You are here

Adult stepson

Michelle05's picture

Hi. How to deal with adult stepson (24) who rings his father every day or texts. We can be anywhere at anytime. He always needs to share his 'news' whether it be the same as the time before or 'stuff' he's read and learned of on social media. He has next to no friends except the online type (who aren't social fringes to him). He has 2 sons of his own and a partner who doesn't drive. He needs to branch out and find others to share his views and 'stuff' he reads online. He gets cranky if we can't be with him, or can't take his calls or return calls. Help!

Kes's picture

I'd be inclined to ignore his texts and calls and just let him get cranky - it's not your DH's problem.  He's an adult with a family of his own.  If it were me, I'd respond occasionally - say every few days or once a week - but definitely not every day.  Especially since it doesn't sound like his very frequent communications are particularly welcome. 

Harry's picture

Is out to dinner, at a movies, shopping ect.  He should not answer the text.  He should wait until night time to answer .  

it's not your problem that SS doesn't have a life.   You playing into SS willl never stop this, 

hereiam's picture

Well, does your DH respond to all of the calls and texts? Because the great things about phones, they can be turned off, ignored, and voice mail is available.

If your DH stops responding to insignificant communication, perhaps your SS will learn a thing or two about proper communication, like not every thought in his head needs to communicated.

It sounds like maybe they both need to learn about phone etiquette. Your DH should not be responding "anywhere at anytime", it's rude.

Baby Boy is just going to have to be cranky, life doesn't revolve around him. The sooner he learns this (should have learned it a long time ago), the better.

tog redux's picture

I'm not sure it's your place to control how often DH speaks to his son. You can let him know it upsets you if/when it disrupts your plans with DH, but otherwise, this is DH's problem (which he might not think is a problem at all).

captjacksprrw's picture

As I am working hard to learn, much of this problem is between you and DH and YOUR relationship.  Trust me, I get sick of my liviing at home SS28 texting his mom from upstairs to ask to 'run out' which is code for I don't want to drive; drive me over to Bojangles? 

In any case, you and DH need counseling and plenty of open and honest communication.  This is up to you to set the tone and for you two to define you marriage,.

tog redux's picture

That is the strangest thing - is he smoking weed in his room, or drinking? I can't think of any other reason why he wants her to drive him instead of just driving himself. Very weird.  How hard is it to jump in your car and drive to get food?

captjacksprrw's picture

LOL I agree.  In his case I really think it is years of being babied and not being forced to grow up and get some basic life skills.  DW did not want us to 'put pressure on him' so he did not get id drivers license until almost 26

still learning's picture

Sounds like the son should be talking to his partner and children rather than daddy all the time.  Oh well, this really is DH's issue to deal with. Completely withdrawl your attention from DH when he's texting skid while he's supposed to having time with you.  

MissTexas's picture

routinely send dad a text of "a squirrel" or any  other random inanimate object. For us, it was about, "I know I can insert myself into your life at any point and time I'm feeling needy and want your attention." Mind you, this person was closer to 50 than to 20 years of age, so this is not a "CHILD" we are referring to. Even DH said, "WTH? I hate those damned things. They're so destructive. Why WOULD SHE SEND ME A PICTURE OF A DAMNED SQUIRREL?" Because she's starving for "daddy attention" and it's kind of like when you were a kid, you'd say, "What's that on your shirt?" The person would look for whatever might be there, which was nothing, and then you'd say, "Made you look!" That's all it's about. Reminds me of when the kids were little and we'd go to the pool in the summer. There was always ONE kid that would constantly yell, "Mom! Mom! Watch me!" Then they'd throw a penny and dive down to get it. No sooner would they finish that attention seeking behavior, then they'd be onto the next, "Mom! Mom! Watch me swim across the pool." Exhausting, just remembering it. 

The behavior this SS is exhibiting is no different. This is the adult version of "Hey, watch me!" It's attention seeking behavior, and he has learned when I yank dad's chain I get attention.

Rags's picture

Your DH is half of the problem. DH needs to structure his interface with his kid.  Until he does, he is as much or more of the problem than SS is.