You are here

Insurance

Sambolina1's picture

SD21, who has said maybe 100 words to her father in the 3 years, sent him a lovely text tonight angry that he didn't tell her medical insurance expired when she turned 21. Honestly, he wasn't even thinking about it...he did call in her birthday...As if it's his job when we never hear from her, or know her status regarding school...in school she would have still been covered. That's pretty much all he was ever good for. Child support and/or insurance. I'm sure she will be asking him to pay the doctor bills. Uh, no. Maybe if you communicated on some level it would be a different story.

Last In Line's picture

Pretty sure kids can be covered until they are 26 whether they are in school or not. That is one of the Obamacare provisions.

ESMOD's picture

Yep don't need to be a student. Good way to buy voyes. Give them free ins.

ESMOD's picture

Tricare is basically the government and while it looks like they have a "young adult" plan that covers kids in this 21-26 gap, in typical Government fashion, the government must have written themselves an exemption into Obamacare.

ESMOD's picture

As a matter of fact, I cover my DH and his two daughters 22 and 18. They both have full time jobs, but it has just been relatively less expensive to carry them both on my plan because we had to cover the YSD anyway, and there was zero cost for having the OSD on there in addition. Next year, both girls are going to be on their own plans because YSD's company pays 100% of her plan and OSD has another issue going on.

OSD is pregnant with her BF's baby. They are engaged but who knows when they will get married. Anyway, my insurance WILL cover her pregnancy but will NOT cover the Child. She actually qualified for a state insurance plan that is free for pregnant women and children for households with low to moderate incomes so while she still goes through my insurance, this plan covers the difference between what mine pays and what she owes.

If she does marry the guy then I imagine that she AND the child will go on his plan. He actually works for the same company that I do, so he has pretty good insurance. (no I didn't know him, it's a large company!. If they don't get married, I think that she will go on her work plan and he or she will cover the child depending on who has better coverage.

enuf's picture

She is making herself the victim, "look at what you did to my by not telling me that my insurance was cancelled," good strategy if she wants her daddy to rescue her. It is probably a familiar dialogue between them, that has worked in the past, otherwise she would not be using it again.

What if you approached your dh headon by saying "your dd is feeling the victim in what you did to her. She is saying it is your fault that she does not have insurance. Even though she is 21, she does not think that finding out and keeping on top about her health insurance is her responsibility. She must get that from someone. Were you also raised that way? That when you became an adult your parents still had to manage your insurances?

ESMOD's picture

While I agree that adult kids should learn to take responsibility, I think that we have to be understanding that there can be a learning curve.

Shoot, when I was 19 and had my first apartment, I sent two checks for a phone bill because I didn't have 100% of the money but was getting paid again in a few days. So I post dated one check. WELL, i went stomping my little feet to the bank and complaining because they cashed BOTH checks immediately. The people at the bank educated me on not being able to post date a check. I also missed a final exam because I asked a classmate when/where the test was going to be.. and they told me the wrong info..doh! Teacher didn't let me make it up and I failed.

I guess my point is that sometimes when we are young we just don't have life experience to know certain things. I have to help my SD's with learning these kind of life lessons.

AND considering the amount of confusion on here about this policy stopping coverage at 21 instead of 26 like Obamacare was supposed to change, I don't think that we can blame the kid too much for not assuming (yes make an ass out of U and Me). The fact that she hasn't been good about communicating with her dad etc. well, that doesn't necessarily make it right for him to "punish" her by not notifying her that her insurance coverage is going to be canceled.

I really think that a courtesy call/text/email/letter notifying her a month or so in advance of her 21'st birthday letting her know that her coverage needs to be replaced by her after age 21 would have been the right thing to do.

ESMOD's picture

Yes, I learned haha. Expensive lessons often stick with you. But then again, I wouldn't have cancelled the policy on either of my SD's without a heads up to them. The OSD and I don't have a problem per se, but she has been off doing her own thing (on her own dime) since she turned 18. She doesn't make a huge effort to hang out with the family or keep up with us, but that's just how she is. I figure as long as she isn't coming around with her hand out... I'm not going to worry about it. BUT, I would have told her if her insurance was going to be invalid since I know she would have assumed it was still in effect.

Litay's picture

Yes, the age is 26. Since my insurance doesn't cost more for additional dependents, I've kept my SD on even though she doesn't talk to me. In order to spite me, she never goes to the doctor. Still, something might happen to her, and I would feel guilty for not covering her when it costs me nothing.

Tuff Noogies's picture

yikes 26???? that makes me ill at the thought of supporting fully grown adults.

when i turned 18, my parents said "you're paying for your own cobra now until you're 21. cuz until then they can collect from US and that's simply not gonna happen."

Rags's picture

Yep, ACA sets coverage of a dependent kid up to age 26. Regardless if a kid can be covered until they are 26, there is no requirement that a parent has to continue to cover a spawn until they are 26.

Can and must are two very different things.

ESMOD's picture

Tricare is different, I looked it up. I think it's because it is related to US govt military and so they can be exempt from Obamacare.

NoSweat's picture

I remember when we married and switched to new homeowners and auto, we specifically
told SD that she wasn't covered on the auto insurance anymore.
Plus she lives in another state, but used our address for motor vehicles.
I think with insurance stuff, which is for possible catastrophy, it is
a good idea to inform and not leave things to chance.