You are here

20 year old SD being babied

Breakingpoint2013's picture

I am a 32 year old first time wife with a SD who is 20 years old. Before my husband (45 years old)and I got married, we were living in his house with his daughter. After a year, she started going to university in another town (where she lives on Campus) and my Husband and I purchased a small Loft (his pick, not mine, although I love living here) in the city. SD lives with her mom abut 20 minutes away from us since we do not have a spare bedroom (or walls for that matter) in the loft. Something changed in my Husband's demeanor since we moved here. My guess...he has guilt. Misguided as it is, since he has raised her since the age of 11 and she's an adult now. Here are the issues I am having:

- she and I get along and we have several commonalities, but are not close
- she treats dad like an ATM, does not work and has everything paid for by him (car, gas, university, clothes, food, phone, trips to Europe, spending money)
- every time she visits, he insists she spend the night
- he said that she does not have to ask or give me a heads up if she is spending the night in the loft because we are all "family"
- she always carries on like everything belongs to her father and is somewhat dismissive of my ownership of anything
- she fakes illnesses every time she wants attention from him and he falls for it (endometriosis, panic attacks, depression, stress)
- he lectures her about responsibility, getting a job, etc. all the time, but does nothing and simply reinforces her manipulative behaviour
- when she's with us, we have to watch the movies she likes (she still watches the Disney Channel), eat the food only she eats (she hates everything) and do what she likes because he can't say no to her

I am at my wits end. I am not really upset at her, as I genuinely believe that my husband is largely responsible. He has a misguided sense of guilt or something coupled with the fact that she is a spoiled child of divorce (parents split at the age of three). She is also not the sharpest tool in the shed and sometimes her and I have nothing in common to talk about. She is very immature and he simply fosters her behaviour and scold me for not bowing to "her" whims. They are mostly his whims. The straw that broke the camels back for me was when he said that she can come and stay with us anytime she likes and he does not have to tell me or give me a heads up. It's my house too. I didn't impose myself when I moved into their previous home; but now that him and I have a place together, I like to think that she can just say that she plans on coming over instead of showing up with an overnight parking pass in hand as she walks through the door. Not only is our loft not the best place for a guest, but it really dismisses my position in the marriage. I have never wanted children and since he is 45, he does not want any more. We both went into this relationship thinking it was a great fit. Except now I may as well have married someone with 12 year old because that is how he treats her. :?

Please Help!

oldone's picture

No way ANY husband should be scolding his wife - especially with respect to how she doesn't bow down and kiss the ass of a grown woman.

You are right - this is totally HIS fault. OMG - how can you even get dressed much less have sex with someone in the room with you?

He sees SD as a victim. Because of her "depression", "panic attacks" and "stress" and because he feels guilty that she can no longer live with him. Just to be clear, I never chose the loft. He did, and I love living here. I don't want to change my lifestyle just to accommodate someone who should already have a life of her own, or at the very least have plans to.

Also... her "depression" "panic attacks" "endometriosis" and "stress all come and go. When she gets what she wants they disappear. Magic! And he is completely blind to this. :O

nothinforya's picture

Did you contribute financially to the loft purchase? Do you work and have an independent income? I ask because he may consider the loft all his if he put out all the $$, and therefore thinks you can't veto his decisions regarding it. If you have your own money, I would suggest that you simply go stay in a hotel while she's in your space. He can enjoy some quality one-on-one time with his little precious, and you can have some peace and quiet, away from her complaining, and eat what you want and watch what you want. The two of you don't have to be together 24/7 to have a happy marriage. SD will get older, and eventually she may even have a boyfriend (or girlfriend) whose company she enjoys more than daddy's. Is this a hill to die on? That's always the question I ask myself. Your answer may surprise you, if you can separate the issues sufficiently to make a decision that is best for you and your future. I don't think it is reasonable to continue the current arrangement where you have no privacy and no say when or if she visits. The options are for him to go elsewhere to visit, or for you to go elsewhere when she visits. Maybe do some of both. At this point, changing the dynamic that exists between them will be very difficult, maybe a lot more trouble than it's worth in the long run.

