You are here

Am I wrong ?

Isheworthit's picture

Hi. I’m new here, and hoping to find some advice! I’m in a new relationship (8 mths) with a man that is 17yrs my senior. He has been single for 20+yrs. He has 1 daughter, and she sure isn’t rolling out the red carpet to welcome into their life ! His 38 yr old daughter acts more like his wife than his daughter. She moved back home last year and doesn’t seem to be leaving. He pays her everything. They have a joint account that both their checks go into. She pays his bills for him, reads his emails, picks his clothes, and even reads our texts, snoops his phone and pictures. He won’t let me in on his finances (I don’t know if he has 100$ or 10k in the bank), and turns to his daughter for everything. Should I just run ?

Isheworthit's picture

The biggest problem (and it may only be mine), is that he won’t change anything. His daughter is always checking into his online banking, so she knows(and clearly isn’t happy), if he so much as spends $30 on me. I really am not with him for money, I have my own, but I don’t see the point of being in a relationship if we have to go through his daughter for everything. She controls their money.

Winterglow's picture

I would chalk this up to experience and move on. They are not going to change in any way and I seriously doubt if you could put up with being left out of everything - I certainly couldn't. They have a life they are happy with, why would they change it? Consider what you represent to this guy - are you content with being there just for the sex? I mean, he's getting everything else from his daughter. Or do you want a deeper, richer relationship? Don't sell yourself short - you deserve more than the crumbs you'll get.

Stepping Along's picture

That's just so odd and weird.

But just to keep it short and simple, that's not normal from his side or the daughters side. Who needs or wants to be checking their dads outgoings, how much, what and who it's on? 
If he won't change, she most certainly won't, so it's not even a battle worth starting.
Chalk this one up to 'it's not you, It's them' and move on. Sorry for you have to deal with these weirdos xx 

MissTexas's picture

If this is what's going on in the 8 months you've been on the scene and this is what you KNOW is happening, can you imagine what is happening that YOU DO NOT KNOW ABOUT?

Their enmeshment has been going on long before you made your way into each other's lives.This is an extremely unhealthy dynamic.

I don't mean to sound offensive, but at 8 months, why do you need to know about his (their) money? You mentioned they have a joint account and both their checks go there. Presumably she has some sort of income, so how is i that he pays her "everything?"

You know what you need to do. He already has a "daughter wife." The longer you hang in there the worse it will get. Be grateful that you are seeing things NOW, and not after you've got years invested like many here.

Olivia2020's picture

Yes, his DaughterWife is making herself valuable to her daddy and there is NO ROOM...I repeat NO ROOM in his life and in HER life for YOU or any other adult woman hoping to have a healthy relationship with this man. 

They are enmeshed and without boundaries you will go mad trying to 'fit in' to their tight-knit circle of two.

Three weeks ago I just left HELL....married to DH only 45 days and his 24 yo DaughterWife....I'm so happy that you are aware of all this after only 8 months of dating...go on, run free from this hot mess, you'll have more fun and more chances at happiness with a man that is independent rather than co-dependent on his little DaughterWife. 

hereiam's picture

Move on. He's already got a woman in his life and she's not going anywhere. Not worth the energy, the frustration, or the fight.

PinkSharpie's picture

You can ask him if his relationship with her will take somewhat of a backseat for yours. But in my experiences with humans throughout my 49 years....I'd say it won't and you're better off leaving now before you waste any more of your life on these two.

lieutenant_dad's picture

He has a wife and it isn't you. He isn't interested in dating you; he's only interested in boinking you. Since he can't bring himself to cross that line with his daughter, he's brought in you to do it for him.

It should creep you out that you're closer to his daughter's age than his and that he wants to sleep with you. You're a surrogate for what he can't have.

ndc's picture

I'd move on. There isn't room in his life for a "real" partner.  Unless you are willing to always be "less than," this isn't the relationship for you.

Isheworthit's picture

Thanks everyone ! He says that he hopes to move into my house soon. What worries me is that his daughter will be giving him an ‘allowance ‘ to live on each month. Yes she does work in a hotel.... but it’s clear that her money is used for shoes, jackets and trips.... while all other bills comes out of daddy’s half of the account. I really don’t care about the amount of money he has.... but I just can’t see living with a man that has to phone his daughter to ask for money. I would like to think if he moved in with me.... he might break his twisted bond with her... but I have doubts. Especially after he just asked her to help him look for a new queen bed? Is it just me that thinks that is insulting. Should he not be looking at beds with me, instead of her? Or am I just jealous?

StrawberryPie's picture

I think you will realize in time this is not a healthy relationship for you or him/his daughter. Dont get more invested and waste your time.  He's just not worth it.

lieutenant_dad's picture

So he wants to move in with you, which means you'll be sharing the bed with him, and he is taking HIS DAUGHTER to pick it out?

No, no, no. DH and I had been dating about 8 months when I went to buy a bed, and we weren't living together. I took him with me because I wanted to get his opinion on a bed he was going to be sleeping in pretty regularly in the future (or assumed he would be, anyway). I still bought what I wanted, but it only seemed fair to ask his opinion. I certainly didn't bring my mother with me.

