You are here

Bf's daughter ignores my attempt at starting over

soccermom830's picture

Okay so I recently messaged my boyfriend's 22 year old daughter apologizing for whatever I've done to upset her (nothing) and extended an Olive Branch trying to make things better anyway. She completely ignored me. she sent it to her father right away and mentioned I spelled her name wrong. He said it was a nice gesture for me and that she should think about responding.  

Two weeks have passed and now I'm pissed off at him for not being upset with her for being so disrespectful and dismissive once again.  Who does that?  He said she's not 8 years old anymore and there's nothing he can do.  He also said she was being respectful by not saying anything at all instead of being rude.  What??  Am I crazy for being upset that he doesn't acknowledge it to her or get upset with her about that?

Aniki-Moderator's picture

You made the effort and it WAS a nice gesture. IMHO, her lack of response says she is not interested.

SD is a 22yo adult and he cannot make her do/say anything. Even if she's in the wrong or being immature (name spelling oops).

She's not worth getting upset. You don't have to spend time with her. Yay! Consider that a bonus. If your bf mentions her, reply with things like "mmhmm" or "that's nice" and immediately change the subject .

goodwitch's picture

1st thing never extend an olive branch again.  She is only upset with you because you have some of her precious Daddy's time and affection.  Both of which she doesn't wish to share.

2 you have 2 choices you can become like the rest of us unhappy step mothers and stay with him and know this will always be this way, he will never stand up and she will never be nice.  Or run.  Find a man with balls and no mini wife and be happier.  If you really love him then you can stay but then you have to do step 3.

3. disengage, do not ask about her, do not care, do not include her, do not invite, do not do his Christmas shopping for him, remind him of her birthday, pick-up a gift for that birthday, and on and on as we nice women do.  She is dead to you from this day forward, she is his child with another woman let them have a relationship with her and you have a relationship with him.  Don't do things with them and if she comes over I leave, go to the movies, read a book whatever to tune out Princess and her crap.  You have to develop strategies to not get caught in their dysfunction, it was there before you and is not about you.

Good Luck you are going to need it becasue you have a Disney Dad, with no balls, and a mini-wife.

chose wisely...if I had it to do over I'd just be single.

notasm3's picture

You win. You made an effort which she rejected. Now you never have to speak to her again. You can just pretend like she doesn’t exist.   Tell your BF to not even mention her name to you. 

fairyo's picture

You  will never win. I thought about having a heart to heart with my XOSD, but so glad I didn't. They will never see your side, and even if you do the right thing they will not see it that way- hence her finding an excuse to criticise you (getting that name wrong played right into her hands). Like many have said- you have to find ways of getting her out of your head and concentrating on your own life. In the end I left, it is always an option.

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

I  understand what it is like to have a horrible adult stepdaughter who does everything to antagonise you and cause trouble, who is constantly rude and disrespectful when you have done nothing  of the same sort to her - I get that part. Been there done that. So I understand that aspect.

What I dont understand is you trying to control the behaviour of others - 1) how SD must react, that she must accept a clean slate from you and 2) being mad at your DH because he wont get mad at SD on your behalf. This is not particularly rational or mature. 

It is a big step from you to put out the olive branch - that I admire and commend. Shows that you may be the bigger and better person here, hoping for some normalcy in family life. However, you dont get to demand that SD accept that or be prepared to do the same. She is her own person with her own reasons (legitimate or not) for ignoring you. If she doesnt want anything to do with you, respect that. Do the same and ignore her.

It is also unreasonable to expect your husband to dance to your tune on what you want. What did his daughter tell him? Must he be pulled into a conflict between you two and escalate it to make you happy? So that it satisfies your emotional need to get one up on SD? Uh..No this doesnt exactly square with putting out an olive branch when you have an intention to escalate things when they dont go your way.

You know, I understand the frustration and anger you feel. If you knew what my STBX-SD was like your hair would stand on end... But my SD and your SD IS NOT WORTH IT. Please dont let this get to you. It only causes you upset - and you can not win. It is a pointless battle. Let it go. Leave this girl alone and ignore her. Accept that she is not worth your time and energy and certainly not worth a fight with your husband.

