You are here

3 Adult stepchildren making me feel left out

Cushtybert's picture

Hi everyone, I’m new so forgive me if I don’t know all the abbriviations etc yet

I have 3 adult “step children” I put that in inverted brackets as I’m certainly not a motherly figure , they made that clear from the start that was not how I was to be seen!
I’m at the end of my tether and I don’t know how to cope.
The eldest one who is 32 is so controlling, she sent me and my husband a horrendous text a few months ago saying that she was disgusted as she wasn’t in enough of our wedding photos, she hated the fact that we had a photo of myself my husband and my son and that she didn’t have one. The photo wasn’t a planned one as we were caught by our photographer as a spur of the moment one. When it was her wedding myself and my son weren’t in any of her photos I just stood back and watched while my husband and his ex wife had the photos done which I was fine with by the way as it’s her mum and dad. My long winded point is I suppose is that I’m only allowed to be part of the family on her terms only and when it suits her.
I’ve cooked endless meals for her and her husband and sat politely whilst I’ve been ignored in every conversation and never been invited to her house for a meal.
The middle daughter will say hello to her dad when we pop over and not a word to me, I make a point of saying hello and goodbye but if I’m lucky I might get a grunt back, her child is adorable though and I love seeing him, I’m not allowed to be called a grandparent which again is absolutely fine but she has been rude to me from the first meeting. The youngest one who is 25 is off travelling so I don’t know her as well but when she was around when she would come over she would completely ignore me.
I get ignored on birthdays and Christmas, they buy there dad a present but never for the pair of us, again this is ok I’m not expecting gifts but I think it’s pretty cruel to not even send A text to me on my birthday, . I always text them on there birthdays to say have a lovely day etc.
I’m at the point where I just give up, I feel damed if I do and damed if I don’t about trying to make an effort with them
Has anyone got any advice? when I first met my husband I thought how wonderful that he has 3 grown up daughters, I thought we might’ve been able to go out for coffees shopping etc, wow how wrong was I
Oh by the way my husband had been divorced from there mother for 10 years before I met him so I’m not responsible for breaking up there family.

notasm3's picture

Ignore the whores. Forget about having any relationship with them. They are not nice people. Just remove them from your life. Be civil if you just be around them - but forget about inviting them to your home. Don't bother with their birthdays, Christmas, etc. They have sent you a loud and clear message that you are not wanted.

Dovina's picture

Exactly "they are not nice people". Lifes too short wasting energy on trying to win over a lost cause.
It hurts, its not peaceful, or enjoyable. Occupy yourself with the family and friends who treasure you .

Cushtybert's picture

Absolutely, I’ve only confided in my closest friend about how awful they’ve been, I’m too embarrassed to tell everyone else and pretend we all get on great, I don’t know why

Dovina's picture

I get that! Unless its people who actually live this, they just don't get it. Its embarrassing almost. To outsiders its "you aren't trying hard enough" or "its his kids, its difficult on them" Ummm whats difficult is being in a crowded room of "family" and they subtly shun you or diminish you.
Best to lessen contact, and ensure you are treated with respect.

JM4ever's picture

I'm sorry your being treated that way,I know how you feel,.Until I found this web-site I thought I was alone in my sitituation. I have been with my BF for over 8 years and I have done everything possible to be there for his kids.I'm not married to their father but I have bent over backwards for them. For the last 2 years now I'm having to spend all hollidays with my family because I'm not allowed to be with my BF because they don't want me there. The bad part is he is ok with it because he said that they just don't like me and he is tired of trying to change their minds,he has 2 daughters one is 26 with 4 kids and the other is 22.The problem is their mother still won't except the fact that he finally left her after her 3 affairs. She still calls inviting him to family dinners and she even called him when we had a hurricane coming and told him that they need to get the kids together and go to her families house 300 miles away,I was living there with him when she did this. They have been divorced for over 9 years and we have been living together for over 7 years. He won't even go to my dads for fathers day just incase if the were to call or come by he would be here and available.Most of the time he has to call them or he sits here alone till I get home. I love him but I don't know if I can live this life with him on his adult brats terms.

