You are here

Advice needed with horrible step daughters and spineless husband!

12342004's picture

Hoping for some advice and trying to condense my story to save boredom
Been married to hubby almost 22 yrs
Both of us separated when met he had 2 girls 5&6 I had son aged 7
Been married 13 yrs
His kids always been put on the pedestal money bought visitation and live for him
I was the classic step mum tried to keep peace etc
Couldn’t discipline in case they didn’t want to see Dad etc etc
They have been allowed to totally rule my marriage
They are now almost 28&29 and have kids of their own
They only want their dad for money
They have tried everything to split us up even though we have a child together they will stop at nothing
They succeeded twice but we are older now and don’t live as near
It’s now so hard for me to like them- they call me names have no respect
They have secret meetings etc
My OH has just been caught out as I have gone through his phone messages that he actually texts the eldest constantly in fact I nearly vomited when reading some as if I didn’t know better it could be another woman!
He’s been giving her money, buying stuff for new house, car, Petrol, furniture you name it! All while keeping it secret
I’m actually not bothered about the money but this has been like this years!
Yes when we were skint( his doing) I used to say no but he would just go behind my back
The family is very toxic and so in a way I’m used to them all calling each other behind their backs
I fear now that as much as I love my OH the sense of deceit and the fact he’s lying has totally crushed the trust I had
I don’t want to be paranoid but she acts like his wife!!!
It makes me feel sick
I actually think I hate the eldest and now they started to have kids feel it’s going to start all over again
These kids are experts at blackmailing and manipulation
One even told a friend I’m in their way
If I was gone they would get more out of daddy!!!
Has anyone one else been through this?
They are outright bitches and I can’t stand it any more
I could go on but there’s too much horrible stuff they done to write down
Do I tell him I’m done and they no longer welcome and he sees them without me or just keep putting up with it
I feel OH is in middle and I don’t want to sound the bad person but I am his wife and why is he so secretive with them????

MadHatter's picture

Ahhhhh...a mini-wife. That's what your SD is to your OH. Trust is a huge issue. Best of luck trying to work through that. I imagine it can be done, but the day I stopped trusting my ex was the day I decided to divorce him.

SugarSpice's picture

i agree about the mini wife syndrome.

your dh is a surrogate husband for his own daughter. it is emotionally sick for every one involved.

you have to figure out how to cope from disengagement to divorce.

if your sd is marriage that creates another problem.

12342004's picture

As not married but with partner
Incidentally an ex con!
I won’t have him in my house but I am expected to this Christmas
Apparently according to sd - everyone deserves second chance
She is so full shit!
DAddy just believes everything she says

I feel I can’t say anything all I have had is
They are only kids
Now they adults I get
What about the grandkids - we have to let everyone do what they want just because they both now had kids!

sandye21's picture

First of all, separate all finances do you are not paying for anything for them. If you do not want to be around them, tell DH he can see them on his own but you do not allow them in your house. Go from there. Read about emotional incest and see if this fits. You might have to look at your marriage and ask if you want to be married to a man who is bring so dishonest with you.

Dovina's picture

Your story sounds so much like many others. Sad
The secretiveness has been normalized by your DH. He knows that his daughters rub you the wrong way (obviously for good reason on your part). He thinks its best to avoid arguments, and leads his double life. Its like a mistress that will always be. Also a part of him knows that this is an unhealthy relationship , so he hides it. The daughter just becomes the elephant in the room.
Its dysfunctional, and good healthy relationships are hard to maintain when he has a another wife, his daughter. Relationships should be transparent.
My guess is that you cannot change this, unless your DH sees how unhealthy this is, and he wants to modify his behavior. If not things will remain the same.
Speak with your DH, calmly (that can be the tricky part), and lay it out for him how you see this situation and how it affects you. Good luck