She really isnt worth it! Focus on your marriage. Focus on your husband. Focus on you. Let her shenanigans float over you and dont care. She can not get to you if you dont care.

soccermom830's picture

it's hard to not care when you were engaged and looking at houses and then she moved back in with Daddy right afterwords because she couldn't live with her BF - and now she lives with her BF half the week and in daddy's house PT and daddy is staying with me and he is paying the mortgage for her to live there when she can't get along with her boyfriend.  i told him i'm not playing house with him so he can pay HER mortgage.  she causes alot of issues because she is still dependant on daddy.  that is my concern.

CANYOUHELP's picture

As much as it stings, over and over again; this selfish woman just did YOU a huge favor. Now, the relationship can be fully over and you tried your best, even when it was not deserving in the first place.  You have no guilt to feel now regardless of whom tries to direct their family dysfunction at you. Ignore her, have nothing to do with her, and do not ever mention her or talk about her again.  The longer you do it, the easier it gets (though never perfect), if you can protect yourself from the sickness, you can be happy again.

If you are not married or invested a lot of time in this relationship, look again at goodwitch's #2.....many of us wish we had picked up on the red flags years before they came to light. At least the ugly signals are coming in to you now-- before marriage.

dysfunctionally_blended's picture

You did it! What a great position to be in!

Your olive branch not only showed exactly who your SD is as a person but by her forwarding it on to Daddy, showed him as well. 

You are free! 

No more SD. You can fully disengage. You are dads wife only. That is HIS daughter and she wants nothing to do with you. No more fake smiles, shared events, visits or contact. And that is HER choice. 

Honestly I would LOVE to be in your position Smile

soccermom830's picture

This means not being around his family then because she will always be there.  I just lost my mother and sister a few years ago.  I guess all of this is just stressful for that reason.  so i guess i know what my options are.   

This does NOT mean you cannot attend his family functions. You attend. You are friendly. You are polite. And when you encouter SD, you be the bigger person and nod your head or say hello. Other than that, forget her.

I went through something ugly with SD21 and SD25. I reached out and tried to set things right. Not only were they hateful, the little beeyotches actually tried to GASLIGHT me. Gaslighters are toxic people and I cut those people out of my life. They are dead to me. I will never again lift a finger to do anything for the SDs.

However, I love my DH and he loves them. So, for HIS sake, I will be polite. But when they call me for any reason (and they have), I do not answer. And I never will. I will no longer do anything to help them. I don't care if they're stranded naked in a blizzard. Gaslighting = Toxic = I do NOTHING for you. EVER. Period.Dot.

disrestep's picture

You made an effort to get along with SD. The fact SD forwarded the message to daddy shows how immature she is. She could of responded to the message or not responded at all. Sending it to daddy and complaining about the name spelled wrong is rude and immature. 

Your bf did mention to her to think about responding back to her, which tells me he is trying.

She sounds just like my disrespectful rude adult SD who does things like that. Look at it on the positive side, you no longer have to deal with SD's rudeness and communicate with her. At family functions just ignore her and don't let her get to you. 

If she does badmouth you or show disrespect in front of your BF, he needs to be the one to deal with her, as it is his daughter and he should expect nothing less than to have the person he loves be treated at least with respect, as any good man would. The fact she is an adult has nothing to do with having any family member treat you respectfully. If someone off the street was rude to you, would he just sit there and allow it keep happening?

You tried and SD has shown she is not going to be respectful of your relationship at this time. Ignore her.

momjeans's picture

As others have stated, I would look at this lack of reciprocation as a positive thing. 

You apologized. She didn’t acknowledge it and chose to ignore you. Fine. Door closed. Move on with dating her dad and be thankful you aren’t married (yet), hitching your wagon to this girl. Let it go. You aren’t the 22 year old butthead whisperer.

marblefawn's picture

I understand how you feel. I tried several times to extend the olive branch to my SD and a few times it seemed to take and work. I told SD how much easier it is to be friends and she agreed. I told her how relieved I was that we could finally just be good to each other. In a weak moment, she apologized for how she treated me and I told her, "It's all forgotten. Let's move on." I told her that someday, we'd likely need each other when her dad is ailing. But in the long run, it didn't last. The only way it could last is for me to accept her uneven behavior, her "seduction and rejection" of me and all her little slights along the way.

You did a good thing -- it could have been good for both of you, but she chose not to take that opportunity. So now it's just good for you. You know you tried and her rejection means you can stop trying.

