You are here

Death Really Seems to Bring out the Worst in DH's Family!

3_steps_ahead's picture

While I don't post on here too often, I've finally gotten to a point where I could really use some advice and support from my fellow steppers. (I apologize in advance if this is long and rambling.)

MIL who had been estranged from DH, DD11 and myself for the past couple of years passed away unexpectedly about a month ago. She died during Christmas break when I was out of town on a day trip with our daughter to enjoy a day of shopping (it was actually on the 20 year anniversary of my father's death and I wanted to be occupied with something more positive). When DH called, he had told me not to be alarmed or rush back home, but that he had gotten a call from one of his uncles telling him that he needed to get to his mother's house right away, that she had been found dead in her home. While I tried to keep calm, I started getting phone calls within minutes from one of DH's family members telling me that a lot of people were at my MIL's house and that while my MIL's body was still in the living room and they were waiting for the Medical Examiner to show, that things had actually deteriorated so badly to the point that police officers were actually breaking up a physical altercation between two of my DH's cousins. With everything going on, my daughter and I cut our day trip very short and headed back home.

I headed to my MIL's house (without our daughter) to try to see how DH was doing. When I arrived, one of DH's cousins (with whom my MIL was very close) was sitting at the table, going through all of the filing cabinets, taking all of the valuables (purse, money, antiques, jewelry, etc.) for "safekeeping". This cousin was given all keys to the house as well as keys to my MIL's vehicle. This cousin was insisting that there was a will and that my MIL had listed her as the executrix. I asked if anyone knew where the will was, and was only told that they were "looking for it". I had asked if anyone knew the attorney that my MIL had used for the will, but no one knew. Well, within a matter of a couple of days while my husband was at work, this cousin, YSD20 (who was on leave from the Army at the time), an aunt, uncle and a couple of other cousins tore my MIL's house apart unbeknownst to DH while he was at work. They cleared out every single valuable in the house that they could find, divvyed up almost all of my MIL's personal effects along with whatever personal effects were still in the house that had belonged to my MIL's late husband. They tore apart mirrors from their backings and pictures out of their frames to see if they could find anything hidden. After all of this, they were unable to find a will (which my DH and I pretty much knew all along never existed, but DH felt that he needed to allow them the ability to look for one). As my DH is the only next of kin, his attorney drafted up a letter to be given to all of the family members advising them that what they had done was a crime and that they needed to return all items to the estate immediately. The cousin that had originally stated that she was the "executrix" was forced to provide DH with the keys to my MIL's house vehicle. When my DH got into the house, we had found that these family members had tried shredding bills that were due that the estate would have to pay and that all of a sudden, my MIL's vehicle would not start. We found that someone had tried clearing out my MIL's savings account and tried transferring all of the money into her checking account after her death and before they gave DH her wallet. The cousin ended up bringing back some menial garbage (costume jewelry, plastic decorations, etc.) and stated that these were all of the items taken - even guaranteed that nothing left my MIL's house without her knowledge. The only "genuine" items that came back were my MIL's original wedding set (which my MIL had always said that she wanted YSD to have) and a couple of the gold and silver coins. We have a HUGE list of items that are still missing and have been told by other family members that were around the day that the house was cleared out that several people (YSD included) had left the house with multiple boxes of items from the estate.

As for the jewelry that my MIL was wearing at the time of death, YSD and the cousin that originally claimed to be the executrix tried to get my MIL buried with her anniversary ring set (which everyone including them knew that my MIL had always promised to DD11). Both YSD and the cousin however, tried to get the funeral home to release the rest of the jewelry to them on a few occasions even after determining that there was no will. YSD even tried telling the funeral home that the jewelry was her own personal jewelry and asked for them to send it all to her at the Army base that she is stationed at.

Now, DH is getting text messages from the cousin that claimed to be the executrix asking when YSD is going to get "her jewelry". Since YSD doesn't want to deal with DH and told family members that he "had no right" to be informed of my MIL's passing and that he "knew that he wasn't supposed to be at my MIL's house", she's trying to have the cousin do her dirty work for her. The cousin is insisting that DH send all of the jewelry to her so that she can forward it on to YSD. At this point, DH doesn't even have any of the jewelry as whatever we did get went straight to the attorney until the court formally appoints DH as the administrator.

The attorney is currently drafting up letters for all of the family members that stole items from the estate that have still not returned all of the property. All family members, including YSD, will have a set amount of time to return the property before charges are filed. As far as this is concerned, I'm a little concerned. I've been told by several people that if YSD does not return the property and ends up facing criminal charges in our state that she can get in a lot of trouble in the Army and possibly even get kicked out. (Despite my feelings for her and everything that she's done to us, that's about the last thing I'd want to happen because I don't want her ending up back in town.) Also, while DH has said that he won't ever stand in the way of fulfilling his mother's wishes, he has said that if the members of his family that stole from the estate can't return the stolen property, then nobody is getting anything else - YSD included.

