You are here

Cannot Stand Stepkids Anymore

JBird2001's picture

This is my first contribution to this forum. By outward appearances things may not look so bad, so I am confused and not sure if my perspective on my stepkids (and my girlfriend, their mom) is warranted.

My girlfriend of 8 years and I are not married but I am calling her two kids my stepkids. She is 21 and he is 23.

Stepson recently wrecked my car in an accident. He wasn’t hurt but the other driver had chest pains and went to urgent care. Both mine and the other drivers’ insurance company, as well as the police report concluded that stepson caused the accident, but I did not get an admission of guilt from him, not even an apology. I paid $500 to get the car out of the tow yard and demanded he pay it. His mother refused to let him pay it, but she gave me $400, missing the point entirely. He is 23 years old and needs to be an adult and held accountable. In typical fashion she refused to find fault with him and belittled me because I didn’t fight my insurance company on the ruling!! I reviewed the police report evidence myself and there is no doubt he caused it. I pointed out that she doesn’t understand insurance companies since the last thing they want to do is make a payout. My premiums went up as a result, but I dropped him and everyone else from my policy, so it worked out.

Now he is driving a RAV 4, and I’m not sure if she bought it for him or what, but in my opinion he should’ve been riding the bus. Since high school he’s earned close to $10,000 a year for the past 4 years, but is always broke? He should have saved up his money for a new car since he doesn’t pay rent and doesn’t pay any bills. He’s been taking one or two classes a semester at a local community college but last I heard his GPA was below 2.0 (after 4 years?!) and could not qualify for financial aid (FAFSA). His mother made excuses for him, of course.

Stepdaughter was always problematic and narcissistic; always having some self-induced crisis or drama, never listening to us, never exercised good judgment and did not possess good sense, causing a drain in our time and energy. I was happy when she turned 18 and went off to college, about 3 hours away and the only college that accepted her. I was hoping this would at least smarten her up and give her the opportunity to learn basic life skills and become independent. I could not have been more wrong about her. She got pregnant her first semester, finished out the year and came home. And not by some nice college boy who at least had goals and direction to the future. No, it was some college dropout guy in his early 20’s who worked at the same fast food restaurant and lived with his mommy. After all is said and done, it all made sense since that’s the kind of guy she attracts.

The boyfriend ended up living with us in my home, even though I opposed it (my girlfriend allowed it without my knowledge or consent, even though I paid the rent and all the bills). I let him stay assuming he would save up his money to put down for their own place to raise their baby together.

They wanted me to move us to a one-story house to make it safer to raise their baby daughter, and that was perhaps my biggest mistake. I loved our house and hated the one we eventually moved to. But I did it because I felt I needed us to “be a family”. That didn’t last long; the guy decided he was leaving the stepdaughter and baby and moving back to his mommy’s house, a week before Christmas and we had not even finished unpacking.

The stepdaughter ended up leaving a couple months afterwards with their baby to live with him in his mother’s house. This might’ve been their plan all along, who knows, but I moved out of the house I loved for nothing. The stepson used to mostly crash at his cousins' house and stayed home when his sister was here. But after she left I didn’t see him much anymore.

So, I moved us, again, this time to a smaller and more affordable 2-bedroom apt. Sold a lot of stuff, including her bed and dresser ( at her request, even though I told her and her boyfriend to come get it). As far as I was concerned her moving out was permanent.

Few months later she called saying she was dropping out of college and moving back, for unclear reasons and using inconsistent logic. I told her no, the boyfriend is legally required to provide for his daughter and she’s going to have to work it out. But she dropped out of college anyway after first week of classes and came back anyway, against my wishes. Drama began with her and her baby daughter living in our small apartment. Meanwhile, the guy is having the time of his life upgrading his car, buying new fishing equipment, and not having to provide for his daughter.

After a few months she moved BACK up to his house. That lasted all of 2 months, then she said she’s moving back down with us, AGAIN. I said no, absolutely no. You cannot keep changing your mind and expecting us to rearrange our lives around your every whim.

Around this time her mother was staying at an undisclosed location because her daughter drove a rift between us and she had “moved out”. Apparently she rented a room at someone else’s place, but never told me the address and acted nervous and evasive when I dared to ask! So I told her, your daughter is moving in with you, wherever that is.

Sometime after that my girlfriend moved back in with me against my wishes. Apparently the leaseholder at her other place lost her job and was moving out. I told her it wasn’t OK but she did it anyway because I suffer from “Nice Guy Syndrome”, or so I’m told. After that it was never the same; we were essentially roommates but I was always paying the rent and all the bills. Her kids didn’t move back to our small apartment with her; I’m not sure where they are staying but at this point I didn’t care anymore.

