You are here

Does your dp give their daughters money behind your back?

Mystery23's picture

Hi

The reason I ask is on friday my dad and step-mum bought our lo a stroller and then afterward my dad secretly gave me like £300. Which I am happy but feel why does he have to hide it.

I know in the past my step-mum hated my dad taking me out on my own. She felt I got more than my step-brother and half-brothers. I feel I got less but to her I got more. I did live with my mother which my mum never could afford to buy me stuff my dad got me.

Have you had this issue that you husband goes behind your back and feel he gives too much to his kids? I feel that when it comes to my step-brother if my dad gave him money it would be out in the open and when its me they have to hide it.

I must stress what he does is his own business if he don't tell her stuff its not my business. If you read the bio dads section I wrote a post there for the dad. You might understand more on my situation.

ColorMeGone2's picture

Whatever gifts your dad gives you are between you and him. Whatever financial fights your father and his wife have are between the two of them.

My husband doesn't do this. My husband doesn't even have a clue how much money we have or where it is. He's screwed if I get hit by a bus! LOL It's just the division of labor we have in our house... he takes out the garbage and I handle the finances. If he spends, he tells me so I can keep track of it. So no, he doesn't give money or gifts to his kids behind my back. I don't do it, either. However, we've always pretty much agreed on what is fair when it comes to spending on his kids vs. our kids and the few times we haven't agreed, we've worked out a compromise we could both live with.

I say that if your father wants to give you money or whatever and you want to accept it, then fine. Whatever fallout occurs between him and his wife is none of your business. If your SM asks you about it, you tell her to take it up with your dad and say nothing else to her about it.

♥ Georgia ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

Angel's picture

if all things are financially sound in the home---AND YOUR MAN TAKES CARE OF YOU, he is financially solvent & you don't have to pay for him, and he actually helps support you by paying for more than what he uses (not this 50/50 crap that the modern hear me roar woman has fallen for)(and he can buy you a large coke when you go out)and there is enough left over for a little something for his adult loser princess---than go for it!!!!!!!

Was that a rant?????

Elizabeth's picture

SD is still in our house, so it's a little different. But, I see this as a trust issue more than anything. If he wants to give SD money, why can't he ask me? It's OUR money. SD14 is supposed to do chores and gets an allowance of $14 a week. To me that's more than adequate. But she never does her chores, and he just gives her money randomly. $20 here, $20 there, more for Christmas than our two BDs, etc. And the kids has so much discretionary money, it's not even funny. She breaks things in our house constantly (a phone, a trash can, a mirror) and he won't make her replace them. She buys herself pizza all the time, and God forbid anyone else have even a single piece. She goes to movies with her friends almost every weekend and goes shopping all the time. I can't afford to do all that!

I can't speak to your stepmom's issues here, but I'm guessing it has more to do with how what your dad is doing affects her than the fact that he's giving you money.

Mystery23's picture

but to me why hide it? Its not a crime to give you own daughter money now and again.
My father does not celebrate christmas or birthday so never really get present of him. My dp and are happy and I don't need my dads money but if I refuse he gets offended.
I know he feels guilty as he not given my lo something since he was born. I still feel its because my step-mum feels if my dad gets my lo something then they got to buy something for her sons kids which I suppose is fair. As far a my half-brother they get alot which I'm happy for this are my dads kids aswell so not bothered.
Like I did before I'm just going to let him get on with if he wants to hide giving me money then its up to him. Its their business what he does with their money. If I get money off him then I will be grateful if she don't know I'm not gonna drop my dad in it.I just worry that she will somehow find out and start saying stuff to me again.

gertrude's picture

My DH gives my SD money secretly all the time, and I always find out about it after the fact. And, yes it bugs me. But here is why - My SD is a grown adult, she has a 5 month old daughter, they live with us, and she needs to be responsible with her money. For our part, I am the bread winner in the family. My income could support us totally, although not very comfortably, as it did this past summer. However, my DH and I have worked out how we split the bills, etc. and I am responsible for the finances. The deal is supposed to be that we support SD while she gets on her feet and makes herself secure enough to support herself and her child. She has to work and go to school. She has to pay for her child's needs at all times. (Babyfood, diapers, etc. these are the essentials, and I truly believe she MUST learn to be responsible for that child - we are not going to be here forever!) I pay her tuition for college. She has to pay daycare, and she has to pay her own medical bills (she has a job with healthcare, so it's only copays). We put a roof over her head, we feed her, we occassionally provide clothing. Her expenses are her kid, and when there is a problem we step in, support her, and make a pay back plan. OK - so what does DH do? He gets her stuff. He secretly buys things that she needs to save for or get herself. There is no reason that she needs help to get diapers, and if she does, it means she has been irresponsible. DH just covers the cost. She will NEVER learn - and really - she is an adult, how long am I supposed to pay? It isn't like I begrudge her stuff, but this is regular funneling of money so that he doesn't always have his share of the household costs! I review budgets with both him and SD regularly so I understand how tight her income is. But still, when he can't cough up the money for the monthly heating bill, it really pisses me off.

Mystery23's picture

Giving her money then its not her fault.

So maybe this is why my dad don't tell my step-mum as maybe they need money for bills. As I said they bought a stroller and they afterwards he handed me more money. I don't think he was happy in my choice of stroller. I think he wanted me and dp to choose a more expensive one aswell.

I got it whispered in my ear several times before that he was giving me money and knew he had not told her.

In your case its the fact she lives with you but I don't be there done that bought the t-shirt. Not going to go live with them again.

I just think there is not harm in buying stuff now and again if say your sd is broke and needs help with stuff for the baby. It's if she take the p**s and expects all the time he bails her out. I honestly stopped relying on my dad along time ago.

If now I am broke I just don't ask as long as my son got enough until I get my money. I live with mum so maybe he feels I maybe need it I am glad of his help but don't want him having to lie about where £300 has gone from his account. As I keep saying its their business at the end of the day.

My dp takes care of me and the lo so don't need dads money. If its for the baby they I will just put it in his account or get stuff he needs.

UpToHere's picture

Well, my husband and I are (to the best of my knowledge) very open and honest with each other. We discuss when he wants to give money to his daughters. Honestly, I usually suggest more than he initially considers. For instance, one of our daughters (my step-daughter) took an internship out of state. When we moved her into her new apartment, he asked me privately if I thought he should give her $250 as "seed" money to keep her going until she got her first check. I told him she wouldn't actually get a check for over three weeks ... so I suggested $500. I think that's why he has no problem talking it over with me, because 95% of the time I'm totally behind the idea.

But, having said that, if your father is giving you money, that is between you and him. In a perfect world, yes, he should be discussing it with his wife and it's a shame that it makes you feel as though he has to hide it. Are they comfortable? If they aren't hurting for money, it may just be a matter of money not being an issue and she doesn't care one way or the other.

I'm sorry it feels as though he's hiding it, but remember he loves you deeply and wants to help you -- even if he has to be discrete about it.