You are here

Dear Prudence: Thirteen years ago my Parents Divorced after I discovered Dad had been having an affair...

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Dear Prudence,

Thirteen years ago my parents divorced after I discovered he had been having a long-term affair with another woman. It left my mom a wreck, and I decided to cut off all contact with my father after he turned vengeful toward me for having found out his affair. I was 14 years old, and a family therapist supported my decision as my father’s behavior was out of line. During the first few years he sent emails asking to see me. But whenever I saw him it ended in tears and disappointment, so I stopped replying to his emails entirely. Today my mom is still a wreck, but I somehow managed to turn out OK. I excelled in my studies, have a wonderful boyfriend, friends, and a good job. My father recently sent an email asking to meet as he has realized he acted wrongly and would like to make amends. My feelings of anger toward him are almost gone and I know deep inside he is a good man. Nevertheless, I’ll never be able to forgive him for how he treated me or my sister. I just feel sadness over the situation and can’t really see how meeting him could do any good. Still people keep telling me I should give him yet another chance. What should I do?

—Conflicted

Dear Conflicted,
If you decide to have dinner with your father, look upon it as a discrete decision about how to spend a few hours. One meal is not an exoneration, nor is it a blanket forgiveness. You would simply be talking to him, with the understanding that it is up to you to consider whether you want him in your life to whatever degree you feel comfortable. Your father behaved abominably during your childhood. He may be a changed man who wants to make amends and re-establish a bond with you and your sister. He may be the same guy who ends up leaving you feeling sad and let down. But it sounds to me that despite your understandable mixed feelings, you want to give this a try. So see him. Don’t let the meeting become a big dredging of the past; use it instead to catch each other up on your lives—which should cover plenty of material. I’m delighted that you came out of the difficult childhood a whole and happy person. I hope that if you re-establish contact with your father, your mother doesn’t make you feel you’re being disloyal to her. Yes, her marriage ended in a humiliating way, but it’s not to late for her to recognize that she shouldn’t let this sadly common event determine the course of the rest of her life.

—Prudie

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2014/06/dear_prudence_m...

Pilgrim Soul's picture

I know! I thought the same thing, stacey! Looks like this is yet another princess saying, I was horribly betrayed by my daddy NOT putting MY interests above anyone's at such a tender age, and even though it rocked my world, i was able to go back to the right way of seeing things: me and only me is what matters!0

"I’ll never be able to forgive him for how he treated me... can’t really see how meeting him could do any good"

The darling girl needs to grow up and learn what we all learn along the way: give and take, forgiveness and compromise.

I will bet anything that the BM who insists on being "still a wreck" has done everything in her power to make daughters her faithful minions.

tiggidy08's picture

There's never enough background on these to form any type of response. Although I would never condone cheating, why did he cheat? The daughter sounds like a mini-wife, like he cheated on HER. How would she feel if her father turned his back on her for cheating on her husband? She didn't do it to he father, but she'd be devastated I'm sure.

And 10+ years later you're still not over it? The ex wife sounds like she's in need of some therapy.

Shaman29's picture

To be fair to the letter writer, she said she discovered her father having the affair.

She may have seen them together. She may have found descriptive emails or overheard a steamy phone call.

To a hormonal 14 year old girl, this is probably was devastating. Her father may have been her hero. She may have looked up to him. He may have been a lousy husband but a great father.

Have the pedestal kicked out from under a parent is devastating at any age. It's when we realize their human and fallible.

SugarSpice's picture

at 14, she was in the electra stage and probably did see her father as a boyfriend. not healthy but understandable.

The_Atheist's picture

The emotional damage done by affairs is like a mauling on the psyche. My ex cheated when I was pregnant with my second. Our daughter was 8.

She learned from watching her father even the person closest to you can be capable of utterly destroying your family, economic security, trust and happiness just for a little romp.

I can completely understand this girl and I think its gross so many mock her pain
My daughter is 17, she STILL goes to a psychologist and has trust issues. Its not because I, as her mother, groomed her to feel so bad either. I'm the one that held her together the last decade as her father slept with every where bag in town

ChiefGrownup's picture

Soooooo.....Mom is a wreck for decades and putting it on her daughters to feel pity for her and make her the center of their worlds.

Dear little girl,

There's a clue in your mom's hanging on to her bitterness and damage for decades. That is not the reaction of an otherwise healthy person to the oh so common life experience of a disastrous end to a marriage. Most of us lick our wounds then get on with life.

