You are here

If you were never with SO but met their kids...

iloveit's picture

So I was just thinking...if you were never with your SO but you met his/her adult kids somewhere, would you like/want to know them? I'm asking because I have decided that it's now MY choice as to whether or not I want a relationship with adult SD's and I have to wonder if our personalities would even be compatible. I feel as if I should only be friends with individuals that I actually like so if I wouldn't want to know them outside of this situation....why should I try? It would never be an honest relationship and I really don't need that. I only have time for people I care about.

What do you guys think of that? Is that selfish??

End_of_my_rope's picture

Not selfish at all! I have spent almost 10 years not liking my SS, but not being able to say it to anyone. I thought I was supposed to love him because I loved his dad. Unless I met my SS on the street and he treated me with respect I'd have no problem, but he's not like that to anyone. I am starting to realize that I don't need to give respect to anyone that doesn't deserve it-and that includes my SS. My DH constantly accuses me of not liking SS and I always lie and say that I do..I can't wait until the next arguement (probably tonight when SS comes over) and he brings it up again. I am going to tell the truth for once! Seriously...why should I be so concerned about hurting his feelings when it's obvious that DH or SS don't care about mine. God, I love this site!

iloveit's picture

Right on sista! Isn't it a revelation when you realize that you're not mad, not sad, not regretful but that you just DON'T CARE anymore!!!! I love it too! I even told my SO last night that I just cannot have people in my life that are not going to be nice to me and I won't waste my time on them and that it includes his kids if they choose to be that way towards me. Why do I have a responsibility to love anyone?? Because I HAVE to? Because I am SUPPOSED to? That doesn't work...you love who you love plain and simple and I'm done forcing myself...not gonna happen!

007Lostit's picture

Amen!! That has been my revelation lately. I am so much happier for it too!! I feel more at peace now. Granted it could have come to me sooner lol. But I guess we realize things when we are ready for them. Wink

distorted reality's picture

I have never met my SO's kids face to face. After hearing about them, after hearing from them, I decided it was better to stay away until they were adults. This way if they should become nasty to me based on lies of BM.... I can set them straight w/o remorse. I would rather try to forge a relationship with them on MY terms, not theirs. If not, that's good too. }:) However, these are not kids (young adults) who would receive much respect from me based on how they were raised and what their expectations from everyone in their lives are. Not the kind of people I would associate with. JMHO.

caregiver1127's picture

There are plenty of bio parents that can't stand their children or even talk to them so don't feel bad that you don't like some stranger just because your spouse helped create them - you are an adult and so are they - if you don't want to have them in your life that is the beauty of being an adult - don't engage luckily no one is forcing you to see them.

Eyes Wide Open's picture

If I met his adult son, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have thought he was stable. It's just one of those things, you know? He can fake it for a little while, but then the real him comes out.

If I met his adult daughter (as she is now), even seeing her at a distance in Walmart, I would have said, "Wow, now there's a piece of trailer trash". She just oooooooozes skank.

NO, I would not be their friend.

ddakan's picture

SD21 - we wouldn't be friends and I wouldn't like her because she is a rudely person and we wouldn't gel.

SS20 - he's charming and cute, we have a lot of fun with him, but he's never around. he lives with BM and chooses not to rock the boat. he is mad at DH for "leaving" BM

SS17 - well, if I saw him on the street, i would offer him my pocketchange and give him a big mac.

scott bargas's picture

Interesting...Ive battle this question from day one when our first alone time he had a tantrum because he lost a video came we were playing against each other. He was 10 at the time..now hes 18. I have no children myself so I just passed this as how kids are etc..but has hes grown in front of my eyes there are still things in his persobality that I dont like, and have felt guilty feeling this way. I have told myself I have these feeling becuase he not "my blood"..and maybe he actual not that bad kid. Since I been on this site I see that Im not alone..but obviously Im concerned if I share these thoughts wife my wife I will create problem with the two of us.