At the time of sale he put a large chunk of the money into the loft (equity from his previous home); but not because I don't have any income or savings. In fact, I make a very decent, above average income; and have contributed to an agreed upon potion of the mortgage since we purchased it two years ago. If he contributed to it solely, like he did with the previous home where I lived for a year with him and SD, I would not have a leg to stand on. I simply ask that SD extend the same courtesy I extended with her when I lived with them. Him and I own the loft equally. To that topic...we also purchased a rental property together recently. My salary helped him secure the mortgage and I put only $5000 towards the deposit. He alone pays the mortgage and keeps the rent cheques that we get from the renters. A few weeks ago he causally mentioned that he plans on giving the rental to SD one day. No discussion with me. :O I decided not to say anything at the time, because aside from the $5000 I haven't put much else into it and my name is on the deed despite this.

If I suggest staying in a hotel when SD is over he will likely have a fit and accuse me of not wanting to spend time with her. I try to avoid her when I can, but I also put time in with her when I can, just to buy some good will. I totally get what you're saying about this being the right hill to die on. It's not. And definitely not now. Maybe eventually, but not now. He wants us all to be together, and enjoy ourselves. I always encourage him to spend time with her, I just don't always mean to be included. There are times, that even SD prefers to have quality time with him alone.

Oh he wants a real house. He's already said, when we move into a house, she gets her own room. I dread this. How long is it supposed to go on? 25? 27? 32? I know I can't say "No, your daughter can't live with us!" It's one thing if she was a responsible kid, but she's not. She's a free loader because her parents have allowed her to be. Someone like that is not moving out in forever. Guaranteed. Also she has no boyfriend and she's never dated. She watched the Disney Channel and all kinds of other programming that she sound have out grown and a long time ago, I noticed that she is very immature for her age. More like 13 than 20.

At my breaking point's picture

Read my thread about 18 years....If you don't say no, you will end up just like me. If I would have said no, I wouldn't be contemplating divorce right now. I am years into what you are already going through. Believe me, if you don't stand up for yourself, you will end up being a bitter, resentful and angry person....like me. Do you really want this for yourself??

Thanks for the replies and support. I breaks my heart because he's such a smart man and loving person in all other aspects; but as soon as SD in in in picture (or conversation) he loses his mind. I can't believe how someone as bright as him turns into a this weak personality that lashes out at me when it comes to her. Sad

He says that I don't make an effort to nurture her or ask her to spend more time with us. The truth of the matter is I have little respect for her with the free loading and manipulations, but I also don't have much in common with her (I don't share these feelings with him). She's an adult and so am I. We are friends, possibly one day we might become close, but I keep telling him that he cannot force it. I always encourage him to spend time with her, but I don't need to be included each time. There will be occasions when I will want to join, but I don't need to be there always. She has two parents and I don't need to fill any holes that don't exist.

Also.... the other day, he said to me "So if I die tomorrow, are you just not going to look after her?" :jawdrop:
What the eff am I (or anyone) supposed to say to that. And shame on him for asking. She has a parent + other family, and she's an ADULT. So if he dies tomorrow, her and I can stay friends or whatever we are at that point, but that will be the end of it. What am I supposed to do? Bring her under my wing and support her lifestyle while she does nothing? Even if she was a different person who worked and was responsible, the onus is not mine to care for her. I never wanted children and that's one of the reasons why him and I were so good together. So how dare he suggest I should want to look after his adult daughter once he's gone? Sad

This is the resounding advise from my friends. For now, it might be the right path, but I'm not sure if my sanity will be intact by the end of this.

Willow2010's picture

"So if I die tomorrow, are you just not going to look after her?"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WOW...Just WOW.

oldone's picture

This is your husband. You should not have to constantly lie to him to hide your feelings.

Now I'm not in favor of just blurting out "I hate her" everyday. But when he accuses you of not liking her why deny it? You can say something like "We don't have much in common or she's not my favorite person to spend time, I don't really enjoy her company" rather than saying "I'd rather spend time with a rabid monkey than your hideous daughter".

And yes you can tell him that it is not acceptable for her to live with you forever. He's acting like this is a 4 year old.

I own our home with no mortgage. So yes I do feel like I have more "rights" to it than DH. SS28 can NEVER move in. But I would never tell DH that my sister, niece, nephew, etc. was moving in and he had no say.

