You are here

I had a previous post..need different advice

Nursejulee's picture

I posted a couple of days ago about my issue with my 20 year old stepdaughter. Long story short, i was her stepmom for 10 years. We were very very close. I divorced her dad around 3 years ago and she saw how much pain he was in. For the first 3-4 months, i became severely depressed and did not communicate with them. There was minimal contact between all of us. Her dad and i made a huge mistake and made the "middle man". She was 17 or 18 at the time and we vented to her about our issues which was wrong!! After being divorced 6 months, i went out on a date and made a huge mistake telling her. We were discussing our lives and i told her which I regret. she is angry with me and thinks I screwed over her dad and her. Now, her dad and i just got remarried in June which im not sure but may have made things worse She is not rude but does not show any caring whatsoever with me. I talked to her this past Sat night and told her I was sorry and asked for her forgiveness. She told me she forgives me but will never trust me again. A couple of weeks ago she was standing across the street from me and didn't even acknowledge me. I know she is angry and hurt but I've tried to love her as best as I could. A week after she ignored me, she asked me to help pay for her tuition. I paid 1000.00 towards it. I did it because I wanted to show her I love her but I know deep down she didn't really appreciate it.
She texted me tonight and said "hope you have a good week". I texted her back and made some conversation. I told her I loved her twice but of course I didn't hear it back.
So...here is my dilemma. She is coming to visit this weekend. Her dad and her have had a horrible relationship for the past 6-7 months because she is a compulsive liar and he caught her in lies. She failed out of college and lied to him about her grades. He sent her rent money but she didn't pay it. She kept the money and will still not tell him what she did with it. My main goal for this weekend is for them to work on their relationship and I'm going to stay out of it and let them hash it out. Now...as far as me and her..should I tell her in person that I love her and I know I've made mistakes and want a close relationship with her but I can't continue to force it. It works both ways but I'll continue to love her. Is that ok? Anything else I should do or say? Deep down, I don't think we will ever be close again and I'm having a horrible time accepting this. I've been obsessing over this which has been depressing me. I am a people pleaser and want everything to be good and be loved and it kills me that she doesn't "trust me". My SD is a very untrusting person. Once you are on her bad side, she is never the same. Please give me advice.

Nursejulee's picture

One more thing to add...over the 10 years I was a damn good stepmom. I loved them and took care of them. I never made mistakes with them. I did everything I could to make them "happy".

Nursejulee's picture

Lost, I agree with what you are saying and I am obsessing over this. I just want to make up for what I did and I hate thinking she feels like I screwed her over. I guess this is just so hard to accept...the fact things will never be the same. I just have to let this go I guess. I want to fix this so bad and maybe I'm over thinking it. This isn't in my control. P.S. I like to control things and want everyone to be happy happy!

Rags's picture

I think the path forward should be that you sit her down and ask how the two of you can work together to restore her trust in you, in your marriage to her dad and in her family (the three of you together).

A key part of that discussion has to be that trust is a two way street and though you understand that you have work to do she also has work to do as far as her avoidance of the truth (failing out of school, not paying her rent, etc....).

For this relationship to recover it will take both of you workign on it and communicating openly and without tension (as much as possible anyway).

IMHO of course.

Good luck.

forgotten wife's picture

stop telling her you love her with the expectation that you'll hear it back and that she can love you. she can't. even if she says it, you already know she's a "complusive liar". she'll let you give her money and keep you hoping for love from her ("hope you have a good week") but it's m-a-n-i-p-u-l-a-t-i-o-n.

work on your marriage. let her go. you're making a fool of yourself. sorry, don't mean to be mean...

Nursejulee's picture

Forgotten, I know this deep down. I am just an idiot wanting everything to be normal and great. It's starting to hit me that this is her problem.

forgotten wife's picture

it is normal. she's playing the role of the SD. this is how it is. great relationships between skids and their SM is not normal, unfortunately.

you're not an idiot. you just hoped for a different normal.

