You are here

Divorced & lonely SD34 fills in the gap with my DH

TwirlMS's picture

SD34 has not been on a single date since her divorce over two years ago. She's so annoying and unattractive that I'm not surprised.

Instead, she tries to butt in on her father's marriage to me and our date nights.

We put a stop to her habit of dropping by unannounced and walking in, so instead, she calls and announces that she's coming over to "pick something up" that she left here last time. She ends up staying all afternoon, when we already had houseguests that were staying with us for a month.

We already had plans to go to an outdoor concert with another couple, so I make it clear to DH that SD is not invited to come along. DH feels guilty for excluding her, and asks my permission to take her out on the boat fishing for a little while before the concert. As DH and SD are going out the door, I call out to be back in an hour. While he is out on the boat with SD, I have time to color my hair, get all dressed up and am waiting watching the clock. Two and a half hours later, when it's time for us to leave, he sails into the dock with SD, with 25 fish to clean and still in his fishy clothes.

TwirlMS's picture

I so agree with you. I think it's creepy that she wants to hang out with him. Publicly even.

Visiting yes, birthdays and holidays fine, but hanging out is what she should be doing with her friends.

She calls and says "I heard that there's a jazz & rib fest near your house" and asks him to go with her.

What if our neighbors saw the two of them there together? Ugh. They don't know her, rumors would fly. I'm sorry it just doesn't seem normal to me.

TwirlMS's picture

She should be making a date with her girlfriends to go out on a Saturday night.

If she doesn't go on boyfriend dates, she should at least make a date with a group of women to go do something. Instead, she sits at home alone with her dog.

JustAgirl42's picture

Biggrin You're probably still under the number of times that OCC has posted the disengaging link though.

TwirlMS's picture

She is manipulative with a capital M and he feels sorry for her that she is a now middle aged woman divorced, childless and lonely.

He has said no to her on many occasions. She was very rebellious as a teenager, according to DH, was a handful back then, and she continues her disrespectful behavior even now in her mid 30s.

Amber Miller's picture

She needs to grow up. How many of us got divorced in our 30's????? We all survived. I know I did. Oh, and I found a new life that didn't include being dependent on my parents or anyone else for that matter. Good luck with this one. I feel bad for you. I agree with Echo, even though I implied that your SD needs to get a life, I still think that it's up to your DH to put a stop to this coddling.

Amber Miller's picture

Hahahaha Catmom! Exactly! I love my dad but hell no. I wanted to explore my new found freedom when I left my husband. . If this woman ever plans on being in a relationship ever again then she needs to branch out and go explore life.

Helena.Handbasket's picture

I agree. He is the problem. Maybe if you ignore him for your friends, he might get the hint.

TwirlMS's picture

He's only tried to ditch our plans once so far in the 2 1/2 yrs. we've been married, so I am hopeful that he has learned his lesson and seen the disaster he caused. He ended up making everyone mad.

TwirlMS's picture

He lost track of time, he said. Between a rock and a hard place, and with 25 flopping around fish, he asks me and the other couple to go ahead without him and he will join us later. I refuse to leave without him, because I know he would be all night cleaning those fish and would miss the entire thing. I am not going to walk around a festival without my husband on a Saturday night, while he is back at the house with an uninvited SD. I tell DH she is a big girl and can clean her own fish. He quickly gets dressed while I am sitting in the car with the engine running. This is quite a scene, with SD standing at the fish cleaning table outside in our front yard, never before cleaning her own fish. Daddy always did it for her.

On our drive to the concert we have our first fight, caused by SD34. I am fuming mad that he didn't care enough to consider our plans that we had made weeks ago. When he made the excuse he didn't know what time it was, I told him he didn't care enough to find out.

TwirlMS's picture

LOL. I'm not sure I've ever owned a pair of those but for the first time ever, I showed him how mad I was, instead of holding it all inside, to keep the peace.

Helena.Handbasket's picture

Next time ask your male friend to go along with you so the ticket isn't wasted.

TwirlMS's picture

I don't have any male friends, just couple friends and female friends.

I wouldn't want to throw fuel on the fire, because I know it would blow up in my face. I've seen where that leads with my first husband.

toywas's picture

This is a sign of what your life is going to be like with him - you will always be second!!! You need to decide how you come first!

TwirlMS's picture

The problem with SD34 is, she badgers DH. She calls too much, e-mails too much. She's the jealous type. She's the nosy type.