Down the pike, she might come around. If nothing else, she also knows you tried, so her ill treatment of you won't come as easily to her as it did -- she will pay the price of deep-down knowing she's being petty and childish. That's her cross to bear.

As for your husband, this is his weak spot. Forget about him making her do anything and get used to the idea that this is how it will be. Appreciate him for all the other things. Agree to disagree about his daughter and bury the subject deep. You'll get some peace that way and your marriage will be stronger if you aren't always arguing about SD.

hereiam's picture

I'm not sure it's fair to be mad at him because he is not mad at her. She is an adult, he did say something to her, she's made a choice. Her not responding tells you what you need to know, so consider that your response and act accordingly.

She probably now feels like she has the upper hand, that you are going to chase her. Drop it. Now you know where you stand, don't be angry, don't be hurt, ghost her.

Just remember that your BF can never be mad at you for ignoring her. So, if you want to go to family events and not interact with her at all, that is your choice, just as it was hers to not respond to your gesture (and he was, apparently, fine with that). Don't let her run you off.

Not everything is something that requires your BF to mad about on your behalf. If he stands up for you on the important things, then you're doing okay.

A few years ago, my SD26 came over with her two boys, who had a habit of sucking on my throw pillows. I took them away from them (since she just let them do it) and she made some snarky comment. I later laughed about it with my DH and he said that he didn't hear her say that and he would've said something to her, if he had (and he would have). I told him that there was no need for that, I'm an adult and if I had felt the need to call her out on it, I would have. It was better to ignore her because I know that it took a lot for her to A) come up with a snarky comment and B ) have the guts to say it. As far as she knew, it went unheard, and I know that bugged her.

Now, if she cussed me out, he would have her ass.

momjeans's picture

She probably now feels like she has the upper hand, that you are going to chase her. Drop it. Now you know where you stand, don't be angry, don't be hurt, ghost her.

This. 100% this.

And a little pro tip, OP: She doesn’t (have the upper hand). 

SacrificialLamb's picture

And you make sure if you ever have to write her name for any reason, that you always mispell it.  

soccermom830's picture

she could care less. i guess why it bothers me is that he has an ongoing string of texts almost daily with his ex wife (even though he blocks her - i'm sure the kids aren't aware of that) and kids like they are still a dysfunctional family - makes me feel like an outsider and he has another life with them i am not accepted in.  i think by keeping the group texting going, he is just enforcing it.  but maybe not.  i just don't think they care or respect him because it's all about them - i don't think he ever brings me up to them which is what they want. 

still learning's picture

Anything you say can and will be held against you.  Take SD's number out of your phone and do not contact her again.  She didn't respond to your appology because she knows you didn't do anything wrong.  Instead she cries to daddy about spelling her name wrong. How dare you spell it Hailey instead of HayLeigh...the nerve!  

This won't get better with time or god forbid, marriage.  You've seen what their dynamic is and you the outsider will only stregnthen their daddee and princess can do no wrong bond.  I married into the same situation except princess is a grown man.  DH is extremely frustrated with ss but has never defended me in front of him or told him to play nice. I've had to take the reigns and practice full disengagement with ss32.  

Disengage and accept that this is the way things are.  Decide for yourself whether you really want this ongoing drama in your life.  

hereiam's picture

I just realized who you are, OP. Is this the same BF? If so, this is very minor compared to how your BF treats you, overall.

sandye21's picture

Yes, hereiam, same BF, same drama.  MONTHS AGO we were all writing "-- this is very minor compared to how your BF treats you, overall." 

soccermom830's picture

yes judge away - for all those married for years to the same disney men who cater to their daughters.  seems to be an epidemic.  thank you for those who responded with sincere input and suggestions.  you are right - i give it way too much attention. 

Hon, I spent waaaaay too much time bending over backwards, doing things I should not have, trying to help... My DH started out as a Disney Dad, but when I disengaged, he woke up. I also learned the right way to communicate with him - words and tone of voice that don't get his back up. He will actually ask for my opinion on things now. (Although I'm not going to tell him that the SDs are a pair of nasty beeyotches who have become mini narcissists like their mother... And they only call when they want money, which he will no longer give them, so that means we only see them at Christmas.)

