You are here

Have any of you discussed Ex issues with Adult StepChildren?

spitfire99's picture

I just found out my SD (38 yo, married with twins) is coming to visit her grandmother (my m-n-l) at the end of April. To date (see my previous post), she has been the prime culprit in involving her mother (the EX) in family activites & bringing her to my home un-invited. To compound this, I continually get the feeling that I am a "potted plant" when in her presence i.e. I'm invisible to her & barely tolerated. She has never been rude or said anything bad to me, just doesn't involve me or respect my role as her father's wife. I tolerated this when she was a teenager as I realized she was jealous & young..it was hard for her to see her Dad with someone other than her Mom. But we been married 18 years, having dated for 6 before that. So, my question is, has anyone had sucess in discussing EX issues with Adult SC? Any suggestions? Should I just leave well enough alone?

holeekrap789's picture

I would suggest leaving issues about the ex out of the relationship with your SD.
If after 24yrs the two of you aren't close and she doesn't show you the respect you want then I doubt it will ever happen.
If you try to bring up issues about her mom with her it will probably backfire and she will get defensive and wonder why you are 'attacking' some one she is apparently very close to.
If you really want to have a relationship with her...common interest and work with that....one of the best ones is to talk about the kids and the strong parental love that a mom has, she can understand that since she is a mom now.
Good luck it's hard to correct or change such a long relationship....me and my stepmom are still not on real good terms after almost 30yrs.

Lisa Dawn

Anne 8102's picture

Lisa is right. If you haven't developed any kind of bond with this girl after all these years, then it may simply never happen. She may never warm up to you, especially if she doesn't want to.

To answer your question, we have discussed ex issues with the skids and they are a lot younger - 11, 14 and 15 - but we did it in a very limited way. During bad periods with their mother, we would tell them to remember that each person has their own perspective, that their mother may see things one way while we see them another, that they should form their own opinions based on what they know and experience for themselves and that parents are human and both of their parents have made mistakes. We never go into details, but we have been pushed to the point where we felt that damage control was necessary, so we would find non-inflammatory words to express that they shouldn't necessarily believe all the bad things their mother says about their father in the heat of the moment.

I think if you have something specific you need or want to say to her, then by all means say it. She's an adult... you don't need to censor yourself with her and it may help just to get it off your chest. But don't get your hopes up that things will change. If she's not shown an interest in developing more of a relationship with you by now, she may never develop that interest.

~ Anne ~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice! -M*A*S*H (Sidney Freedman to the OR staff on dealing with stress)

spitfire99's picture

Frankly at this point, I'm not looking to have a relationship with her. I just wanted to explain why I am not going to continue to visit her or her brother is FL. When we (dh & I) go, her mother is constantly present at all functions, if we go to eat, EX comes with us. If we go shopping, EX comes with us...now the SD & SS are 38 & 42!!! It's not like we need "supervised" visits. The EX thinks she's part of the family...which I just can't get my head around. And it is the SD & SS that invites her on OUR dime & time. But the SD is the worst of the 2 as she has 4 y.o. twins which the EX helps with. But when the EX accompanies us or comes to SD's house while we are there, we (dh & I) get literally get pushed out of the way & can't even enjoy the grandchildren. So, my plan was to speak to her about our desire to develop a relationship with the g.kids without the constant watchful eye of her mother. I think that it is something we do have a right to have, if not, I'm not going and really don't give a rat's a** if I ever go. I'm just trying to support DH. It's not fair that we can not even spend 6 hours with his children or grandchildren that the EX isn't present suggesting how we do things or where to eat & she isn't even picking up the tab!!!! The EX needs to get a life and get the h*** out of ours. I don't care if she lives with the SD & SS, but when we are there she need to exit stage left!

vistajpdf's picture

I see nothing wrong with advising your SD that you and your husband would enjoy the opportunity to bond with the grandkids independent of the EX.

