You are here

Challenges with connections - both bio and skid

2Tired4Drama's picture

I was talking to a coworker recently. He and his wife have two bio kids. He is now retiring and he and his wife bought a retirement home in a place nowhere near their kids. Seems that BD and her mother have never gotten along and relationship has always been rocky. When they get together (rarely) it is civil but very strained.

Their BS is married to a woman who does not care for either my cowoworker or his wife, so they wind up with limited in exposure to their 2 gkids and thus, they don't see much of their BS, either.

I thought about this when considering the fact that many SMs have bad or non-existent relationships with skids. I think sometimes we forget that estrangement and other issues crop up with bio adult kids, too.

My own SO is dealing with the fact he rarely hears from his kids now they are "adults." A lot of it is the fact that they are off doing their own thing, which is normal. But I do think that no one can predict what kind of relationship (if any) people will wind up having once kids are grown.

I know many on these boards would just LOVE for their skids to drop off the planet permanently - or others wish skids would include them more w/their families/gkids.

I guess the purpose of this post is just to say that biology isn't necessarily what binds people - love is.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Too true. My dad hasn't spoken with his younger brother (full siblings) in 10 years. They recently reconciled after being estranged. My grandparents from my dad's side lived on the other side of the world (and my grandmother was a psycho) so the contact was like a phone call a month. I didn't have much to do with them either.

Estrangement can happen to anyone, intact or nonintact families.

hismineandours's picture

Exactly. My dh does not speak to his parents or his siblings because they are bat shit crazy. It's a fairly new thing, but still-he grew up in an intact family.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Exactly! Divorce or no divorce. I think some people are just born selfish a$$holes but there are a host of others who are created that way - because they are taught that's acceptable behavior.

I know people who grew up in the most deplorable abusive conditions, yet they are the nicest, most generous people you ever met. Truly self-less and kind. I guess they knew what it was like to be abused and mistreated, and vowed to never treat others that way. True examples of the "golden rule."

jumanji's picture

Yep. I deal with my brother solely because of my parents. We all live in the same town. He currently lives with them, but they are shortly moving in with me (long story). I avoid going there at this point, unless he's out. Once they are living here, he will be welcome, as long as he respects certain boundaries. When they pass (realistically, they are 82 & 83), I expect to have nothing further to do with him. My kids are free to make their own decisions in that regard. My daughter will likely have some sort of contact (she's his favorite), and my son will likely not (bro hates what #1 stands for).

It's sad. But that's life sometimes.