SMforever's picture

If it's any consolation, I get similar treatment from my adult skids. They make a huge fuss of their father (and frequently ask him for money) but I'm just someone they say hi to when they walk in without ringing the doorbell.

DH was divorced for 12 years when we met five years ago. I've been civil and tried to be friendly and thoughtful in my actions toward his adult kids .. but it's always met with sarcasm or dismissiveness. DH thinks his kids are perfect and he doesn't see their attitude as lacking.

I have tried disengaging emotionally (meaning I try to just not give a toss what they do or say) but must admit their lack of acknowledgment of me, simply as a family member, sometimes makes me want to walk away. Why? Because their father never calls them out on their behaviour.

Example: SD gave us a photo for Xmas, one with DH and me, and each skids with their partners. Nice photo, taken at a family wedding. Last week, visiting SD's house, she had put the identical photo on her kitchen wall, but with me photoshopped out. Yes, deliberately removed me from the photo! My heart sank when I saw it. I mentioned it to DH when we came home, and he said he "hadn't noticed" the photo.

I could only think that she was trying to avoid her own mother's criticism because BM hates that her ex-husband (DH) is now happy. Maybe putting a photo of me in her house is too obvious and she fears angering her mother. In any case, I feel less than charmed by having to treat his special snowflakes as my own. And they can forget me as a babysitter when they pop out kids of their own!

The best way to cope is try to disengage in your thoughts and have a happy group of friends outside your stepfamily. Easier said than done, but hoping for acceptance as a stepparent is asking for disappointment. You are not alone,

Not sure if it's unique to the UK, but I find young adults here are two extremes. Either super caring or super selfish.

moving_on_again's picture

I would have said something about the photoshopping and put her on the spot. That's so incredibly rude!

Cushtybert's picture

Oh my goodness I can’t believe they did that with the photo, that’s disgusting. How on earth can people act this way what’s wrong with them????? I’m not surprised your heart sank I would be mortified. I’m so sorry to hear that what a horrid thing to do

queensway's picture

Cushtybert soon as I read you had 3 adult skids I felt sorry for you. My condolences. They know what they are doing. You need to just live your life and realize this is not you it is them. I know it is hard and you feel hurt. But they don't care, they are only thinking of them selves. My hope is your husband will watch your back and set them straight when they need it. That will make the difference.

Cushtybert's picture

I suppose I can laugh when people say to me oh 3 grown up step daughters how lovely, oh of only they knew how hard it was

Merry's picture

You need to find your voice. If they are at your table for a meal, you certainly get to join in the conversation. If they talk over you, you can simply say something like, "I'm sorry, I wasn't finished with my story," and continue on enthusiastically. If they start down memory lane, you can relate a story about yourself at a similar age or similar circumstance. But do not just sit there and stew.

Easier said than done, I know. Christmas at SDs one year consisted of hours--and I mean hours--of memory lane. Even SD's husband got up and left the room. Small house, nowhere for me to go. I was patient, then irritated. That's when I tried to introduce something from MY family and childhood. Oh HELL no, that wasn't part of the script. I was literally shouted down. They were playing out the movie in their heads, and my own memories and stories were very much unwelcome.

That happened exactly once because DH, who was a very willing participant in the memory lane game and in the shouting down of anything I had to stay, and I had a come to Jesus discussion about HIS rudeness to me, and SD's attention seeking from him. His lame excuse, "she just wanted you to know more about her." Oh hahahahahahahahaha. She was in a little bubble with her father all alone there and loving it. No intrusions allowed.

DH must have said something to her about it because it hasn't happened since. And SD made a comment after that about how "Merry doesn't like to talk about the past." I responded, "SD, I don't know what you're talking about, I love history and I even minored in history in college." She had no response. What I don't like is being invisible.