You aren't going to be the one to break this bond. If he wants it broken, he'll break it. Don't move someone in who isn't willing to make change on their own. Only move in adults who are independent adults. You're not their parent who is trying to break them away from a bad crowd.

Cover1W's picture

This is my reaction too. His daughter will not magically disappear but may ramp up terrible behavior. Then you'll have a deadbeat roommate not a partner.

Winterglow's picture

If you ever let him move in with you, I'd give him a month before he feels entitled enough to move his daghter in too ... and he won't bother asking you, he'll just say that he didn't think you'd mind...

Bets, anyone?

ldvilen's picture

No, darling.  He isn't worth it.  He is a puppet of his daughter, and if you get further involved with him, you will become the puppet of a puppet.  There is no way this is even remotely "jealousy."  It is your BS-dar going off and telling you that your DH and his DaughterWife have a sick relationship and that you need to take care that you don't get sucked into it too. 

To answer your question: RUN.  You are better off by yourself than you are with this fruitcake and his tart of a daughter.

Olivia2020's picture

nothing will change other than you getting sucked into their plot of using you for their gain. DaughterWife doesn't want the burden or responsibility of caring for her dad, it's easier to find a woman with a house to move right on into! Please do not get into this any further. You may not get him out of your house and his DaughterWife will have a key to come and go as she pleases...lack of boundaries again. His bond with her will not stop and you will not be a priority. Sorry.

2Tired4Drama's picture

And the answer from everyeone is YES!!! 

So why are you even wasting your energy asking us about future problems of his daughter giving him an allowance, moving in together, buying a bed, etc.?  

We've given you the best advice we could and have answered your question:  You need to end this relationship.  Run.

Thumper's picture

What advise would you give your bff IF she came to you with the very same situation?

Would you tell her to stay in the relationship? Would you tell her "oh honey this is normal"

Find another guy. This one is not available for a healthy, meaningful relationship.

Thumper's picture

Ok OP your just jealous. jealous of his daughter.

There that is what you want, right?

I think you should let him move into your house. AND put his name on your deed. I also think you should help pay his daughter bills.

I think it is great your boyfriend asked his daughter to help pick out a bed for the two of you. Make sure she tries the mattress...you did suggest that right? I would also make sure she has money to purchase sheets for the bed too..............dont forget those.

This is a great realtionship for you. Best wishes to you all.

Isheworthit's picture

Wow.... you got sarcastic awefully quick ? I was asking honest questions and just making sure I wasn’t jumping the gun and ending it too soon. Is that not what this forum is for ? 

Olivia2020's picture

Petronella has a wit that is truthful and hilarious...not meant to harm. It's all good ;-) 

1StepForward2's picture

I have to agree with the others.  There are red flags all over this. As they say love is not enough.  My situation wasn'r as obvious as yours but my DH was very enmeshed with his adult sons.  Couldn't get two of them to launch.  If I had to do it over again, I would have moved on right from the beginning as sad as I would have been because DH is a really nice guy  But the stress, lies, promises were just that.

jam's picture

If you don't RUN right NOW, you WILL regret it. This relationship has absolutely no hope. This relationship is like having a relationship with a guy that still lives with his wife but not in the same bedroom. He tells you they are just friends now and like a good friend his wife takes care of the finances.

Stop kidding yourself and get the hell out!!

Lizzylemon's picture

If your relationship goal is to date and have pleasant outings with your bf I don't see a problem with this relationship. However, it is clear the daughter is there to ensure she maintains her inheritance and may not allow your bf to get married in the fututre. If you would like to marry a man this is not the relationship for you. Myself and a lot of my friends either control our parents money or have their legal trusts in place to assure the inheritances. The daughter will not be willing to let go of the finances, ever. Good luck to you. 

ldvilen's picture

Ha! Ha!  "Myself and a lot of my friends either control our parent’s money or have their legal trusts in place to assure the inheritances."  The top 2% of the MEllennial generation?  With the richest 1% of Americans close to surpassing the wealth of middle class.  Not a category for most of us here, I’m afraid.  Either that, or there are way more DaughterWives out there than I ever realized!

Isheworthit's picture

Yes.... I ran. I’m almost thankful for this virus stuff.... it makes a perfect excuse to not have to see him for a few weeks until we are back to work. 

And for the record... I really wasn’t after him for his money. I have my own well paying job, with my own investments and pension. My concern was the thought of moving a man in here, that after 8 months didn’t trust me enough to share just everyday conversation. I’m not a gold digger, but thought I was being proactive by making sure the guy wasn’t 50k in debt before hand

But thank you everyone for all your advice. I’ve been known to jump the gun (haha).... so I really was trying to give this one time for things to unravel in a positive way.... but it surely wasn’t happening with that strange bond between them

hereiam's picture

Wanting to know about and discuss finances with someone you think you might get serious with does not a gold digger make. It is just smart.

His daughter is not going to give up the strings, financial or otherwise.

ldvilen's picture

We all here know you are not a gold-digger.  You do not have to convince us.  But you’d be amazed how many non-steps revert back to dark-ages, archaic thinking when it comes to SMs.  They just assume SMs are all gold-diggers looking for an easy ride.  Disgusting.  Apparently, their brains don’t have enough space in them in the year 2020 to even imagine that a woman, a SM could earn more than a man she is interested in, and that she is interested in that man 99% for himself.