You are here

Am I being unreasonable?

pete1972's picture

I can't believe I've been a member on here for coming on 12 years... I didn't think that 12 years on I would still be needing advice on dealing with stepkids. Just goes to show that it never really gets any easier!!!

I haven't posted in a while but just wanted some opinions on my current situation. Long story short, my SD got herself pregnant at 17 and we have been running after her ever since. My wife has gone as far as doing her washing and ironing, cleaning her house, walking her dog as well as pratically raising the grandson. 

My SD has had a few jobs but her latest one has her working shifts, which means that she needs childcare 5 days/nights a week and 3 weekends a month. She knew this before taking the job but didn't consider it an issue, just assuming that we would provide the childcare, even though we both work full time. I think thats my biggest issue... She just doesn't have any consideration for anyone else. They are just expected to drop everything and run after her and if they don't its always someone elses fault?!?

Anyway, due to her latest releationship breaking down she was off work for 3 months which was great for my wife and I. We reconnected, spent lots of quality time together and things have been great. We are just back from a few days away and my SD is back to work. Just like that, things are expected to go back to how they were. Us doing all the running... I have told my wife that I don't want to go back to the way it was because it puts too much of a strain on us. Her answer is that my SD doesn't have anyone else. She knew this before she took the job though but that doesn't seem to matter!!!

My SD and I had a row a few months ago when she asked my wife to go and feed her dogs, which is a whole other story. Why would a single parent who can't look after a child get TWO large dogs?!?!? Anyway, I gave off saying that we did enough already and her answer was that loads of grandparents look after their grand children... But I don't know any that also work full time and do shifts?

My current strategy now is to just do my own thing. Go where I want when I want and if my wife doesn't like it then its up to her to do something about it... 

Rant over... Just wondering if I sound unreasonable?

PS: Baby daddy has always been useless and isn't even allowed to see any children at the minute let alone his own...  His family are pretty much the same so I know she doesn't have a lot of support but that should have been the main reason to not take a job doing stupid hours and get something 9-5!!!

justmakingthebest's picture

Why isn't she paying for a babysitter? Even if just for the weekends so that you and your wife can enjoy what is supposed to be your child free years together? 

pete1972's picture

Why should she when we can do it? (Not my answer btw) but yes that should be an option, as should sleepovers with his mates etc.

justmakingthebest's picture

Sooo. why haven't you and your wife told her NO? It is a super easy word. I am sure your grandson knew it by the time he was 1! You should practice! 

SD: (Walks in door)

You: No

-------------------------------

SD: Can you___?

You: NO

SD: I have work-

You: NO

See? Easy! 

Winterglow's picture

I hope she's at least going after the father for child support. 

I think it's time she sorted her own life out. It is not your problem that she needs childcare so stop providing it. Let her rehome her dogs. She can either find a new job and pay for daycare or she can pay for an overnight and weekend nanny. It's her call. 

Tell your wife it's called tough love... If you keep bailing her out she'll never learn to cope on her own. 

pete1972's picture

No child support... As soon as she threatened him with child support he quit his job!?!? Wouldn't surprise you if you knew him...

SteppedOut's picture

He can't just quit a job and then not be required to pay CS. The court will base his support on this last job and his ABILITY to earn. 

Rags's picture

Yep, it is called Imputed Income.  The courts can and often will impute an income on those who are subject to CS and unemployed or underemployed based on their qualifications and earning potential. Whether voluntarily under/un employed or not. Whether they are the CP or the NCP.

We motioned for an Imputed Income on my SS's SpermDad when he ran from the process server and dodged demands by the DA to participate in the CS review process.  My DW had not demanded a review for more than 9 years.  So... the DA imputed an income on him which raised his CS from $133/mo to $785/mo. That POS came running, screaming, and crying into court when he got his first $0.00 pay check since the DA also invoked direct payroll withholding of CS. 

Diablo

pete1972's picture

Not sure the system is the same in the UK? But it has been mentioned several times about taking him to court. Nothing ever comes of it though

Winterglow's picture

Being unemployed doesn't get him off the hook. She should go ahead and file, preferably back-dated, if possible. And if he's working under the table, turn the bugger in to the IRS. 

tog redux's picture

Of course she thinks of no one else, your wife goes along with everything that's asked of her. If she set some limits, SD would have to change her ways. 

You do your own thing and let your wife run herself ragged catering to her daughter. 

2Tired4Drama's picture

She was 16 when you first posted so I assume she is now 28.

If that's the case, and your DW has been "running after her" for almost 11 years I'd say enough is enough.

I think you are on a very tough road because your DW is probably so enmeshed in the grandchild's life she will not be able to let go. Add in the guilt that your SD is throwing at her, and it makes it even worse. (OTHER grandmoms do this or that...why can't YOU?!)

We only get so much time on this planet. If your wife chooses to spend hers being an uber-grandma rather than your wife and partner, the only thing you can do is indeed live your own life. Go out and enjoy yourself, come home happy and brag about the fun you had.  

pete1972's picture

My thoughts exactly... Why waste what time we have left running after someone who doesn't appreciate it. 