It's possible your mom was ALWAYS a train wreck and your dad figured it out sometime after the 2 of you were born. In his desperation to survive because of his sense of commitment and his love for his children, he made a mistake. He hoped it would help him limp along until his children were grown up and he could escape. Maybe he was upset to have this house of cards blown apart. Maybe his ex-wife built a wall of thorns around his children, rendering his clumsy attempts to relate to them doomed.

It's possible your Dad is not a terrible person, it's possible he's a human one. Little girl, you have no idea how you would handle the same pressures your dad was under.

But if you do find yourself on the receiving end of a bad marriage, I hope you DON'T follow your mother's example by letting it "wreck" your life for decades. And, should you feel trapped in one, undoubtedly you will do so much better than you dad did and handle it with perfect grace, integrity, and cheerfulness. Or maybe you won't.

Here's a thought, why don't you ponder the idea that you have no idea what was really going on between your mom and your dad as a married couple? Maybe your mom did things that your dad will never tell you because, guess what, it really is nunya bizness. Maybe she had affairs of her own, maybe she gambled away his life savings, maybe she was emotionally abusive, maybe she made sex a living hell.

Even if she was a saint, why don't you consider that violent criminals get a shorter sentence than you are giving your dad?

Why not let the past be the past, drop your Wrecked-Mom-Colored Glasses and look at your dad afresh?

Why not give him a real chance, adult to adult, without the spectre of your mom's Tragic Eyes looming between you?

Sign me,

You Don't Know the Whole Story and You Never Will

Pilgrim Soul's picture

ChiefGrownUp, BRAVO!!!! ... clapping my hands and throwing bouquets of virtual roses at you... Smile

You are like a breath of fresh air! Where did you come from?
All these whiny brats behind those letters could use a piece of your mind every day of the week.
You should be Dear Prudie. I'd nominate you in a New York minute.

Love your "nunya bizness", BTW. I might steal it and make it my next online moniker!

AllySkoo's picture

This. Is. PERFECT! I wish you could submit it as an alternate answer for real!!!

Anon2009's picture

I love how people try to deflect blame from the cheater to the person cheated on. The mother's reaction to this so many years later isn't healthy. But this guy still made the choice to cheat.

SugarSpice's picture

what is damaging is when bm cheats on her husband and you marry him after she divorces him. skids will then blame you for everything anyway.

Anon2009's picture

Agreed SA. Anyone who cheats better be prepared to pay lots of alimony.

It's irritating to hear or see the cheater try to blame the person they cheated on. People who cheat make the choice to cheat. You're unhappy in your relationship? Get out. If you're married, file for divorce.

jennaspace's picture

Amen!

SugarSpice's picture

agree with this. adultery is never just a mistake. it is a deliberate and conscious act. as for bm being a wreck for decades, she needs to get one with her life.

NotYetSM's picture

You said it best never an excuse for cheating and a 14 year old should not have to deal with those emotions. At least it doesn't appear he married the tramp he cheated with. Well tramp assuming she knew he was married.

Disneyfan's picture

Well said StepAside.

There are plenty of SMs here who deal with BMs who cheated. No one ever say those BMs made a mistake or that the men may have caused BM to cheat. Nope, BM is a whore who just couldn't keep her legs closed.

Why are so many here quick to excuse dad's who have cheated but not mom's?

sandye21's picture

Gee! My SD STILL won't forgive me after 23 years, and I didn't even know her parents when they divorced. But yes, people DO hang on to hate.

Anon2009's picture

I think people underestimate how cheating can affect families. Never mind damaging trust. It can ruin reputations and cause devastation for the loved ones of the cheater, the person they cheated on and the person they cheated with. If the couple chooses to separate it can bring about economic hardship. That could've been the case for this woman and her family. We don't know.

At least she's talking with her dad now and thinking about working things out with him. A lot of adult skids don't do that and there wasn't any cheating involved in their situations.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Hi Anon, I usually tend to agree with you but not when you get on the subject of cheating. Makes me think of the Scarlet Letter...

I would say that few things in life are black and white, not all unions are monogamous, not all value systems are built by Puritans, and marriages are complex, layered, nuanced, and non-linear. In every marriage there may come a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, to use your quote. ChiefGrownup wrote beautifully above about things this young woman may never know, and latching on to ONE factor is a sign of a rigid and circumscribed approach, in my opinion. Many marriages by the way survive affairs. I much prefer the French view of these things to the one that prevails over here.