When he asked you if you were going to look after her after his death you should have just said no. period. dot. And then ask if she is going to look after you in your old age.

It sounds like you are afraid of his anger. Do not let him manipulate you with threats of rage. That is psychological abuse.

Not afraid...but like @nothinforya said in a previous post "is this the hill you want to die on?"

Husband is not angry, but argumentative, blind (figuratively) and unreasonable. I want to say what's on my mind but I am worried that it will be a bell I can't unring. I'm not ready for this marriage to end today over this. Maybe eventually it will, but not today. You are very right about what I should have said when he asked about looking after SD and if she would do the same for my in my old age. Too late now. I hate having to lie to him, but his ridiculous reactions always paint me out to be the wicked stepmother. And there's is very little I can get away with saying to someone who doesn't sympathize with me (such as everyone on this website) to not make them see me like the wicked step mother.

oldone's picture

Will he really divorce you if you ever say "no" to him? That's not a healthy marriage. It's emotional blackmail and abuse.

Honestly, I don't know. I suppose I am working on the assumption that he would? Or it would eventually lead to that? It's not a healthy marriage, and I really only started to see that recently in arguments with DH.

We haven't even gotten to the part where she is living with us. That's what kills me. She doesn't live with us and he thinks I don't need to be told when she spends the night or if she visits, because "we are family". The urge to just say NO is always there. I will at some point? Not sure the time is now. I am also afraid of losing all I have with him. Take her out of the equation (or rather his ludicrous treatment of her)and we have a good relationship. But a nice yacht with a leak is still a sinking ship, I know.

You made a good point/statement with "Yes, I knew you had a daughter but, I assumed you would be parenting her appropriately and in accordance with her chronological age. She is not a child she is an adult".

nothinforya's picture

You are entitled to speak up for what you want and need. If you refrain from doing so out of fear that "he will get upset", then you are creating the future that you DON'T want. I assume that he was okay with your not wanting to bear cild(ren) with him. In fact, you said you never wanted children at all. It is amazing that he now thinks you should love SD like your own. Was he not listening when you talked about that? He should be able to grasp that you are not a person who is interested in being a parent. At all. Not ever. Not to his daughter. Not to anyone.

Keep in mind that you will never get what you fail to ask for, or insist upon, if necessary. Tongue-holding is a useful skill, but you may be overdoing it. You can prepare a plan of action so you get what you need, and he can get over himself and recognize that his wife is an adult person with a mind of her own, and different from himself. You are too young to spend your life with an argumentative unreasonable man.

Drac0's picture

>when she's with us, we have to watch the movies she likes (she still watches the Disney Channel).<

And she's 20!?!?! No wonder she can't get a job! That channel actually sucks the IQ right out of you. SS watches that show and you can actually see the IQ drop on his face. I'm totally serious! His eyes glaze over, his mouth slowly drops open and he starts drooling over himself.

Sorry I don't have much in the way of advice, but I am seriously considering getting that channel removed from my cable package.

hismineandours's picture

I don't even understand. She only lives 20 minutes away, right? So why would she EVER need to spend the night? At 20, I lived with my fiancé. I didn't do overnight visits with my mom and dad even though I am very close to them and love them very much. Your dh can't even figure out if she's a guest or a resident. If she's a guest, then no she is not free to just show up anytime she likes without the permission of both homeowners. But if she is a resident who is free to come and go-then she doesn't get catered to by watching her shows, eating her fave foods-instead life would just go on around her.

Perhaps you could share that you are uncomfortable with her spending the night because you might like to have some intimate time with him? Perhaps you could purchase a nice new nightie and wear it next time she is over. Perhaps SHE might even begin to see that her "sleeping over" is inappropriate

clydella's picture

He scolds you, hold up wait a minute, put a stop to that right now. He does not respect you as a woman or his wife if he treats you like a child. My DH told me one time jokingly, that if I got a speeding ticket (yes I'm a speeder) he's was gonna take his belt off and whoop me. I looked at him and said ok Dadddeee in my best SD voice. Then I proceeded to light him up and explain to him that I was not a child and he better never speak to me like that again. Ooh I get mad just thinking about it and he was joking.

