You are here

How to act toward his daughter???

cowlypso's picture

This is my first time posting here. I'm currently in a serious relationship with a widower. His late wife died 6 months ago, and we've been dating for 4 months. I've known the whole family for about 7 years through church. Our relationship is serious, and I am anticipating a marriage proposal within the next few months if not sooner. I do not have any children of my own, and have never been married.

He has 2 adult daughters. One just finished her junior year of college out of state. She is a good kid, mature, and although she has expressed her dissatisfaction with him dating, she is respectful and shared a meal with us last time she was in town. I don't really have any worries about her.

His other daughter just finished her freshman year of college, and has been a lot more trouble. She was living at home with him up until a few weeks ago, when she moved out to live with her aunt. This was after things kept escalating and getting more and more awkward. It got really bad when my guy went out of town and she got onto his computer and downloaded (and shared!) our chat logs. She had told him that me coming over to the house made her uncomfortable, and that she felt like I give her weird looks when I see her.

I see his younger daughter around church usually on a weekly basis. I really have no idea how to act or what to say. I don't want anything I do or say to be misinterpreted by her. So far, I've just sort of been ignoring her. I'd really like to get to the point where she is not uncomfortable around me. It tears my guy up horribly to have to choose. Easter was a mess - she'd initially refused to come to his mom's for dinner if I was going to be there. Then she decided to come, but kept herself buried in her phone texting the whole time and left as soon as we were done eating (it was clear that she did not want to be there). Most recently, she has said that she does not want me to come to her dance recital, because seeing me there would stress her out. Unfortunately, he had asked her whether or not it was okay if he brought me, since it is "her day", so he's got to stand by his word to her. (He did say that he would not be giving her that choice again - in the future it will be whether or not she wants "us" to come.)

It just hurts so much to see him trying not to lose his daughter over his relationship with me. At this point, though, it's gotten so awkward that I'm afraid to say anything at all to her. She has come up to us twice now when we were out together, but she focuses on him and doesn't even look at me or acknowledge me. I guess it's a step forward that she will approach him while I'm there (she wouldn't before).

I guess I'm wondering if I should make the first move, or if I should wait for her to come around. I haven't wanted to pressure her too much, especially since we started dating so quickly after her mom's death. But on the other hand, is saying "hi" to her really too much pressure?

I'm totally new to this whole thing, and completely clueless, so any words of wisdom are welcome.

knucklehead's picture

Whoo, wee. The wife was dead TWO MONTHS before you started dating?!?

Honey, I see red flags flying EVERYWHERE here.

1. Long term marriage, as children of it are adults.
2. Wife died 2 months before you started dating.
3. Relationship is ONLY 4 months (MONTHS!) old, and you're talking marriage. WTF?????
4. You've never been married and have no children... you cannot possibly know what to expect.
5. You are expecting a marriage proposal within a few months... sounds VERY MUCH like this man is lonely and needs a "wife" in his life... and it doesn't really matter who.
6. He is GRIEVING. It sounds like he is trying to ignore/replace the grief with the excitement of a new relationship.
7. His children are grieving. I'm all for widow/er(s) moving on with their lives and their children should be supportive. This is too soon. WAY too soon.

Grieving the end of a marriage is said to take half the length of the marriage. Grieving a death is said to take "at least" a year.
What's the hurry? Why are you so eager to jump into this situation? Are you considerably younger than this man?

knucklehead's picture

It could be a factor. (Although it may not be.)

She could be a mature, well educated, financially secure, emotionally stable woman.
Or...
She could be 20, high school dropout, looking for a "daddy" figure to support her, and desperate to find acceptance, even at the expense of rational thought.

lucy51's picture

cowlypso,

Perhaps one of the reasons it's so awkward is that he is marrying so soon after his wife's death. I know that men do that, but he must be grieving and you must have to listen to many stories about her. I would think that the kids are puzzled by this and worried that he's moving too fast. Does he discuss his feelings about you with them and listen to their concerns about his marrying so soon? I have been a widow for nearly two years and can't even imagine it. But then again, I would never marry a man with children again, and it's pretty darn hard to find someone without. You need a lot of help from him if this is ever going to work. I would wait to marry until he makes an effort to talk to his kids about marrying you. They've lost their mother and are likely grieving, too. The best advice I could give you is to slow down. Many widows and widowers talk about their transition relationships (first after their husband/wife's death) as not lasting. As someone who has never been married before, you are walking into a lot of feelings, and it's bound to be very awkward. I would talk to your minister or a grief counselor about what lies ahead for you.

cowlypso's picture

I appreciate your concerns about the timing of our relationship, but I can assure you that they are not an issue. His late wife was sick with cancer for 6 years before she died. He has been very consistent all along that he had pretty much finished grieving her before she died. He is committed to moving on with his life. We have had lots of discussions about this, as well as sought guidance from mutual friends in the church. Knowing both of us, and having talked with him about where he is, they are all on board with our relationship. Just this weekend, two different people who have known us both for years found out that we are dating, and they were thrilled for us.

He is currently living as a single man, not a widower. When you walk into his house, his late wife's clothes have all been given away. Her things have been cleared out of the bathroom. The photographs of the two of them are put away. There is one single small family photo in the house right now, and that is only there to appease his daughter when she visits. He treats me like a princess. And no, I don't have to listen to tales of his late wife all of the time. She doesn't really come up much at all. He fulfilled his vow of "til death do us part" and he is truly ready to move on.