bruisedpeach's picture

i adore my ss11. he is am immense kid who makes me laugh, is creative, handsome and one of the most intellegent little people I have ever met. I knew him before me and SO got together too and liked him then. Its the edges that need polishing, basic ettiquite and table manners, slight entitlement etc its not his fault its the way his BM is with him. He has auspergers and he just doesnt have a mean or ill willed bone in his body. he excells at school having just brought home the most excellent report card I have ever seen, bar the homework that doesnt get done at BMs. But he has potential to be an AMAZING person. He is the physical spitting immage of BM.
SS9 makes my blood boil. He is the polar opposite of his older brother. he is lazy, spoiled, selfish, mean, manipulative, whiny, ENTITLED, and in love with his own mum. When he is good, he is good. but it normally means he wants something. He is the physical spitting image of SO.

It is actually really hard for both me AND my SO..as we both feel the same way about both of the boys. He is about ready to give up with SS9 as he does not enjoy spending time with him at all.

But, if you asked BM to describe her children she would definitely say the same thing as above, only about the reverse. her youngest is her angel that can do no wrong and her oldest is a burden with his disability.

SD3 is too young to tell yet.
and she just hit her moody tantrum phase.

sparky25's picture

My ss18 isnt particulary rude or disrespectful unless we have a disagreement and he doesnt really mistreat me. Its more his personality. He's a drama king. Big talker..manipulator and has lied to my face on several occasions. So this has affected my perception of him. So Im battling is this just typical teenage behavior that is commom or is the reason my tolerance level gets exceeded because bottom line I just dont like him and is why I have no patience to deal with him..Does this make since?

iloveit's picture

I think it's tough to tell with teenagers sparky. I was an asshole as a teenager but it was normal teenage girl crap. I fought with my mother and was sure I knew everything. I obviously grew up and grew out of that but...I was particularly cruel to my parents. They are amazing people and I have apologized to them profusely over the years for that behavior but I turned out to be a decent human being with strong moral values. I am polite and respectful and that is also a reflection of how I was raised. So while ss18 might be unpleasant to deal with right now, there is a good chance he will get better with age. I am hoping for this with the SD's and so far...it looks like they might actually be decent people at some point also. I must say...as much of a pain in the butt as they have been this past year and a half they are trying to get their acts together. I'm hoping they will take the time they need to deal with their grief over their parents' relationship ending so that by the time I meet them they are adjusted. I won't see them before that either. I have judged them WAAAAY too much for that and it has a lot to do with the position my SO has put all three of us in. He did it with good intentions and his heart was in the right place but...now we have learned it should have been different and maybe we all would have been better off had he pushed us a bit more.

I don't know them and I don't want to judge them but again this is SO's fault. I am fully prepared to be more than civil to his adult spawn but the minute I feel out of place or disrespected I am done. I have read too many stories on here about how women have gone through this bs for years and if I have learned anything it's that I have to speak up NOW and not wait to be buried in that hole and that I don't HAVE to love anyone if it's unnatural. This has helped me out immensely and I'm so grateful. I feel stronger knowing that I have a lot more choices in this situation than I am led to believe that I do. I am really hoping that SD's attitudes are directly related to their situation and lashing out about their parents' divorce and not because they are shitty people. I guess only time will tell huh?

sparky25's picture

yeah time will tell. Im hoping SS18 wakes up. So iloveit your SD's are blatantly rude to you. yeah I would feel that same way that a shut down towards them would be in order. If my SO didnt back me up I would really have to evaluated the situation. My SO is diffinately a conflict avoider which is why SS18 has become the person he is. At like you have mentioned SS18 issues with his Bio parents breakup in the first place has never been dealt with..lots of anger in that boy

