You are here

Birthdays

vistajpdf's picture

Hi again,

My adult DS told my 7 y.o. she would take him to a toy store for his b-day present. His b-day was a month ago. He reminded her at least twice, but she was going shopping w/ a friend once, and to the beach on another occasion.

Anyway, I told him not to ask again and he obeyed. However, the other day, she told my youngest, 3 today, "Thurs. is your b-day! I'm going to take you to Toys 'R Us so you pick out a present!" My oldest looked on. Anyway, she didn't, and I was happy that she didn't show w/ a gift tonight as my oldest would have been crushed.

This is the SD that won't move out and that I had the friction with a month ago. DH is stalling in talking to her about a 'plan' and I'm losing patience, esp. when she's been here 5.5 months, hasn't paid a bill or offered a cent our way, and now hasn't been able to even buy a little toy for her brothers' birthdays as promised.

I was really relieved that she didn't come up w/ a gift for the baby. (She treats the oldest worse than the other two so I didn't want another slight to him.) Our middle son will turn 5 next month and if I hear this promise of a toy store shopping spree, I'm going to faint. I'd love to say, "Please don't promise the boys anything like that unless you intend to go through w/ it. If you cannot, and I know you're saving $ for your own place, then just let it go. They don't expect anything until you mention that you want to take them shopping, then they're disappointed when it doesn't happen..." but I'm too unassertive.

We have been getting along fairly well since the argument as she has been more diligent w/ her laundry. But, it hurts to see your kids disappointed and at this age, they are.

Any advice on either getting DH to speak w/ her about getting a place by July 31 or about this b-day issue should she come up w/ the same junk for the middle son?

Thanks.

mom-like's picture

You should say to her exactly what you typed, "I know you're saving up for your own place, but please don't promise the kids something since they get very disappointed." If you do it with compassion and no emotion she should understand what pain her actions are causing the kids.

As for the DH question..I have varying degrees of success when trying to get DH to do anything. In my situation, a lot of hand-holding helps (again non-emotional). Say, 'how about I take the kids to (whereever) this saturday so you can have a talk with SD'. Maybe even coach him on a sample 'script' if he just doesn't know what to say to her. Good luck.