You are here

Hurt and Bewildered

BeverlyKay's picture

I'm new here and I came on here mainly to see if Other husbands did not take up for their wives when his kids are being rude, disrespectful or insensitive....

well it looks like it's more common than I thought...My husband says things to them but is very passive and never says NO or STOP or There will be NO disrespect toward my wife... I think until my husband lets them know we are ONE in agreement Our marriage is unfortunately in trouble...

Lots of things have gone on for 4 years or so with 40 yr old Step Daughter and the latest was she went to his 2nd wives daughters wedding and sent her dad pic of his Ex and her daughter...I FINALLY after 4-5 years finally stood up and said  Itvreally hurts my feelings that you send your dad pics of his EX, I just don't see the reasoning for that... She texted me and said she wasn't doing it to be disrespectful but she didn't know there was stipulations on what she was allowed to send Her Dad... Then she texted her dad and said she would not be back here and she was blocking me off of Facebook, which she did...

So very hurtful after EVERYTHING I have put up with and cried and cried about...She has been so controlling, a know it all, and made so many problems towards me that it's really hurt our marriage..She lives about 3 hours away and comes about every 2-3 months....When she comes over I basically retreat and let her have control and I just go to bedroom or stay busy or am just really quiet, not myself at all...So Now she told her dad that I don't even try to get to know her when she comes down... Well she is right about that, I used to try really hard but I've been burned too many times and don't care to be around her...

Any advice from yall I would appreciate!!!

thanks

steppingback's picture

There are many Dh's who have trouble being direct with their adult kids on this site. My very difficult OSS has returned to our lives because he is in the process of divorcing and now he needs help. One of his issues is ordering around women, which doesn't work for me very much. With this re-entry into our lives, I let my husband know that if he doesn't deal with the rudeness it would be dealt with directly by me. And that is just what I have done.  It is working for now.

I  am going to guess that the picture of the ex at her daughter's wedding was a "last straw" for you.  On it's own it doesn't seem too bad, but like with my adult OSS who still wishes his parents were together after being divorced for over 17 years, it would completely piss me off.  The thing is your SD was probably waiting for something to pull the "not visiting card."  So, it doesn't really matter what you said or did, you were going to end up here eventually.

In light of this, why not be yourself!  Standing up to her is good, take back your house if she ever comes back again. In fact, use this as an opportunity to say she is right, she can't come back unless she.... whatever.  If your marriage is in trouble, why not be who you are. Take a stand.  At this point, it sounds like it wouldn't hurt.

Keep writing here there are many others with good advice.

sandye21's picture

This is such good advice.  Most of us have gone through similar experiences with our skids who want to drive a wedge between our spouses and us.  The best thing I did was to join this site.  Another was to see a therapist, on my own, who helped me to gain the self-confidence and courage to let both DH and SD know the 'game' was over - no more B.S.

Disengage now.  The next time SD visits give DH the option of informing SD that she is to respect you as his wife in your home or you will.  Otherwise, if he brings her up, say something like, "Hmm" and change the subject.  Let him know with your actions and lack of dialog about SD that you are not interested in trying to make her like you anymore.  SD did you a favor by 'unfriending' you.  Make sure you block her so she has no access to anything that has to do with you.  Dispose of the picture with BM.

The main thing is to believe that you are right - you are being treated badly and SD is being catty.  You have a right to feel comfortable in your own home.  Stand your ground.

BeverlyKay's picture

Yes it was last straw... Many things before that I would just stress out about and cry a lot...

My husband today talked to her and asked her if she had changed her mind about coming back... I was so upset because he said nothing to her about treating me bad or being rude and disrespectful..He said if he pushes her she will never talk to him again and he's not going to alienate his daughter...

. He told her that I wanted to talk to her about all this and she said she would but she's just not ready yet...Omg it's been 10 days!!! Guess She's in control of THAT Too!!!  So frustrating!!!!

SoDisappointed's picture

I have waited 9 months and NPD 30SS has never and will never talk about it. Don’t hold your breath. 

SacrificialLamb's picture

Of course, he does not want to alienate his precious daughter.....poor baby. But his wife/SO?  No problem.