iloveit's picture

Well that's the problem...I have never met them. My SO felt the need to tell me EVERYTHING they used to say about me (they were angry about him being with anyone who was not their mom) and they were brutal. They just do not have good attitudes and it all starts with SO enabling that behavior. The REFUSE to meet me. After a year and a half. It's getting to the point where they might want to soon and now I don't know if I even want to. It's been awful with them. They play the damsel in distress act to get daddy's attention and take his attention away from me hoping that I will bail. It's getting to the point though where I think they are beginning to understand that they can't stop their dad from moving on and eventually...they will give in. My SO is in a band (lead singer) and he will be like, yeah SD23 is crazy she will rip girls off she's so protective and then in the same breath be like...she's really such a sweet kid though. WTF? Are you kidding me?? He's told me all these things about them which has caused me to judge them but then he's confused as to why I can't stand the idea of them and why I'm not open to a relationship with them. He caused that. After awhile I told him no more talking about SD's at all not even if it's good. I told him it was destructive to tell me what they say about me and what's more they don't even know me. The grace period for the whole, "You could be anyone so I wouldn't take it personally" bs has long passed. I no longer feel sorry for them because they're family is broken. It's time to move on and be big girls. Honestly though...it will be harder for them because my SO is going to be with me no matter what so they are punishing themselves by being so resistant and confrontational about me and this situation.

We'll see if they still come to the apartment when I say I'm not leaving next time.

bruisedpeach's picture

I think a lot of it comes with the basic moral values that are taught to them at an early age.

my skids have issues with entitlement, and the bm is one of the most entitled people i have ever come across in my life. something for nothing could be the title of her autobiography. she was the only child of an only child (her mums side) and her dad has 7 brothers. talk about spoiled princess syndrome. she actually said to my SO when they were in the thralls of separation 'NO ONE SAYS NO TO ME WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES'
the sad thing is that after all of this holier than though crap she spews she has no sense of self worth. I really hope my SO and I can work this crap outta the skids so they are decent, hardworking people one day.

iloveit's picture

Oh my SO's ex is EXACTLY the same way. She's had people catering to her every need her entire life starting with her own parents. My SO did most of the caretaking for their kids because BM is the laziest, most incompetant person on the earth. Now they are going through their divorce (still over a year later since she has dragged this out to torture all involved) and she's trying to take everything he has. She says that she was, "faithful and dutiful" thus she deserves all of his money. He never cheated neither did she, just simply fell out of love with her...she did nothing how could he want that for the rest of his life?! She doesn't feel like she should have to work at all. Why? Oh I know because she squeezed 2 entitled, spoiled brats out of her vagina more than 20 years ago! Yup that's a miracle all right no one has ever done this before you BM!

Shannon61's picture

I certainly would not want to know my SD(27) because she's all the things that I'm not . . lazy, selfish, manipulative, mean sprited and petty. When DH and I first got married she used to walk through the house wearing a pair of pants that read "daddy's girl" on the butt. It went downhill from there (she lives with us).

She recently got engaged and DH had the nerve to remind her fiance that she was: rough around the edges, smart mouthed, selfish, not easy to get along with, not friendly, etc. and asked him if he was sure he wanted to marry her. So DH actually tried to discourage the engagement and I told him he should be ashamed of himself.
I could be evil and tell her what DH said and cause a rift in their relationship, but I believe in karma and I know she'll get hers for being such a witch.

iloveit's picture

Um the whole "Daddy's Girl" pants thing is so f'ud up. No one past the age of say 2 should be wearing any article of clothing with that written on it! I'm thinking that's only appropriate for a baby onesie! Eew...that just creeps me out. It sounds like your DH doesn't want to lose his little girl so he's trying to sabotage the relationship? Do you think that could be it? I really hope not. There have been some posts on here about some seriously sick and twisted relationships with father and daughter that would make your head spin. I don't know if you saw them but check out this one:

http://steptalk.org/node/35789

I am really confused about these relationships. I don't understand why these grown women have a sick and unhealthy attachment to their fathers. It's just really gross to me.