I was really pissesd when DH was showing his daughter on Zillow a house that we were planning to buy as an investment. That is none of her business.

DH always considered my feelings first in the past, but because we have these houseguests this summer, he feels that I have their company, so I won't miss him as much. They're closing on their own home this weekend and will be leaving, so things should get back to normal after that.

TwirlMS's picture

DH doesn't own a watch and didn't have his cell phone with him.

SD however did have her cell phone with her, and so after 2 1/2 hours I texted her for the first time ever asking her to have DH call me.

She didn't answer my text but it was right after that that I saw them pulling into the harbor, so she got my drift.

TwirlMS's picture

I've been annoyed before about this SD, posted on here occasionally to vent, but this is the first time it actually caused a fight and argument between us.

This is the first time I felt that HE really blew it and was not just a victim (like me) of a very manipulative and jealous SD.

hereiam's picture

She's 34, for God's sake, she's not an old maid.

She will never get a life if your husband continues to be her "boyfriend".

TwirlMS's picture

She is 34 and DH and I are both in our late 50s. She looks older than her age, and DH is often told he looks to be in his 40s. This makes for an odd combination when it comes to taking SD out for dinner.

He sometimes asks if he or we could take her to some outdoor festival. A middle aged daughter and her dad walking around a festival together without me? That just seems too odd. I can't explain why, but I wouldn't walk around with my grown-up sons alone in a festival or fair. It just doesn't look right.

She suggests things for them to do together.

TwirlMS's picture

I told DH that SD should be going fishing on a pier by herself. (And take a long walk off a short pier, lol).

What better way to meet a guy? There's all kinds of them that fish alone and would welcome some conversation.

I told DH, she's never going to meet anyone hanging around with us.

toywas's picture

STOP MAKING EXCUSES!!!

It's right in front of your eyes - take off the rose colored glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!

TwirlMS's picture

You are right, there is no excuse. He saw how mad I was at him, and he was speechless after I got done with him. Then, he quietly said that we should forget this happened and kiss and make up,

I told him, as long as we communicated, I will. But really, it pretty much ruined our whole night.

If anything good came out of it, SD has made herself more scarce after that. She had to know (by my roaring engine in the driveway) that she caused a fight, bigtime.

TwirlMS's picture

Very well said Cat.

Her e-mailing him continually is a very bad idea for both of them. It just thrusts her problems into his face, so he can't ignore it. She wants to make him feel obligated.

When she was married, we didn't have a big problem with her, but she was showing jealousy early on where I was concerned. Wanted to exclude me from their Christmas party when we were engaged, that kind of thing.

TwirlMS's picture

She has a female friend from work, another middle aged divorcee, that she does things with sometimes.

You know what's crazy? She expects my DH to take her and her divorced female friends out on our boat. Totally inappropriate, and I told him so. We don't even know these people.

SD can find her own form of entertainment without involving us.

Anon2009's picture

"She's so annoying and unattractive that I'm not surprised."

It's not all about looks. But it is all about your husband's not being able to say, "sorry SD, I/we've got plans."

TwirlMS's picture

The sneaky thing she does is, she announces she's coming over with the excuse of picking up something of hers she left last time. How can we say no to that?

Then, when she is already here and I'm in the middle of making lunch, DH asks in front of our guests if SD can stay for lunch. Puts me on the spot. How can I say no?

I've gotten wise to them putting me on the spot. Navigating step parenthood is a continuing education.

hereiam's picture

You just say, "No". Tell her you have company, you are on your way out, whatever.

I think I'd take inventory when she does come over for a visit and make sure that she leaves with every damn thing she came with.

Your DH is enabling her to be dependent on him for her social life. She will never get one if he keeps it up and she really will be a lonely old maid.

If your DH can be consistent, she will stop her nonsense.

TwirlMS's picture

I totally agree with you. The problem happens when she calls DH's phone, announcing her intentions, and the conversation ends without me even being consulted. I find out about it after the fact that she "may be" on her way over.

You know what's funny, after we were gone to the concert and SD was still in our yard cleaning her fish, she walked into the house and frightened the houseguests, who didn't know she was still here, and was rummaging around in my kitchen looking for a different knife, quite upset. I heard about it the next day.

She was very upset she had to clean her own fish and didn't know how. Well, boohoo. She wasn't supposed to be here in the first place.

I was also glad that when she referred to her dad by his first name, as she always does, my houseguests told her they thought that was weird that she does that.
She's heard that from several people, but continues to defiantly call DH by his first name.