12342004's picture

Thankyou so much for response I didn’t think anyone would reply
You understand that’s helpful and yes I can relate to mini wife
I think it’s more the daughter than him he’s just going along for quite life and so she lets him see grandkids
That’s what ex did- dish out cash= see your kids
It’s the only way he knows really
I don’t want to be the wife that makes him feel like he has to choose which is how they will try to make it
I don’t think it will change simply because it’s how he’s always been
I think I have to dis engage and explain that I don’t trust him anymore and let him lead the other life without my input
At least I won’t feel used like I’m running s hotel/ restaurant etc
I’m just a glorified door mat at the minute and they revel in it because they know they have upper hand
Thanks again
I don’t feel half as bad now others have made me see it’s not me
X

Dovina's picture

This site is really good to have, especially when you are feeling defeated. This site is a god send with so many adult SD posts to read. I learned all about disengaging from this site. You and your well being needs to be your #1 priority. It is a good feeling to just let it go. However if your finances are being affected by what he gives to his adult mini wives, that needs to be talked about. If it doesn't you will have to become a master of looking the other way, and then come on here to vent. It helps.

12342004's picture

The money isn’t an issue now
It used to be as I’ve built the home up and always worked and supported hubby whilst he got on his feet
Little do the brats know if it wasn’t for me they would have f@@k all
They have bled us dry at times
The eldest is the most spiteful vindictive female I have ever come across
Even when daddy was very seriously ill she wanted money
But she just plays him
Sends him pictures of when they were little with the Mum to lay the guilt on!
Thing is the mother ended the marriage and he was on his own when I came on the scene
I’ve covered up a lot of the awful things they have said and done because I didn’t want hubby to be hurt or worst still fall I’ll agsin due to the stress- he had stroke few years ago
I believe due to the constant stress from them
Oh god I could write a book on the tricks they have done
But
They are his flesh and blood and they can do no wrong or if they do there is an excuse or they don’t talk for month them it’s all blown under carpet because some major fabricated drama unfolds and then they are never made to be accountable for the original row they created

I think I need to remove myself from them
It will cause pain and possibly damage my marriage and they will feel they have won as they will have daddy without me but he will soon tire of doing everything!
Birthdays
Xmas presents
Cooking etc
He wants the big happy family ( watching too much Walton’s)
But in order for that I have to be the doormat !

Dovina's picture

They want the Waltons . Except the Waltons were an intact family and Mr. Walton wasn't enmeshed with his daughters. I mean at the end of the show everyone said good night to each other no exclusions lol Smile

sammigirl's picture

12342004: I removed myself from my SD56 and DH's betrayal and gossip, not only about me, but many other family members. When I learned how destructive they are, when they get together, and feed off of each other, I decided to disengage and never take it personal again. Eight years ago, I set new boundaries for myself, and decided I was the only person that was going to change my situation; I disengaged totally from SD56 and her immediate family.

I figured DH would leave me over my disengagement. It has been difficult, but our marriage has survived and it is much better in a different way. I also felt SD and her family had won the battle, when I stepped away and began building my own life without attending any further family gatherings, where SD and family would be present. I told my DH to please see his daughter and grandkids any time he wished and anywhere he wished; but SD and family were not allowed in our home, if they did not show respect to me, as DH's wife. I told DH, I will show them the door in a split minute and if he didn't like it, he could leave with them. I have not had to do that yet. DH is honoring my request for respect.

You are right when you say your DH will tire of doing everything concerning his DD. My DH has come to understand how demanding SD and family are of me. I do not even offer them a glass of water, when they visit DH. I do not invite them to our home and have not for almost four years for anything, including holidays. I am civil, but treat them like someone I just met. My DH spends less and less time with them, doesn't even host them when they come to see him.

My DH was devastated that I disengaged and he no longer had me to hostess the entire family and keep it together. SD has caused so much hate and discontent within DH's family, nobody has gatherings any longer; you see it had nothing to do with me, except I was her SM. She has always hated and been jealous of DH and my marriage and loving relationship.

Just slowly back away and stop being the doormat. Take it slow and one event at a time. If you do not want to be present, you do not want to give a gift, or you do not want to hostess or cook for them, then don't! Just suggest that you all go out to dinner, so you don't have to cook. This is what I do, if I get pushed into making a decision on entertainment. I suggest we all gather at a nice steak house. If I decide the last minute to not go, I stay home and tell DH to enjoy the meal and visit.