Frankly, I think that inviting the EX to any of your planned events, visits or dinners is WAY over the line. I guess your husband should have attempted to curb that long ago. When "we" say anything, we're just the wicked stepmoms...I think you've put up w/ it long enough.

I would reiterate the desire to some alone time w/ the kids and politely throw them a bone w/..."it's so obvious the love your mom and your beautiful twins have for each another...I'm afraid they just don't notice your father and I when we're all together. We'd love to have the chance to just have a few hours with them alone sometime and hope you understand." Id your husband opposed to this at all? Does he see this as rocking the boat? Be sure he's on board.

Good luck,
Dana

spitfire99's picture

I appreciate your insight & comments. Especially the script you so kindly prepared for me. I'm really good at scripting a conversation for someone else but I get all tongue tied when it's me!!! I thought SD was coming is a few weeks, but M-I-L got sick & doesn't want company for a while. So it will happen soon enough. I guess I'm getting "ballsy" in my old age (47)..like I said, I really don't give a rat's a** what happens. When DH & I were discussing things tonight, I was telling him that I planned on talking to her and ultimately to his other son. His only response was, well you'll never have a relationship with them!!! Well guess what? I don't now!!! So what do I have to lose? BTW, there is more to this story which is why, after all these years, it has come to a boiling point with me. We went to FL for #2 SS's 40th B-Day. It was a surprise & all the siblings came to town. The EX planned the whole thing. So I obviously, as DH's wife, I didn't need an engraved invitation, she knew up front I was coming as I asked her what I needed to bring and offered $$ to help with party. So no surprises there. But what I did while we were all together was have a surprise retirement party for my DH (this is his 2nd retirement..the EX had no parts of this career). I asked SD to pick up ballons & I planned all the rest (long distance) and made reservations. I DID NOT at anytime, say anything to the EX nor did I extend an invitation to the EX via the SD. So, I get to Fl & on Saturday, the morning of the lunchtime surprise party for DH, the EX approaches me & says "I've picked up the ballons, but thought we should have some black ones & I've changed the party favors to match! I will take them to the restaurant & set up." I was STUNNED!!! (I had picked out green & white ballons to go with a golf theme which is what DH does all the time, not black, it wasn't a funeral!) So all the pics of his retirement party has the big fat EX in them. Again, nothing was said to her & I certainly DID NOT ASK her to do anything. The SD pawned off the responsibility to pick up the ballons onto her mother which then opened the door for her to attend the party!! So, that is WHY I really want to speak with SD, along with the fact that we want to see kids by ourselves. So there is more fuel to the fire....but I like your comments & will take that approach in speaking with SD when it happens, stay tuned.....Oh, BTW, I did tell DH tonight about the EX, the SD & the ballons & party...he was upset & agrees that something should be said, but feels it needs to come from me since he was out of the loop on this one....

spitfire99's picture

I'm so grateful for all your support & counsel..but I am extremely sorry that is has all come as a result of your emotional expense. It just sucks to be the 2nd wife. We are damn if we do & damned if we don't. After having to pop Xanax to get through a trip to FL with the SK & the EX, I finally came to my senses a few years ago & decided not to go with DH to FL. He is just as happy, as too many people at one time which he feels "responsible for" makes him crazy. And my abscence takes the heat off of him. So, when I finally got the nerve up to go back in Oct for the B-Day party, it was with a smile on my face & I really made the effort to get along. I even babysat the entire time of the B-Day party for #2 SS while they enjoyed themselves. When I finally got to the party, they had put all the food away. Trust me, DH heard about that. But see, the good Lord has blessed me. I have such a mouth on me most of the time, but I have been so perpetually STUNNED by this family's antics that I am frequently left speechless. It has probably been my only saving grace over these past 24 years (yes, 24 lovely years of hell!). The surprise retirement party incident was the most blantant event of all & probably the only one that is obvious to all involved. I plan to think long & hard before I speak with SD, do lots of praying...I feel strongly that your counsel has caused me to look at this from a different perspective. But I also feel strongly that I can not let things continue to go on. In the past, I have just let things slide, but for some reason, even though I try to forget it and move on, my gut keeps telling me to pursue this situation??? My DH is getting older, had a recent medical scare & I will have to face these kids, better yet, they will have to face me some day when their Dad is sick or dying. DH is 20 years older than me. After his recent scare (too long to post), he told all of his children that I was his spokesman & would make all decisions for him as it relates to his health, etc. (I'm RN, none of them have any medical knowledge/experience). All has been drawn up legally. But those words alone sent ripples through the family. So, I do want to support DH with his family, I will take the high road & put a smile on my face. But someday, they are going to have to come to me or go through me to see their Dad...I just hope they remember how they treated me because I sure as hell am not going to forget it. Trust me, I'm super mad right now & I'm talking trash. My personal spiritual beliefs will bring me to my senses & I will ultimately go down the road of forgiveness & try to be Christ like with them. But right now, it hurts like hell, DH doesn't understand, per usual! And the only support is my gals at this site. Thanx for being there!!