(I should mention that my girlfriend was cheating on me around the same time her daughter got pregnant, even though she continues to deny it and outright lie about it. Of course this helped contribute to this problem overall. However, that’s another story. This forum is about her stepkids Smile )

Now the stepdaughter is pregnant again. She had an IUD implanted sometime after her daughter was born, but must’ve had it removed since then. She wasn’t “planning on getting pregnant”, even though she had her IUD removed and had unprotected sex with her boyfriend of a couple of months without using birth control. Wasn’t “planning" on it!?! She is unstable and majorly dysfunctional. She plays the victim well, but everything that ever happened to her happened as a result of adult decisions she made under conditions that were always within her control, and always against good advice and good judgment. Maybe her mother shouldn’t let her control her and tell her enough is enough. You made your bed, now you have to lie in it. Reap what you sow, whatever applies! But of course I am wrong and the “bad guy” because I am unsupportive. The stepdaughter is manipulative and always needed more attention than anyone was ever able to give her. She doesn't even come around me. She knows better. She knows I see right through her lies and fake act of being so sweet and innocent.

Recently I moved out. I already disconnected the cable and internet (something they can’t live without). I can’t help feeling a tremendous sense of failure. There is no excuse for her kids’ behavior. I provided a beautiful home with their own rooms, free cable TV and internet, I drove them to school, paid for their driving lessons, and they graduated from high school on time. I bought her a car when she went to college. But any effort I made to provide guidance or any fatherly advice or even to get close to them went unheeded. I got them when they were already starting high school, so maybe it was too late for me. She raised them with another guy, a previous boyfriend who they called “Dad” but tried to keep that from me, for some reason. (they called me by my name).

I would appreciate your perspective on this. Thanks for listening!

Stepped in what momma's picture

Well overall it sounds like you invested a lot of time and money in this family for no reason and really the only person you can be mad at is yourself. I would never put myself or my future in this type of situation for a "girlfriend". Kids that already have a dad don't need new dads and especially once they are in high school. Moving out was the best move you could have done and the best gift you could have ever given to yourself. It sounds like you walked in to a "fixer upper" family, did the fixing up all by yourself, went to sell the joint and found out you have no ownership of the home.

You're correct, there is no excuse for the kids behavior but most importantly there is no excuse for your girlfriend behavior, after all she is the one that you were in a relationship with and who also allowed her kids to walk all over you but you can't forget you were actively involved in letting the walking on happen.

My advice is to never date someone else with kids, I know that if things don't work out with my SO this will be the first and last of dating a man with kids for me.

clark6292's picture

Love isn't enough to make a marriage/relationship work long term. I had to learn that the hard way as well. It takes love, trust, respect, money, health, similar values, and compromise. From what you describe, you didn't have trust, enough money (for all their problems), mental health from SD SS and SO, or share values or compromise. The holidays may be rough for you but you are not alone. Many, like you, put their foot down and say "I can't do this anymore." The best thing you did is disengage and now you can begin healing and taking better care of yourself. Be extra kind to yourself and honor promises to yourself. I'm sorry they never gave you the respect you deserve. I hate to say it, but they used you...join the club. Now it is time for YOU! Do NOT get sucked back in! Blessings to you

courtnado's picture

"She plays the victim well, but everything that ever happened to her happened as a result of adult decisions she made under conditions that were always within her control, and always against good advice and good judgment."

Sound familiar? Because I actually was thinking the same about you while reading your post. I don't mean to be harsh but the whole Nice Guy Syndrome doesn't hold much weight. After all, very few of us act out of pure altruism and in your case, being a doormat only served to enable your SD and to some extent your girlfriend. A big part of parenting is teaching boundaries, and how are you helping anyone if you call a boundary and never enforce it? What are you teaching her?

I'm thinking that more than being a nice guy, you are a guy who was afraid to be alone and didn't have enough self esteem to enforce your boundaries.
Here's the thing, I've been there and done that and got the t-shirt. But I never did anything against my wishes. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say you did these things against your better judgement.

I can only say this to you because I can relate. And what I know is that, I will not seek out another mate or be sought out until I have learned to respect and value myself.

Stepdrama11's picture

Agree with this. You did not cause it, and you cannot cure it.