Stand up girl, declare your womanhood and don't be a doormat for this man & his child, cause if she acts like that at 20, she's still a child. Your home is a safe haven, your DH should respect you in it and your say about what happens there. And, whether he wants to believe it or not, she's a guest and you know the saying about guests, Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.

Merry's picture

I left a marriage to a man with an anger issue. So I learned not to speak up. When things went wrong as they always did (didn't matter if I actually had anything to do with the event), it would be my fault anyway. Sort of like being a stepmom.

Then I married DH. We have been married for 8 years. Only now am I learning how to speak up for myself, especially regarding his children. I ask for what I need. I tell him when something isn't working for me. I am open to compromise, although I do have line-in-the-sand stances on some things. So does he.

I am not saying it is easy. It's still tough as can be for me sometimes, and I'm not a role model for success. But I have vowed to myself (and to DH) that I will not be dishonest by saying something is ok when it isn't. Even if you don't SAY something is ok, by not speaking up about it you give your tacit consent (and silently seethe). You will eventually implode if you don't speak up for yourself.

Just to be clear, I've spoken up many time. And it only ends in arguments that I lose. he's not angry, just unreasonable and only when it comes to SD. I will eventually implode. I just feel that eventually SD should move on with her life right? perhaps not based on some other threads I've been reading on here.

AlreadyGone's picture

Ok, basically, you are being forced to walk on eggshells with the man you share yourself, your bed, and your life with???? All b/c he can't detach himself from his ADULT daughter? This may not be the hill to die on but, it should be the hill to throw them both off of. (Hopefully, it is a steep one, lol.) Don't get me wrong, in life there are battles that need not be waged.... except in matters where one person is being told that their feelings, thoughts, and opinions have no value as part of the group as a whole. He says, 'we are family' yet he gives you absolutely no recourse other than HIS way.

My marriage was a good one. We got on famously, had the same likes and dislikes, etc. We only ever argued when it came to his kids (or the BM.) More to the point, the way he elected to parent them. Which was to be an open wallet and not to have any expectations of them to grow into productive and responsible adults. He took the term parent as a noun and I took the term parent as a verb. In the end, I found that I had sacrificed myself into a hole and my life was not my own. I gave him ample opportunity to turn things around with us and he obviously didn't see 'us' as the priority. So, I left and didn't look back. You have to ask yourself what you're getting out of this deal. If you are the third wheel instead of being the second wheel that balances the load, your marriage will fail. HE has to see things that way too, or else you will be the one compromising yourself for the 'family' that only he and his ADULT daughter are a part of. Perhaps some kind of counseling would be beneficial. IDK. Life on the other side is pretty good so don't let fear of being on your own keep you rooted in unhappiness too long. Bitterness is never a good quality, lol.

Wishing you all the best on your path to sanity. Smile

walk on eggshells? Yes
he can't detach himself from his ADULT daughter? Yes
throw them both off of a steep hill? YES

How long before you left and didn't look back?

AlreadyGone's picture

It took 9 years to come to terms with the fact that I would always be last in his life. I tried picking my battles carefully, holding my tongue, compromising myself silly, disengaging totally, etc. In the end it was clear that there was just no room in his life... for me. My opinions, thoughts, and feelings did not matter in the least. Only THEIR happiness was important. My resentment grew to levels that were downright scary. It's funny b/c I always thought that once the SK's became adults it would somehow get better. It got worse. When you hand children everything, they appreciate nothing. They don't suddenly become decent human beings when they turn 18. My Xh couldn't understand that concept so when his 20+ year old decided that I had no place in OUR home, I knew it was time to go. Much like yours, the maturity level just wasn't there b/c no one had taught either of them what it was to be a responsible adult. They were children who were allowed to 'play adult' when it suited them and when it didn't, they could always rely on dear old dad to clean up their messes. And clean up their messes he did. Often times, even cleaning up BM's messes via the ADULT kids. While they didn't live with us, they were allowed to establish themselves above us in OUR home. They were given keys to come and go as they wanted (I changed the locks 4 times in 2 years, a battle I did win.) Appointments were changed to suit THEIR schedules, vacations were built around THEIR schedules, etc. If something nice were purchased for us (by us), THEY immediately demanded that THEY get something too. Now, this wasn't a 100% of the time thing but, it was enough to keep me feeling unbalanced in my marriage with him. At least your DH is point blank about his expectations with you. My Xh would play the game of ACTING like my thoughts meant something and constantly telling me that I was right in my feelings of how children should be parented. Then he would go behind my back and do whatever they wanted him to do for them. I probably only caught him doing this in the last year of my marriage (while I was disengaged and not caught up in all the drama) but, I now know that it was going on the entire time. Say whatever he needed to say to shut me up, then give them whatever they wanted. THEY had all the power and I was simply.... invisible. I walked around on eggshells that last year of my marriage b/c if I didn't keep that twisted painted on smile, he would get huffy and then give me the silent treatment.... sometimes for weeks at a time. Ironically, NONE of THEM ever got the silent treatment (not even that dastardly BM.) Only I earned that respect (sic). How dare I say/think ANYTHING negative about his little darlings. He would actually complain to me that they only called him when they wanted something and if my eyebrow raised 1 centimeter at his words, I was the enemy. That is no way for anyone to live. Not when a marriage is supposed to be based on love, mutual respect, and teamwork.