Poodle's picture

Every time she does that in front of other people, point out to both of them or to the room in general how weird that sounds and that you think it is overstepping a generational boundary. Then leave a silence and see what anyone says.

TwirlMS's picture

Yep. She doesn't have proper boundaries. DH has had to spell out for her the boundaries, but it seems to be an ongoing reminder that she needs.

It's really discouraging that she doesn't get this on her own.

SugarSpice's picture

sd knows exactly what she is doing. she has no life and is using her own father as friend. this is inappropirate on so many levels.

TwirlMS's picture

Thank you! It does get distracting doesn't it, but I do get some good advice and do like to commiserate with my fellow stepmothers.

Thank you everyone for being here for me. Sometimes, it's just too much and I have to write it all out.

TwirlMS's picture

She used to make excuses to borrow something of ours, come over to use our internet, printer, etc., but I outfoxed her there, giving her those things that she was continuously borrowing for her next birthday.

This last time, she left her fishing pole in our garage. I had no idea, it just blended in with all the others. Why she suddenly needed that when she wasn't invited over to fish, I don't know. Maybe she was going to another lake with her divorced girlfriend, I can only hope, but it sure didn't work out that way, she stayed here and fished with it.

You know what else is weird, while I'm on a roll. She volunteers her dad to help fix the car of her divorced co-worker, and borrow to her one of our cars. He told SD flat out no to that. That they are strangers to us.

I want to keep it that way.

Orange County Ca's picture

Tell her you found the item she left behind and thinking it was left by someone else called them who said to drop it off at the Goodwill. Or drop it in the trash and say that it's not been seen and perhaps she left it somewhere else.

Hey - they lie I lie.

ChiefGrownup's picture

I was going to post this idea but Orange County did it for me. And if she keeps childhood stuff at your house, for her next birthday give her a storage unit at Uhaul with the first 6 months paid.

And next time DH gets home too late for the concert smelling like fish, definitely go without him. Have a fantastic time. Be too tired for anything else when you get home.

And schedule 6 other fun things without him for time being. Right now he thinks you were being bitchy abut the fishing trip. SD wore her oh big bad SM is angwee, she so mean, but I wuv you daddy hat on. Let him know with your actions how it feels to be married to someone who is not apparently married to you. Make him catch up to your fun life and win you over again.

TwirlMS's picture

Good suggestions, I appreciate that.

We did actually rent her a storage unit when she first split with her husband a couple of years ago, to prevent her from moving all her stuff into our house. She did have quite a bit of her stuff here still when she lived with us for two months until we forced her to move into a hotel room. Fortunately now she has a house, but she still treats ours like her own, even though she didn't grow up here.

I don't want to get into the habit of going places without DH. I did that with my first husband, and it just made the rift wider and soon we were taking separate vacations.

Make no allowances for his bad behavior is my policy, but correct it on the spot. Make it so uncomfortable for him, that he is forced to do the right thing, or risk his own embarrassment. I felt sorry for the couple that we went to the concert with. It was embarrassing.

TwirlMS's picture

I agree with all you ladies, DH needs to say no without guilt. He's learning.

SD was married for 12 years. All this neediness started when SD and her husband split up. Before that, she wasn't around much except holidays.

You know what's funny? (funny as in odd) For Father's Day she gave DH a card that says "It's OK to leave the toilet seat up".

In her backward mind, it's me that he needs to defy, and bow to SD's wishes.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Of course that's what she thinks! They all do!

My SD15 is convinced her dad isn't happy with me. Everyone else he knows can't stop saying how much he smiles now and how much happier he obviously is. I know how happy he is.

But Teen Girl is convinced I have made him miserable.

Even when he has flat out told her the only reason for unhappiness he has is HER. We've decided next time she demands to know "why did your marry her!!!!??? (lip sticking out)" he's going to say, "Blow jobs. What else do you want to know?"

That'll shut'er up!

SugarSpice's picture

"It's OK to leave the toilet seat up".

?? that is something a wife would have in a card to her husband.

TwirlMS's picture

She has been trying to cause trouble alright, even in her Father's Day card, trying to imply that there is a disagreement, when there isn't.

She really can't stand the idea that DH and I are very happy together.

sandye21's picture

At the beginning of every week, send SD a text of days - the whole day - when you and DH will not be available for her to visit. Send a copy to DH. SD can ASK when she will fit into this schedule. Then go for marriage counseling. I really can feel for you. DH is completely devaluing you as his wife.

