You are here

Bridezilla SD22

NOT Mother of the Bridezilla's picture

I guess I just need to get this off my chest. I am trying so hard to hold my tongue at home, but I'm afraid that I'm about to open my mouth and exactly what I'm thinking is going to come flying out.

SD22 is getting married in October. DH is giving her $5K for the ceremony and her mother is purchasing the wedding gown. Neither DH or BM are rolling in money, and they are both very well aware that this is not a big budget for a wedding, but even this amount is stressful to their budgets. They have given SD full reign over how the money will be spent, and $2500 of the $5K that hubby has allocated has already been spent on the venue alone.

Meanwhile, SD has visions of a wedding that will make Prince William and Kate Middleton's look shabby. She's sending out 200 invitations, plans a huge reception with a catered dinner or buffet, wants a giant tiered cake, a candy bar, and of course she wants the best photographer in the area. She hasn't even priced any of this yet. I'm sure that trying to achieve a balance between what she wants and what she can afford is stressful, especially, since she's already spent half the budget on the venue.

So, last night BM calls DH. She's crying because Bridezilla is being mean to her, and wants DH to call his daughter and straighten her out. DH does a little probing with BM and finds out the truth (as much as he can discern because BM and SD are both big fat liars) is that SD wanted to go dress shopping today, and BM is still in the process of saving money for the beloved frock and can't spend that kind of money at this moment. SD has told BM that she doesn't want her at the wedding and refuses to speak to her because she can't get what she wants when she wants it RIGHT NOW! DH calls SD and tells her, "You can't speak to your mother that way. She's doing the best she can. So what if you can't get the dress right now? You've still got 10 months to work that out." Now, I can hear her screaming over the phone from across the room. "You don't care about me. All you care about is yourself and that DEMON you're married to. If it had been up to you and mother, I would've never had anything. (UHHH...this child has never wanted for much of anything.) I wish you were standing in front of me right now so I could BEAT YOUR ASS!" She hung up on him, but called right back to rant some more. DH finally told her she was acting like a child and that she was 22 going on 12. Then, he hung up on her and didn't answer the phone when she called back.

I think that both DH and BM have just been asking for trouble by allowing her free reign of the wedding budget. She's extremely financially irresponsible and it usually winds up costing DH in the long run. I know that they both want their child to have her fairy tale wedding, but neither one of them are willing to acknowledge that she is only interested in a wedding and really has no desire to be in a committed marriage with this poor kid that she is marrying. This is going to be a very short lived marriage as far as I can tell. I'll honestly be surprised if they even make it to the wedding day.

Thanks so much for being a listening ear. I feel better already.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

"...what amounts to a party with girls in matching dresses."

Holey old socks, Fruity, I just SNAUGHLED very loudly!! Biggrin

sammigirl's picture

LOL...How many Fathers out there would love to hear, "Well, if I can't have what I want, we just won't do this at all!"

I call that a total "brain storm". My niece just got married last summer; my Nephew (Dad) gave her $5K and that was it. He only wished he had heard this statement. She had the most simple, beautiful wedding, not to mention relaxing, that I have ever attended. The $5K included her dress, Church, reception, bridesmaids, and all the trimmings. The bridesmaids dress were rented and beautiful. All the decorations at the Church and reception were made by family, the bridesmaids, and friends. It was very nice.

There are ways to have a nice wedding, without breaking the bank; it takes organization and planning.

Oh,sanecatlady,I seriously doubt that you are wrong. The boy is not really a bad kid. If they do make it to the wedding it will be because he's such an easy going pushover where SD is concerned, but even the little mild mannered guys have their breaking point.

Thank you for the very good advice, Dancing. I'm not going to let myself get dragged into this in any way. And, fruitsalad, you hit the nail right on the head. She's more interested in the party than being married.

Thumper's picture

OMG I am sooooooooooo sorry.

The Bride to be should be far more humble than she is. Frankly I would write a check for the money I promised her. She would not hear from me again.

I would NOT care if I received an invitation to attend that circus or not.

That is just awful of her.