Fast forward 1 year. I am alone but, never lonely. I have found my voice again and I enjoy using it, lol. I will probably always wonder what might have been but, I don't look back with any regrets save one.... that I didn't leave sooner. I never knew how unahppy I was until I found my happiness without him, without THEM. On my own, with my bestie trotting along with me (a nice rescue I picked out since I could never have pets while with him due to SK allergies) and my life is golden in comparison. Older, yes. Wiser, definitely. Also amazingly at peace for once.

I can't tell you what to do in your situation. You are the one who has to live it. I'll just tell you that you do have options, and if you're not the priority in HIS life, why should he or his ADULT D be the priority in yours? Don't you deserve to be on equal footing with your husband? Isn't that the least he can do for you? You have some sorting out to do. Keep posting and venting when you can. Perhaps the strong ladies here can be your sounding board until you decide what you want to do. I'll be watching out for your posts and rooting you on. Wink

Best of luck!

annoyedallthetime's picture

Sounds similar to my situation. Everytime the almost 19 year old stops by, my DH is begging her to stay over. Like she is a 5 year old girl again. She has never had a real boyfriend and she acts like a 13 year old. She watches stupid shows that a 13 year would watch. Its funny because both boys she's dated dumped her. And she was actually out of THEIR league! Just goes to show that it is her immaturity level and bad attitude.

Shannon61's picture

Your DH has enabled SD to the point of where she actually behaves as a child, but that's another matter entirely. The biggest issue here is your husband's lack of respect for you and your opinion. There's no way in hell anyone is coming into my home without my permission and my DH is fully aware of this and it's two-sided. I wouldn't do it to him either. It's a matter of respect.

Years ago I moved in w/DH and SD(25) at the time. I did it against my wishes, but he wanted me to bond w/her. . didn't happened. We were in a competition. She was mean, evil and malicious. After 3 years of her foolishness I forced her out because I felt she wasn't moving fast enough because DH had made things a little to cushy for her.

The plan was she'd stay with us until she finished school, then she'd find a job and get a place. She finished school, pretended to look for work for a year, found work and was in no hurry to move out. She paid a pittance in rent, went on weekly shopping sprees, and came and went as she pleased.

DH told her she could stay as long as she needed to save money for her own place. I was miserable and threatened divorce. I hated coming home. I put my foot down and made him charge her a real rent. I took him by the hand to our bedroom every chance I got so she'd get the message we wanted privacy. She finally got the hint and found a place in a matter of weeks. To this day, I feel like I was cheated out of the important first years of marriage because of her evil BS.

Fast forward to today. SD and I don't have a relationship. Just this morning I asked DH how he felt that SD and I didn't have a relationship and he said he wished we'd both make an effort. We . .wth. I reminded him of how evil she treated me and how she excluded me from her wedding planning even after I gave her some resources to help. I reminded him of how his sisters threw her a bachelorette dinner and how my feelings were hurt when I found out because I hadn't been invited. I reminded him of all the malicious and evil things she did when she lived here. To be honest, she should be lucky I have anything to say to her. I told him I'd made the effort, but she's made it clear that she didn't want a relationship and at this point, I didn't care. DH now realizes the error of his ways in spoiling, coddling and enabling her. It hurts him that we don't have a relationship, but she is the monster he created . .not me.