TwirlMS's picture

The only time we got third party counseling was when SD lived with us and it was driving me crazy having her here full time for two months. Ugh, it still brings back ugly memories.

A couple from our church finally had to tell DH that I was his most important relationship. He couldn't ignore the obvious anymore, SD had to be kicked out.

My own sister is a licensed marriage counselor in CA, and offered the solution of getting her a hotel room. It worked. We paid half and SD paid half. Our freedom from her was worth every penny. I don't usually complain to my sister about the SD, she's never been a stepmother. Also, she's pretty busy with her paying clients, lol.

TwirlMS's picture

Now that we have houseguests, I told DH in no uncertain terms, that SD should give them their space, just like we gave her privacy when she was living in our basement. She can wait for our schedules to open up more. I don't want to be giving her TMI about our plans, because they are subject to change anyway.

She talked DH into taking a day of vacation just to take her out fishing a month in advance, and when the day comes, it's record cold and pouring down rain. She leaves after half a day and one whole vacation day is wasted.

MamaFox's picture

I thought you said "houseGOATS" and got very excited. I love goats!

NotYetSM's picture

Ok this may be crazy but is 34 really middle aged now? I am sure it is easier to blame her than your husband because you already don't like her. The nice thing about this being your husbands problem is maybe you can work with him but you will never be able to work it out with someone you find annoying and ugly.

Maybe for Christmas ya'll could get her a membership to Match. Just tell her not to find a guy with kids - we all know what a PIA they are Wink

TwirlMS's picture

I don't care about her looks, but a future date probably would. Her annoying personality I can tolerate in small doses but I will probably never be close to a step daughter that I find annoying and can't wait to get away from.

Several people on here have said my husband is the problem, not his daughter.
I disagree because this SD has been a problem for her biological parents too for many years, starting as a teenager. So much so, that they took her to a child psychologist who diagnosed her with a learning disability where she can't see the "big picture". Doesn't see how her actions affect other people. DH confided that his rebellious daughter is the only reason he and his first wife ever fought. History is repeating itself.

I feel that's not an excuse to let her act out and cause harm to our marriage, but that is exactly what is happening.

hereiam's picture

But your husband saying, "Yes" to her all of the time is a problem.

What did your DH and the BM do about it when they found out that she had this learning disability?

TwirlMS's picture

And his not consulting me is a problem, or putting me on the spot instead of asking me privately if she can be included. Asking me too often is a problem.

If SD had her way, she would be over here all the time, heck she would still be living with us. :jawdrop:

I'm not sure how BM and DH handled it, I'll have to find out more, but I guess they coped as best they could. At least by bringing her to a psychologist they at least had a solid answer that is wasn't a fault of their parenting.

hereiam's picture

Having an answer is only part of it, I'm just wondering if they ever tried to do anything about it that would've helped HER.

My DH has a learning disability and it pisses me off to no end that his mother did not get him the help that he needed when he was young.

TwirlMS's picture

I know that they enrolled her in a good private Christian school, where the teachers had an extraordinary amount of patience. She never excelled in school, but she at least graduated high school, and is now in a low paying clerical job.

Her ex-husband, however, went on to graduate with a masters degree, eventually dumped SD for someone he met at work that was more of an intellectual match for him.

TwirlMS's picture

I wonder if Match.com has gift cards, Smile
Seriously, she's not a young adult anymore, but knocking on the door of middle-aged.
She's been married for 12 years, and divorced for two.

Technically, I think under 35 is considered young adult, 35-55 middle aged, and 55+ is considered seniors.

NotYetSM's picture

Yes, they do have gift certificates - maybe that and glamour shots for XMas/chanakah will help get her out of your life and into her own.

TwirlMS's picture

We gave her a subscription to the internet, but the rest is up to her.

If on-line dating blows up in her face, I don't want to be responsible.

Keepsmiling's picture

Osd has been living with us for a year. She lost her job. In the beginning we never went anywhere unless DH asked her to go with us. That got old real quick. For god's sakes she is 39, never married..get a life. Now, we don't ask her. We both felt guilty at first not anymore. I am counting the days until she is out of here.

TwirlMS's picture

My gosh I feel sorry for you. I hope you have an exact date she is expected to leave. We have a two month limit on our guest bedroom, and only in the case of emergency to help someone get resettled.

TwirlMS's picture

Maybe the next time we have a marriage retreat weekend with the church, I may sign us up.