CANYOUHELP's picture

These doormat daddeees do not change, most of the time. Therefore, we have to be the change agents in our own lives. Your situation is classic and relatable to most of ours on this site. You cannot change him,  nor can you correct her jealous, nasty, inconsiderate, selfish behavior. She wants you out of her family plan, and will continue to try to make that happen. He plans on tolerating anything she does. You can stay the ..... away from their dysfuction and find your own inner peace NOT being a part of her well thought out an planned exclusion of you. Otherwise, your marriage will not make it. I have not seen mine in years and our marriage is much stronger than when I was trying to please these impossible people. I pray I never have to lay my eyes on them again. But, I do not blame them, I blame daddeeee's total lack of parenting skills. In the end, it is a loss for all of us; but it is what it is if daddeee cannot step up to the father plate.

Yes, she blocked you....celebrate! Trust me she will be creeping on you.....you, on the otherhand will care less and less over time.:-)

This site saved my emotional health and many posters here live my life or some form of it.  Stay here for guidance.

Jeni520's picture

I’m new here, and I so appreciate having a place to vent and people who can relate to my challenges.  I met my partner 5 years ago.  At the time his son was 17 and his daughter was 16.  My daughter was 11.  His son lived with him and his daughter lived with BM.  

When we met, his son was estranged from BM, and had been for several years.  His daughter was very close to BM and had been left in the dark as to why her brother and BM couldn’t get along.  I think the family thought they were protecting her, but it caused a huge divide between her and her brother as she would always defend BM and side with her.  

I never expected to have a deep connection with either of them.  I had never dated anyone with kids before so now, looking back, I can see how naive I was.   

For the first 3 1/2 years, I only saw them on the weekends.  Most weekends went well, and we all got along great.   Holidays were with our families combined, and everything went well.  I developed relationships with both of his kids and he developed one with my daughter.  Even our mothers became close.   

At this point, I felt closer to his son.  He would call me often during the week.  I was his go to when it came to problem solving and lending an ear.  In addition to the issues with BM, he also had school issues and anger issue.  I’m a licensed adolescent  therapist so helping him came easily to me.  He ended up graduating high school and going on to a technical school and graduating with honors.  It was so amazing to watch him beat the odds and make it, as when I came into the picture, there was so much worry that he wouldn’t.  

Due to a very messy and financially draining divorce and child support situation on my partner’s side, we had to wait to live together.   It took a long time to get his credit right and to be in a good place to buy a house and do things the right way.   Then finally it happened about 18 months ago.  We were so happy!!!

His daughter’s eyes had been opened up about BM prior to our move and she came to the new house as well. At the time we moved in, his son was 21, his daughter was 20 and my daughter was 15.  

My partner was working second and third shift (as he had to do for almost two decades) and I was holding down the fort.  Their parents had divorced when they were 8 and 9 and I divorced when my daughter was 10, so it had been a long time since any of them had real family dinners.   

At this time BM had moved down south and had little contact with her son and moderate contact with her daughter.   I was still the one building his son up and the one his daughter would vent to about BM, which can be a slippery slope.   Within 3 months of moving in, his daughter decided she had had enough of BM and started to distance herself.  I think she hoped it would bridge the distance between her and her brother, but it didn’t.  He can be very mean and cutting and their arguments were getting increasingly combative.   I talked to their Dad, and we decided we were in a good financial place and it was time for him to go to first shift.   He was able to change his shift fairly quickly, and things became calmer at night.  There was still a distance between his kids, but the fights had stopped.  

Then, the small arguments began with his son and I.  Because he had lived with his father since he was 13 and his father wasn’t home due to work, he ruled the roost, and didn’t know how to adapt to sharing a house.  It started off with things like not telling me he wasn’t going to be home for dinner (this kid can eat, so I make double of what he likes).   The first major disagreement was about a year ago and we didn’t talk for a few days.  His pattern is to sulk and withdraw and then come around again.  Our disagreements have become more frequent and still are about his lack of respect for the other people in this house.  

Our last issue was about a month ago.  He was complaining about my daughter being in the bathroom when he got Home from work.  I have had enough and I got angry as he thinks everything revolves around him.   I left and went to my room as I knew I was getting heated.  We haven’t spoken since.  He missed our annual Mother’s Day breakfast with his grandmothers and didn’t acknowledge my birthday.  He hadn’t been staying here either.  Only popping in occasionally to get clothes.  

His Dad is a very passive man and while I know he is aware his son has issues, he has also had to protect him as nothing has ever come easy for this kid.  The odds were always stacked against him, and I believe his Dad carries a great deal of guilt because of this, and allows him to walk all over him.  

He told my daughter in passing that he’s looking to move out, but since he told her that (about a week ago) he’s been here every night.  I honestly have a knot in my stomach as even though he doesn’t spend time upstairs or eat with us anymore, his presence is stressful.  I want to hide in my room all night which isn’t fair to the 2 girls as they want to spend time with me.  