I'm a bit surprised at the nature of some of the responses to your post. The problem is not you. Your choice was to continue on with your feet mired in the cesspool of dysfunction (as many of us on this site have chosen to do), or get out. If your partner will not have your back at all, the choice becomes easier. If your partner kinda sorta sometimes seems to have your back, it's a bit more confusing.

Disengagement with SKs will only get you so far out of the muck, because the real determinant of success is your partner. It takes two to make a relationship. When one of that couple continues to enable and tolerate bad behavior from their own kid(s), behavior that targets the partner, life becomes difficult. And as you've seen from the posts on this forum, it gets worse as the kids age, not better. And the SGKs become little manipulation tools, sadly.

yolo222's picture

Your gf enables her child. She won't change. U will never be a priority. U can accept it or leave her. Sounds like u have some thinking to do. It also sounds like your gf will never tell her child no!

enuf's picture

Hey my dh divorced me because of his enmeshed relationship with his 47 ds who now has moved into my old bedroom and is my ex's mini-wife. I am available!!! Just putting it out there.

Because of my experience with my ex was I have learned to be very patient, keep my mouth shut, nod a lot, let you speak for hours as I sit there googled-eyed at your wisdom. I have learned to be very frugal, as my ex is a millionaire, but even though I bought my clothes at the thrift store, lest he complain about how much my clothes cost. He also was very good at buying day old meats, breads and vegetables since he took over the shopping as he thought I spent to much money on fresh fruits and vegetables and I actually bought fresh meat when I shopped. I have been trained to only have 2 cocktails irregardless of the event or how long it is. An all day event, I just have 2 cocktails, an hour event I just have two cocktails.

I am also very good at letting you have a lot of man time to hang out with buddies, as my ss called every day all day long and insisted on seeing and spending time with his father around 4-5 times a week. I spent a lot of time at the movies by myself from the boredom of having to be by myself a lot. Many times I wanted to go on overnight trips but his ds needed constant communication with him then.

Also, if we decide to be intimate and you get a call and feel like chatting in the middle of it. I have been trained not to complain and let come back to bed to finish.

I am a great catch!!!

Acratopotes's picture

sounds like you are rid of these leaches..... don;t take the GF back, never again.... see the money spend on them as school fees paid, you learned your lesson and you know GF will never leave her brats, so never take GF back, let her find another sucker to leach on to..... you are done... stop living in the past, go head on for the future..

and when you ever meet another lady, stay in your own place, do not move in together, especially if she has children, wait for a year or two to make sure you are on the same page, and never again fall for a skid calling you Dad only to get to your wallet... from here on forward, you only pay your responsibilities, regardless if in a relationship or not, and you take the new GF out on dates... but you never pay for anything she might need or bail her out with bills...

JBird2001's picture

Thank you everyone, the responses I received from you are refreshing and eye-opening. I never considered myself a doormat, and still don’t, but I believed my actions were a noble effort to keep a family together, such as it is, despite it being the polar opposite of my idea of a family, and being unrealistically optimistic that things will get better, when they have in fact been getting worse. Yes, no action is truly altruistic but I lost sight of what I was getting out of this relationship. Maybe the semblance of normality? Blinders on? Maybe not wanting to start over again. Despite all the bad things I’ve shared, the day-to-day home life has been a bearable and comfortable routine and I was perhaps stuck on that. Living in my own place now and rebuilding a home life from nothing, I’m enjoying the quiet and realizing how at peace I am with myself and my life in general.

JBird2001's picture

Thanks for the great advice! I have to admit I'm a repeat offender; caught up in the same pattern. Three prior relationships all with single moms. They just seemed more grounded; easier to develop a relationship, but difficult to keep it going. As some of the others suggested, re-think dating single moms ever again. In my experience it just became excessive baggage, although I never wanted to think of it that way. Each time I think it's going to be different, but it never has been !

enuf's picture

Good for you. Single mom's put the fear in you, but not all of them are the same. I for one will never date a man who has adult children. Never, ever, again, especially if all he talks is about them and will stop what ever is going on to chat with them. You need to stop trying to be the white knight. You see we have all been trained, at least most of us has, to woo, seduce and bend over backwards for a white knight. Look at the stories of cinderella, sleeping beauty, it is in our DNA, we are conditioned as soon as we learn to read. But really it is a pain in the ass for the white knight, and for the damsel in distress to pretend that she needs rescuing, that gets really old. Look for the woman who needs no rescuing, look for kindness, and look for comfort. Stop rushing in to rescue, it is a no win scenario all the way around. Good luck to you and learn to be okay all by yourself.