Yes, it's fast. But I also don't think that it's at all unreasonable for us to be discussing marriage at this point. We've known each other for 7 years. If all goes well, I would like to get married fall of 2013, which would be after more than 1.5 years of dating. His kids are definitely aware of where this is heading. His daughter noticed when he took down the couple photo of them with the wedding bands draped over it, and accused him of pawning the rings to buy a ring for me. They know it's coming. (And no, he didn't sell the rings. He took the photo and the rings to a frame shop and had them frame them all together nicely, then boxed it up for storage in the basement.)

And yes, I'm younger than him. He's 46 and I'm 31. I'm college-educated, have advanced degrees, own my own home... I'm financially secure and not looking for a "sugar daddy" (if I was, he's not the guy!). We get along great together, and the age thing is not an issue for us.

We have a good relationship in which we communicate a lot. We both love each other very much. He is looking forward to marriage (and would marry me right now if I'd let him), but we are taking time to let his daughters get more used to the idea. But I'm not going to put my life on hold for several more years because they don't want their dad to get remarried. And he doesn't want to put his life on hold that long either.

The real issue with the kids, besides it just being fast, is that their mother was a very jealous woman. She was jealous of the time that he spent volunteering at the church. For a while, the two of us volunteered in the same area, and she was convinced that we were attracted to each other. She voiced these concerns to the kids. They have been told multiple times that there was never any interest, attraction, or impropriety, but the damage is done.

So, the question that I need help with, is what is the best way for me and him to work towards a decent relationship with his daughter? Is it best for me to continue to ignore her and let her make the first move when she's ready, or should I reach out in some way?

knucklehead's picture

Why not ask her if/why she doesn't like you?

I'd be willing to bet she will mention many of the same things I did. Tell her you understand. You shouldn't "ignore" her because that's just rude.

If you've known this man 7 years, you have ONLY known him as he dealt with his wife's illness and death.

And, finally, Oh, Shit, There's the truth. The wife was dying with cancer, and his DH was "volunteering" at a "church" with the woman he began dating 2 months after the wife's death.
Do you REALLY not understand this??
The wife wasn't "jealous." The man was WRONG. He was carrying on this "thing" while his wife was alive and she knew it. Are you really going to say that there was no attraction to you for SEVEN years until the second she croaked???

Ugh. I have nothing else to offer you. I don't respect your choices, his, and feel sick for his children. Just remember: karma can be a royal bitch.

cowlypso's picture

He did nothing wrong. I did nothing wrong. The time when we volunteered together was 3 years ago! As soon as she said something to him about her concerns, he immediately cut way back on the amount he was working with me. Coincidentally, around that same time, I ended up getting involved in volunteering in another area of the church. Then I moved an hour away, and was only in the area on the weekends. For the 2 years before she died, I did not see him much at all. Certainly never spent any time volunteering alone with him!

And no. I had absolutely zero attraction to him before his late wife died. He was a married man! There was no "thing" going on at all. When he first asked me out, I was completely overwhelmed because I still thought of him as her husband. He was a loving and devoted husband. He took good care of her up until the moment she died. He did not let anything get in the way of that.

Mindygirl1's picture

OK...brutal honesty here....The way his kids are treating you right now...get ready honey...it is going to be the way they will treat you for the rest of your life with their daddy. The fact that you call their deceased mom a JEALOUS WOMAN is just downright disrespectful of the dead. Hell I am a jealous woman over my hubby. If she suspected something was going on between you two before she died and now you are together sounds as if she could actually smell you rubbing around on her husband..not that you really were but womans intuition cannot be explained. I understand that your boyfriend grieved his wife for the 6 years before her death..I did that as well with a boyfriend of 10 years. I staretd dating a month after he died. I can assure you his family felt the same way and 10 years later are still as big a pain the butt as they were when we first started dating. Not to mention should you and the new boyfriend decide to have children as you are so much younger than him. If you want my advice - which I am sure you don't...don't bother with this 46 year old. He has too many years on you..find someone that you can do all the firsts with - like having children. You are buying into a ready made family and believe me if you have not already had your own children there is no way in hell you could ever relate to how horrible grown children can be. If you decide to marry this man get ready for the ride of your life. If you have a strong man he will choose you over the children when they act up....if not, you are going to be left mad and crying each time he picks them over you in a family dispute. Jealous....you won't know what real jealousy is until he picks them over you....Take Care....

lucy51's picture

Again, I'd insist that he do some work on his relationship with them before you throw yourself into the fray. He needs to let them know how much you mean to him so that they will at least know that he would like them to treat you respectfully. And I'm not sure how I feel about him taking down family photos. If I were his kids, that would bother me. It's like his life before didn't exist and we all know what denial brings to us. My husband kept many pictures of his kids up and even some of his ex. I understood that it represented his history, but finally asked him to take her portrait down, which he quickly did. Just so you know, I don't believe in pre-grieving. I understand that he knew she was dying and that it took many years, but you don't "move on" in two months, no matter how appealing that is. I'd be suspicious of this.