I believe my partner wants to help, but doesn’t know how and so this continues.  When I try to bring it up he says he doesn’t know what his son’s problem is and that he’s a big boy and he can be on his own, but I know the love he has for him and my concern is that he will resent me if his son does leave. 

I started seeing a therapist myself as I feel trapped and I don’t know what to do.   My partner withdraws when we talk about it so it creates distance with us, I would appreciate any advice.  

sandye21's picture

Your Husband gave you the answer - and it is HIS solution.  I would agree with him and add that SS would then have the 'space' to think things through.  Every once in a while remind DH it was his idea, you hope it works, and you support him in HIS decision.

dysfunctionally_blended's picture

If she does not respect you in your home then why is this adult invited back?

This is a DH problem. Skid is an adult she is no longer an issue. Your DH needs to set rules with her. You are his wife, number 1. And basic manners states you treat all elders with respect period. IF she cannot handle that then she is no longer welcome. 

You and DH need to have that I-m so happy discussion. He is welcome to visit her at HER home alone but in YOUR home you will be treated as the host. 

Do not allow anyone to walk into your home and disrespect you, ever. Everything else that happens outside, social media, texts etc. Ignore and block. Disengage. She has proven she wants to treat you badly, keep your distance like you would with any other adult in your life who would act in this manner. You don't OWE her anything. 

Rags's picture

Why would you surrender both your castle and your marriage to an invader?  Rather than retreat and give her control when she is in your home you would be better served to be front and center and in control.  IMHO of course.

Good luck.

1StepForward2's picture

I think disengaging from SD, at least for now, may be a good thing.  I’m  sure your DH doesn’t want to see pics of his ex but would never tell his daughter. My ex’s daughter would come over and talk about her mother every time. I hated it but my ex did too but would never say anything to her.

I would never say anything either.  It was annoying, inappropriate and rude but did not hurt my feelings and if it did she would be the last person I would tell. These kinds of things occur constantly in step life and is not a hill I would choose to die on.

IMHO I would Focus on your relationship with DH and disengage from SD for your own sanity. 

Lemonygirl's picture

Just tell your DH you respect his need for a relationship with her,  however, it is not healthy or beneficial to you to have a relationship with her. 

He can visit her outside the home all he wants.  Read about total disengagement  and start to put it into practice.  Never discuss her with DH,  just nod and say oh really, and change the subject.

She will never change or like you, why on earth should you have to have that in your life?  Block, ignore, she no longer exists to you.

still learning's picture

One time ss32 tagged DH in a Facebook pic of BM "Looking pretty and going out on a date."  I saw that *DH* got tagged in a pic and there she was, Ms sickly looking little bird with a ton of makeup.  I didn't even get upset I just laughed at how obvious and absurd it was, plus I noticed that DH untagged himself not too long after.  Pictures can be deleted or tossed. Who cares what she sends DH, if you get upset then it will only alert her to your triggers.  

DH has never verbally stood up for me to the ss's. He did make ss32 leave our home at my insistence because I didn't want to live w/a homeless pothead ahole but he's never told ss to respect me or stopped his man baby fits.  I've been married 2x before and neither husband ever stood up for me for anything. Guess I have a habit of choosing weak spineless men.  I've had to reestablish the boundaries about what behaviors I will personally accept. Unfortunately I can't control everything that goes on in my home so when a rare ss32 sighting happens I secure my things and leave or stay on the other side of the house. He done went and ruined any chance of hospitality from me, his loss.  

BeverlyKay's picture

Yes you are right about her knowing my triggers. It Really wasn't THE picture honestly it's mostly about the being so insensitive or disrespectful to me... Guess after 5 years I just felt I had to speak up but you're right so now she knows my weakness... Sooo hard dealing with SD not thinking she's done Anything wrong... She is just a very rude outspoken selfish insensitive very controlling person ALL the time to pretty much everyone so she doesn't see she's ever done Anything wrong...So how do you ever sit down with these kind of people and try to get them to be sensitive to your feelings and respectful to you...

still learning's picture

She will never be sensitive to your feeling or respect you.  The key is NOT sitting down with people you know are going to abuse you.  Avoid, disengage, separate yourself from her and her fathers relationship.  Leave his phone alone, don't spy on their communications, if they want to visit let them be. You do not have to be a part of it.  

CANYOUHELP's picture

My mother sums it up in one word, "hopeless."

