You are here

Adult SKID Netflix freeloading comes to an end

mathfed's picture

I used to post on this forum pretty regularly.  Posts were usually about my wife's youngest adult son who was a beast to be around.  Long story short, he became so abusive and hateful toward me that I've been completely disengaged from him for about five years.  Life is peaceful.  My wife maintains her relationship with him while I happily don't have one.  My wife and I have separate finances.  Things are much better than they were when her son was a wrecking ball on our relationship.

Like most folks, we have a Netflix account.  My wife's adult sons have been mooching from the account for years.  They've both had their own profiles on the account.  These guys are 30 and 23 years old.  I pay for the Netflix account.  It's bugged me for a while that I pay for Netflix access for her son who has been nothing but angry and hateful towards me.  A few weeks ago, I found a strange expense on my bank statement.  The only place that bank card was linked to where anyone else could get at it is Netflix.  I logged into my Netflix account to see that people had been logging in and streaming from all over the country,  They were streaming from New York, Virginia, Montana, and Utah.  I know that some of these places are where my wife's youngest son has online friends.  My wife has mentioned her son wanting to visit some of these places before.  My suspicion is that Junior has been giving out the account login information and his online buddies have been helping themselves to our Netflix.  

After finding all of this, I immediately changed the Netflix login password.  I signed out all devices.  I also deleted the profiles of my wife's two sons from the account.  They are grown men and can start covering the expense of their own Netflix.  I expected to hear gnashing of teeth once the freeloading came to an end.  I explained to my wife that I found a weird expense on my bank statement, logged into Netflix to see that people had been connecting from places we have no connection to, and so reset the password and signed out all devices.  There was no pushback from my wife.  I expected there to be some because she had been hooking her sons up with Netflix as long as we've been together.  She was fine with it all and understood.  She thought it was a good idea.  I'm sure she is getting a lot of whining from her sons about how they can't watch Netflix now, but she hasn't mentioned any of that to me.  I should mention that I also have two sons.  Neither of them has ever been on our Netflix account.  They have never even asked to be added to it.  We now only have two profiles on the account, one for the house and one for the upstairs guest bedroom.  

One more baby step in the SKIDs journey toward manhood. 

Shieldmaiden's picture

That's awesome. I am surprised you were nice enough to pay for the skids Netflix all these years, but no one can blame you for cutting them off. Its about time. They are grown ups after all (kind of.)   

I recently cut off my SD16 and SD18 from Netflix, which I decided to cancel because they are the only ones who watch it- and they log in at their BM's house. I also suspected they were giving out the login to their older sitster, SD20, who lives on her own. SD20 and I don't speak because she is not trustworthy and has lied and manipulated to get money from us before. 

So, yeah, I agree with you. Let these freeloaders pay their own way. The SD16 is always whining about our house is boring, so let her be right, for once. LOL. 

sandye21's picture

It's time these moochers grow up and pay their way - especially after the way they treated you.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

And nice to see you back.

Cover1W's picture

Good for you!  There's no reason they should have been on it in the first place. I cut off OSD14 after about 6 months and it was evident she wasn't coming back anytime soon. Get it from your BM, not me. I pay for it, no one else, and I get the control.

Rags's picture

My SS went totally self supporting when he launched.  We do buy him nice gifts upon occassion but he has no support from us and has never asked.

Good luck that this new direction stays in play.

caninelover's picture

SD25 Bratty McBratFace still mooches Netflix but I refuse to pay for it - DH does.  If he ever kicks her off then and only then will we pay for it from our joint account.

Well done!

Miss T's picture

Even when it's just a little bit of money, as when someone is poaching Netflix, stopping the outflow is like ... I don't know ... like stopping the dripdripdrip of the legendary water torture, or finally fixing the sock drawer that has been sticking every morning since the dawn of time. Little annoyances add up and take their toll.

DH carried his grown-ass, well-employed son on his cell phone account for way too long. I couldn't figure out if the cheapskate knew Daddee was paying his bill and just wasn't saying anything, or if DH actually thought this big, ugly dude needed a few extra bucks a month toward his cell plan. I do know that my relief when DH finally cut him loose was way out of proportion to the relatively minor financial damage he was causing.

Anyway, I get it. Well done, you.