StepX2's picture

I had a totally different response written before this but I thought I better not be so harse.
The one thought I do want to throw out there is that LIFE IS FOR THE LIVING. We're not in Victorian times where a widow/widower wore black for months on end and did their best to not go out in public nor are we so void of all emotion and morals where we go out and party the day after we bury our loved one. Why begrudge someone for wanting to enjoy their life? For the person that said they don't believe in "pre-grieving", I don't know if you've ever had someone close to you suffer and then pass from cancer or some other debilitating illness, but even if you have, everyone grieves different. Death is difficult for everyone but when the person who died has been ill and/or suffering for an extended amount of time, the death can almost be a relief for the survivors and that in itself becomes a whole different issue when the survivor goes through the "guilty" phase of their mourning process.
The OP was asking for advice on how to act around the younger daughter who the OP does understand is grieving the loss of her mother. The OP sounds like she is trying to be understanding of the daughter's feelings but would still like to make an attempt at a relationship with her and just as many others on here are going through problems with their SO kids but are met with resistance, a person can only take so much b*#&S*#@ before they stop trying.
My advice would be to continue to be civil and under the circumstances give her a little more time than you would normally give someone and then if the daughter still seems distant to you, I would do as knuckle suggests and try to talk to her and find out why she feels the way she does toward you. At the least you may be able to clear up some of the misconceptions she has about your and her dad's relationship, the same misconceptions I see others write about on here where the BM has planted the 'hate' seed even when there wasn't a death involved.

Towanda's picture

Cowlypso,
I feel for you. I didn't date my DH until his wife was dead for 10 years and still got treated that way. I applaud your SO for stating that in the future his daughter would not be given any choice whether or not you will be attending something.
Everyone grieves differently and no one can judge anyone until they have walked a mile in their shoes. You came here to ask for advice in a professional caring way and I don't think you deserved some of these responses.
I would keep your heart closed to these girls. You will probably be in for some real heartache and if you haven't opened your heart to them wholeheartedly, it won't hurt so bad.
Read some these threads, read Stepmonster, I just wish I knew about this sight 10 years ago, it would have saved me all sorts of pain and heartache!
Be polite and smile and treat her like a coworker or church member, but don't TRY, it will backfire.

jennaspace's picture

I just can't imagine a father doing this to his dtr. His wife died and you started dating 2 months later??? And you were someone the wife felt uncomfortable with, but you claim her concerns were totally unfounded, yet you dated 2 months after she died? If I were the dtr I would be very hurt too.

You are witnessing how he treated his wife and now his dtr. It is not sensitive to their grieving to date you openly after 2 months or to insist to bring another woman to the child's "big day" months after her mom died.

Yes, people respond differently with grief. I know as I had my sister die at 34. I witnessed different responses. This is not about him responding to grief. It's about how he moved on from his dying wife before she was dead and how he is void of sensitivity to his dtr after her mother died.

StepX2's picture

Where do you get that he moved on before his wife died? He volunteered at his church. According to Cowlypso, the wife was a very jealous woman and shared her concerns with her daughters. Was he supposed to stay at his wife's bedside 24/7. It is so easy for people to judge others and even if you've been in a similar situation, no one can ever say that they've walked in the other person's shoes as there are so many different variable in each and every situation.

Journey1982's picture

Are peope missing the point of what Cowlypso was asking for? She wasn't asking for your opinion on how and why she started dating her SO, all she wants is some advice on how to move forward with her SOs daughter. It seems like people on her like to judge people instead of sticking to the topic and offering sound advice.

Poodle's picture

I can see how reassuring the removal of photos, personal effects, is from your point of view but thinking about this from the daughters' points of view one can see it seems unduly hasty. A more gradual removal of the personal stuff may have been more tolerable to them. I wonder if he shouldn't take the framed ring etc out of the basement where it is hidden away, and offer it to the girls? Seems strange to put it where no-one can have it. Might be a peace offering?
I agree with other posters who advise that you check a bit further with bereavement services as to what to expect. My instinct is to wait for any significant movement towards them, such as trying to discuss their feelings with them, to AFTER the first anniversary; for, irrational though it is, anniversaries mean a lot to people and they will be concerned about their mother's first anniversary and how their father relates to this.

Mrsbmckee's picture

I did not read all of the previous statements but as for the people who say you are moving too quickly.. All I have to say is my grandfather left my grandmother and remarried to a long time friend within 5 months and is happier than he has ever been. My grandparents and I were very close growing up and they helped raise me as my mother was a single parent and worked a lot. I hated the fact that he left her and was moving so quickly. I know their mother has past away but the feeling of moving on might be something she is experiencing. I was AWFUL to my grandfathers new wife. I cussed her, called her names, even refused to be in his life if she was going to be. My Gpa put his foot down. He sat me down and told me he loved me, he told me I would understand companionship and the need to be happy and in love in your life, he then told me that he did not want to do this but that she was going to be in his life and if I didn't respect them that I would not be allowed to be around him. When the switch was flipped and this was no longer about me I became angry and I said some horrible things that I am sure he still remembers to this day. I didn't speak to him for about 2 months. He would call occasionally to say hi but I would let it go to voice mail. Eventually, I realized that I was being ridiculous and to see him happy was what was important. I know everyone in this family is grieving but that doesn't mean that your BF doesn;t love you, or is trying to replace his previous wife. I would try to talk to him about handling his daughter this way. The older one will help her come around even more quickly. The main thing for you to do if he takes this approach is to distance yourself. Say hello and be polite but do not push. My gpa's wife was polite and eventually I started conversations and apologized for my outrageous behavior. We are now civil friends and I wish them the best. Good luck in your situation.

Delilah's picture

I think most people would have an opinion on the manner of your development of your relationship, even if its not intended to be a negative judgement, because lets face it it was fast. Fact.

I personally think everyone reacts very differently to long term illness, death. So what works for one, doesnt work for another and it could be quite true that your OH has moved on in terms of grieving and being ready for commitment however that doesnt mean his kids are, doesnt matter if they are adults.

