You are here

59 yr old widow moves his 48 yr old daughter in his home

SlyMd's picture

I have a male friend that I have been seeing for approximately 6 months, we were friends first.  He lost his wife a year ago.  Recently he moved his adult daughter, he adopted when she was 9, into his home.  He told me about it the night before she was flying in.  The problem is she's 48 and he is 59. I am trying not to think the worse but his behavior is very strange.  First, he treats her like she is 12, I cant ask any questions about her....for instance, he called me and I'd asked where his daughter was and he proceeded to tell me in so many words dont ask him anything about his daughter....very defensive, why? As i look back, there are a number of red flags that now gives me the "oh, now I see" attitude.  Am I wrong for even thinking like this? 

advice.only2's picture

Yeah I don't think this is his adopted daughter, more like his online girlfriend that he is moving into his house. 

SlyMd's picture

sad but it is his stepdaughter...my gut tells me, this was an opportunity waiting to happen.  As I think back over the months, he'd started preparing his house, etc.  Acting really weird all of a sudden.

Thumper's picture

Years and years ago when a man was having an affair and when they were out and about, the introduction may be "OHHHH, this is my niece"

Tongues would wag.

Just saying.

Do you have his 'daughters' legal name?

Check social media and run her name thru data bases...lol

edit to add; (((HUGS)))) sorry your dealing with this. "dont ask me about my daughter" is your first red flag. Yikes.

CLove's picture

Yeah....young adopted daughter....hmmm.

Well, there is a 17-year distance between my father and I (he adopted me a long time ago) and at first folks would stare at us, but the whole dont ask me about her thing - total red flag!!!!

Rags's picture

Lol, the looks people give when a parent looks too young to have a kid of a certain age.

My mom and dad met as kids their families were very close.  They married when dad was 19 and mom was 17.  Mom was 19 when I was born.  When I was in my teens and 20s we used to get the stink eye looks when we were out and about. When I would notice it I would put my arm around her shoulders and she would put her arm around my waist or we would hold hands.  That would just piss off the idiots even worse and confirm their suspicions that we were a couple.

When there was an opportunity to get the point across I would fairly loudly say "Love ya mom!" then give her a big sloppy kiss on the cheek.  Occasionally that would bring laughs but also occasionally the scowls would just get worse.

My DW and my son (SS-27 who I adopted) enjoy the same kind of thing. DW was 16 when our son was born.  Even at 44 she does not look old enough to have a kid my son's age. They do the walking arm in arm and holding hands thing in public as well.

So far I have not aged to the point that our 12 year age difference looks odd.  I am fortunate to have a youthful beauty to share life with. 

Trying to Stepmom's picture

So he adopted her when she was 9...that would make him 20. I'm not sure about adoption laws everywhere but in my state, I think you have to be at least 25 to adopt. 

I had a friend that was in the process of adopting but he wasn't old enough yet so it wouldn't be final until he was old enough. 

This situation seems fishy to me too. 

piegirl's picture

Agree with all above - looks fishy, sunds fishy, go with your gut because there will be something fishy no doubt!!