You are here

I expected more!

Expecting More's picture

I came into an already existing family dynamic in which my husband's teen age daughters were pretty angry with him. Whereas he always had their best interests at heart, always worked hard, and was there for him, he had been overly authoritative, and had his own anxiety issues which were untreated until after we met. He recognized the error of his ways -- that he had not allowed dissent, been too strict. He apologized, tried to make amends. Anyway, his kids are very talented, smart, successful. But the younger girl, who has some psych issues, despises him, calls him only when she wants something, openly disregards him, is disrespectful and hateful. Because of this, I am "splashed" by her hateful attitude. She lived in the house for a few years before she moved in with her mom, and then went to college. The older sister, who has more range, and who we just went to visit in another state, said "the best she (me) can expect is indifference."

My husband has apologized, done what he can with his kids. However, it hurts to see how he is treated. He stayed behind at his oldest daughter's house - where he still s now - and the younger one is now there -- the younger one is using him as a passive aggressive whipping post. I guess I can't expect that they would treat me well -- since he loves me, and they are pissed at him.

I told him this morning that if I was his dog, the younger one would be nicer to me. Really, if he was a dog, the younger one would be kinder to him. It helps to just vent a bit about this… there doesn't seem to be s*(& to do about it….

Any thoughts?

Orange County Ca's picture

I agree with the above comments. Ask him to go to counseling for a few months. Literally a few months and offer to go with him. A counselor should be able to give him the tools s/he has available in a short period of time. This should not be a long term assignment, he's not being treated for psychiatric illness after all. If after a month he's not getting much out of it then try another counselor. You would be amazed at the insight a good counselor has and their ability to see trees despite the forest.