Cushtybert's picture

Your right I can’t believe I used to just sit there like a stupid timid little thing and not say anything, I’m so different now, I guess I was just trying so hard to please them that I put up with it, I don’t talk to the oldest one now, ever since she sent me those horrible texts I made it clear I want nothing more to do with her, if my husband wants to see her he has to go to her house, she hasn’t been over to ours since our wedding, if she ever did turn up I would walk out the room. I’m not putting up with anymore of there crap anymore

Merry's picture

I sat there silent too, more often than I should have. It's just so SHOCKING to be treated badly or ignored. This rarely happens for me anymore. (Gotta love DH that once he understands the issue he will support me. He just doesn't--or won't--see the issue until I tell him about it.) But now if I can anticipate a situation, I can have a thought prepared. But I'm terrible at reacting to rudeness.

SacrificialLamb's picture

You have come to the right place. Many of us felt alone until we joined this forum and saw that others are in the same boat. Many of us were happy about the prospect of a ready-made family that we would be part of, especially when there are grandkids! Oh no, those kids are nothing more than pawns to dangle in front of dad to make sure the skids get their way.

These three woman are upset about sharing their father with a 4th woman.

Forget about the dream of the ready-made family. Some of the kids may come around if they realize they are going to see their dad even less as a result. The most important thing is if your DH has your back. So many of us are because our DH's walked the fence between their new and old families trying to make everyone happy, which in the end made no one happy.

Stay away from them as much as possible. Read up on relational aggression. With three women, there will be lots of planning and plotting about what they can do to cause trouble. And men are not wired to pick up on this the way women are.

queensway's picture

These 3 woman are upset about sharing their father with a 4th woman. That just about sums it up.

Cushtybert's picture

Urghhh there like the witches of eastwick, there always slagging each other off behind there backs as well. My DH hates confrontation and does stay on the fence, he does however say that they act vile towards me and he hates it, he has spoke to them about it individually, not sure he’s brave enough to confront them when there all together!! He understands that I’ve given up now and he does support me on that, he has also told them that if they don’t buy us a joint gift for Christmas and ignore me again then he won’t tolerate that. I guess only time will tell on that one.
My family are all so lovely, I’m so envious of step families that get on I just guess we are the unlucky ones

bedazzled's picture

Exactly! You summed it up perfectly. Being here really does help to make you feel less alone.

sandye21's picture

Know that you are not alone - most of us have been through this treatment from Skids. A lot of us, including me have a DH who is non-confrontational when it comes to their kids. You are going to have to be the one to set boundaries with both the skids and DH. Inform DH that you will no longer place yourself in a position of being ignored or treated poorly, and fully expect mutual respect while they are in the home that you share with him.

I went through this for years with SD before putting my foot down. I disengaged. There are several degrees of disengagement. Sometimes it means ignoring them as they do you. Sometimes it means they stay away from your home, you refrain from going to family events and DG goes to visit them away from your home. For all of us who have disengaged, we have simply taken the Skids out of our heads.

When we disengage many of our spouses will 'gas-light' us. They will say they didn't see it or that you are too sensitive. The photo-shop incident is too obvious to let go and seems a bit malicious. Sure, SD may be worried that her Mother may see the picture but then take it down all together.

This isn't about you at all. You are just a convenient whipping post/scape-goat for problems that originated a long time before you came into the picture (Sorry for the pun). Your DH should be the one to clue his kids in that you and your marriage are his top priority but if he is anything like my DH he won't have the courage to do it. So you have to think about what makes you happy and let them take a flying leap.

Cushtybert's picture

Thank you so much for all your replies, it’s so nice to know I’m not the only one in this boat but isn’t it sad that we’ve all been through this .
I have spoke to my husband about this, he completely understands that I am keeping myself to myself now, the eldest hasn’t been to our house since we got married, my husband goes to her house. I’ve blocked her number on my phone so she cannot send me anymore horrible messages. He speaks to them all to keep the peace but he isn’t as close to them anymore so he has my back that way, I keep encouraging him to have a relationship with them all as after all they are his daughters even if they are vile human beings.
I guess part of me is grieving for the fact that I had this lovely relationship in my head that we could be a nice family unit, they’ve certainly crushed that dream.
I’m so glad I have found this forum, no doubt I will have plenty of rants on here about them all!!