You can set your own boundaries, without even saying a word to your DH or anyone else. You can work thru it, as it arises. This is what I do, even after eight years.

I do not care if my SD56 exists; that took years to not care what she said, thought, or did. I can't even tell you what she is doing today, yesterday, or ever; because I don't ask, I don't tell, and I don't care if she falls off the edge of the earth. Because she is as toxic a person as I have ever know; she is also a very miserable person. I don't need it and won't tolerate it ever again.

You stay here on Steptalk and vent and we will support you thru your disengagement. My 'good' days out weigh my 'bad' days now.; I love myself again and YES I have won in the end.

Just remember that you have chosen to disengage, therefore, you have chosen to be left out of DH and SD's relationship. You will feel lonesome and hurt, but you will heal if you let it go and move forward.

Good Luck and ((((hugs))))

SavvyKim's picture

I can totally sympathize with you, I am about to leave a relationship of 11 1/2 years because of him wanting his kids, their partner's, their partner's families constantly doing things with them. Most people on here know the story as it unfolded about my situation. Unless your partner backs you up, this will continue, my ex was all for his kids and whilst he could have me in the little box and bully me into every situation, everything was fine. As soon as I stood up for myself regarding his kids, that's it - he wanted me gone.

I am now looking forward to leaving him and moving into my new home in 2 weeks time, onwards and upwards x

SavvyKim's picture

I can totally sympathize with you, I am about to leave a relationship of 11 1/2 years because of him wanting his kids, their partner's, their partner's families constantly doing things with them. Most people on here know the story as it unfolded about my situation. Unless your partner backs you up, this will continue, my ex was all for his kids and whilst he could have me in the little box and bully me into every situation, everything was fine. As soon as I stood up for myself regarding his kids, that's it - he wanted me gone.

I am now looking forward to leaving him and moving into my new home in 2 weeks time, onwards and upwards x

12342004's picture

Thankyou all for taking time to comment
I am so glad I’ve found this
Just hope I can find a solution or at least the strength to move forward without feeling so bad!

12342004's picture

Just need to mention
When I confronted oh about knowing he been seeing them and buying stuff in secret
His answer was
You should get involved more!! Wtf??
Didn’t like being caught out
Admitted he does lots without me knowing

So it sounds like it’s my fault then?
For not doing more....

ldvilen's picture

I think this sentence would have been most accurate if it was worded as, "The family is very toxic and so in a way I’m used." Period. Rather than, "The family is very toxic and so in a way I’m used to them all calling each other . . ." . Man, I just hate it when some of these families, including DH (SM's own husband!), treat SM like their personal servant/ door mat/ scapegoat, you name it. I'm so sorry. This has gone on way too long. Pls. see a counselor and with her come up with a plan that works best for YOU, and I do mean for YOU, and stay strong.

12342004's picture

Thankyou
I had been considering a councillor but they never seem to advise they just listen?
I’d thought of asking dh if he would but truthfully don’t think he can see how and what he’s doing wrong
Whichever way I put it he always has good answer
Either he says I don’t do enough which is why I feel left out or he goes opposite and shouts the odds
They my daughters and I’m jealous! Ffs what a joke
I even try the tit for tat sometimes but that just makes me feel worse as it’s not my nature
But short of becoming the door mat - used that much then thrown on trash heap
I need to make the change for my own sanity
It will be a massive shock as I’ve never done anything like this before I have always done things to keep cart on wheels
I will actually become the bitch !
But to be honest I really can’t be arsed with them anymore
I’ve had to try really hard not to get attached to their kids as I know they would stop me seeing them
I no longer have to cope with the line “ they only kids”
They are adults with kids themselves
I hope to god one day they in my position with sd same as them - good god that would be fun to see!