Winterglow's picture

Another angle... Your wife is doing her daughter a HUGE disservice by enabling her. She is preventing her from learning how to adult. In other words, she clearly doesn't love her daughter as much as she thinks because she is preventing her from learning to cope with and solve problems. At the same time, she's torpedoing her marriage... How does she think her daughter will manage when she's gone? It's beyond time for her to learn how to problem solve so let her get on with it! 

pete1972's picture

Absolutely agree with this. All I want is for her kids to grow up and fend for themselves. Will make them better adults in the future.

ESMOD's picture

You are not being unreasonable.  Sure, lots of grandparents help out with the grandkids.. but not to the total erasure of their own lives normally.

And.. yeah.. her mom helps her out.. goes to feed the dogs as a favor.  I will be honest, my MIL goes and walks our dog a few days a week...  I mean, he could stay in all day.. but it's nice that she is willing to take him out midday when one of us can't be there (my DH works a rotating shift and I go in the office 3 days a week.. so it's 3 max.. usually less though).  We live next door.. it's not really out of her way.  So, that in itself isn't a huge issue.. but if it's eating into your lives to a great extent? Then I think it's reasonable to set limits on what she can ask for

I guess the small positive point is at least she IS working.. and it's unfortunate that her EX and his family are not able to be part of the solution.

As others have said though... your only real option is to resolve to live YOUR life without these limitations.. which means that if you want to go to the apple orchard this weekend.. and wife is babysitting.. you go alone.  if she resents that, then the answer to her is that while you understand she feels a need to help her daughter and you understand her daughter is not in an ideal situation.. that you don't feel it's fair to your lives to completely put aside your needs to serve the fact that her daughter has not made a good choice in work schedule.

So, sure, if daughter needs assistance once or twice a week.. that might not be unreasonable.. but if she would work a schedule that works with traditional childcare... then the need to have her mom step in at all hours of the day would be greatly reduced.

pete1972's picture

Glad to see I'm not being unreasonable.

It keeps getting cast up to me that its not fair on the child to be moved from pillar to post and while I agree - its also not fair for him to spend 80% of his time living away from his mum!?!?

ESMOD's picture

So, who is the one ultimately responsible for making things easier on the child?  THE PARENTS.. and I don't mean your wife.. The mother of that child owes it to her child to be there and arrange safe childcare when she works.  

Given the age of the kid, he shouldn't need as much care as much of his day would be in school... so if mom worked a regular job of 9-5.. she might just have to get some after school care set up.. and maybe the kid could get dropped off by the bus after school at your home for wife to watch him for a few hrs until his mom gets off work? but that would be a lot more reasonable.

It's not your wife's responsibility to make things right for the kid though.. it's her daughter's.. but I guess when daughter fails to do it your wife feels she has to step in.

Ispofacto's picture

Why would a single parent who can't look after a child get TWO large dogs

That is an excellent question.  Absolutely refuse to take care of her dogs.  If they need daycare, she can board them.

Wtf, she sounds extremely entitled.

The only point in her favor is that she stopped at one child.  I'm glad she didn't have more.

SacrificialLamb's picture

"The only point in her favor is that she stopped at one child.  I'm glad she didn't have more."

Yet. If she gets knocked up again, I would really be out the door!

Rumplestiltskin's picture

The situation you describe is one of my worst fears for if SO and i get married. SO has 4 kids. One of his brothers also has 4 kids that SO and other family have had to help with. His other brother has 2 kids he has been unable to properly care for. SO has taken in all of these kids at some point and i am terrified for when they start reproducing and can't take care of their kids. You wait for the kids to grow up and launch, but dysfunction begets dysfunction and the family enablers never stop enabling. 

Miss T's picture

... about your situation. It sounds dreadful and it's long past time to give this entitled brat the boot in multiple ways.

I do have to take issue with your statement that she got herself pregnant. She may be stupid, ignorant, irresponsible and dumb as a bag of hammers, but she could not have done this without the active participation of an equally stupid, ignorant, irresponsible and dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers male. One of the ways of giving her the boot must be to insist that she go after him for child support.

GIve DW the boot too if she protests. Life's too short for this nonsense.

pete1972's picture

Sorry Miss T.... I know it takes two to make a baby and its not all her fault. No offence intended.

Rags's picture

smh

Time to up the the ante.  Inform your wife that the two of you are moving.  List the house, and implement the move.  Far enough from your succubus  SD that she can no longer feed on your marriage.

TheBrightSide's picture

Its clear you and your wife see how to parent an adult child, and by extension, the grandchild very differently.

If your wife's enabling of her daughter (your wife doesn't see it that way), affects your marriage directly, AND your wife won't seek marriage counseling, AND if you see this as a dealbreaker, then your only option is to divorce.

Your wife has the right to parent her daughter and grandchild as she sees fit.  Clearly she's willing to do so at the expense of her marriage.   