But the big thing was that I disengaged and concentrated on caring about things over which *I* had control. When I focused my energies in more positive, controllable directions, I became happier and less stressed.

soccermom830's picture

well that would never happen with my bf's daughters. they have a daily group text going with ex wife and all his kiddos - now middle daughter is preggo so that will only get more frequent - but yes, disengaging sounds awesome until the next family get together.  i may go and if i'm treated anything less than - i will leave and never go back.  too much energy has been spent on someone who is just not worth my stress - you are right. 

hereiam's picture

Just asking if this is the same BF who constantly makes you feel so very unimportant because it matters, in the big picture.

I'm not sure why you think anybody is judging you. Judging him, maybe, based on all of the things you have told us about how he treats you.

For the record, I am not married to a Disney man who caters to his daughter or any other family member. For 21 years, I have been front and center in his life. There ARE men out there who know how to treat a woman.

Are you still engaged?

sandye21's picture

"Two weeks have passed and now I'm pissed off at him for not being upset with her for being so disrespectful and dismissive once again.  Who does that?  He said she's not 8 years old anymore and there's nothing he can do."  Yes, there IS a certain amount of judgment - about your BF and the way he has treated you for almost a year (or more).  His words and actions do not demonstrate he values you as a partner.

My DH used to be a Disney Dad.  Like you, I tried to appease SD and win her over instead of recognizing that the REAL problem was DH and his lack of commitment to me.  I am ashamed that I wasted 20 years hoping something magical would happen and DH would suddenly see the light.  Instead I should have been creating boundaries for DH which would given him a 'wake-up' call.  I'm so glad I finally DID find the courage to do so, and he decided to 'reprioritize' his relationship with me. 

Setting boundaries is very scary because you are risking the relationship with your BF.  If BF doesn't eventually come through for you and defend you to SD what are you planning to do?  And how long are you going to wait for your BF to take action?

Livingoutloud's picture

Your BF will never change. You will never be his priority. I was in a relationship with Disney dad and I left and now am happily married to a man who puts me first. Are you two not engaged anymore? You aren’t calling him fiancé. 

soccermom830's picture

nope   but now he's been staying with me and when i just complained about him not standing up for me and letting his daughter stay in his house for free while he stays with me - he said he's not selling his house for a long time.  wow.  i must be stupid i guess. 

ItsGrowingOld's picture

You said.... "I recently messaged my boyfriend's 22 year old daughter apologizing for whatever I've done to upset her (nothing) and extended an Olive Branch"

Why are you appologizing to her if you have done nothing wrong.  That makes no sense to me.  By doing this you are giving her the upper hand and she knows it.

If I were you, I'd put her on ice and freeze her out. 

Rags's picture

Only appologize if you were wrong.  If you weren't wrong, why appologize?

As for being upset with your DH because he was not upset with his spawn......? Really?  Stop

Only you can set how you will be treated by others and no matter how  you choose to manage that you cannot expect anyone else to "feel" about any situaton the way you feel about it.  Feels are not relevent anyway and feelings solve nothing.  Only action solves problems.  So, set your personal boundaries and expectations of behavior that you will tolerate from others and confront deviations from those standards each and every time they happen.

While I completely understand that  you are hurt by your DH's lack of balls in all of this... if he won't display appropriate testicular fortitude in how people speak of, to and treat his bride... you are going to have to display it for yourself.

Good luck.

soccermom830's picture

yes, really.  when my oldest son  has been rude to him - i let him know i don't agree with his behavior and within a short time period, it changes because he knows i won't allow it or i am dissapointed in him.  not saying anything at all is just saying you accept their behavior and you will put up with it.  it's HIS kid, not mine.  supposedly she wants a relationship with him - she should act accordingly.  i can stand up for myself but of course i want him to also - it's HIS family.  i guess they would be happy if i was never around which is exactly what they will get.  i am the only one hurt in the end. 

Rags's picture

You are a true parent and person of character who holds  yourself and your children to reasonable standards.... DH?.... Not so much it seems.

Take care of you.

Livingoutloud's picture

I’d not allow him to live in my house if he still has his. And if you two aren’t planning to marry I’d not let him live in my house while he maintains his. You could just date. Why play house with someone who has no respect for you? Does he at least pay rent? 

soccermom830's picture

no - i guess when someone doesn't move their things in - it's not called living together  haha