bruisedpeach's picture

I have a normal, healthy relationship with my dad.
I had a normal healthy relationship with my mom. (she died last year)
I also have a normal, healthy relationship with my stepmom.
my dad NEVER EVER guilt parented me or my sister. he was straight talking, earn your worth. my stepmom, well. she is a bit spoiled but she does NOT throw it in anyones face. She has her PHD and worked damn hard to get it. She inherited young, and subsequently had 3 inheritances since but has NEVER used the money stupidly. In fact she helped my dad start his now, very successful business when he was bout 40. but if she could give it all back to have back the people she lost, she would in a heart beat.
Simples: I was raised by people that were raised well. I was taught that if you want something, go out and earn it. Manners dont cost a thing, but they are worth the earth. Dont lie, cheat or steal and dont trust anyone who doesnt value these simple rules.

iloveit's picture

Very well put bruisedpeach! 100% correct. I was raised that way as well. My parents were huge on manners and respect for others and to this day it's incredibly important. I would have the same expectations of my own children as well. Both of my parents have strong work ethic and raised me to be the same way. I never expected things from people and still don't so now when someone does something nice for me or gives me a thoughtful gift I am just so grateful and appreciative for that. It makes me feel important. Individuals who are entitled think they are deserving of things because they exist on the earth and have no intention of working to earn things. So that's why when they recieve gifts or anything like that it doesn't phase them. I would much rather work for something and earn it...now that's a sense of accomplishment and self-worth and that is priceless in my book.

Shannon61's picture

Iloveit . .thanks for the daddy/daughter link. My goodness that is totally disgusting. In my case I do think my DH wanted to sabotage the relationship because he felt like he was losing his little girl. I came down on him hard and threatened to tell her so now he's backed off, minding his own business and keeping his mouth shut. I've been trying to get rid of her for the last few years and now that I see a light at the end of the tunnel, he doesn't want to let her go. It's pathetic. I've also told him that once she's gone . .there is no coming back . . or I'm leaving.

Their relationship was a bit too close and in the beginning I was ready to move out a few months after I moved in. One night me and DH were in our bedroom w/the door closed and SD was cooking. She knocked on the door; DH opened it and she proceeded to feed him a forkfull of the food she'd cooked. I kicked him out of the bedroom. Now . .is it just me or was that totally inappropriate?

I too was raised with good manners and respect . . something alot of the young folks today no nothing about. SD had a bad attitude and a sassy mouth. If she were my BD I would have put my fist in it along time ago. She lives w/dad because her mom kicked her out when she was a teenager because she was a lazy little witch and that hasn't changed.

iloveit's picture

Shannon I'm pretty sure I'm just never going to understand these men and not being able to let go of their "little girls." They are grown ass women but yet they just can't let it go. I'm really glad you put your foot down, I totally agree...you deserve a life with DH and you should be alone in the house together. If her marriage fails she can get an apartment on her own or get a roommate or something and that's the end of it. I'm also glad you are firm with that and let your DH know that you will be leaving if that's the case.

My SO has made comments before like, "I know I have to let go but it's hard." I can understand that to a point but...he needs to encourage them to try things and not keep them from those things because he's afraid they will get hurt if it doesn't work. They are not babies, they are in their 20's and it's time for them to clean up their own cuts and bruises on their little knees now. They don't need daddy to kiss their boo boos anymore. I think something that is very interesting to me is that I have seen him want to hold them back from things, much like your DH is doing with his daughter and I find the dynamic although incredibly disturbing...it's fascinating. These women have expressed interest in different things and they need someone to tell them they should go for it not prepare them for failure, that's just setting them up! For heaven's sake - push them to be better not to rely on you forever that's just so unhealthy!

