get married once his kid was moved out and on his own. I have thought it but I never said it to him. So a month or so later after finding more drugs in our house which I threw out and after told my DH. I calmly said to him that I cannot live this way anymore and maybe he was right that we should have not moved in together until his son moved out and was on his own. I nicely and calmly suggested to him that he should go live with his son and work at launching him and once he is squared away he can move back and we will live as husband and wife once again. I let him know he would have up to a year to have his son settled otherwise if it was going to be longer I would have to move on. That was DH's big wake up call. That's when he gave his son notice to move out.

I feel for you and it is a tough spot to be in. I hope you and your DH can get it worked out because if it just continues this way your relationship will end because of the resentment.