You are here

It Has Been So Quiet and Peaceful until Today -- a Letter Came

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

from Twit.  I got the mail today and saw the return address.  I be bad in that I haven't given it to  DH because I am, well, I want to know what is in it though I know curiosity killed the cat, AND at the same time I love how peaceful it has been.

Oh Twit has tried to reach us a few times on our phone but hasn't been successful as things just get deleted AND ignored.

So, my delima is should I give DH the letter and let all Twit hell break out in our happy home again or should I just burn it.  I have never had this kind of situation happen before and, quite frankly, it upsets me because I don't want to deceive my DH.

Survivingstephell's picture

If it was me,  I would read it and toss it. She's up to something and there is no way I would not want a heads up.  

You can just play dumb if he asks about it.  If he did read it, he would respond to it.  

If you give a Twit a response, she will want contact to continue.  I'd much rather give a mouse a cookie! 

Oh, there is no doubt she is up to something or wants something.  That is a given.

SacrificialLamb's picture

How will hell break loose in your home because of a letter? Can you just put it in with the pile of mail for your DH and let him deal with it? I know you are curious, but I believe if the contents are interesting you will eventually find out.

I don't like doing things like withholding mail because I am a big believer in karma.  You are right; it is deception to your DH.

It's only fitting she is going to send a letter outlining her tale of woe.  She's a poor victim; she does not know any better.  Will your DH believe it? Doesn't sound like anyone else who knows her does.  Put all this back on your DH's plate. Let him deal with responding to his upset princess.

Numerous people - including her own sister - have seconded she's a nutcase.  The subject is not likely to come up unless you bring it up. If DH does bring it up, I would be sympathetic "oh poor thing -  things did not work out for her the way she planned. tsk tsk"

If you harp on it too much you will take some of the blame away from the guilty. Just put the letter in the pile of mail and try to put it out of your mind.  I know - easier said than done!

Hi Sacrificial - Hell will break loose because we would be letting the Twit and her BS back into our peaceful life.  Seems she just keeps at it and at it until she gets whatever it is she wants.  There is no doubt she is crazy and everyone knows it incuding DH, but he is the only one that worries about her.  The rest cut her and her crazy out a long time ago.

Rags's picture

Don’t hide it.  Don’t destroy it. Open it together.  That gives you the opportunity to guide the processing of the information.

And share of course!   Enquiring minds want to know.

Wink

soccermom830's picture

I agree with Rags - give it to him and read it together.  I don't think you should trash someone else's mail. 

notasm3's picture

I'm not telling you what to do as that is your decision.  Me - I'd open it and then decide what to do with it.  Unless there was some good reason to give it to my DH I'd just toss it.   I would not feel bad at all.  I'd consider it protecting my DH from an ahole's ranting.

--figureditout--'s picture

I intercepted a letter from SD to DH when she was in the RTF. DH was having major health problems which were heart related. They did some kind of cath test and he had a reaction to the procedure that made one of his legs numb. She was told (by me) that he was ill and did not need stress at the moment, so she needed to do as she was told at the facility. She took it upon herself to pull all kinds of stoopit, lost her privileges.  She told him in the letter that it was his fault and stated that his heart problems were only because he smoked.  Thank dog I got a heads up from one of the workers.

If I were in your shoes, I'd shred it and play dumb.  I will never understand these CODs who think the world owes them a living.

sandye21's picture

I agree with notasm3.  Open it and if there is nothing life threatening or it's the same 'carp' she spouts off on the phone, what would be the difference if DH saw it or not?  If it's important I'm sure you would give it to DH.  It's sort of like one of those political flyers I'm sure your DH receives.  We just throw them in the recycle bin or shred them.  If DH doesn't get the letter Twit will call agian, maybe catch him at home and he will eventually get the message.

If this were a different situation, and Twit didn't pull the stuff she does you might not feel the way you do.  My SD NEVER communicates with DH so I would probably give him the letter.

susanm's picture

Letter?  What letter?  Sorry, I haven't seen anything.  Gosh, I didn't knwo people wrote letters anymore!   But read it first to make sure you have a head;s up on what is going on and can take evasive action ahead of time as necessary.  It is not deceptive.  It is protecting the peace and calm of your household from someone who has ill intent.  All is fair in love and war.  You love your husband and she unfortunately declared war because of it.