queensway's picture

i can relate. It does get better when you take care of your needs instead of what you thought it was going to be. Just stay strong in your marriage. HUGS

Cushtybert's picture

Thanks, it would be so easy to argue over them, I hate the fact that I still get so wound up by it all, it’s the eldests ones birthday next month, I’ve told him not to put my name or my sons name on her birthday card but I know he will, I hope she realises it’s nothing to do with me though

SacrificialLamb's picture

You will get over grieving for the lovely relationship. I was close to my 2 sgkids at one time; I have not seen them in over 2 years now, and am doing just fine. I was sad at first; now all I feel is relief. I have no use for that drama in my life.

Cushtybert's picture

Such a shame, good for you though that you don’t have to put up with any more drama

notasm3's picture

I was divorced with no children for decades. I thought it would be awesome to acquire some GKs via marriage. How wrong I was.

DH asked me to try to accept his son as his second wife despised him. Well I tried but his son is truly a worthless human being. Pond scum.

But I did try for a few years. I did a lot for SS, for his GF and their child. Only to be brutally betrayed. Ss32 is who he is. He’s not going to be a decent human being at least in my life time.

So I have now removed SS, the GF and yes even the child from my life for the past year. DH is free to see them as he wishes. It’s working beautifully as far as I am concerned.

ETexasMom's picture

We have the same step daughters! What keeps me sane is to remember I didn't marry them. I married my husband. I am not their mother and I don't even consider myself their stepmother. They refer to me as "dad's wife" therefor that's what I have become. The only thing I am concerned with is my husband. They don't like something oh well they need to tell him. If they try to complain to me I send them to him. At first he got annoyed with this but once he realized me not dealing with them or catering to them made me happier and therefor our marriage happier he started handling them. When they come to visit he grills out and I will help with the fixings. That way I'm not their servant I am his helper.

Stop thinking of yourself as anything other then your husbands wife. You married him to be his wife not their step mother. He is your only concern.

CANYOUHELP's picture

You do have to know when it is hopeless. You learn your happy family fantasy was only that to you. You thought they could like you, most people really do. Only...no, not happening, not this time, for most of us- never.

They are not nice people, and they have a history of it; not just to me. That likely applies to your case, as well. But the blame lies with my DH who allowed them the power to treat me like the bas.....d family member to be loathed and ignored, regardless of attempts I made to be included. I owe DH nothing. I owe them nothing.

Neither do you. Find your peace by never putting yourself back into this bully triangle, affirmed by your husband . He is no parent, no father and a dismal failure as a husband to you, with respect to his enmeshed kids.

You must protect yourself. Nobody, including your DH will do it for you (the hardest thing to accept), but accept it and put boundaries in place to protect your own happiness regardless of who likes it or not....

You, nice lady, are not alone....most of us are living the dream...;-)

still learning's picture

"You must protect yourself. Nobody, including your DH will do it for you (the hardest thing to accept)"

^^Yes, it is such a dark feeling to know that your own husband will allow his children to bully, disrespect and abuse you. DH would sit with his head down looking at his phone while ss32 was saying nasty disrespectful things to me. DH said nothing but just shut down when ss32 came over one day and was screaming at him and throwing things around. DH just allowed all of it. And DH wonders why his son is such an @ssh*le who can't keep a job or a girlfriend.

I hate this part of steplife. A lot of us have weak husbands who won't defend us for fear of losing their kids even though the *kids* are in their 30's and beyond.

Acratopotes's picture

You are a stranger to them, they ignore you, ignore them back, you married their father not them. Stop texting them in total.

Stop inviting OSD for dinners, she's a grown woman... if you invite them for dinner, make sure it's all 3 skids on one night with Daddy, then there will be spouses you can talk to, and these family dinners only every 2nd or 3rd month.