Good questions, keepitsimplestupid. This is bound to be an interesting few months. SD currently has an apartment and DH pays the majority of the rent while she works part time and goes to college. (Last semester she took 4 classes. 2 - C's and 2 - F's were her final grades.) I doubt that she'll go back when her memorial scholarship is revoked due to an insufficient GPA. However, when they get married, they are planning on moving into his grandmother's home, who he lives with now, so that they can save money for a downpayment on a house. SD is abusive and clashes with everyone who has ever spent more than a few minutes with her. I can't wait until she and granny have their first battle. LOL

As for BM calling DH, she calls him anytime there is a problem with SD. She calls him when she loses her job. She calls him when someone insults her at Walmart. (<--- TRUE STORY) She calls him when she needs work done around her house. She calls him when her current husband cheats on her. She calls ALL THE TIME. I used to get bothered by it, but now, I realize that he hates her calling and actually despises her all the way around but has a guilt complex because he got her pregnant.

sammigirl's picture

What?????

When did he get her pregnant? 22 years ago?

Your DH needs to wash his hands of the past and make a future for you and himself.

I can't believe he feels guilty for his past.

I don't live in the past, OMGosh!

I know. SMH I guarantee DH wasn't in the bed all by himself when that baby got made, and they were both consenting adults. DH isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's been brainwashed to believe that it was all his fault.

sammigirl's picture

Just pop some corn, order a big gulp, and watch the show. Your SD has a good deal to learn about life and something tells me she has a rough learning experience ahead of her.

I love it when KARMA visits and you are about to witness several visits.

Stay cool, stay out of it, and take the high road. You can listen to DH's problems, but never get involved where his DD is concerned. I've never involved myself with my grown SD and low and behold, she digs herself a deep hole, every time she opens her big mouth. It's called "melt downs"; your SD just had one on the phone. She is a spoiled brat.

Hope you DH sticks to his budget. BM's budget is her problem and I hope your DH doesn't make it his problem. Big weddings are a big waste of $$$$$; with that said, I understand how much fun they are too.

ldvilen's picture

Hmm, "You don't care about me. All you care about is yourself and that DEMON you're married to!" And, pray tell, where are you going to wind up sitting at the wedding!?

Ah, these millennials. They truly are not adults until they are 30. I actually went through step-hell with my SD two years ago, and then two weeks later, went thru another but similar kind of hell with my niece's wedding. Pretty much the same thing with my niece as you described above. Niece was a bridezilla beyond belief and wanted everything and yet had zero idea of how much everything cost. I got involved with my niece's wedding because I stupidly volunteered to help out. Yep. Prior to 2014 I loved weddings; now I hate them.

Best advice: Both ma and pa should give bridezilla whatever money they stated they would give her, and let her plan the entire event, then back away. Just say, "Here you go dear. It is your special day, go to town with the $5,000. We'll look for the invites. We'll make you happy and keep out of it." It's a win-win. Bridezilla gets a reality check, and ma and pa (and SM) get to keep their sanity.

LOL...caught that did you? Yep, anytime she speaks to her father about me, I am always "that DEMON". I guess she doesn't think I can hear her screaming it through the phone when DH is halfway across the house, but it comes through loud and clear. I will actually be surprised if she even has the forethought to send her father an invitation. She just EXPECTS him to be there. Poor DH believes that I will be attending this blessed affair, but I don't stand a chance of pulling off the Sofia Vergara look, and will probably schedule an emergency shopping trip on the day of the wedding. I haven't really thought about how to break the news to DH yet, but the "DEMON" really doesn't have any interest in going. Besides, if SD is there, there will already be one DEMON too many in attendance.

notasm3's picture

SS30 and GF26 have been together about 2 years and have a one year old baby. They can't get married because they can't afford it. (sarcasm font)

No what they can't afford is a big costume party. No way DH or I would ever give them even $5 for a wedding. I doubt that BM (cheap as hell) would either. GF's mother probably would go bankrupt to make sure her baby darling girl got what she wanted.

So not my problem.

I am terrified, StepAside, that you may have just had a Nostradamas-like vision of the future!