You are here

Fighting back!!

SLands's picture

I finally snapped and I'm never looking back! I've told both those little brats off and they're getting their a$$es in line!

DH's adult step kids (F33, F26) have been off and on problems for a decade. The latest have been that they completely abandoned their elderly grandparents and wouldn't even call grandfather on his deathbed for the holidays. They don't help us care for them at all but continue to ask us for stuff. And they both caused chaos with our recent wedding. (We've been together for 10 years but just got married.)

The youngest scheduled her wedding 2 weeks before ours and then we got stuck doing a huge rehearsal dinner while I should have been preparing for OUR wedding. She did come to ours and behaved.

The older one told a bunch of bald faced lies and caused a year-long family fight. She was having a rough time so we took her for a weekend in Vegas with us for pool and spa days. She came back and told her sister and the rest of the family that DH was incredibly drunk and out of control causing all kinds of trouble in Vegas. None of it was true AT ALL! And in fact she was the one who got incredibly drunk and behaving horribly. We had to stay awake all night to make sure she didn't sneak out of her hotel room and get herself in a dangerous situation. This led to the younger one not speaking to DH for six months and abandoning her dying grandfather because she was mad. (none of this is logical by the way. They can make up more reasons to create drama and get mad than any two people I have ever seen! Emotional blackmail and no contact is their favorite revenge tactic!)

During all this, SD33 hadnt spoken to DH in almost a year, including holidays or when his father (her grandfather) died. SD26 started speaking to us when grandpa died and realized her sister lied and caused all the problems.  SD33 then declined the RSVP to our wedding and included a melodramatic letter in the rsvp saying how obviously the relationship didn't mean much to either of them since it had been a year since they'd talked, blah blah. just trying to get a reaction. We continued to get word from family members that SD 33 was planning on crashing our wedding even though she declined. This went on until the morning of the wedding when the DH finally called her and allowed her attend the ceremony but not the reception. (I didn't want her there, but couldn't keep fighting them on my wedding day!)

On a related note, both of them are super "religious" and carry on about "praying" for everybody. (Of course both of them abandoned their elderly grandparents when it was too difficult so they're really only religious when it's easy!)

So here's how I finally put them in their place! DH decided to continue a relationship with SD 33 despite her bad behavior. I told him I did not want her at my house or around me after what she did with our wedding but he invited her over anyway. She brought her fairly new boyfriend with her and I don't think she was expecting what she got. When they walked in, I greeted them and then told her the following, pointing to our security cameras. "Now, SD33, we have security cameras in the house, and everything today will be recorded. So you will not be able to make up lies about what happens here and try to stir up problems like you did after Vegas. I don't know what new way you will dream up to cause trouble but at least this way we can prove it when you lie about today." I said it in front of her boyfriend and her sister and DH. She was flabbergasted. And she looked like a complete idiot in front of her new boyfriend! She couldn't object, because she was caught red handed-she had told her sister the stories and DH and I both knew what actually happened and had her outnumbered. She was finally caught and called out on her lies! You should have seen the look on boyfriends face! I then went on to tell her that this was just the tip of the iceberg of what she'll be getting from me since she tried to cause trouble for our wedding. It was hilarious and DH couldn't get mad because he knew she was a liar and all I did was point out cameras so that she knew she couldn't lie again!

As for SD26, she was going on and on about something churchy, so I very sincerely asked her how she reconciled her religion with her choice to neglect her grandparents when they were old and sick. (DH adopted both girls-they're his ex's from previous relationships. His parents accepted  these girls as if they were their own, but they completely abandoned them when it got difficult. ) She couldn't answer the question. She just sat there with her mouth open and babbled, but you can't claim to be super religious but not fulfill your basic moral obligations. I told her she was free to do what she wanted, but she needed to be honest with herself that she wasn't as good a Christian as she made herself out to be. It was so satisfying to tell both of those two the blunt truth! It was so funny to watch her try to justify abandoning a dying, elderly couple while talking about what a good Christian she is. DH and I have laughed about that ever since! Hypocrite.

It has been so satisfying not to have to bite my tongue anymore and they're both behaving slightly better since they know they're getting called out!

2Tired4Drama's picture

While your blunt attack on them was very well deserved, I'm just wondering what will happen when they have time to think about all this and decide what their next course of action will be and how much trouble they will try and create for you.

The bigger issue I see is that your DH seems very wishy-washy. He ignored your request to keep them away from your wedding, to keep them out of your home, but then he laughs with you about their hypocrisy.  Which is it with him?  I would be concerned about his position and would be hesitant to think he truly has your back.  It seems he is willing to fold if things get too difficult, which is why I wonder what will happen in the future.

I understand the simmering anger about adult "kids" like this who don't have a damn minute to spare for dying elderly grandparents, as we went through the same thing with SD.  That, among many other reasons, were why I decided to disengage from her. Unless absolutely necessary I don't have anything to do with her or her kids.  My SO can go and visit them on his time and I am happy to stay at home.

Believe me, I have SO MANY words I would love to spit at SD but I won't give her the satisfaction.  I certainly know that nothing I (nor anyone else) says to her is going to change her fundamental personality or her lack of character/morals. So I don't waste my time.

IMO, you should rest on your laurels for telling her/them off this time.  And the next time, don't even be around when they show up. 

The_Upgrade's picture

If OP keeps calling the skids out on their bullshit the best outcome is they get better. Worst outcome is they do their usual ghosting act. Either of those outcomes is as bad as having to put up with their bad behaviour indefinitely. 

CLove's picture

That either they will go more underground with their toxic manipulations of the truth, or ghost you both.

Im glad that your DH backed you up when you did this, however he didnt back you up at the wedding. That would concern me.

I definitely know that if I ever contradicted or engaged with either SDs calling them out on their ch!t I would have a really huge argument ahead of me.

Rags's picture

Your highlight of the concern that the OP's SO did not have their back at the wedding is an interface that should have happened at the wedding IMHO.

however he didnt back you up at the wedding. That would concern me.

A leaned over whisper in DH's ear at the wedding would have been in order.  IMHO.  And likely would have ended any further crap before it ever started.

"Get them under control or get them out of MY wedding.  If you don't do it immediatley, I will have them removed."

Some things and some topics are for discussing. Some are for telling.  

Ball-less wonder SOs and their toxic spawn are topics for telling.

IMHO.

reedle2021's picture

LMAO!  Love this!  You are AWESOME!  :)  I hope there is no retaliation on SD's part but as long as you only see her at your home with the cameras, that will keep that possibility to a minimum.  Also, I doubt after the utter humiliation you caused her that she will want to come back over to your house.  I call that a VICTORY!  Smile

Shieldmaiden's picture

Omg I love it! You told those little witches off! I am dealing with the same lying, manipulative, selfish little troublemakers in my life. I got cameras too, and I told DH the oldest SD21 isn't ever going to come over to our house, after the stunt she pulled at Thanksgiving. I am ready to let the two younger ones have it at Christmas, if they dare show their faces here and try to spew lies and take advantage of us again.