The last time one was advertised, DH said we don't need that, we're very happy together. It's more like a marriage check-up. Kind of a well visit, just to make sure we are on the same page with everything. Kind of a preventative maintenance thing.

The majority of posters here are saying I should have gone alone on our date night.
Instead I forced him to choose, and put him on the spot, and fortunately for us, he made the correct choice and went with me. I think SD needed to see that, otherwise she would have accomplished what she set out to do, and that is to separate her dad and me.

Also, by cleaning her own fish, maybe just maybe, it dawned on her what a time consuming and distasteful job she was expecting her dad to do every fishing trip. We also told her she needed to take along the remains and not leave them in our trash. Sticking her nose in that all week until trash day at her own house had to be a good reminder of the stink that she caused at ours. :sick:

SugarSpice's picture

what a great answer! you have such great advice!

agree with what catlettuce says here. most counselors dont know how to approach a second marriage and only think of a family that is intact. it does not work with steps or blended families. they think all problems are solved by just haveing the wife treat the kids as her own.

sandye21's picture

"The majority of posters here are saying I should have gone alone on our date night." Me too. "--- fortunately for us, he made the correct choice and went with me." It appears he made the right choice - but a little too late. His actions sound passive aggressive. He WANTED to be late so HE had the power to make YOU late. Otherwise he wouldn't have made the fishing date with SD in the first place, knowing there might be a risk of being late. This is why you really need to go without him if the situation occurs again. He needs to be put on the spot a few times to understand that your time is just as valuable as his.

I'd leave him a note, "Gone to ____." If he decides not to go tell him what a good time you had, and get a dreamy look in your eyes like you've met the love of your life. If he shows up late, pretend you don't see him walk in, and make sure you are talking to a handsome man. I've done this before and it works. What I am trying to say is please don't let him have this power over you. Let him know by your actions that you are taking your power back. My DH used to be very passive-aggressive. He would have a satisfied smirk on his face, really amused. Then one day I decided that instead of whining I would play the game back and give him a bit of his own medicine. It is a rare occurrence that he plays passive aggressive today - he never knows what the consequences will be.

TwirlMS's picture

I think SD goads him into misbehaving. When I called out to be back in an hour, that probably made her mad.

Whenever DH says no to her, she thinks I'm behind it.

She was furious with DH that we didn't come to a party that she had at her house this summer. Her first ever party, and only two people showed up. She even asked to borrow all of our stackable chairs, thinking we would come if we had to bring the chairs.

Not my fault, but DH didn't want to attend a party where a slew of his first wife's relatives were invited. I don't blame him. He told her no before I was even consulted. Made an excuse that he had to pack for a business trip the following Monday.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Good to hear he's capable of "no."

Interesting that he used that skill quite easily with her when the event in question would cause HIM discomfort. Anyway, when you lay out your reasons for going with him that night it sounds like you did do the best thing. In these forum posts we can't put in all the details and nuances and history so the responders may go slightly off-key but you know your situation far better than we do.

I also know why many of us don't want to blame our husbands most of the time. It is because we need at all costs to protect our positive feelings toward our husbands. We can only dole out the anger in careful doses or the marriage will lose its foundation. I feel it's a wise policy for most of us. This is for the husbands who are really good guys otherwise but have big blind spots in areas that end up causing stress. The guys who are too too too far down the path of Guilty Parenting/Wife Demeaning always get left anyway.

TwirlMS's picture

You are so right.

In all the other areas of marriage we have complete agreement, so I'm not worried.

It's only SD that gets under my skin. I wish she wouldn't but it is never an isolated incident with her.

As time goes by and there is still no boyfriend in the picture for SD, I am afraid that she will get more desperate. I have to remind DH that he can't fix this for her, can't and shouldn't be her Saturday night date. He called her briefly Saturday night and reported back to me how she was home, not doing anything. He asked if she's planning to go to the state fair coming up and she glumly said no, and sounded depressed. This time, he didn't suggest she join us, thank goodness. Learned his lesson I hope.

I reminded him, that she's an adult and quickly changed the subject. Sometimes you just get tired of his mood going down the drain whenever he talks to her.

sandye21's picture

"Good grief-See, Why did he even go there?!" "DH was just trying to get you to suggest bringing her along----." You nailed it, Cat. I'll bet if OP goes without him a few times the situation will change also. SD is being a pain in the butt but DH needs to get his priorities straight.