Your point about the hardship the choice to separate may bring with it is valid. But has anyone promised any of us a healthy, wealthy and wise intact family to grow up with? Is it a must to provide a carefree life to your kids? Do you think people in the third world are inferior parents because they have to raise a family on one dollar a day?

Anon2009's picture

I think that the original writer latches onto that because she discovered her dad cheating. Maybe she saw him f!cking with his cheating buddy. I don't think discovering that your parent is cheating is something you can easily forget.

Do I think poorer people in third world countries (or any country) are inferior parents? Not unless they're abusing or harming their kids intentionally.

Ready for Freedom's picture

Pilgrim, I gotta agree with you here.

"not all unions are monogamous, not all value systems are built by Puritans and marriages are complex, layered, nuanced, and non-linear."

And here:

"I much prefer the French view of these things to the one that prevails over here."

Many people have open marriages and are just as committed to the relationship as a non-monogamous couple is.

I think the U.S. gets a little too wrapped up about sex and sexuality....they place way too much meaning on it. Now, having said that, if you sign up for a monogamous marriage then I do believe you should honor that commitment and stay faithful. If you want to play, then you should sign up for a non-monogamous marriage and play away. It really is that simple. It's not one size fits all when it comes to marriages.

AllySkoo's picture

To be fair, if people are in an open relationship then I don't consider that cheating. "Cheating", to me, isn't really about sex - it's about betraying the trust of your partner and the promises you've made to them. If there's no betrayal of trust (because you both agreed monogamy isn't for you) then there's no cheating. So talking about non-monogamous relationships in a "cheating" thread seems like a bit of a red herring to me.

sandye21's picture

As individuals we all have different tolerance levels for everything, including cheating. My ex left me for a woman at work. He took all of the savings out of the bank and left me penniless with two children to feed. I could go on and on about how nasty the divorce was. Until I could get a job, I babysat for food on the table. I did not get any support from him for several years until the state went after him.

It took a while to get over it both financially and emotionally, but eventually I found out how lucky I was to get rid of the slime ball. He actually taught me many valuable lessons. I learned to be self-sufficient, to bargain for wood to heat the house, to build and repair things myself, to do what you have to so your children are warm and fed, that you become resilient in order to survive and thrive.

It is impossible to determine the extent of shock the daughter must have felt when she caught her Dad cheating. The OP does not go into detail about what she actually witnessed. But I strongly believe that her mother's refusal to let go and get on with her life, and her father's long-lasting lack of caring continued to reinforce her feelings of betrayal by her father - like brain washing. Yes, it's pretty sick.

At least the OP shows some willingness to work things out with her father. And I am glad that she is happy in her life, that she did not stagnate in hate and negativity as her mother did. It's nice to see there is hope.

You pointed out that "a lot of skids don't do that when there's no cheating involved." This only confirms how ridiculous and how unjustifiable their actions are at times, how some little thing is inflated or exaggerated or imagined to keep the hate alive and burning.

Anon2009's picture

I agree. Some little things are blown out of proportion in the minds of adult skids to keep the hate going instead of just resolving it at the time with the sp or whoever else was involved.

jennaspace's picture

I think an affair is very painful for everyone involved. My DH's ex cheated on him and the kids have paid dearly. There is no home to go back to with grandkids. Because of remarriage, kids spend much less time with both parents.

That said, I don't think an affair alone is a reason to shut a parent out of one's lives. With abuse and negligence (which can come w/affairs, negligence that is), it's a different story. It's hard to know all that went on that brought the daughter to this point. My guess is that as she gets older and experiences failures of her own, she'll be more forgiving.

MamaFox's picture

I tend to agree, especially when a woman knowingly goes after a married man. To those women, it's all ego. She is the better lover, she is prettier, more successful, less inhibited....whatever. It's like Mistresses build this super fantasy about how this poor man is so deprived and the wife is some ice queen so she deserves to be cheated on and the Mistress is the better woman in the end because she can give him what he NEEDS.....

Ahem. I have been cheated on multiple times. I have never cheated on anyone or have knowingly been the other woman ever.

I absolutely abhor women who do not respect another woman's marriage/relationship.

And no, I'm not leaving the cheater husbands out of this, they are selfish, inhumane, disgusting pieces of shit too.

MamaFox's picture

Come hell and high water....I hope no bitch, and no FDH ever makes the mistake of thinking cheating on me is a good idea.

I would make BM look sane.

jennaspace's picture

I do agree with you about cheating, it's absolutely devastating for everyone else but the happy couple. My DH's ex thought that God wanted her to "be happy". Apparently her theology didn't include anyone else's happiness.