In addition to this, I am not suggesting that anything happened between you and your OH while he was married however his late wife believed something was going on. She was suspicious of her DH's interest in you, and imo it this caution was justified because even though nothing happened between you both its clear your OH always held a torch for you. Didnt you mention he asked YOU out? The dating commenced only 2 months after his late wife died. So your OH WAS attracted to you by the sounds of it. I am not going to condemn his wife's jealousy because she was his wife and her feelings imo were justified. In her shoes you also would have felt insecure and frustrated, dying and you are losing your family in more ways than one. I am not going to rip your OH apart either, because he had to watch his wife die and because he was faithful to her. We cant help we are attracted to but we can help whether we act on it or not.

Unfortunately, because your SD's are still grieving, as their mother already voiced her worries that their dad was interested in you, because your OH moved on so quickly (no matter how innocently), because your relationship has developed at break neck speed (again no judgement from me) ALL of this must be really confusing and upsetting for your sd's.

I dont think you are the crux of the issue really, but you likely will be a target for these emotions as they have lost their mother and will not want to blame their only living parent, as they need him atm. Your OH really could have managed the whole thing a bit better. Has he talked to the girls? Is he helping you how to interact with them?

Ignoring them will only really make you look like you have something to hide, that you are guilty of something. It doesnt reflect well on you,even though I appreciate its because you dont know how to deal with the situation.

Smile at them, acknowledge them, invite them to dinner to get to know you (somewhere neutral) but dont be insulted when they say no. This is going to take time. I am NOT suggesting you put up with abuse or nastiness, however if that does happen I would expect my DH to deal with it immediately. Suggest ways which your OH can manage things sensitively, sometimes men can be dense when it comes to things like this. Give them some time. Talk to a couples counsellor, one who is supportive of SM's.

Then go from there.

CSA's picture

Lets Empathize..

How would yopu have felt if you mother died and your father had a new girlfriend in two months? then emptied the home you grew up in what made it a home, all to appease the new girlfirend and make her feel comfortable?

christag's picture

Let's try to empathize with the father. His wife died and he wants to move on with his life. Why don't his feelings matter and only the kids matter?

Some people don't want to be reminded of the past. they want all of their late SO's things gone. they want to be happy, find someone new and move on, not live in the past. They want to be happy and have love in their life.

The father needs to set the example for the children in these case. Grieve and move on. Two months is more than enough time.

Anon2009's picture

I get what you are saying about the treatment of the new GF/Dad's wife. It's not her fault that the BM died, and nobody deserves to be treated like dirt.

But I also feel that they will always miss her and like you said, everyone grieves differently. They will miss her when big events come around in their lives, like graduations, weddings, promotions, births of/events of their own kids, etc. And they'll wish she could be there for them to turn to for advice in life. They'll wish they could call her to say hi. To put a time limit on anyone, dad or SK, for grieving is wrong.

I think a better way for these skids to obtain peace in their lives would be for Dad to suggest counseling for all 3 of them (him and SDs- that way the counselor could hear his side too) or suggest they go on their own. Maybe the latter option would be better. Counseling would give/teach the SDs healthier coping mechanisms of dealing with the loss of their mom as opposed to treating the OP like crap.

CSA's picture

Seriously, If my dog died I would prob be heartbroken enough to wait more then two months before replacing it.

christag's picture

My husband and I started dating about 3 months after his wife died. This is very very normal. Over 50% of widowers who remarry get married within 2 years of their wife's death and many men are dating within a month or two. Men grieve very differently than women and many husbands when dealing with a prolong illness have already accepted that they need to move on before their wife has died.

When dealing with widowers' daughters, there's no easy solutions. My SD was 17 when we got married. None of my skids have accepted me and I've come to terms with the fact that I will never have anything to do with them.

Generally if the kids do no accept you at first, then that isn't going to change and you and your widower need to decide how you want to proceed.

I suggest you read Abel Keogh's book, Marrying a Widower, which has a lot of good advice. Abel also has a website with a blog with a lot of good advice. He's a widower himself and he remarried about a year after his wife died.
http://abelkeogh.com/

cowlypso's picture

Thanks to the people who actually provided useful comments. It is hard to strike a balance between being friendly toward her and not giving her something to twist and use against me. At this point, I'm worried that even greeting her could get twisted by her as me pushing her to accept me.

It makes me sad to think that she might never come around. I guess it would be easier if she'd either come around or leave, but instead she wants a relationship with her dad with absolutely no trace of me. It will make holidays difficult. It will hurt my guy terribly to have to split his life like that.

I have definitely been reading Abel Keogh's stuff. He's actually got a facebook group for women dating widowers (and just recently started one for widowers dating again).

I heard today that she posted something rather nasty on facebook about me and maybe her dad as well. I heard about it from my friend who heard about it from somebody else, so I don't know what exactly she posted. Not sure what's going to happen with that one. I guess it's proof that things will probably get worse before they get better.