TwirlMS's picture

He should not have brought up an event she's not invited to, and spared her feelings. You are right there Catlettuce.

He knows I'm not interested in having her tag along to that kind of thing. He just made me feel guilty and made her feel even more lonely by bringing up the fair at all.

I shouldn't feel guilty for wanting our date nights to be just the two of us.

Stepping sucks's picture

Most daughter's of remarried dads are manipulative, but this one sounds possessive and needy as well....oh boy do I empathise with you! I'm dealing with similar situations myself...not just with SD, but SGD as well! If you find an answer, please let me know, because I'm tearing my hair out!!!

Freshstart's picture

I have worked out that it does not mean that DH is a bad guy, when they can manipulate but it does mean that they forgot to be a smart parent.

When I divorced, my son was 14 months old but I remember being smart enough to think "I will not be one of these women who partner with their child because they are lonely." So I already had thought through that as he got older I would push him towards independence with male role models and encourage him to go out.

Move forward and I meet my DH with a 14 year old SD who had not been out with anyone but daddy for a year post divorce. Not one movie with friends etc. I love him but that is thoughtless and lazy parenting.

Sorry to sound judgemental but your DH is the same. They put their guilt and their desire to feel needed and important ahead of their wife or their child's independence.

It's sad.

Go on your own next time. I would!

TwirlMS's picture

I feel that my role as a stepmother to an adult is direct her to an appropriate outlet to satisfy her need for attention. I've suggested to her many ways she can get reconnected to a healthy social life post-divorce. I detailed exactly how in my thread back in April. I give suggestions to DH and he can relay that information to SD, since they talk on the phone and e-mail. I don't with her.

Lately, whenever DH brings up poor maligned SD and her situation, I redirect the conversation to something positive, reminding him that she's an adult. Whenever he wonders if she is home alone and lonely, I've started to reply that I hope she is out with some friends her own age. That gives DH the message that it's not his job to fix. Her social exile is self-imposed.

TwirlMS's picture

I feel my anxiety level rising. SD34 is about to come over to drop off her dog for the weekend. She's heading out of town to a family reunion for her mother's side. Yay!
She asked us 3 months ago to babysit her dog over Labor Day weekend, and I reluctantly agreed because she watches ours during our winter vacation (though we pay her $200 and we babysit hers for free).

I am already babysitting two grandchildren, a 2 yr. old and a 7 yr. old since their mom had a baby two days ago. My son and daughter in law have a new baby, so I've been keeping their older two for the last 5 days.

Now this is where SD34 totally floors me. She asks to come over with her dog the night before she is set to leave and spend the night on our couch downstairs because she is "afraid to spend the night alone at her house without the dog". Such BS and manipulation again. She lives in a nice quiet neighborhood and that border collie is no watch dog anyway.

We already have the two grandkids spending the night in our guest bedroom, we certainly don't want an adult SD34 on the couch right outside their door. They don't really know her and would get scared.

No way is SD spending the night on our couch, when she just lives 20 minutes away.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Something's wrong with her. Wants to horn in your full house cuz she's "scared" of her own house? No. Way.

I looooooooved my doggies. Missed them terribly when I had to board them. Guess what. I boarded them anyway.

Your SD is driving ME nuts and she's nothing more than pixels to me! She needs to go on some dates, take some classes, volunteer some places and get the f out of dad's lap!

TwirlMS's picture

Yes!

Just like her ex-husband has moved on (had a baby with his new SO), SD can't go back to that relationship. Neither can she go back to being a little girl under the wing of DH and his new wife (me). Neither original family exists anymore and SD must feel like a piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit anywhere.

It's up to her to build a new life for herself.

TwirlMS's picture

What I really wanted was for DH to go pick up her dog, since I was over at the hospital visiting the new family last night. My DIL is going to be released from the hospital today. But no, SD would not allow the dog to be picked up unless she came with it and stayed overnight. Grrrrr.

I told DH on the phone, absolutely not, it's too many people.

Well, today the dog came over, a bit ago. It's really a lovely dog, so soft, quiet and sweet. Nothing like her owner. It just forced me to delay my departure to go back to the hospital. It's always this power struggle, uncooperative attitude that gets on my nerves. It's her way or the highway, even when I'm doing her a favor by taking her dog in the first place.

TwirlMS's picture

That must be funny to see.

I wish I could train the dog to babysit the 2 yr. old. They could spend hours on throw and retrieve. Smile