If DH invites them over, DH needs to do the cooking,

SImply disengage from these woman, they are not your friends, they are nothing to you, you are nothing to them... you are trying to hard simply ignore them. Make sure you have your husbands attention and that he knows.. your birthday he will be there, his birthday will be for the 2 off you, you are the wife, you host his birthday, not one of his daughters, this goes for Christmas as well, you are the wife you host.

disrestep's picture

Advice - Here's what worked for me: - Laugh it off.
- Just knowing I am a good person and do not have to put up with the hatefulness the 3 adult steps I have had to deal with.
- Don't expect adult steps to come around and want to play happy family.
- Talking to your DH and being able to express how you feel.
- My DH dealt with the adult steps when they were nasty to us and me after a while. Whenever I would try and defend myself the adult skids would be even nastier to me and my DH. They are my DH's brood, not mine. So, why should I have to talk to them when they are hateful?
- Having my Dh on the same team and him being able to understand where I am coming from.
- Being supportive and empathetic of my DH. My DH would like a happy family, and feels bad his brood is nasty. Listening to DH when he needs to talk about them helped him. He doesn't talk about them much though.
- Presenting a united front with my DH that we are not going to be disrespected by the steps or anyone.
- Knowing our home is our sanctuary. Our home is not ever going to a crashing pad, hotel, restaurant or bank to the adults steps or the gskids. Never-ever. They are and will never be given keys to our home or alarm codes - Never.
- Disengaging from the adult skids. Not giving them the time of day. Why should I? They hate me and made that clear. No holidays with them, no parties of theirs, no vacations with them, no gift buying for them or the gskids. They have not appreciated anything I have ever done for them.
- When busy-body relatives of the skids that have been brainwashed by the skids try to butt into our business, ensuring DH sets them straight with the fact the adults skids are not as perfect and nice as they pretend to be. These adult skids have done nothing but put me down to DH's relatives.

still learning's picture

"when I first met my husband I thought how wonderful that he has 3 grown up daughters, I thought we might’ve been able to go out for coffees shopping etc, wow how wrong was I."

You remind me of me when I first married DH. I was so optimistic and thought "oh this will be easy, ss's are grown we can all be friends and the youngest has kids so I'll get to play grandma."

Reality is that ss's are emotionally stunted adults who never got over the divorce or the hope that DH and BM would get back together. I was seen as an intruder into their family even though DH and BM were divorced 10 years before. ss32 (the oldest) was the worst and acted like a jealous child because I had minor children living with us. DH tried to assuage his own guilt and *equalize* things by treating ss and I the same. Anything DH did for me he also did for ss32. Paid his bills, gave him money, tried to move him in... DH treated me very sterile when in their presence. It was extremely confusing to me for the first 2 years of our marriage. I had no idea how to navigate step family dynamics. Counseling helped me, I went DH didn't.

I then disengaged largely w/out talking to DH about it, just stepped back and handed the responsibility of his relationship with his children back to him.

"I’m at the point where I just give up, I feel damed if I do and damed if I don’t about trying to make an effort with them."

They've shown you that their relationship is with their father and you're just an annoying inconvenience. A 32 yr old woman getting jealous about your son being in a photo and not her is pure immaturity. Another child in a photo with HER father, blasphemy! ss26 is a married man with his own kids and is weirdly jealous of my 11yr old. Anytime they're around each other ss26 regresses into a snotty teen and tries to start an argument with him. It's really weird so I try to keep them apart. They're jealous of any attention DH gives to my kids or I. Thank god I disengaged and dh mainly deals with his own offspring.

Stepaside-1987's picture

For a second I thought this was my post! Exactly my situation. I have had to sit at a table and listen to memory lane. Every time we are all together it is conversations that only include DH. The Sgrandkids do not acknowledge me except to play games or ask for something to drink. But I never get a thank you for any gifts etc.

I have disengaged by not calling. Not texting. Not initiating any contact. Not buying gifts or cards, etc. That is all on my husband. Valentines came and went. I used to try and invite the ones near by for lunch, etc. - never wanted to be a mother to them. I have kids, don't need anymore...just wanted a friendship and respect. I stopped asking my husband how they are doing, if he wants to invite them out to dinner, etc. I don't even try anymore - period.