12342004's picture

Sammigirl
Thank you
I almost cried when I read your message
I cannot believe the support I’ve received from this site
I wished I’d found it years ago
I would have helped an awful lot
For years I’ve kept quite so I don’t get branded the bitch but I now can see how badly I’ve been treated and I think most of it has been allowed by dh!
He was the one that should have made his kids respect me not endorse secrets and lies
What kind of example must that show his kids!
No wonder they treated me like shit for years/ he allowed it
Thank you
You will never know how grateful I am for all these supportive replies xx

sammigirl's picture

After I disengaged from my SD56; my DH was very upset and called me a "bitch". I looked DH straight in the eye and said to him, "Yes, I have become a Bitch. I wonder who made me a Bitch; you and your DD made me a bitch. You have both considered me a bitch, so now you have your wish, I AM ONE. Deal with it any way you can, but I'm here to stay."

I have not heard it again. Like you, I hate confrontation, but my DH and SD56 forced it and now they regret bringing me out of my corner.

Just take it slowly and handle it as you must. Don't let it take the good things from your life. Take care of yourself. If you want your marriage, keep it; all is fair in Love and War. Smile

CANYOUHELP's picture

I had to accept I can only control myself, even when knowing all too well what is likely going on behind my back. My husband is a doormat, he lets them walk all over him, without question. Consequently, they are rude to most everybody, but you can bet as the SM, I see the worst, since they too do not want me around, with a goal to destroy our marriage written on FB; they lack intelligence and class, as well.

He lives two lives, a different one with them, as he has not required them to include me. I gave them what they wanted, I am not "their" family, period. I refuse to be with them or around them until my husband straightens up his poorly bred brood; and, that is not going to happen.

This site has helped me, many of the posters who helped me grow and reflect are helping you now. You are not alone, that is how we all feel at first without this support. Many of us read your story and we live exactly what you describe, just different players.... Your feelings are valid, but you can only change you to create your own happiness.

One poster told me when I first posted, "You have to protect yourself, he's not going to." I have lived this belief ever since and, I am no longer disappointed, I just protect myself at all costs.

still learning's picture

"You have to protect yourself, he's not going to."

This is the sad reality that most SM's have to face; that their DH is not a knight in shining armor but rather an ostrich who sticks his head in the sand anytime skids are abusive to SM.

CANYOUHELP's picture

Still learning, so true.......not only disheartening, but sickening.....it is, however, for some of us, including the OP, reality.

SacrificialLamb's picture

My DH is "Chump Daddy." I've told him that before. Doesn't like it. But that's exactly the case.

Right after I met my OSD, she was almost 30, and announced to several people "I can get my dad to do whatever I want, including bail me out." She was marking her territory with me newly on the scene. I thought she sounded like a pathetic waste (and she proved me right on that one) but it really was a warning sign that I ignored.....my soon to be DH was Chump Daddy. Chump Daddy let his princesses do whatever they wanted, never disciplined them, buried his head in the sand, gave them ridiculous amounts of money at Christmas, bailed OSD out every other month from her credit card bills until I told him I was not marrying into that dynamic. The credit card bail outs stopped but it took over a decade for Chump Daddy to go away.

12342004's picture

Thanks guys
Just found out he’s bought her car now!!
He doesn’t know I know
A family member slipped it out thinking I knew

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Sorry to be late to the thread, but I suggest that each time he spends over X amount on the skids (you decide the amount), you withdraw the same amount and place it in a private account. If/when he complains about the dollar drain, you'll have documentation to back up your actions.

enuf's picture

Oh my goodness! He is going have you guys end up in a poor house or living in a tent under trees. I just do not understand how these dfa have such a need to please their dc. My ex would do the same thing, even though his ds has never been married, has no children, was working at the time he still gave him $150,000. paid for his rent, gym, cable and sometimes grocery bill and bought him cars. Still ex did not feel that it was adequate, he would also pay for mother's day and xmas gifts his ds gave his mother, mind you his ds was in his forties and ex was doing that. If his ds was lucky enough to get a date, ex would also pay for that. His ds also had a credit card that his df had given him for an emergency and one time that emergency was a big brand new tV. In the meantime, ex is buying day old bread, discounted old meat, those frozen meals in a bag because it was cheaper than buying meat for us to eat. He was also buying slippers for dress shoes because they were cheaper. One time, dh came very angry at me, raising his voice at me because he thought I made a purchase for $90, after I kept on telling him I had not, he looked at the credit card bill a little better and turns out he confused my charges with his ds, evidently his ds had purchased a new comforter and ex was fine with that. He never apologized for his behavior on that one.