HUGS to all~
sherry

lovin-life's picture

I don't trust my 32 year old SD. I would NEVER in a million years discuss step-issues with her. She clearly is her mothers daughter. That will never, ever, ever, ever change no matter how old she gets!

I just got an e-mail from her concerning youngest SD's shower..she want's to know what date I picked, and what I have planned.

For those that don't know or cna't remember...she caused a huge stink over the holidays because..she wanted 1 shower combining her mother & I etc..and she wanted to run the show...and everyone else, included the bride wanted 2. Anyway...oldest dropped her plan...and is helping her aunt/mother do one for that side and me & my daughter & aunts etc are doing one for Dad's side..

Her mother is very superficial... has to have the nicest car, has to have the nicest clothes, has to have the nicest house, has to present an air in all that she does.......and no doubt...MUST PUT ON THE BEST SHOWER!!!!

I don't want to tell BM's mini-me any of my ideas!!!! She'll run back to her mother in a heartbeat. That psychotic old cow will just have to come up with her own ideas!!!!!

My hubby doesn't want her staying with us when she visits...although he loves to see the grandkids...and her as well. He or I would never say anything to her...it's not worth the irriversable rift it would cause. Even if she decides to stay here...I'm usually very busy with errands..and don't see much of her. We'll suck it up for a day or two or as long as we have too.

For now we make nice-nice....but there is much distance between us. That's just the nature of the beast....her choice....I've just learned to accept it last year...I no longer take it personally. My feelings don't get hurt, I don't get angry, I don't get upset, it is what it is. Like the Serenity Prayer says..."accept the things you cannot change"

Some things have been discussed with the youngest...we try not to bash. But she see's her mothers true colors now..so not much needs to be said. It's her that says to us. "I want 'lovin-life' at my stagette party...Mom won't want to go...but if mom finds out she's going..Mom will go to cause trouble.." So things are discussed matter of factly between us and this SD....they oldest will defend her mother to the end....she doesnt want to see her mothers less desireable qualities...or will make excuses for her bad behavior.

SO bottom line...whether to discuss things with them or not really depends on the child and your relationship with them and your own particular situation...

Take Care
Lovin-life Smile

vistajpdf's picture

What is the EX gaining by constantly putting herself at functions in which she is clearly the fish out of water? I can understand having to deal w/ her at graduations, weddings, or functions for the grandkids, but at a retirement for her ex thrown by his current wife of, what 18 years? Ridiculous. I don't know what the SD's angle is, but it's just amazing that she's always bringing her mother into your plans. Can your husband inquire as to what's at the root of all this? I think you've been far more patient than I'd have been. If the ex is carrying a torch for your husband, then she's a glutton for punishment. Do you think she's trying to look good in her children's eyes? Do you think she wants to make you look badly to her friends, ie: "Poor _____ is stuck w/ that woman who can't even get balloons for his party. Can you believe I had to go out and buy them?" Or is she just mentally deficient?