Towanda's picture

Abel Keogh. Guess I'll be downloading some of his stuff to my Kindle!
As delicately as I can express this without drawing any ire, the deceased have a tendency to be uplifted to "saint hood" by merely dying. It is sometimes an impossible task to compete with a dead woman. This is true in my case. I too have lost my mother and loved her very much but she was a human and a sinner like all of us. It is not fair to put a brick wall up when someone new comes into your family. I'm sure all of you would not like being held with disdain for being alive and breathing. It would be like saying "I will never love another child as much as my first" The second child comes along and guess what? You heart is big enough to love that child too! My sons have no trouble accepting this. They are glad mom found someone . There is no hatred towards my husband, no comparison to the dad they lost (trust me, my first and second husband are complete opposites) but my step daughters have been on a hate campaign since our first date and he had been a widower for 10+ years. We now have been married 10 years and dated 2 years. My stepson was very wary and shy , but he too has denounced the hate his sisters have spewed.

LizzieA's picture

I was thinking about this situation and why it's so difficult.

First, for a child, the parent is an irreplaceable loss. You aren't going to go out and get a new one! So to his DD, seeing a new woman so soon is like saying that her mom was replaceable pretty darn easily. Maybe it's not logical, but I think it's understandable. The irreplaceable loss is much harder to get over, don't you think?

Also, why this is offensive to others, including me, I must admit and had to ask myself, we tend to believe that the marriage bond is a special and rare one (perhaps against evidence). And it IS in the soul mate category. I know, I've had both. Could I find another DH, someone so in tune with on every level? Not easily. And I wouldn't even want to get married again should I lose him.

So someone can lose their "soul mate" and within a month or two, find another? Ha. Why can't all those single guys and girls out there find their soul mates so easily? I was 48 when I met mine, after two bad marriages.

I have to conclude that when people move on quickly that a) their marriage wasn't that great (hey, if I'd lost my EX I would not have been devastated) or b) other forces are at work here, like the need to fill the gaping hole, companionship, sex, etc.

I just know that if I lost my DH (and I imagine sometimes to scare myself), it would be like losing a body part. And I would not be jumping into marriage with some new person within months. They just couldn't measure up and I would have trouble allowing that kind of inferior closeness.

In divorce, it's OK to scorn the previous mate and be honest about how crappy it was. When they die, not so much.

Abe's wife killed herself, btw. That sounds like a good marriage, not.

cowlypso's picture

There's a lot of different theories about why people remarry after their spouse dies. The prevailing statistics say that men tend to remarry a heck of a lot faster then women. Also, it tends to work out that the happier a man was being married, the faster he remarries; the happier a woman was being married, the longer she takes to remarry. Men and women are just wired different!

Also, there were elements of his marriage that were less than ideal. He got married really young, after she got pregnant. If she hadn't gotten pregnant, who knows if he would have married her? She was also the kind of lady who would give him the silent treatment for days after he made her mad (a trait his younger daughter has adopted, sadly). For the first month or two we were together, I could almost see him flinching emotionally whenever he messed up. He's finally figured out that I will actually talk to him, rather than just shutting him out.

There's definitely a factor with his kids and the irreplaceable loss. They are struggling with the fact that the spousal bond is over at death. His youngest said to him once, "It's not fair that you get to have another wife, but I never get another mom." So, I think it's not just resentment that he can "easily" replace his wife, but jealousy that he can find somebody to fit into that role while she'll forever be left with a hole.

I do believe that the marriage bond is special and rare. I don't believe in a one true love, though. If God had one true love for each of us, then one person marrying the wrong one would mess everything up! I truly believe that God has had a hand in this from the beginning. Six years ago, when I was talking to my pastor about how unhappy that I was that I was not only single, but had never really dated anybody, he told me that it was going to take a special man to marry me (I have some issues from my past), and that God was still working on preparing that man. Two years ago, my best friend got married, and I was pretty depressed about not being married yet for a few months. She married a guy she'd been friends with for 10 years, and I said how much I would like for that to happen to me (rather than meet somebody random), but that it would be impossible because I didn't know any single guys. She also said that she was unhappy about being single for a while, then about 6 months after she had made peace with it, he asked her to marry him (he kind of skipped the dating thing). Last spring, I had made peace with being single, and had actually said it out loud to my friend. Eight months later, he was telling me that he just couldn't get me out of his head, and so before thinking about dating anybody else, he had to see what was up with me. Note that he didn't say he was madly in love with me and had been for years. Actually, he said that, when his late wife brought up her jealously about me, he was grossed out by the thought of romantic feelings toward me. Why would a guy make up something like that and tell it to the girl he's asking out, unless it was true and he was in the process of laying all the cards out on the table? It wasn't like he just said that he wanted to date me. He took me out to lunch and told me everything. I didn't leave there feeling like I wanted to date him, I left there feeling entirely overwhelmed (do you know what it's like to find out that somebody's late wife thought you were the other woman?). But then, all the pieces came together. This was a guy that I'd known for years. He's also a guy who is uniquely suited to love me in spite of my issues. So yeah... I'm 31 and this is the first guy I've ever seriously dated. I do indeed believe that this sort of bond is special and very difficult to find!

LizzieA's picture

I met my DH right at the tail end of his divorce stuff, and some people (i.e. BM and SIL) didn't like that we committed to each other so fast. Like it insulted BM, I guess. But we are really soul mates, share the same spiritual depth, and even work together. Never thought I'd be able to do that. We are like twins separated at birth we are so alike in our tastes and opinions and thoughts about stuff, even random stupid little things. Yet have differences that make our "whole" stronger.

I think you have to let go of the daughter and just go about your business. Don't expect anything. My SKs were older (14 and 18) and I expected nada from them. Didn't even try to have a relationship. Stayed in the background a good bit at first. We had quite a lot of opposition from SIL1, who had been DH's buddy in misery and then she got mega jealous when we got married. Nasty. She went to all the family to trash us. So I've been through the family alienation thing. But he and I were always so strong in our love and I've never been happier, so we blew it off. We cut off contact for a while. The key thing will be that your DF sticks up for you and the relationship. If he tries to play both sides, you'll have a hard time like many on here.