I also thought since they were adult stepkids - they will see that I treat their father with love and respect and they will respect me in return. NOPE! They will send group texts that include BM and I am always excluded. They act as if they are still one big happy family despite the fact that the BM has someone else in her life. Oh and believe me, I have noticed the difference in how the BM's husband is treated versus how I am treated.

This forum has helped me to realize it isn't me and that it is okay for me to only focus on me, my kids and my grandchildren. Their loss not mine - I tried - they didn't.

Cushtybert's picture

Oh my goodness the same is happening to me about the group texts!!!! The eldest one cannot understand why my husband - her dad dioesnt want to join in with one that there all involved with with their mother!!!
Jrghhh honestly it’s brilliant to know I’m not alone but can’t believe we’re all going through this.
The one with the kids couldn’t understand why I couldn’t babysit the other day, she never asked me she asked her dad to ask me, she’s got my number she obviously couldn’t be hassled to text me so I said absolutely not. Nothing against the kids I love them but I am fed up of being a walkover, if she can’t be arsed to ask me herself then I can’t be arsed to help.

sandye21's picture

I went through this for decades with SD. It makes you feel like they think you are not worth the bother of asking - just using. Of course, it is all your fault if you have something else lined up when they want to dump their kids or animals on you. What I find strange is that I thought I owed it to DH to drop everything to placate the skids because it was important to him maintaining his relationship with them, but he didn't seem to think he owed it to me to have my back when SD was steamrolling herself through our lives or to insist she personally ask me for favors.

This is why I wrote that you have to start thinking more about yourself and expect DH to value your life and your time and your marriage as much or more than the skid's wishes. When I started to expect mutual respect from everyone things really changed. Your DH is no longer married to BM and should not be involved in text groups with her. If your SD can not understand this, too bad. Some Skids will never accept the concept of mutual respect with SM. I haven't seen my SD in 7 years. But again - too bad.

soccermom830's picture

I too deal with the group texts but it's supposed to be ok since my fiancé blocks his ex wife. I think it is the concept though - that he won't say a word to them about it and they pretend they are all still one happy family. I feel it is inappropriate since it is only for daily selfies of themselves anyway. I also feel this is odd - adult daughters sending almost daily selfies of themselves when their facebook is already cram packed with them. I don't get it. I don't think I would be doing that if I was their age. it's like look at me dad - look at me!!! geez, so annoying. I have been to counseling though and she didn't find it odd. saved them time for sending texts to everyone separately. maybe if he said something they would stop their daily need for self absorbed attention. ugh

Cushtybert's picture

So In latest news of my dramatic skids the youngest one who is traveling has said about meeting up when she gets back as she feels she would like to get to know me as she said she hasn’t given me a chance and feels bad, how lovely I thought maybe I could have the relationship with one of them I thought like I had always hoped, was on cloud 9 for a bit after hearing this. Then bam the eldest one has kicked off she doesn’t like the sound of this and now the ex wife their mother has been in contact saying I’m not family why am I getting involved??!!!!!
What they hell is wrong with these people, sometimes I feel like I’m on some sort of wind up show, I keep looking for someone to jump out with a camera as I feel like this is some kind of set up... normal people don’t act like this right??????
I feel like messaging the youngest one back saying that would be lovely but let’s not bother as it might cause more drama then what it’s worth, honestly I don’t know Weather to laugh or cry at this. My husband is furious, he said he’s thinking about writing to each of his daughters saying they either except me as part of the family or he will cut them all off. As for the ex wife well I don’t quite know what to say about that .... apart from the fact I’m 10 years younger then her so maybe she a bitter old hag???!!!!!

sandye21's picture

At least your DH has your back. That's a biggie. I agree with you - contact YSD and let her know you are receptive when the drama cools down. Sit back and let DH deal with it.

Acratopotes's picture

I would not even bother answering .... sorry but rather listen to sandey lol....

I will simply remain disengage and work on my Husband to support me, if he's invited and I'm not he should tell them not coming without dragging me into it