Let DH be the fool, they use him too....this is anything but family love; it's selfishness and jealousy; supported by DH, just so he can think he is a daddeee; more like the yes, yes candy man.

When you love somebody you want to embrace their life and ensure their happiness, which, in turn makes your happiness complete and fulfilling. Calling this behavior love, is foolish. You, we, cannot live in his blind fantasy. His adult kids either respect who are (and he learns to be a parent  and correct his kids inappropriate behavior); or you do not waste another single minute of your life with people who see you as eternal (or temporary), family waste. In this dynamic you have to protect yourself; you have nobody esle.

BeverlyKay's picture

My SWeet SD is 40 years old and has no kids. She lives 3 hours away. So she can't use the You can't see your Grandkids Card So I guess she's using the I won't come back Card.  My husband says you have to give her Time and stay calm because she gets mad easily so he is using kid gloves with her But He WILL talk to her...It's Niw been over 2 Weeks since she Announced She won't be back...The only thing she told him was that when she does come down that I don't treat Her as well as I treat My Bio daughter because I cook for her and she doesn't feel like we desire her to be there and    2) She thinks it's ridiculous me saying she hurt my feelings sending pics of his Ex because she did Not do it to be disrespectful!!!!

WHY ARE SO MANY MEN SCARED OF THEIR KIDS??? If My kids were rude we are going outside and having chit chat about disrespect and they WILL come back in and apologize OR they can go home....

I just DONT GET IT... Our spouses are the enablers and causing Soooo much drama by not nipping it!!!!

sandye21's picture

"She thinks it's ridiculous me saying she hurt my feelings sending pics of his Ex because she did Not do it to be disrespectful!!!!"  Yeah, right!  And I have some property on the Island of Hawaii I'll sell to you real cheap.

Ask DH what you do 'specifically' to make SD feel you do not treat her as well as your BD, that your do not want her there.  Then ask him what he would have thought if your BD sent him pictures of your ex.  I was accused of all sorts of vague 'slights' until I asked DH to be specific.

SoDisappointed's picture

As a DH with a DW that is unable/unwilling to stand up to her son and his disrespect of me, our marriage, and of her, I can say that it’s a bio parent problem. 

I here “It’s just going to take time” every time we get into one of those discussions about “the situation”. It doesn’t matter how much time passes. The kids won’t change and neither will the parent. 

Disengagement is the only possible way around this. For me it’s very unnatural and it is VERY hard. There will be all sorts of things to trip you up and expect that your spouse will become resentful. It’s “normal” and it all sucks. What you need to do is reclaim your sense of self and sanity. Then figure out if there is enough good in your marriage to continue. 

One thing you may need to decide is if you are OK with your spouse never having your back. 

BeverlyKay's picture

Does Anyone have trouble of feeling guilty or wrong not speaking or being cold or being blunt with stepchildren because that's not how you were raised and you feel you're not acting the way God wants us to act?  I have felt hate towards my SD and I haven't felt Hate since I was a teenager...I am sooo glad I found this site because No one really understands...I have learned so much from a lot of you that have been going through this for many years...

Thanks for any help yall

CANYOUHELP's picture

I do hate the feelings I have toward them; they are feelings I feel for nobody else.  Honestly, I have never had any other people in my life treat me this way either, personally or professionally; for the first few years my feelings were is shock, I believe. My husband transformed into a bipolar personality, as well. Eventually I awakened  from my dream life  to face the sick reality.  That is why I have to stay away from them. I turned into a stressed, silent,  expendable spare part whenever I used to be around them. Why would I waste my time around people like that?   I will never like those feelings I have, but I know that I am not that person any other place in my life. Such feelings, I believe, should guide your action and next positive steps.  They are signals.  I still hate the situation, but I am much happier now and accepted my life without all the unneeded drama.

SoDisappointed's picture

Its unnatural and totally against everything I believe in and how I was raised. It makes it incredibly more difficult because you have to change who you are instead of grow as a person or couple. I struggle with having separate lives between my wife and I whenever she sees her kids. I don’t know if this will ever work, so I have no sense of security in my marriage. 

fairyo's picture

I don't think you have to change who you are- for me it was more about getting the person I really am back again. Now I've left I see things much more clearly and know that I am a calmer, more objective, more compassionate, healthier, and much more peaceful person. For me, now, having been through the emotional trauma of the past few years, it is so, so much better. Why didn't I do it years ago? Because that was not the right time- when the right time came, I took charge of my life and I'm not looking back...