2Tired4Drama's picture

cowlypso, you have been given lots of good advice - from every spectrum. It's up to you to make a decision on how to proceed with your SO's daughters. And don't be fooled, just because the older daughter is amenable now doesn't mean she won't eventually have issues just like the younger one does. Be prepared.

I do have concerns over your statement, "this is the first guy I've seriously dated." No offense intended, but if that's true you are horribly unprepared for a relationship like this one which will be fraught with unbelievable challenges. The issue of acceptance from his daughters is not a temporary blip - this will be a challenge you will face FOREVER! No matter what you do to try and remedy it, and no matter your protestations otherwise, the daughters will probably always feel that your relationship with their father was rooted in dishonor to their mother.

Take a step back and think about this statement you made, "... easier if she'd either come around or leave, but instead she wants a relationship with her dad with no trace of me." It seems like in your mind it's an either or situation - daughter or me. Our subconscious actions and inferences can have great weight. Be honest with yourself. You say you ignore the YD but since it's in your subconscious that you hope she just "goes away" maybe your facial expressions match that feeling. You sense her attitude towards her so she is undoubtedly getting vibes from you, too.

In any case, I would recommend taking a step back, taking a good amount of time, and using the utmost in honesty when making an assessment of this situation - to include my own behavior and if it was ultimately self-serving. If it were me, I would step back a bit and allow this FAMILY enough time to heal, and then slowly try to find my place in it.

After all, real love is patient and kind. I remember reading that somewhere ...

BSgoinon's picture

Although the OP's question was NOT in regards to the dynamics of the timing of the relationship, but how to handle her soon to be SD, you can't dismiss the fact that the timing of the relationship weighs heavy on the feelings that these girls likely have towards her.

My assistant is 23 years old. She lost her father 2 years ago last month. He had cancer for 4 years before he passed away. He was a very sick man, and everyone knew he was going to die. There was no way to truly PREPARE for this though. At least not for my assistant. Her mom moved on quickly after his death. Within a year was married to someone new. I am not sure how long they knew each other or of the events that lead up to her dating so quickly after the death of her husband. What I can tell you is that my assistant and her sister feel like their mom has completely disregarded their life. Their family and their past with their dad and mom as a family. They feel like they were still greiving over the death of their father, and their MOTHER should have been there to help them through this, and instead she was out... fostering a new relationship.

They resent their stepfather. They don't like his kids, and they barely have a relationship with their mom, at all.

hereiam's picture

It is a tough situation to be sure but the daughter is being very selfish. She should want her father to be happy.
Her comment about her not being able to get another mother but him getting to have another wife is very telling. She needs to grow up and realize the two things are very different and their grief is very different.

Before people say "How cold, she lost her mother",I was a teenager when my mother died and I NEVER would have wanted my dad to go through the rest of his life alone. I knew how much he loved my mother but I did not expect him to mourn and be broken forever (nor would my mother have wanted this).

I did not see his new wife as a replacement mother for me and my sisters or even a replacement wife for my dad. She was just his new wife-no replacement anything. He had to move on.

I truly believe a parent should not let their adult children run their lives. I think he should talk to his daughter and let her know he cares about her feelings, but in the long run, it is not her decision what he does. If SHE chooses to let that come between them, that is on her.

I am also a step-mother and I have never tried to come between my husband and his kids. They have always tried to manipulate him and still do (they are adults now) but he does not let them. He gets his feelings hurt, knowing that they want money from him more than an actual relationship and this does hurt me to see him hurt, but they choose to treat him that way and I will not feel responsible for that.

I would treat her just as you would if you weren't dating her dad. Be cordial and respectful and know that you are not the cause of her unhappiness.

lucy51's picture

The marital bond is NOT broken at death! How naive you are. Completely ignorant about what it's like to lose a spouse and/or a parent.

summerstepmom's picture

While I don't think they should be rude to you, I do think you need to took at things from their POV. It seems like your expecting them to run to you with open arms and instantly become one big happy family months after their mother died. That's not going to happen, while your happily in love, their coming to terms with the fact that their mother will never to see get to see the get married or hold their children. Give them time.
Also, If I was battling cancer and my husband was off "volunteering" with a younger woman I would be jealous too.

B22S22's picture

I was 36 when my DH passed away. We had 2 children, 3 and 5 at the time. He had been terminally ill for 4 years (he was diagnosed when I was pregnant with youngest). I agree that we all grieve differently, and I for one will say I DID have 4 years to grieve and prepare. Did I hope for miracles? Sure. And when he did pass, it wasn't a shock and it wasn't unexpected. He was ready, I was ready for him. BTW, we had been married for almost 16 years at that point in time.

Honestly, I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the who's and what's of the timing of OP's relationship. As someone else said, perception is reality to most people. I know someone else who's wife passed away from a protracted illness, and he was remarried within 6 months. That was 30 years ago, and they are still married (was my best friend's father so I knew them well).

It is up to each individual person to determine what is "right" for them. Do you know how TIRED I got of hearing people tell me "too soon" when, a year and a half later I went out on a DATE? And the people who were telling me it was too soon (friends and family) had NEVER lost a spouse.