I think I'd have said, "Oh, well, thank you for the balloons, but we are having a celebration, not a wake!" What if you thanked her and dismissed her w/ "See you in a few days!" I'd love to see the look on her face.

My mom's side of the family had a 50th anniversary/reunion for one of her aunts a few years ago. It was in the town adjacent to where my dad's mother lives. Dad's mom has always been difficult at best - and very critical of my mother's side of the family, complete w/ old world prejudices, etc. (mom's side is Italian, dad's is Irish and I guess at the turn of the century, lol, there was bad blood between the two nationalities.) Anyway, Dad's mom always loved a party and was completely miffed as to why she wasn't invited to the reunion. She threw a fit! I backed up my mother when she said to my father, "Bob, we can visit your mother while we're up here (Ohio), but after the way she has treated my family for 40+ years, I'm not subjecting anyone on my side to an evening w/ her. Besides, my cousins are footing the bill and they don't even know her!" G-ma wasn't invited. Share this story w/ your SD and see if she gets it...but I doubt she will. The offenders rarely see themselves.

Dana

spitfire99's picture

As to WHY she continues to show up & SD includes her...again, that is the ?? of the century. I think the EX has the younger kids hoodwinked i.e. woe is me, "poor" me, I have nothing & your Dad has everything, look at my impoverished life compared to "THEIRS", blah, blah, blah.... See my other posts about her marital antics(the difference between ex husbands & ex wives..it explains a lot about her). Any way, the bottom line is she doesn't have a LIFE and she doesn't have a "pot to piss in" (one of my mother's favorite phases, God Rest Her Soul!), she has let herself go....really packed on the pounds & appears to be hitting the bottle too much (red face/nose). (SK accidently posted a pic on their blog where she is drunk!!) So, the SK feel "sorry" for her & drag her along, because she has nothing else to do. Sometimes DH has even said "I feel sorry for her", I just about b**** slapped him!! I swear, how in the hell did we get ourselves in these messes? If it isn't the EX, it's the DH/BF (and I mean damn husband, not dear husband). A few weeks ago, DH said, I would really like to live in FL so I can be close to my kids (which means we would be close to the EX). We currently live in VA (a very beautiful area) and I'm a Yankee. FL is ok for a few months but the damn state isn't big enough for the EX & myself. So, I was so mad at him, I said, ok, I'll keep the condo in VA, you go live with your EX & it will be one big happy family. The only thing is I will SEND YOU a monthly allotment...you & the EX can live on that. He got all flustered & said "oh, I wouldn't go there without you", well, hell, he's been going for the last few years without me, b/c I don't want to be around her! Right now, I'm so mad at him (for other reasons, go figure!), she could have him. You know, someone recently posted (I'm sorry I can't remember who) that we hate the EX's because "they" have a romantic history with our men & we don't like that. Right now, I hate his EX because she let him go & now I'm stuck with him...I think we really hate the EX's because they were smart enough to kick the DH's butts to the curb!! We're just mad at ourselves b/c their our problem now. Obviously, it's been a bad night @ our house, I think DH has PMS or the male equilvalent. It's just one of those nights when I'm saying, why the hell did I ever get married again!!!

AVR1962's picture

SpitFire99.....we recently mentioned some things to SS about BM who has created so much trouble that we no longer want to be at joint functions together. SS did not remark to what was said about BM because I think he already knows how she is but accepts her the way she is. They can't see how her actions cause us problems because it is their mom, the person that deserted them but they want so bad to be a part of their lives no matter what. We come different sides of this situation. Our relationship with BM is not the same relationship as the child's, and while we can see all the bad things that BM has done, if they can,they can accept it. We want to protect but the biys probably feel that they needed protected from me instead of BM. It really gets twisted up. But to answer your question, no we have not had any success.

Also, just another example.....my daughters' father cheated, wouldn't work, lied about everything. My daughters saw exactly what he was doing, they saw how their BD had hurt SM with the last affair that ended their marriage....same stuff that happened with me. My daughters had a blow-out with their father, he manipulated the situation and then apologized for hurting them, let them know this was nothing to do with the girls and my ex was right back in my daughters' good graces. I will not tolerate the man, will not talk about him with my daughters and will not be in the same room which might make me look like the big baddy and that's okay.