I had a longer post before regarding my own experience with adultery. I erased because it was such a painful chapter in my life. My mom and dad were both very unfaithful. That and everything else made it an awful way to grow up. My mom had a 60's attitude where "growups" cheat. She was a narcissist (textbook)and there was no convincing her. Most serial cheaters seem to care about their dogs (literally) much more than the women (or men) and children whose lives they are devastating.

As I've grown into my 40's and seen several marriages break up because of adultery, I've noticed a trend. The people who are very cavalier about putting their kids through the pain of adultery, had parents whose marriages remained intact. I've often wondered how they would act if they'd been through what they were putting their kids through.

Bottom line is they are willing to make a trade.. their unhappiness in their marriage for the happiness of their kids and spouse. It's selfish and it's a mistake.

I get the temptation to cheat, I really do. I was single for a long time and considered pretty attractive in my youth. Opportunities with married men presented themselves often. I believe in the Christian teaching that it all starts in your head (emotional adultery is a betrayal too) and so I'd force myself to think "that's so and so's husband and so and so's dad" when I'd see the guy, instead of "Larry". I'm not saying that to demonstrate my moral superiority, I've messed up plenty. I'm saying that because I get how incredibly tempting it can be when you work with someone day after day who is very attractive and is attracted to you. But.. it's wrong. If I committed adultery it would have been a huge failing that devastated many lives. Justifying it by saying it wasn't a mistake is B.S. It would cost everyone dearly, me the least of course.

Now that I have a son, I can't imagine doing that to him. We are his world. Breaking it up and going with other people would just kill him. A part of him would die inside and it could never be reversed. Then future relationship would be awkward and problematic with mom being with SD and dad being with SM. This website is proof enough of that.

So, I agree. Call a spade a spade. We're all in need of forgiveness but let's not minimize the devastation adultery brings to so many lives.

dadsnewwife's picture

You are a very wise woman, StepAside and I agree with you completely. Cheating spouses put themselves entirely first and don't care about how it effects others. My ex cheated on me and I see how it's effected my adult daughters. They, to this day, don't believe he cheated because I'm sure he TOLD them so (I know better), but it doesn't matter to them. He convinced them that he was SO unhappy in our marriage and, since you only live once, you should end it and start over. Opposite of what I told my daughters...that I never would have divorced their father and kept our family together. I never would have put them through the pain of seeing their family destroyed due to my own unhappiness and spent the rest of their lives having to choose which parent to spend holidays with, etc...

I was raised "family first" and they know this, but agree with their father and not with me. My parents have remained committed to their family and marriage for 58 years and I commend them. They certainly have had their problems, but as my father told me during my divorce that HE wasn't always happy in their marriage, but he ALWAYS put us kids and our mother first and I know my mother did the same. And this is only ONE reason I will truly honor my father this Father's Day. He is a man of committment and has honored his vows his entire life (he is now 79) and put himself AFTER his family. It seems not many men today have those values. What a shame. I remember Bill O'Reilly talking once about the woes of our society today and one of the main reasons was (and I totally agree)was the destruction of the family. It's a shame noone believes in marriage and committment anymore and the kids are caught in the crossfire.

SugarSpice's picture

cheating spouses do put themselves first and dont think about how a divorce will hurt the children. that happened to bm. she cheated and married her lover while he left his wife. newsflash. 20 years later, he cheat on her! i dont understand how women can cheat with another womans husband and think it wont happen to them. the karma train is never off target.

sandye21's picture

It WAS a very interesting article. I will never fully understand the workings of the male mind and can not understand why they feel they can speak more easily to a coworker or family friend than they can to their wife. Years ago DH and I were on the verge of divorce. I had experiences with DH where I heard that he was crying on someone's shoulder how he was thinking of leaving the marriage, while he never said a word to me. To others he whined that I just didn't understand him but he failed to attempt communication with me, and refused to go to counseling.

It seems as though a man who cheats is STILL placing himself first before wife and family. It's still a no-win situation for the wife and children. It is just as much the husband's responsibility to maintain a level of communication with his wife as it is for the wife to be open and honest with him. So many times I've heard that many women expect their husbands to be a mind reader when in reality it seems the opposite is true.