So my biggest opinion is that we have NO RIGHT to judge other people when it comes to this, unless of course you have walked in her shoes. And I've also lost a parent, and honestly, it's different than losing a spouse. At least to me.

OP: regardless of the timing of your relationship... all I can suggest is that you not force yourself on either of your SO's daughters. They will either come around or they won't. I understand they are probably extremely ambivalent about the situation because of the timing -- and they probably feel as though their father is negating his relationship with their mother (although he's NOT). How many situations have people posted about dating their now SO or DH before the divorce was final? And how do the children of that relationship behave? I would give a lot of space to the daughters at this point in time.

chigran0330's picture

Yours is the best answer of all! I can't believe all the judgment here! All situations are individual! How can a person be wrong for grieving and getting on with life the way they choose fit and when they see fit for the betterment of their children and themselves? Is it a crime (in society's view only, I guess) to fall in love and want someone to help raise your children when you feel that YOU'RE ready even when others are not ready for you to? Whose life should we live, by whose standards, and whom shall give us the okay to go ahead with our lives?

My husband was a wreck when he lost his wife of 18 years due to cancer who had been ill for two years. He HAD prepared himself as well as he could mentally for this separation by death. It was not easy. He could not and did not want to raise his children by himself nor did he want to be alone. He found true and new love with me ... and I have never been compared to his lw in any way that isn't admirable.

He married his lw six months after they met and married me six months after we met...nine months after her passing.

We need to instill in our children (esp. those who have lost a parent) that: Life is ever changing. You have to expect the unexpected. Things can't go back to being the same it was before because it can't. Don't wade and drown in sorrow and self-pity. We must embrace change. When I make a decision, respect it so that you won't make yourself miserable.

There is no book you can read on life...You have to live it. Karma and judgment are intertwined.

WWOTW's picture

Hi
Eight years ago I met a widower with two children (7 & 11). I met him while his dying wife was still alive. I told him he should be at home looking after her not out and about drinking and chatting up women. I didn't see him again until after she had died which was only 3 months later, although, he did persue me for a while I just ignored his advances as it was not right for me to become involved at that time. As you have all pointed out people grieve in different ways, his grieving had started when she was still living. She had cancer so it wasn't sudden.
The skids now 19 and 15 still don't acknowledge me in the way I feel they should. The daughter is much worse than the son, however I constantly feel uncomfortable around them due to this non communication. We have all lived together for the last 7 years, which had been hard but I'm still here....just!!

I have two bio sons, one of whom still lives with us at home. I have been there for these two kids when they're father couldn't be, physically and emotionally. He had no idea of how to set boundaries etc, cook, wash and the list is endless.

The young skids are now growing up, the daughter is 20 this year but she is emotionally not that age and talks to get father in a stupid bang voice and then switches to her normal voice anyone else is around.
I am the wicked stepmother.... In their eyes. Things haven't changed I am insignificant in their eyes. I have now disengaged from daughter, who is still at home when not at university. The son looks at me like a piece
Of shit most of the time. Anyway, I do blame their father for their indifference towards me.
Too much water under the bridge now for me where his kids are concerned. Yes it's hard and uncomfortable but
"**You might bark with the big dogs on the porch, but I'm the Bitch that runs the house**"

My sentiments exactly

Good luck, you're in for a long and hard winding road with your situation.

Be strong, cos you're gonna need to be

X

momof5_1969's picture

I'm going to comment on just the relationship with his girls. The way they are behaving now, is the way they will behaving in five years, in 10 years, in 20 years. Unless they have a major overhaul, it is never going to change. I wish someone would have told me this before I married my DH. And he wasn't even grieving a wife. He had been divorced for several years, I wasn't even the reason for the divorce (his ex-wife left him for another man and I came into the picture severeal YEARS later), and yet his oldest daughter blames ME for the divorce. Their grandmother -- their mom's mom -- told them that I must have had an affair with their Dad and that was the real reason why they divorced! HUH!!?? We didn't even live in the same STATE! Seriously! But yet, it's my fault.

So yes, I don't even speak to the oldest one anymore, and haven't in over a year -- she is not even allowed in our home. The youngest daughter, age 17, is a little bitch to me the majority of the time, and my SS19 is an asshole to me the majority of the time.

If I could do it over again -- I WOULD TOTALLY DO IT OVER AGAIN. Some people say that love can get you through anything. NO IT CAN'T! My husband takes their side most of the time -- EVEN WHEN THEY ARE LYING THEIR ASSES OFF.

If I was you, don't do it. If she is already excluding you from dance recitals, be ready to be excluded from birthdays, babyshowers, going to the hospital when she has a baby, etc., because it's coming, unless your husband has the balls to stand up to them, which by the sounds of it, he does not if he is saying "it's your day".

I would let this fish go, and drop your line back in and start fishing again. There are plenty of fish in the sea, and ones without little whiny brats tagging along.

Do I sounds bitter -- yep, I am. I want out.

novemberm's picture

*******If I was you, don't do it. If she is already excluding you from dance recitals, be ready to be excluded from birthdays, babyshowers, going to the hospital when she has a baby, etc., because it's coming, unless your husband has the balls to stand up to them, which by the sounds of it, he does not if he is saying "it's your day".*********

I completely agree with the above. AND the part about the girls not liking the OP for a long time, maybe forever.

To the OP, do not expect these girls to change. I agree with the other posters who said it is too soon. The timing is a factor here, I am sure. Even it it was not, you could still be dealing with 2 women who will never like you. Prepare yourself for that.