I think the only way for our children to understand fully is to be put in the same situation and then they have to willingly open their eyes and find some compassion for what we went thru to understand. Whetehr that will ever happen is to be seen.

Marti's picture

Hell would freeze over! Forced into a situation, I could get by, but to invite BM? Not for all the money in Fort Knox. She has embarrassed and spread lies too many times to too many people for me to ever include her in anything. Sorry, but if SD feels this way, let her stay away. Sounds like she needs to be taken down a notch

AVR1962's picture

Can I ever relate StepAside, been thru it all myself and I too ahve been with husband 21 years and delt with BM who was always a holy terror and finally drew a line, no more will do, done. Kids are grown and they can either understand or not but we have had it with joint functions. Why in the world do the kids think there was divorce in the first place? My husband was married to his first wife 4 years and he has paid for it all these years. there has been so much disrespect from the boys at this point that if they can't understand we move on, plain and simple. It does get to me though that we did so much and have been absolutely trampled on by such selfish self-centered adult children who think they bhave all the answers and don't have to pay us any respect, the very parents that raised them. Good luck to them in raising their own!

mom2five's picture

I wouldn't do it. I guess I would just do my best to be cordial and polite when she visits.

My reason for that is purely selfish. I haven't the time nor the energy to get pulled into family drama.

skylarksms's picture

My DH had the mistaken notion that he would only have to put up with BM until the kids turn 18. I said, what about weddings and births of your grand-kids?

I saw first hand when SD had her baby (2 months premature via emergency c-section) how BM is going to be now and into the future.

She saw us and lumbered over immediately, ignoring me and talking to DH, "Did you want to see the baby? Come with me." Luckily DH wants absolutely NOTHING to do with her and wouldn't take her order. He said, "I just got off of work and am too dirty to go into neonatal ICU to be around the little guy." We were shown to a window and BM went in to the NICU. She would look at the baby, poke the baby, then look over at DH - obviously TRYING to have a
"Grandparent" bonding moment with him and totally leave me out of the picture. It was disgusting. :sick:

The worst part is, my DH STILL thinks that he won't have to deal with her after his kids are 18. SD is 17 now and still living with BM (with her baby). We have seen the baby a total of ONCE since he got out of the hospital. He was born on March 31. Sad

WHY oh why can't these men LEARN??

Marti's picture

Can so identify with you. It never stops. Never. DH daughter expecting this month, but I have no plans of going to hospital with him. My thinking is that he has allowed much of the garbage I have been forced to deal with. I am withdrawing from everything where his children are involved. I couldn't go to wedding, showers or rehearsal dinner and won't be able to go to his son's either. My husband lost his mom and dad within a year and the ex totally madee a scene at their funerals. Even though they are adults and witnessed her violence (ie trying to stab their dad), they see no wrong in her. Everything I say or do is wrong. There are 2 sons and one daughter involved her. The daughter is youngest and she is 27. Note the 27----and it still hasn't ended!

AVR1962's picture

Marti.....isn't this incredible? I have been thru the very things you have described here and I finally reached my end after 21 years of this garbage. I have dealt with more tahn I think could be expected of anyone and yet as patient and understanding as I ahve been, I am the one blamed and lied about about. Bio mom and my husband (before his sons left home) are the true keys to what has happened with all of the direspect. I tried to talk to husband but he wouldn't listen so now we have this mess, no surprise to me really. I guess husband thought I would be an endless pillow to punch. They are grown now, and if BM and BD can't muster the guts to take a stand to direspect too bad, but I can. I recently blocked my SS and his wife for hateful emails to me and my husband. I only blocked my acct. I figure if they REALLY want to apologize they know where we live and they have my tele # but no more hateful emails will be read on my part. It's time to put on the big girl panties kids!