You are here

First year disengaged for the holidays

Sambolina1's picture

So I officially have been disengaged from OSD and her husband (who has reached out via draw something app. Don't know what that's about but I digress. Poor guy!)...YSD recently turned 18. I've been more or less disengaged from her for 2.5 years. We send her a small Christmas gift each year though, she at least plays the game and sends a little thank you note. Anyway, typically, in years past, thanksgiving was our thing, because I cook and do it up big. This year has been such a relief. Not having to cajole anyone to come out, no stresses at all. I realize now how much energy I really spent trying to make them happy (which is an impossible task and not my job anyway!)...it just feels good. And with Christmas, I'm not stressed either. Haven't decided exactly how we will handle it, but I do know it going to be scaled way back. And when we get zero reply from OSD (who never acknowledged the hand quilted baby blanket I sent for her baby shower, and in fact didn't even open it at the baby shower at all! That led to my feelings being super hurt.) it won't bother me because I have put zero personal effort into said gift. I have a small "gift drawer" where I keep last minute gifts I buy throughout the year...basically little hostess gifts. Thinking YSD will get something from that little drawer. And I do think husband is planning on giving his grandchildren gifts (things I got on clearance after Christmas this year) but I won't be putting any of it the mail, or expending any energy whatsoever worried about their thoughts on their gifts...which was a huge problem for me in the past, that the gifts weren't nice enough, weren't acknowledged, etc etc. Because they aren't getting anything particularly special, I could care less if they don't acknowledge. I plan on using all this newfound positive energy making Christmas extra special for my very own kids. Smile to you stepmom's still in the trenches, dealing with the ungrateful ness and bratiness, please know it's not you. It's them. The holidays just exacerbate already stressful bonds. I hope you take some time to yourself and with your loved ones to feel that special Christmas spirit. Smile

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Words to live by! Thank you for sharing your story, Sambolina, your relief is palpable.
I was in a somewhat similar disengaged state last Xmas, and i can appreciate the newly found
lightness of being. Spend your energy on your loved ones. I'll raise a glass of eggnog to that!
Happy Holidays!

Ozlady's picture

You have said exactly what I needed to hear! I have been feeling guilty about not engaging with present buying for GSkids whilst I am buying for nieces and nephews of similar ages but with your wise words on board I feel lighter and a bit more like Christmas.

Happy Holidays

SoDisappointed's picture

You are so right that the holidays exacerbate am already bad situation with skids that are only focused on themselves. And it’s sad that they put ultimatums on our spouses, who blindly get right in line because they “don’t want to loose their children”, but somehow don’t realize they put their marriage in jeopardy. 

I’m glad disengagement works for you. I don’t know your full story, but maybe your spouse doesn’t disappear for the holidays like mine does. It’s all about what you can put up with I guess. For me, being alone for the holidays while my soon to be exWife leaves me to be with her “family” is not something I can ever be OK with. 

I am happy you have found some peace that doesn’t include your skids or divorce. 

Lisa mckay's picture

Xmas is shallow and cold and I font like the pretense haven't for years with SD and her husband. I like to give something nice to her kids. So this year the three of us and that includes our 23 year old son are going on a cruise can't wait. I'll be thinking about escaping next year too. 

Bethany's picture

I no longer even buy the gifts. No more. Treat me as if I am invisible....then, I no longer put my heart out. I'm done. For good. Husband knows. His mid-thirties SD told him she wants an "exclusive" relationship with her father. She has poisoned my grandson to hate me. Thus, I have stopped trying. Don't waste your heart or energy on people who try to destroy your marriage. Just delete them from your life. My husband can visit his kids anytime he prefers. I no longer will accompay him. After YEARS of abuse, they deserve NO thought.