Poodle's picture

Surely the clue to their bad relationship is not so much in the cheating (though as the child of a constantly cheating man I can certainly testify to the shame and humiliation they heap on their children) as in what happened next: "he turned vengeful toward me for having found out his affair. I was 14 years old, and a family therapist supported my decision as my father’s behavior was out of line. During the first few years he sent emails asking to see me. But whenever I saw him it ended in tears and disappointment, so I stopped replying to his emails entirely". Seemingly the way he reacted was nasty/destructive independent of the cheating, and, the OP was supported by a therapist who viewed his behavior as out of line. She was only 14 at that time and seems to have faced the full force of adult hostility in some way, in a situation where she was not to blame. I suspect that's what caused her to cut off from him, not the infidelity per se, although the story is not really that clear. And there's no mention of any type of feeling toward a SM in any of this so this OP was not even attacking the woman the guy was unfaithful with. I'd say this does not have much to do with our experiences as step-parents, personally. And before anyone accuses me of siding with my mom when feeling humiliated by my father's infidelities, no, she was not fazed by them. But we children were utterly crushed by having to watch him drool after every female who passed by on the street. Left me with nothing but contempt for him.

jennaspace's picture

Even if your mom had been hurt and you stood by her, I get that too. It seems people think it's fine to judge a daughter that stands by her mom but not judge the dad who cheated on mom. Hypocritical IMO.

Mom made a vow likely in her youth trusting her husband to keep his. She can't go back in time and find a good partner because he lied. He caused mom loads of pain. In my mind betraying one's mom (or dad if he's innocent) is a pretty good reason to be angry despite the spirit of the age that says "if it didn't happen to me, it's all good."

Poodle's picture

Hey I don't think the reaction that some of us have been describing is spite or resentment. It just is as it is for us. I personally was merely reminiscing about how revolting it was as a young child to watch and listen to my father's constant expressions of lust toward women -- including some of my friends. This guy was so bad that he even, when visiting my older brother who had had a road accident and was in a seriously ill state in hospital, propositioned my brother's wife at his bedside. Fortunately however it did not cause me to have a spiteful attitude to my father -- I simply despised him and kept my own moral values intact. I have never dwelt on my memories of him nor have they shaped my life for the 30 years I haven't seen him; but had he made an approach in recent times, I would have visited just out of curiosity. He died a couple weeks ago; his current wife told one of my brothers to pass the news to the rest of us: none of us feels bitterness or spite toward her, in fact we are quite pitying of her when we think about either of them at all.

Rags's picture

Since there is no other information to go on I believe the conclusion has to be that this young woman was extremely intelligent and observant at 14 and caught her daddy with his pecker in the crotch a woman not his wife/her mother.

With the available information I have to conclude that daddy is an adulterous asshole who must be approached with caution.

I agree with the guidance Prudence gave to this accomplished and seemingly well adjusted young woman. Go to dinner with daddy, be cautious and keep discussion to catching up and not shredding or forgiveness. If the first meeting goes well, keep the positive direction going to see what comes of it.

IMHO of course.

Rags's picture

SA,

My bride and I will celebrate our 20th next month. My mom and dad had their 52nd last week, my brother and SIL had their 20th 6mos ago. My ILs will have their 39th this year.

I had a previous marriage and my XW was the sperm depository for countless men during our marriage and continues to be more than 24 years after our divorce. That betrayal took me 4+ years to recover from. Fortunately I did not spawn with my XW so I was able to leave her far in my rear view mirror.

Cheating is about a characterless morally bankrupt person of no character (maybe 2 depending on if the mistress/boy toy is aware of the marriage) and not about a mistake.

I agree with your stance on this topic. Entirely.

Best regards,

ChiefGrownup's picture

Holy smokes. I thought this thread died out days ago with only 7 or 8 posts or so.

Ok. Let's get the name of this man from the original Prudie letter and stone him to death. That's clearly the only proper thing to do.

Ooooooor, I could be less snarky and just say if anyone got the impression I advocate, condone, promote, relish, and commit adultery I am quite sorry. I should have put a disclaimer at the top of the letter stating that adultery is serious and hurtful and wrong. Somehow I thought all those qualities were understood and went without saying. Mea culpa. Adultery is bad. I hope that is very clear.

But I felt there were ticking time bombs in the girl's letter that needed to be addressed. Her perceptions of her dad's behavior at the age of 14 are seriously suspect. I'm talking about the statements that characterize her dad as "vengeful" and "out of line."

Y'all should hear the wretched things my SD14 is currently saying to everyone, including her therapist, about her father who happens to be the most honorable, committed, responsible, gentle, honest, patient, and loving a man as anyone could ever hope to find.