As "just the wife", some of DH's family members have told me that none of this is my business because DH "isn't my family". I'm not sure what to do here - if anything. DH tells me that any decisions about what is going to happen to my MIL's house, belongings, etc. are going to be made together as we are a team. While I think that's great, I don't want to be the cause of even more problems between DH and his family because I'm "sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong." What do you guys think is the best course of action for me to take in all of this?

Sparklelady's picture

Stand beside your husband and support him. He needs you, he just lost his mom. He appears to value you as his support system. Whenever it looks shady with the family - use the lawyer to be the bad guy.

If you think they look bad now, just wait when there's real money involved - greedy family members are an absolute nightmare. But, they are also like horrible birth moms - if you give them even an inch they will try to take everything and walk all over you. So help your husband to disengage from the family, use the lawyer to help you get through all the legal matters, and just push everybody else aside. They are going to speak ill of you no matter what you do, so just do what you know is right, and that is to be there with your husband supporting him.

step2012's picture

Wow, that is a lot to take in.

You need to be there for your Husband, screw what anyone else says about it. If they don't believe that it is any of your business then I hate to see the state of their marriages. You are a couple and you make big life and financial decisions together.

Be there to support him but have him do the communicating with the rest of the family. Sit on your hands if you have to and bite the inside of your cheek to not come to his rescue when in these situations. It sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and is making good choices, be his support in the background and let him deal with his own family.

I wonder if it might not be best to dis-regard the missing items? I assume that there is an inheritance in the way of a home or other assets. I would be most concerned with the items with sentimental value such as the wedding set, which you have said was returned. (I am not sure what YSD stands for), this person has acted abominably but perhaps by being the bigger person and dropping the matter you could save them years of paying for a poor choice now? Something to consider.

As for the others, change your number if you have to, you are under no obligation to allow yourself to be abused by these people and neither is DH. Give some money to a charity of choice and pay off your bills and then get on with your life....together.

Anon2009's picture

I have to agree with SA. Your dh cut mil out of his life a long time ago. I also believe that if you cut someone out of your life, you also cut their things out of your life. Even in death. So I can see why the others thought it was ok to take MILs stuff. He was her next of kin, but he was out of her life for a long time.

Orange County Ca's picture

Nothing you experienced surprises me. All you can do now is have your husbands attorney beg that the items be returned because unless your husband can prove who took what there is little to be done.

The lessons to be learned are that you and your husband should give any valuables to the people you want to receive them before you pass away. Make it clear to everyone in your will that a will exists (a Living Trust is better) and let everyone know where to find it. Don't assume everyone will act like ladies and gentlemen.

Give keys only to a few trusted family members, preferably only the executor of the Trust or Will. Put titles to motor vehicles in your name as well as the name of the person you want to "inherit" the vehicle worded so that either of you can take clear title should the other pass. Usually its just "Jane Doe OR Mary Doe".

My mother told me "You never really know a person until you've shared an inheritance with them". The vulture really comes out when there is a death in the family.

3_steps_ahead's picture

To clarify on something, DH didn't cut my MIL out of his life, it was the other way around. Long story short, the estrangement was due to YSD's lies to my MIL about us. The only solution in my MIL's eyes was for DH to leave me in favor of YSD - nothing else would have sufficed. By the time my MIL realized that YSD had lied to her and used her, the damage had already been done and they had all gone too far in bashing DH and I to the rest of the family -it was too far gone to take anything back without looking bad. My MIL was too proud of a person to ever admit that she was ever wrong and would never say she was sorry about anything she may have done. Believe me, despite how my MIL treated us, we still loved her and cared about her and would try to see how she was doing even if it was met with hostility every single time.
Being that my MIL spent the last of her years angry at us based on lies that she had been fed, if it were up to me, I'd walk away from all of it without a second thought. I don't need, nor do I want anything that she had - there are no items of sentimental value there for me. The problem is that she owned a house with a mortgage on it and died with no will so in our state, this had to go to probate and as my DH is the only next of kin, he'd end up responsible for dealing with this anyway. From my husband's perspective, he just wanted some sentimental items (family recipes, some things that he had given his mom when he was a child, family photos, items from his brother's funeral) all items that they had thrown in the trash without a second thought.
As for my MIL's feelings for my husband, we don't feel as though she ever stopped loving him. There were pictures of my husband, keepsakes from him and all sorts of things that he had given her over the years all still prominently displayed throughout her house on the day she died. Her problem was that she let her pride get in the way.
As for assets, let's just say that overall, my MIL died well in the red at the end of the day and DH and I have already spent about $1K of our own money that we will never see again trying to keep things afloat until things go through probate.
The issue that I am most concerned with at this point in dealing with the estate is the original wedding set and the other jewelry that my YSD is demanding via the cousin. In that situation, my YSD was the one to have cut DH out of her life and now she wants something from him, but she's having someone else do her dirty work for her - that's the issue that I'm not sure how we should handle.

Anon2009's picture

Sorry, I didn't know that part.

At this point all you and DH can do is get an attorney and let it go through the courts.