You are here

Gkid has lice and DH thinks it is no big deal.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Gskid is 9 (oldest of gkids) and has had lice for over a week and SD is working on getting rid of it. DH invited her and gskids to visit up at our 2nd home in the guest cottage for the easter weekend. I was furious and said, fine but Gskid is NOT ALLOWED in our place at all - all weekend. I DO NOT WANT to catch lice and we have a teen BS who would be very upset if he caught it too.

I just don't understand the mentality of DH - I am beginning to really think that he DOES NOT care about me and our BS at all. I know lice is not the end of the world, but sheesh, he knows this would send me over the top - just stressing about it.

He would put us all in harm's way just so he can spend more time with his princess DD. I cannot believe it!

I didn't actually say fine - that was at the end of a big discussion and my heart was pounding with anxiety the whole time. Sad

oldone's picture

OMG - I probably wouldn't let my own mother in the house with lice. It's not the end of the world. It's treatable but so are most STDs. Still don't want either.

godess-clueless's picture

Yikes, I remember what a problem lice could be when my DH's grandchildren brought it to our home. Here I was in my 50's and dealing with lice for the first time.

The most embarrassing part was that we had just had SGC placed in our home by children's service and no one including the mother bothered to tell us about the ongoing problem. At the time I was taking the child every day to my own mother's home where I would be met with all my siblings and their own children to care for my dying mother. Every one was scratching their heads, and the day of the funeral I discovered the child's hair was full of lice in every stage.

I took responsibility for buying lice treatment for at least 20 people that had been in close, continual contact. Talking BIG BUCKS here. Of course her immediate family on that side claimed no knowledge. Paperwork that we received from the county said different. It was an ongoing problem. Their family was treating it with mayo.

Her cousins that came over to visit had lice in every stage. Claimed it was an ongoing battle being handled of course with---mayo.

That entire year she was pulled out of school 5 times due to lice picked up on her weekend visits home and contact with her other mayo treated family members.

Repeated requests that she not be exposed to others who had it was met with indignation.
Pointing out that I had deloused several of her cousins was met with indignation.
Confronting the lies that , yes I knew she had been in contact with the others on her visits was met with indignation.

The final straw was when I found lice on my own newborn gc and several of my own toddler gc. I refused to allow anyone in my home until a head check was done. Talk about indignant!!!!

And the whole time my DH never understood why I made such a BIG DEAL about it.

OMG, that sounds horrible. I just cannot imagine dealing with it for the first time either at this stage in my life. I just don't see why he wouldn't just tell SD sorry, we don't want to risk catching lice.

He just can't say NO to his precious darling D. Barf. :jawdrop:

SD had rights to see her child and kept insisting it was taken care of from her end. A case of total denial and lots of mayo.

bi's picture

bd18 had lice for a long damn time. every time i got it cleared up, she got it again. someone at school was not being treated. she knew who was spreading it. i got fed up and cut her hair and got prescription cream from the dr for it. i also let the school know every single time she caught it AGAIN. the cream was wonderful. way better than OTC stuff. before that i had tried mayo and olive oil, as well as the OTC meds. the cream had it cleared up and gone in no time. she hasn't had it since, and this was a few years ago. i don't know what ever was done with the girl who had it originally.

As the saying goes---Time heals. Eventually the gc went home. In fact they all managed to get tired of scratching and did something about the lice, Happy to say this gc will be graduating next year and her mayo treated cousins are graduating this spring. And doing it lice free!!!