You can't force anyone to do anything.    

You also have the right to want certain expectations met that relate to your marriage. 

You've dealt with this for 11 years...clearly your wife doesn't take your needs seriously because she know's your not going anywhere.   

AgedOut's picture

The problem with overdoing for our adult kids is that they never learn to do for themselves. I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm watching someone go through the same. They've raised adult children they always have to do for. Babysitting a toddler 4 days a week full time at age 70? Paying for house repairs, car repairs, extras. And in return? a tired grandma, an angry grandpa who didn't know this is what they'd be spending their retirement doing, and an adult who cannot adult. It's the mess they've made. 

Your wife is making her's but you know what? you can do you. Join a book/biking/hiking/gardening/sports team lovin' club. Take a class, go pick apples, go to museums, whatever your thing is, do it. Hopefully your wife will see you doing these things and want to join you. But if she doesn't, at least you did. 

CLove's picture

Being unreasonable.

You are completely spot on, as the other comments can attest to.

You have experienced a nice life with your mate when she had a "break" from her enabling of her daughter.

Whats next up is the enabled enmeshed gradkiddo. So it will never end.

Take others suggestions and do your own thing. Try letting go of any resentment, as I am currently trying to do, and move forward...

SacrificialLamb's picture

The older I get I don't want to live with any crap. You are not the family servant, so you go do whatever it is you want.

pete1972's picture

Thanks everyone for all the advice and comments. 

Its just good to know I'm not being unreasonable. To be honest I am over it all and moving on with my own life. Does it annoy me that I never come first? Of course it does. Am I as bitter as I once was? No, I can honestly say I'm not. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. Does that mean I'm starting to not really care anymore about our marriage? Maybe.

My DW is 'trying' to make some sort of effort. Suggesting things for us to do when we don't have the child. Part of me thinks thats a good thing but the other part of me thinks why should we arrange our lives around SD? My DW suggested we go away for a weekend next month... but she will have to check SD's work schedule before we book anything!!! Surely it should be lets just go away and if we're not here SD will have to sort something else out...

Anyway, as I said, I'm getting over it and moving on. Whether my DW will feel left out or miss me remains to be seen. 

I mentioned in my original post that I've been a member for nearly 12 years. I don't post that often but I do come and read other peoples stories which give me hope (most of the time). Thanks again everyone for the support, much appreciated...

Winterglow's picture

I think I would tell her that I didn't give a damn about her daughter's schedule and that I would be going regardless. Then I'd add that if she cared about her marriage she would do likewise. Maybe also add a dig about how does she feel about facing retirement and old age alone ... Sorry, but your wife really pisses me off. She's had NINE whole years for her daughter to sort herself out and has done nothing but enable her to use you both. I'm glad you're moving on. Make sure she hears about how much fun you're having Smile

2Tired4Drama's picture

Go ahead and make the reservation. If your DW ultimately decides she can't go, then kiss her on the cheek as you head out the door with your suitcase in hand. 

Do NOT put your life on pause because of her ridiculous desires to support her grown daughter. You have desires you need to pursue too.

In fact, I would look to see if there are clubs/groups for whatever your interests are and join!  You will undoubtedly meet new people who may also be available to do the activities you enjoy. Go to "Meet Up" and see if there are gardening, hiking, boating, biking, etc. clubs you can join. 

MissTexas's picture

The dogs are innocent and didn't ask for this. Please make sure they are not taken to a kill shelter.

Do you! Enjoy. Be happy, even if it means leaving.

You're a prince for putting up with this for almost a DECADE. That's time you can NEVER get back. Every moment is one that can't be relived. Let that penetrate the crevices of your brain. NEVER. The journey of life is short, and to be enjoyed. Fix that.

momofoneboy's picture

I don't think you are being unreasonable but it sounds like your wife likes to feel "useful" which is why she continues to enable her daughter. 

I was married for a long time before my husband passed away a few years ago. Currently, I have almost nothing to do with the skids. You would think I felt sad, but I feel nothing but relief.

My skids were all in their 40s and still on "economic outpatient care" which seems to be a theme with a lot of second marriages. Parents feel guilt, because of divorce, whatever happened in first marriage and over compensate as kids are no longer kids but adults. This could be doing things that they could be doing themselves or giving them money (bailing them out). It used to cause a lot of fights and stress in my marriage because I could not understand a 45 year old adult whining to dad about money problems and dad caving in.

Bottom line is this, you have to have boundaries and if your wife continues to enable no matter how much you argue about it, it is not going to change. You can either accept this and start to carve a life for yourself if you want to be together, or you can divorce. I opted to stick it out but it did come with a lot of sadness and sacrifice, which in hindsight, I am not sure I would have done again. I had to separate our accounts, let him do what he wants with his stupid kids that worked him over like a cheap fiddle lol, I saved, invested, had nice dinners with friends.

Not sure that is the best advice, it's all I got. Hang in there!