AVR1962's picture

I think what you are feeling is normal however look at it, step back and look......so you and your husband made a mistake, you get back together, you feel like you confided in her maybe things you now regret, it hapens, move on. She makes the choice whether to accept and move on too, and if you do not move fwd together it does nt mean that you have to beat yourself up over it. I can understand that you want a close relationship with your SD but again, look at what is happening here.....she is lying- how can any relationship be built on distrust? It cannot! She is using you for money and capitalizing on your guilt. I would not give her a penny. She has never come clean on what she did with the rent money your husband gave her, do you think she feels any guilt for what she has done. You are looking at you and trying to do your best but your SD is a user and you are playing her game.

I personally think you and your husband need to sit first before she comes over for the weekend. The two of you need to agree on what is going to be said and what you will allow and then your husband needs to handle it. You need to go shopping, spend the day with a friend, whatever. I would not go on and on, continuing to tel SD you love her. She heard it and she is obviously not receptive. You cannot make anyone love you but that does not mean you are unworthy. Give her her space, do not cave to guilt, forgive yourself and do not feel you have to justify anything to her or anyone else....when you feel the need to justfy or make people understand you it many times backfires on you.

When children are small, whether steps or bios, we overlook their hurtful statements, we forgive knowing they are hurt....we, as parents, bend over backwards to please and comfort our children. However, if we continue to comfort bad behavior we can expect more bad behavior. Your husband needs to set some firm guidelines with his daughter and you both need to stick to what is set.

Would you continue to be friends with someone who treated you the way your SD is treating you?

I have a bio and step that are just full of lies. Every time I turn around there is another lie about something I did or something I said, things being told to family as if they were true. I so wanted to love unconditionally and the relationship I had with my children was very important. My mom and I had not been close growing up and I was going to do everything in my might to not repeat this with my own kids. But never had I expected to go thru a divorce where ex would alienate me from my children with lies about our past. Just hius leaving made my oldest feel bad about herself and then when she realized he was not coming back and stayed gone for 2 years, she sucked up everything he said once he returned to bea part of her life, it totally messed her head up and she has been in and out of counseling since she was about 7, 24 years.....and I am to blame. She has made a choice to view life the way she wants to see it and what she sees is what her father feeds her, she wants his love and acceptance now like she did when she was a small child. I had to learn that my relationship is not like the relationship I had with my mom and I did everything I possibly coudl for my child but it is not good for me to let myself be a door mat for her to wipe her feet so I had to place boundaries. Does that mean I love her less? No, I will always love my daughter but I don't see us ever being close mostly because of the animosity she carries for me and the lies she continues to tell about me and what I have done to her.

Be strong, don't let anyone take advantage of you or make you feel guilty!

Nursejulee's picture

Yes I'm a nurse and we do get into that caregiving mode. I do go to weekly counseling and saw her today. She also gave me good advice. I really think I'm getting to the point where I am like "ya know what, I can't force a relationship. It's up to her and I can't continue to hurt any longer". I'm much better than I was the last few days. Thank you all so much for the advice. I'm taking in what everyone has had to say and it's helped sooo much. I am definitely codependent and I HATE that about myself. I've been that way for as long as I can remember.

AVR1962's picture

You can do it! I too have to fight my tendency towards codependency, it does not come to me naturally. In fact when I stick up for myself I feel guilty, question if I did and said the right thing. Everything I posted I was speaking from my own experience being right where you are right now. It took counseling for me to understand what I was doing that was not working and how to change.

When you draw those boundary lines with people who have used and abused you they stick right in thre with that blame game, and maybe in their heads they believe this is all your fault but you have to stop letting those thoughts in your head.

AVR1962's picture

You can do it! I too have to fight my tendency towards codependency, it does not come to me naturally. In fact when I stick up for myself I feel guilty, question if I did and said the right thing. Everything I posted I was speaking from my own experience being right where you are right now. It took counseling for me to understand what I was doing that was not working and how to change.

When you draw those boundary lines with people who have used and abused you they stick right in thre with that blame game, and maybe in their heads they believe this is all your fault but you have to stop letting those thoughts in your head.