Powerfamily's picture

I would read and the destoy it.  After all 99% of the time Twit 'posts' something to you it never arrives anyway.

Kes's picture

I think it is unethical to destroy someone else's letter.  I would be furious if this was done to me.  And she would probably eventually find out that the letter hadn't got to him.  But you have a right to know its contents. 

2Tired4Drama's picture

SDM, I am surprised that you would even consider tampering with your DH's personal mail without his knowledge.  I know many couples will open each other's mail (with the other's consent) but to do so without your DH's knowledge for the possible purpose of destroying it before he knows about it, is unethical. 

The right thing to do is give DH the letter, let him read it and then ask if he will share it with you.  He most probably will, so your questions about its contents will be answered.   No need to stoop to a low-level.  It sounds like something SD/"Twit" would do, so show more integrity than her.  

That is right on!  I know it is wrong etc., but I so want the peace we have had the last few weeks to last and not be invaded by Twit and her whatever her current problem or complaint is.  I actually shook when I saw it knowing it wasn't anything good.

Thus my delima.  Her pulling carp likethis does nothing more than pull D back into it even if I tell him I want to know nothing and not to say anything to me about it, sooner or later it comes out.  Or he starts taking her calls and listening to her carp about everything.

It is kind of a PTSD for me.  A letter from Twit bodes no good for me.

Rags's picture

Just split it open with the rest of the mail, put it on the junk mail pile for his review, and pitch it after a few days if he doesn't read it.  If you "happen" to see the contents... shit happens. 

ldvilen's picture

Oh, I wouldn't destroy it.  I'd slide a slim knife or pen into the edge and peel it ever-so-slowly open, so it doesn't rip or tear.  Once it was open, I'd read every word of it and then post the contents under a different Adult Stepchildren forum topic and ask others what they think about it.  Then, I'd fold it back up, put it in the envelope and carefully reseal it for DH.  Put it in with his other mail.  

See. . . Good or bad, I learned a thing or two from watching all of those ID Discovery shows. Wink

They sure do.  Just ask Twit.....one of her favorite excuses when she doesn't bother to sent DH a Father's Day card etc.

KC is not the stepmother's picture

She may have sent it with a receipt of mailing from the post office to trap you.  I would leave it with the mail and let him find it. 

No tracking, just regular stamps.  She would be too cheap to fork over $$$ to pay for tracking.

Well, here is what I have done.  He was in the kitchen when I came in with today's mail (and Twit's letter of yesterday).  As I sorted the mail I gave it to him with an elbow to his arm pointing out the return address.

My only comment was that it has been SOOOO PEACEFUL around here and I hate to see it change, and left it to him.  Don't know if he opened it or not but there has been no mention of it from him.

I am not a deceiptive person and doing something like throwing it out etc. is not in my nature.  Yeah, I know; but if the shoe was on the other foot I would be angry if he did that to  me.

Sigh, time will tell.  Maybe I will see it in the trash unopened.....hope, hope, hope.

sandye21's picture

SDM, I am sorry for my devious suggestion in an earlier reply.   As tempting as it must have been to toss it, you did the right thing.  If it was addressed to DH he had a right to see it.  Now, if it had been addressed to both of you, that would have been a different proposition.  I am hoping for your sake that some day soon your DH says, "Enough!", and follows in the footsteps of the rest of Twit's family. 

--- and when you find out what was in the letter, share it with us.  With all you've gone through with Twit, it would be interesting to see if it is anything different than her usual MO.  I'm betting it's not.  (((HUGS)))

Oh don't be sorry for your earlier comment - I was right there with you on that, almost did it and wish, in a way, that I had.

Every time DH thinks he can break away from her nonsense she intensifies.  Sometimes he succeeds, sometimes not BUT he is getting better - far better than he was 5+ years ago

My guess is she is still mad (as in foaming at the mouth) at him.  But she also wants to gripe to him about her new in-laws and how dare they think they rated above her at the wedding, how dare they want their daughter and her new husband to move to Europe etc.  Trust me, it won't be long because the new in-laws are in Twit's way with what SHE wants.

Time will tell - but I bet a dollar to a donut on that.

MadHatter's picture

How is DH going to feel when he finds out that you withheld this from him? Does he know about the missed phone calls? Would one little white lie..."Why, no, dear. I haven't seen any mail from Twit."...validate any of the accusations that Twit has accused you of? 

I would unappologetically open it, read it, hand it to hubby and say, "Here you go, dear. This came in the mail. I've already read it."

That is why I gave him the letter today.  I can delete the phone messages, and sometimes even DH just deletes them, but destroying the letter was too much against my grain.

Doing something like that is against my grain, and if discovered could give him grounds to start to question my role in all this nonsense.  Right now she has been the agressor, the crazy etc.  I want to keep it like that.

People that I worked with for years and old friends have always said that if SDM tells you something it is true because SDM does not tell tales etc.  I want to keep that reputation especially with my Hubby who also knows that I don't make things up (though there were a few times in dealing with Twit he tried to accuse me of that).  I am generally not one to react without thinking things through although a few times have been very close and hard in dealing with Twit.

MadHatter's picture

I know that I would just be giving my SD's stories about me credibility if I ever did anything even slightly deceptive, and the LAST thing I need is to even accidentally make her idiocy seem justifiable.

Well, this morning I got to see what was in the letter.  DH showed it to me.  Geez Louise, more of the same.  The Old  I haven't done anything wrong, I wanted you to come to the wedding, we (she and her DH) didn't even know if WE were going to be invited (THAT is absurd) and all kinds of carp, as usual.

I asked DH what he intends to do as I just can't and won't deal with this nonsense any more.  That it had been so peacefull the last few weeks and we had a great time in Vegas with his other daughter.

His response was that he was gong to do nothing as there was nothing to do.  As I said before, he never mentions the wedding etc, or the couple any more, especially since he called that one time and got hit up for check as a gift.

What is sad is that such an occasion should be a happy time for family, to get together and celebrate.  That wedding was one big messy.....oh, I don't know what to call it.

BUT, she is already complaining about her new in-laws.  How they tried to take over the whole wedding, etc.  That her family was stand-offish, etc.  I broke my rule and couldn't help mentioning to DH that it was the BRIDE's parents that footed the ceremony and the reception.  In actuality, the grooms parent's are honored guests if you get down to it.  Twit really resents them.  Oh boy, what else is new.

2Tired4Drama's picture

He says there is nothing he can do and he is right.  It also sounds like he has put this issue to bed since he hasn't been dwelling on it.

Which makes me wonder why you seem to be dwelling on it?   You say "I just can't and won't deal with this nonsense anymore" but I'm not clear exactly what it is that you must "deal with"?   Seems your DH is over it - can you do the same?

2Tired - Oh I agree, I shouldn't be going through this, but just the mear sight of her return address on that letter started me shaking.  Why?  Because I know the cretin never quits and never will quit.  She scares the begesus out of me.  I have been warned by an FBI profiler (my best friend) to watch out for her and stay far away.  I have been told by my MD back there that she is a narcisisst at the least and difficult to deal with (since he never saw her he wasn't going further on any diagnosis).

As for DH, he does not always be consistant on things.  Today he leaves her alone, next time he talks to her and wants to believe her carp.

As he once said, when she threatened to harm herself, (which is just one of the ploys she uses to get attention) he would feel awful if he never contacted her back and she did that.

2Tired4Drama's picture

As you may know,  I've been on STALK for years and have been following your story but TBH I don't recall if you and DH have ever sought counseling over this matter.  If not, perhaps you should. If DH doesn't want go then perhaps you might consider going alone to deal with the anxiety and fear you have. 

Most of us go through periods of time where we have anxiety and stress over the antics of our skids.  It's especially true for those who may have skids with criminal backgrounds, history of violence, theft of property, etc.   But for most, we learn to cope with these hills and valleys of life with adult skids and find overall balance.  

Even though your SD now lives miles away from you, you still seem to have a great deal of anxiety over her and what she does or may do.  If you are still living in daily fear of her actions (like shaking when you see her  letter) and it's something that you do find yourself focused on so that it impacts your overall well-being, then perhaps it's something you should be discussing with a professional.   It sounds like you have discussed it with your MD previously, so perhaps they may be able to recommend someone for you.   I think it may be very helpful in giving you methods to deal with the anxiety and overall improve your life.

As always, I wish you the best and hope you find a way to gain some peace in this. 

Totired - You may recall that my Twit and her hubby and Drunkie drove across country the first summer we were out here and staked out the front of our gated community!  UNANNOUNCED!!  Now if that doesn't send chills up my back you have no idea.

She has threatened to harm herself, harm me etc. and at least once got physical with me.

One way I do cope with dealing with her is keeping an ear out on what she does....NOT that I want to know....but knowing where she is and that she is FAR AWAY does make me feel safer.  I have been told from both my Profiler friend and counseling that this is common given the situation.

And, I tend to post here about my thoughts and fears rather than bring stuff up with DH that is just "feelings".  For some reason, unbeknowst to us women, men don't do feelings well.

MissTexas's picture

sYour husband could benefit by learning what a narcissit is. Buy him a DSM manual (what counselors use to diagnose clients/patients). Under NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) you can check off the entire list of characteristics your SD (as we have here) possesses.

Rags's picture

What happened to the Groom’s family hosting the rehearsal dinner and covering the flowers and the bride’s family covering the wedding and reception with the groom covering the honeymoon?

The Twit is an idjit.

Rags - Haven't a clue on that whole mess.  Well I do in a way, but the story from Twit etc. kept changing and one would need a large flow chart to keep track of it.  I gave up as, well, I never expected to be invited in the first place eventhough I received the numerous pot and pan catelogs so that I could "shower gift" the bride etc.  And you all know what I did and think about that carp.

In regards to the whole wedding cluster***k, I am not hurt that I wasn't invited, really don't care BUT what I don't like is the game playing that was done to my DH regarding it.  That is what I see as cruel period.

Rags, DH is a good decent man, abiet thick headed at times where Twit is concerned, but he loves all his children which is good.  He keeps hoping things will change with Twit, that she will somehow change but that is not going to happen.  He does very well in staying out of Twitville for a while and then she does someting that triggers him back into it and I end up with the flack.  The thing is I never know what it is that is going to suck him back in for a while.  Then he drags himself out of the Twit slime pit and gets back on the wagon.

hereiam's picture

Haha, she knows he purposely does not take her calls half of the time, so she wrote a letter. Same shit, different delivery.

By phone or mail, she is still cuckoo, cuckoo.

Hereiam -  Bingo, you win the prize.  Since we don't answer her calls she is not writing.  As I said, just seeing her return address on that letter started me shaking.  I KNOW it seems weird, but the truth is that even way out here Twit scares the begesus out of me.

And with DH, I never know how he is going to deal with anything concerning her.  Some days he ignores her carp and other days he feels sorry (I guess) for her.

Twit know that if she keeps after him she will wear down his resistance and he will respond.   DH is good for a while and then....boom, he's off the wagon. 

Buzz's picture

Perhaps ask your husband if he would like for you to screen SD’s incoming mail and toss anything that is not important.  He might welcome that, and then you might have his permission.

lala-land's picture

You poor woman...you should not be dealing with this in your retirement years.  I agree with The PTSD comment and staying away from Twit sounds like the best idea.  Good news, from her letter, it sounds like she may be shifting her crazy to the newly acquired in laws and she is looking for allies in that battle.  What ever you do, don’t get involved, even to side with the in laws.  I personally would get heavilily involved in my hobbies, in your case, maybe shift your focus back to the buying and selling of collectables.  I hope you are feeling better and your DH does not relapse any time soon.

Yep, she's going at the in-laws 'cause Twit still  has to have  control of her now married "baby".  But, unfortunately, they are in Europe and not here.  We are here in the US.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Hi, she's driving me. 

I don't always comment on your posts, because here in the Adult Skid forum it's generally our core group supporting each other and you get plenty of sensible comments. I have followed your story since Day One though, so I know what Twit has put you through. All that to say, I  understand why Twit (or even the thought of Twit) continues to affect you. Are you familiar with CPTSD? Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder can affect people who've experienced repeated and prolonged exposure to toxic people or situations. Please read up on it. During the worst part of my particular stephell (and for sometime afterwards) I definitely had symptoms of this disorder. Just when you feel safe and have peace, Twit pops back up, triggering you again. It's not "just a letter", but all the bad memories, trauma, and stress it brings back, too.

sandye21's picture

Exjulie, I have experienced cptsd too.  At times it can be very debilitating.  You keep reliving the experience in your mind over and over again  Many times it is ongoing so it just doesn't stop.. 

I was abused as a child both physically and emotionally.  This set me up so that I had a hard time setting boundaries.  I also have a hard time separating bad past experiences from present ones.  I have dealt with a narcissistic Mother who continues to dish out nasty barbs.  The last one was on my birthday when she wished me a happy birthday, then immediately went into a diatribe about how horrible it was when I was born.  SD and my Mother had many things in common, one being that they were both spoiled only children. But they are also sadistic and seeme to get enjoyment out of hurting people and animals.  SD used to love to blow in my dog's face and laugh because the dog was upset.

To this day I dread speaking with my Mother on the phone and every time I hear SD's name something inside twists and I can feel my blood pressure rise.  It doesn't take much to set it off again.  I am working through this with a counselor.  SDM,  is really helping me.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Oh yes, the phone! So many years of crisis after crisis with DH's family and skids, so many calls delivering bad news or drama. It got to the point where if the phone rang at night, my heart would pound, my mind would race, and I would feel quite anxious. Dropping our land line was one of the best things for me, but even so I still usually keep my cell phone on mute.  

You'd think removing the toxic person or persons from one's life would solve the problem, but in truth the scars of prolonged exposure run deep. It's the ugly gift that goes on giving, I suppose.

You have hit the nail on the head.  I, myself, have wondered why just the sound of her voice on a phone, or this lettter in the mail, can make me start shaking and all the carp she has put me through flows back.

I will read up on CPTSD because I was starting to think something was wrong with me for it getting to me like that.  And when Twit starts with DH I am never 100% certain just how he is going to go on it.  You know, two steps away from her and then ocasionally one step back.

My BFF, the profiler, says this is common because Twit is not normal and most people never have to deal with someone her extreme in their lives.....well at least family.  Generally, you meet a wacko and you can just cut them out of your life but this is DH's middle daughter.  My DH is a kind man and the fact that Twit has alienated all the rest of her family....brother, sister, BM; DH feels sorry for her.  I imagine it must be hard for him to deal with the fact that Twit is what she is.  And I go into uncharted waters here when I say he might even be blaming himself and his divorce for her craziness, though she, and the other two, lived with their mother.

Survivingstephell's picture

Any future mail can be marked RETURN TO SENDER.  Only those that know the fear of an unstable nutcase know that fear and I would reccommend you do that , if only to give you a sense of control over her contact methods.  

Phone : don't answer,   Mail : return    Email : mark as spam.   Social Media : block her

Any other ways she could contact you and trigger you?  You must a have plan to deal with this.  

Any updates concerning the outcome with her sister's picture during the wedding weekend? 

Don't know about that though I know she blew up earlier about him going to Vegas instead of THE wedding.  Keeping track of all that wedding wackiness from Twit would require a large flowchart which I don't care to get into.  Though the highlight like her telling DH that he shouldn't feel hurt about being left out because even she and her DH didn't know if they were going to be invited - which is a total bunch of carp meant to do nothing but make you feel bad for her and against the couple.

Makes me tink of that miltary term FUBAR.

Twit doesn't havea whole lot of ways to get to us.  We don't do social media.  Because of hearing problems a land line is better for us but I took off the answering machine beause I got tired of all the messages she would leave early in the morning as we are in a different time zone.  She can't get to my email as she has LONG been blocked.  DH has always said sometimes he reads her emails but generally not.  So, that leaves snail mail.

thinkthrice's picture

would return any certified mail from us "REFUSED"  She meant for the communication to be one way only.  She told us we could only contact her via an attorney.  But she would keep sending phoney, ghostwritten letters "from the kids" (TM) to us after she did the fake CPS report on us and expected us to keep child chasing.

thinkthrice's picture

by the Girhippo "from the skids" tug-on-Chef's-heartstrings to re-establish the Gir's non-parental status ad hoc free babysitting service notes/letters (TM) accidentally became kindling for the two woodstoves....whoops!

In response to what 2TiredforDrama I spent some time last night talking to my friend who is retired from FBI, about what 2Tired brought up.

My friend says that, after what I have been through it is normal to be upset when I hear in any way from Twit.  Twit is SCAREY.  My friend says that lit is similar to someone who hears that their attacker has been released from jail - ALTHOUGH not that severe a situation - but one doesn't feel safe.  She is not putting my situation with that, but says my feelings, reactions are similar because of the time I have been put through h*ll. 

While I don't engage with Twit, she keeps invading my safe space by messages, letters and other carp and it is sad that my DH cannot 100% cut her off or stop sticking up for her at times.

Twits thinking process is NOT normal.  You cannot take what she says at face value because of the way she talks.  THAT, my friend says, is deliberate and meant to keep one off guard.  I will say that even after all tehse years that trips DH up as what she says is not what she means. 

Yes, my friend agrees I should not interact with Twit, but with something like the letter coming, well, who would have thought.  Andit set off a reaction on me.

Basically, the more space between Twit onslaghts the better I will get.  Unfortunately, DH still worries about Twit because he is the only one that has anything at all to do with her.  He is much better than he use to be though at times still tries to turn something back on me, but much better.

FWIW, If anyone would like a go at Twit, get your net 

I am old, have seen a lot, met a lot of different people, but I have never met anything even close to Twit.

And, as the profiler pointed out, it is impossible to have any type of relationship with someone who babbles and is elusive.  That if Twit is confusing for me imagine how other people must view here when dealign with her.  She says that it is no wonder Twit has no friends and has aliented family.  Also, Twit's hubby doesn't let her near his co-workers etc.  I found this out a few years back before all this carp started but now I know.  He doesn't want people he works with to know just how crazy she is.  She can keep up a front for a short period of time, but not in the long haul.

Rags's picture

The “Return to sender” advice is right on point IMHO.  Order the pre red inked RETURN TO SENDER stamp and let DH know that you will be using it liberally on Twit correspondence.

Take care of you.

THANK YOU!  I try. and it helps to be able to talk out things here rather than start something with DH when Twit carp happens.

Rags's picture

I saw some discussion on CPSD above.  Are you going to look into getting some help with navigating that?  Maybe if DH were to participate in some therapy he would gain clarity and increased ability to stay distant from Twits antics.

notasm3's picture

I totally empathize with the PTSD/shaking reaction to Twit.  My situation with SS34 is very different - but I recognize the absolute terror/breakdown that can appear at the thought of having to deal with someone who is a potential threat.  It's easy for others to say "just ignore it" - but in some ways it's like a panic attack - not at all rational.  Someone who is afraid of flying or afraid of heights needs more than just saying "don't worry it's ok".

But it can get better.  After SS34 and his GF invaded our home, ransacked my most personal possessions, slept in my bed, and helped themselves to whatever they wanted I honestly felt so violated.  I'm not sure a rape would have been worse.  We'd arrived home at midnight and I crawled in bed - it wasn't until the next morning that I realized that I was sleeping on their sex residue.  I was so disgusted I almost vomited.

A couple of months later when I found out that SS had been invited to a family reunion (by siblings who knew nothing of these transgressions) I had a total breakdown and literally took to my bed.  Fortunately he and GF could not come so I was able to attend - but my reaction was anything but rational.

It's now been over a year and a half and I am much better.  But that's because I've had ZERO interaction with the cretins - even though they only live about 15-20 minutes away and have DH's only grandchild.  I have them blocked every which way.  I've had a great relationship with DH's siblings - but if they at some point wanted to pick a violent alcoholic/druggie over me (not likely) then I could release them also.  My DH has been so supportive.   I know he loves his horribly flawed child - I will do nothing to try to erode that.  But I am grateful that he does not pressure me to accept the unacceptable.  No apology could ever make it all right.

I am in my 70s now and like you have seen a lot.  I do not need to deal with people who bring bad things into my life.  People always say life is short - well it's even shorter when you get to be my age.