Like I said, just recently my SO has been understanding this and slowly he has acknowledged that the relationship with his kids will inevitably have to change as they become adults. Maybe he always wanted them to be on their own but it hasn't been until recently that I have seen him really want/need this for them. I believe it has a lot to do with them accepting the divorce of their parents. It's been such a slow process and up until recently they just didn't want to believe it would happen. Their mother makes it even harder on them while she discourages them from ever accepting me because it means they will betray her. She's wrong for that and all that's doing is further damage to the relationship they want with their father. Life will be easier when they accept my relationship with their dad but until then...it will be VERY slow and difficult for them.

z3girl's picture

Yes, very interesting question!! SD can be polite when she's alone, so I think if I didn't know her father, if I met her alone (she acts different when with her boyfriend) then I might not think poorly of her immediately. But I could also tell that if I were closer in age to her and met her in a school type setting, I never would have liked her.

I guess to make it more clear: if I were to meet her today without knowing her father, and I probably wouldn't have much of an opinion of her. She's just a young adult. If I got to know her better, I would like her less and less because her entitlement would start to show.

AVR1962's picture

I have asked myself the same question with my inlaws......to answer about the step kids first, no, they are very deceiptful young men. This is the question that helped me disengage from my inlaws.

Shannon61's picture

To iloveit - you are so right. For the life of me, I don't understand why fathers don't realize how much damage they are causing by enabling their adult daughters. It is so unhealthy. Heck it's a wonder my SD learned to drive. I had to have along talk with DH because when we first got married because things were so out of hand, he wanted me to go in her room to retrieve dirty towels. Not only did I not do it but forbade him to do it as well.

Shortly after moving in, I had to tell SD not to leave meat on the table overnight to thaw out. . .DH said he thought she knew. So I'm also dealing with him not exposing her to things she should know because HE did everything for her.

The other night DH asked me if SD had eaten the dinner he'd prepared the night before. I got disgusted and told him I didn't track her eating habits and reminded him we didn't have any babies in the house. I walked out of the kitchen and forced him to finish fixing his own dinner. SD will turn 28 this year!

SD will be getting married soon and her hubby will be in for a rude awakening. Not sure he's really sure of what he's getting in to but she's going to become his problem.

iloveit's picture

Good lord Shannon...well at least you are lucky to be getting rid of this tiny newborn adult FINALLY! I would be friggan dancing in the streets over that one! I would be furious about my DH's behavior if he did those things also. Just the other night my SO was discussing terrible SD20 and her potential move out of state and said something about her car not being good enough to get there. Well the other person in the conversation said, "You're not going to let her take that car are you...it's so dangerous!" Of course he was like oh no way. Ok...she's about to be 21, I PRAY TO GOD he makes her figure this out on her own. He doesn't want her to drive out there by herself #1 and #2 doesn't believe the car to be dependable. I don't even want to say it but I can imagine him BUYING her a car to do this! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! He just doesn't get it. She'll go out there and then want to come back and then once again...daddy flies her home and bails her out! He keeps saying oh no, she knows she has to get a job and be responsible. Really? I doubt that very much. I was the exact opposite of her at that age. I could have driven all the way across the country no problem and what's more I wouldn't have LET anyone tell me I can't. If she's strong (which she isn't cause she's a mini BM) she can do it but if not she'll stay here and sulk and be miserable which is pretty much what I am counting on at this point.

Shannon61's picture

You have no idea how happy I am. The only bummer is that it will take place next year and not this year . . like I was hoping. I'm afraid however that it's somehow not going to work out and she'll end up back here with us . .and I'll be forced to leave.

Good grief, sounds like your DH is leaning to buying her a new car .. . . just so she'll be safe. They just don't get it do they? The sad thing is daddy won't always be around. Reminds me of the time SD told DH that the washing machine wasn't getting her clothes cleaned (like she's a construction working rolling around in the mud) and he had the nerve to tell me "I'm looking at new washers." And I told him, that's all he was going to do . .look. The washer works fine and until it breaks down . .we're going to continue to use it. I don't know who's more sickening DH or SD. :jawdrop: