You are here

apparently stepson needs to live in an elevator building...

bronx mom's picture

latest on a saga which really doesn't concern me, but which drives me completely crazy.

Stepson (who will be 22 in the fall) is going to a CUNY college in Brooklyn in the fall and his mother, who is unemployed and has a chronic, degenerative illness, is renting him an apartment near campus. (Most kids who attend this school commute from all over the city and we offered him space in our home but whatever) I was annoyed by this, on principal, but assumed they would be looking for an apartment share. Nope, they are going to get him his own lease on a nice little studio-- for about $1200 a month. Mom is sending my DH to look at these places and meet with brokers (brokers charge anough $2k or so) and really prefers for him to have an elevator building!

Finally DH asked SS where the money is coming from, and the SS says the mom is taking out a private bank loan to pay for it.

Shouldn't a 22 yo man have the maturity to say "mom, thank you so much, but you can't afford this... I can stay with dad and commute, work and save money until I can do this on my own?"

I am genuinely curious.

realitycheckmom's picture

If he was mature and considerate he would say that. He is neither and he won't be saying that. I expect he will be saying "Dad, you need to foot the bill" when mom runs out of money and credit. Smile

bronx mom's picture

And of course he'll be needing to pay the electric bill, heat and hot water, internet service and cable TV no doubt... in NYC those bills can total another $300-$400 per month. Who are these people????

Disneyfan's picture

Where are they looking?

Places like Spring Creek include electric and gas in the rent.

Real estate agents charge 3ways for apartments. If the rent is $1000, you pay $3000. If you deal with the owner directly, you only pay 2000.

If he's attending the school in Flatbush, there are apartments in private homes, all around campus being renting by owners.

The Target across the street makes a point of hiring students from that school.
Did he apply for financial aid? If so, with federal aid and TAP, he
should get a refund that he can use to cover his rent. Hell, he could apply for student loans to cover his living expenses.

wickedstepmum's picture

When the mother defaults on the loan, who's SS going to come running to? It's obvious she is going to default on the loan. Wake UP!!!