SD14 has completely adopted her mother's version of their divorce. The fact that BM shouldn't be using her teen kid as a confidante I won't even address. BM has made up a complete fiction of their divorce and spoon feeds it to SD14, including that "Dad just left, I had no choice." BM never admits she was planning to divorce him first. She lets the girl think it's all Dad's fault her standard of living has fallen. She fails to mention how the girl's father gave her a perfectly nice house, the family home, and paid tons in CS plus extras and lots of other financial benefits while he walked away with all the family debt. BM never mentions to SD14 how she got rid of that house then failed to pay the mortgage on the next one (even though the CS alone would cover the mortgage payment, not to mention the windfall she got from selling the house he gave her).

I won't go into more of the ridiculous details. But SD14 is into loathing her father right now. My honorable DH refuses to talk about adult and private things with his daughter and I support him in that. So she won't be hearing his complaints against her mother. So she hears her mother's fictions and spin doctoring and it makes her say hateful things to her dad.

BTW, they divorced in 2007 and I didn't meet him until 2011. And I was unmarried at that time. (Annoying to have to include that but I guess I should learn my lesson about leaving things unsaid here.)

For those of you who have any interest in trying to understand how some of us can have a more nuanced view of adultery, try the movie "FROM THE TERRACE," with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. Then tell me if you think Paul Newman should be stoned to death.

I just think the girl from the letter has bigger things to worry about than her dad's bad decisions (is that a less incendiary term than 'mistake,'I hope?) in her childhood. I find the mother's emotional vampirism much more troubling.

She said her dad is a "good person." This makes me feel there may be much more to the story than what she perceived at the time. That their previous attempts at reconciling ended in tears may be because the girl demanded ludicrous concessions from her dad that he couldn't give in to. (Just as my SD14 is doing now) Of course that hurt her and made her cry. It is not proof that her dad is a louse, though.

Lastly, maybe her dad IS a louse. Somehow I suspect that this otherwise plucky and independent girl wouldn't need Prudie's permission to cut him off if she was sure of it. I think she is getting to an age where she is just beginning to shift her perspective to a more adult one and is feeling doubts, perhaps very faint ones, that things just possibly may not be what they seem.

So now I've written War and Peace here. I hope it was worth it. I hope it makes clear what I was thinking when I wrote the Dear Little Girl letter and that I wasn't trying to steal anyone's man or inflict sexual mayhem on marriages far and wide.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

ChiefGrownUp, your War and Peace was certainly worth writing and a pleasure to read. You have the deep, impressive understanding of people Tolstoy does, and a great flair for language. You also bring compassion along with enviable insights to the table. Thank you for taking the time, and don't take the Pitchfork Brigade too seriously: they are happy to organize ritual stonings weekly. Do not let them scare you off.

I admire your sympathetic attitude to your SD. My DH is of the same persuasion and for years avoided counter-acting BM's lies... it did not serve him well at all. Prorgam or be programmed. My older skids are about a decade older than yours but there is nary a doubt on their horizons: mom is the cult leader, goose step after her.

I would be curious to watch From the Terrace.

Modernworld1011's picture

Beautifully said! You will love "All That Heaven Allows" old Rock Hudson film about the selfishness of kids when it comes to their parents moving on and finding happiness.

My story is so similar. Husband wears the black hat, unjustifiably. Ex changed the facts and realities of her own behavior to play the martyr. She got the house and all the assets, and yep, she lost them all too. One kid buys the victim tale, and she indulges his every whim, but the other one who sees what really happened and discusses it is disfavored.

Mine will speak no evil either even to stand up for himself. I bite my tongue as it is his decision.

Time will tell if they see anything other than what they wish. You must be very patient and kind. He is most fortunate!

Modernworld1011's picture

This was about the adults, not the daughters. Her mother is entitled to feel this way. He betrayed his wife, not his daughters. I wonder does the ex wife still feel this way? Why wouldn't any parent want their kids to forgive and move on???? I was in this place once and I encouraged those who were inclined to form alliances that the matter concerned the two people who's contract of fidelity was broken. I get that his kids lives were changed, but enough, move on... To hat that long is to punish yourself as well.

Rags's picture

I disagree that it is only the spouse that is betrayed by adultery. Adultery betrays the children too. It also betrays the parents of the adulterer and the siblings of the adulterer.

Forgiveness while certainly a desirable goal can only be earned IMHO. If daddy has not earned forgiveness by his behavior then there can be no forgiveness.

IMHO of course.

Anon2009's picture

I agree, Rags. Cheating isn't showing your kids how to have (and keep) a healthy relationship.

It is showing kids that it's ok to take the coward's way out.