I would insist that since he is able to buy his dd a car that you want one too. See what he says about that. It will also let you know where you stand in the pecking order, and if he does not buy you a car, you have some serious decision making to do.

12342004's picture

It not money- he has money and I don’t really go without
I work and have helped dh create a successful business
He can afford it but it’s not the point
The eldest gets everything she wants but the worst thing is I’m either not consulted or it’s done behind my back
It’s deceit and lies and that’s what I’m struggling with
Just because we can afford it doesn’t make it right
She is a spoilt grown up brat and the worst thing is they know dh will keep doing it regardless of my input
If it wasn’t for me he would have been on his Arse/ 2 bankruptcies
I kept everything going
I gave us new start
They forgot that bit

sammigirl's picture

If $$$ is no problem, then do as Exjuliemccoy suggested; set up your own savings account and deposit the same amount into it, for a rainy day.

You say you are not doing without OP; that's good, but save for a day you may be on your own.

If you begin giving to your own savings, maybe your DH will cut back a bit. If he doesn't, you can bump up your savings.

12342004's picture

What is gaslighting?
I wonder if that’s what Dh does with me
Everything his kids do there’s always an excuse
They could commit murder and he would find an excuse
My god they have done most things

sandye21's picture

"You should get involved more!!", "Either he says I don’t do enough which is why I feel left out or he goes opposite and shouts the odds", making it sound as if it is you. You then question yourself and your sanity. This is 'gas lighting'. He knows what he is doing is wrong but he is deflecting this on to you. It's all your fault that he is being used. Right!

My DH used to do this before I asked him for specifics. He would make vague statements about how I made SD uncomfortable in my own home. When I would tell him about some of the abusive things SD was doing he replied, "I didn't see it." I finally asked him to tell me specifically what I was doing to make SD uncomfortable - he couldn't come up with an answer. I then added that SD made ME uncomfortable - and I had witnesses.

The next time your DH says, you should get involved more ask him to tell you specifically how you should get involved so he stops being an ATM for his kids. In other words, deflect it back to him. He's the one with the problem - not you.

Oldfool's picture

I wouldn't bother to engage with the steps again. My partner's worthless adult 39 year old son sent him a text message yes2day saying 'after trust is broken, sorry is not enough'.

I COULDN'T CARE LESS. THE FOOL KNEW HE TOOK THE LIBERTY WITH MY KINDNESS WITH DISRESPECTFUL BEHAVIOUR TOWARDS ME,HIS FATHER, AND WAS HORRIBLE TO MY GRANDCHILDREN.

HE PROBABLY CANNOT GO ANYWHERE ELSE TO TAKE THE MICKEY.

NUFF SAID.....

Oldfool's picture

I wouldn't bother to engage ever again. My partner's worthless adult 39 year old son sent him a text message saying 'after trust is broken, sorry is not enough'.

I COULDN'T CARE LESS. THE FOOL KNEW HE TOOK THE LIBERTY WITH MY KINDNESS WITH DISRESPECTFUL BEHAVIOUR TOWARDS ME,HIS FATHER, AND WAS HORRIBLE TO MY GRANDCHILDREN.

HE PROBABLY CANNOT FIND ANYONE OR ANYWHERE ELSE FOR HIM AND HIS CROWD TO HANG OUT. MY HOME IS NOT A DOSS HOUSE, CLUB OR HOUSE OF ILL REPUTE....

KARMA FEELS GOOD......

IHSM's picture

Wow! I feel like I’m reading my life before my very eyes! I have 2 mini wives who indeed text ALL gawd damn day! From good morning to good night! He has racked up over 2,000 text messages within the last month. He used to transfer money into their accounts, but has now given them a credit card linked to his cards! He doesn’t know that I know and he can afford it, but wtf??? If I were to say anything it would be WWIII! These are truly indeed mistresses! Omg...I thought I was the only one living through this. I hope to learn a lot from this forum as I am built with anger and resentment. Does the ATM stop when and if they get married???? Please say it does!