I am getting married very soon. My FDH has 3 young adult kids who hate me. They hated me before they met me. FDH and his ex have been divorced for years, had a horrible relationship, and these "kids" still want their parents back together. Also, they see me as taking their dad's money, which is all they care about. He does not even have much, we live a simple life, but they do not care. They have continued to get worse, much like many of the stepkids on here. I will never be able to have a relationship with them. I am more than fine with that, because they are awful. However, the key here is my FDH stepped up and set boundaries when they tried breaking us up/causing problems. If he had not, we would not be getting married. I would be gone.

Your choices are yours to make, but please do not go into this with expectations that your SO's girls will come around. They may never, and you will have to accept that. Right now, he SHOULD be easy on them, bc they just lost their mom. But, as time goes on, he has to ensure they realize you and he are a couple, and they must respect that. If he does not insist upon that respect, and does not stand up to them, you will be in for a very hard life. Read some of the stories on here-they are awful.

harvey's picture

I would run a mile in the opposite direction, you will be looking at years of misery for both you and your husband to be, find a happier path in life, these girls will not only end up hating their Father but will detest you. If you truly believe he is the love of your life I would road test the relationship for a few more years before saying I do. Your husband to be needs to think about his Daughters as this will become a miserable mess.I am sorry to say but I feel he will have to chose between them and you at some point in time, do you want to break up a family? I would give his Daughters space they are too hurt to deal with a stepmother at the moment If I was in your shoes I would not rub it in their face and be with him when they are around.Do you have a thick enough skin to have decades of being hated and being made a target for everyones grief, anger and resentment. I really feel for you sounds like you met a man at the wrong place and the wrong time.Good luck.

ctnmom's picture

WWOTW_ "Grieving while she was still living"?? No, he was on the prowl while she was still living! Center to all these posts is the outdated notion of loyalty. Cowlypso, I wouldn't WANT a man who moved on 2 months after his wife died, and it doesn't matter (to me, anyway) how long she was sick. Not a judgement, mind you. You say you haven't dated much- it shows. I recommend getting out there and dating some more- preferably men closer to your own age. I've been married since I was 19 to the same man but I dated a lot and was on my own a while, I had a clear picture of what I wanted in a husband. I think his daughter is the least of your worries!

Anon2009's picture

This is a complicated situation.

I can see why the SDs would feel the way they do. Hopefully, I would handle said feelings differently, but it's got to be tough to see your Dad dating again two months after Mom's death.

Your feelings are understandable. You didn't cause the death of the mother, and nobody deserves to be treated like dirt.

Bear in mind that there is no time limit for grief. Everyone grieves differently. Hopefully, your SDs will remember this too.

My suggestion is don't go overboard to try to win them over. That will make you come across as pushy. They need their space. But that doesn't mean you have to be a doormat. If you are being treated rudely, then by all means politely but forcefully stick up for yourself and leave the situation if necessary.

Tranquility's picture

Be patient. Be there for him, listen. You will be married soon. The daughters do not concern you, really, they are adults. I have many friends that were in this situation and are now married. Time and patience Smile

old-blue-eyes's picture

This is just my opinion. This man you are so interested in getting married to so quickly NEEDS to go through a grieving stage unless he really never was deeply in love with his first wife to begin with. You may have been the next love of his life because he couldn't face the emptiness that he knew he was going to face when his wife took ill and passed away, so he latched onto to you. This reminds me of the John Edwards case that sob had no regards for his sick dying wife. God rest her soul.
Your case sounds like selfishness for an unrealistic life together on both ends of the spectrum. This is total dependency between the two of you. His prior wife is probably turning over in her grave. I feel for his kids...

ItAlmostWorked's picture

Cowlypso,

You may not be able to undo damage already done. I agree your BF has the right to live his life as he sees fit and also that everyone grieves differently. Having said that, it is pretty much a given that children will grieve their parents for more than 2 months. You may have made the rest of your life much easier if you dated in a much more subtle way, keeping his family out of it. For example, by going to Easter when their Mom had just barely been buried, I don't think you've done yourself any favors.

I agree with another poster here that things will probably not get any better with the SD with whom you have conflicts. I am honestly surprised you haven't had huge conflicts with them both. From what you've shared you may be in for lots of conflict in this situation. You have to know even those who are polite to your face must be talking. Of course they'll go on to the next scandal in no time. Being the next love interest of one who has just lost his wife is never easy, but it seems you have made things much worse for yourself by proceeding so quickly in such an assertive way.

I wish you all the best.

jojara's picture

When I met and fell in love with my DH (at that time- a widower of 3 years), I wish I would have known how absolutely awful it would be to deal with the adult stepchildren plus the stepchildren dealing with moms death issues. I don't know if anyone can truly understand until they are knee high in crap and cant get out. Bluntly- its awful....and 5 years later it is still awful.

Get ready for a long bumpy ride.

There are a lot of widower issues that are much more subtle than 'listen to me cry over my dead wife'. Such as....the issue with him going to the even and you not invited. Prime example. See... even if DH isnt mourning the wife....he will FOREVER be mourning the fact that his kids have lost their mom. HUGELY different issue, and no it doesn't go away.

My suggestion, very honestly, is to put the brakes on. Go through all of the holidays for AT LEAST A FULL YEAR before you make any lifelong vows. The holidays, anniversaries etc will give you a really good picture of the rest of your life. No it doesnt get better...its up to you to determine if its something that YOU can live with forever.

Good luck!