You are here

Christmas snub to punish Daddy for being a normal parent

Freshstart's picture

DH has been doing an awesome job recently of changing his enabling ways. As a result SD17 (nearly 18) has made some steady, hard fought but positive improvements on her path to independence.

Underneath I suspect she is seething with anger but on the surface she goes along with driving lessons, doing tasks in the house (recently reinforced because she wasn't doing them), catching public transport and doing one shift a week part time work whilst studying. She has also started seeking out a little bit of a social life which was a big issue before - just sat around the house all holidays.

2 months back DH was encouraging her to pursue lining up plans to travel with friends. She said casually "Oh instead of that Mum and I are going to Thailand in the holidays." We said, "That's great, just let us know when."

Last weekend DH talked about his very ill father and mother and we said we will make a priority of letting them know we will visit again around Christmas this year. SD17 said "Oh yeah, I can't, Mum and I are travelling from the 20th to 29th December."

DH works hard and is very generous to all his family. The one thing he loves is Christmas and other family gatherings. I know and I believe BM and SD know how important that is to him. As a side issue my 5 year old son also thinks his teenage step is great so he will be disappointed as well. We will probably organise to see her grandparents 2 weeks prior to Christmas so they can see her. That takes some of the fun out of it for them too.

So your advice please.

Do I mention it to him?
Do I ask him how he feels about it?
Should I share that I am disappointed on his behalf?

When SD17 has pulled these stunts in the past, she has been successful in getting things she wants. She elevates herself by creating drama. The cycle is, punish daddy, receive money and attention. I would hate to see him do this again in this circumstance. I really want him to respect himself and our family and just acknowledge that this is a hurtful and at best thoughtless thing to do.

oneoffour's picture

I would let things land where they may. But discuss it mindfully with him. Let him know as sad as he may be that she isn't to find out how hurt he is. Playing the guilt game lowers him to BMs level.

He should say "Well, that is news to me. Have a nice trip. But we will be visiting your grandparents before you fly out of the country. We will celebrate Christmas when you get back."

He should not reward her with an early Christmas and really I have found it is just one day. The important thing is to see her ailing grandparents as often as possible. Your son will get over it. If the worst thing to happen this year is he has his parents all to himself on Christmas Day and the world revolves around him then it is all good.

This will free you up for your DH and yourself to do whatever you want as a family. After all in a few years she will be living away from home more often.

I get the Christmas Spirit in your DH. I really do. BM here would pull stunts to get the boys early Christmas morning or deliver them late Christmas Eve. She just didn't care the DH is the living incarnate of Clark Griswold. So we created our own memories and traditions. Get to see a new movie, see a Christmas show, travel around looking at Christmas lights (your son will love it) visit a live nativity. And let Miss Oh So 17 see that life WILL carry on without her and the only person she is harming is herself.

And just maybe she is at the mercy of her mother's schedule.

Freshstart's picture

Forgot to say that DH's initial come back was quite funny "Oh good I can save money on your Christmas present."

So just wait for him to raise it, if he does at all? I like the advice of letting the Christmas spirit come alive in other ways and just supporting him to not take on board the drama.

Otherwise move forward with some happy Christmas plans.

Flipchip2013's picture

It sounds like her trip with her mother has been planned for quite some time...you say "two months ago" she mentioned this trip.

It's ok if your DH likes Christmas best. But...you wanted the kid to travel, now she's traveling.

I wouldn't say anything.

Freshstart's picture

We went to the counsellor last night and she thinks that SD17 is likely to be at the mercy of her mother's schedule so good feedback oneoffour. You know what I don't get that?

My parents were hugely disciplinarian and dominating but at 17 nearly 18 I knew how to question things and make my own decisions.

Can anyone shed more light on this?

Why does DH say nothing at all about it until we are at the counsellor? He then says "It would be all BM's idea." So I said "Well ok lets just go with the idea that a 17 year old cannot think for herself. Why not more openness? What about 2 months ago saying hey Mum has booked for us to go overseas."

Freshstart's picture

You know, this is another thing I love about this site, people use their experience and sometimes tell you to "Snap out of it." So thankyou everyone, that is what I am doing. I am looking forward to a plan for Christmas that is hassle free, spoils my 5 year old a little and makes sure elderly sick grandparents get some attention.

Really excited about options. We could go to the beach for example. Nothing holding back our plans at all now!