Maybe one day your DH will see the error of his ways, but even if he doesn't you have to stand up to him and demand respect. Your opinions and thoughts matter. You are his wife and you now come first.

farmers wife's picture

So how do those of us in this situation help our DH see the error of his ways in the ridiculous spoiling of SD and lack of respect for us? When we aren't a priority? How do we get through to them? It sounds like a lot of us are in this boat.

I'm learning a lot just from reading this thread, thank you all.

sandye21's picture

We all go into marriage wanting to be cherished. When I fugured out I was not a priority in DH's life it was heartbreaking to say the least. It was as if he cut a cord and left me adrift to fend entirely for myself while he and SD continued in their close bond with each other. Year after year I waited for DH to see the light - I wasn't imagining things, I wasn't lying, I was worthy of his support. It didn't happen. To this day I don't really think he fully sees he was wrong in the way he mishandled things or that his priority should have been this marriage. But one day in the depths of desperation, I decided if he wasn't going to take action I had to. And I did. First I called SD and her husband on their obnoxiuos, sadistic and abusive behavior. Then I disengaged and banned her from my home. I made it cear I don't like SD, it's mutual, no more B.S. This was the day my life began again. My DH may never cherish me but now I know I do not require a man to fullfill my life.

Since we don't talk about SD there is no way he can accuse me of anything, and besides I have the courage to call him on it if needed. If he wants to visit her it's fine with me - except holidays. SD decided to punish him for not leaving me so there is not much communication between them.

Disengaging helps a lot. The 'way' is to help yourself. Do whatever it takes to raise the level of your self-esteem and self-confidence. Look in the morrior evey morning and tell yourself you matter, you are as important in this world and as deserving of mutual respect as anyone else. Funny thing - when I started respecting myself, I noticed DH began to treat me better.

farmers wife's picture

We do want to be loved, cherished, & respected by our DH. But we also do need to take care of & respect ourselves.

SugarSpice's picture

reread shannon61. sounds like guilt all the way. as long as you understand that SD will always come before you in all things, you will be fine.

otherwise, be prepared to disengage completely and have an emotional life of your own. you will never come first in his eyes.

remarried fathers have no guts when it comes to the skids. they are pushovers.

Hanny's picture

My SO doesn't understand why I don't reach out more to his daughters. I say they are adults 19 and 24, the road goes both ways. I told him I will never really bond with them, we won't be BFF's. The most he can want is that we get along and respect each other and that's what we do pretty much. They've complained about me in the past to him and he never squashed it, now we just don't talk about their issues. He recently mentioned going to Hawaii, saying he's love to take me there, but then quickly added that he'd love to take his daughters along too...then added take my daughter (33) too. I didn't say anything, if it ever really comes down to it, I would not go! I would ask him why he feels the need to take his daughters on a vacation afterall they are adults now. I know why, he can't justify spending money on just he and I, he would have to '
treat' everyone. And under those circumstances I would not go. Now I would love for my daughter to get to take a trip, she works hard and pays her own way (with occasional help from me, but very little). I can picture the trip now...he and his 2 daughters and me and mine doing separate things. Our daughters have only been in the same room on a couple of occasions, and his girls were pretty rude to my daughter, not talking to her at all. He still the 'guilty dad'.

Freshstart's picture

It is all familiar territory for me as well. Like your DH, mine is intelligent and the most wonderful man I have ever met but has severe blindness when it comes to SD17.

One thing I feel I did wrong that I would like to share with any step parent is that I applied my skills, passion and commitment to "fixing" things in the mislead belief that it would help. It has exhausted me. My SD17 is a lot like yours, difficult conversationally, stunted in maturation and hard work to be around. I worked so hard with DH organising driving lessons for her, promoting the idea of a part time job, insisting on some normal socialising. Every step was hard work with DH pushing back and it created so many arguments. Now that some of these things have paid off, DH uses them as "See how well she is doing." Unfortunately I feel it has created a feeling for him that he is going to prove how good his daughter is.

Do not do what I did. I got it wrong. It took so much out of me. SD17 has benefited a great deal from my interference in getting her first part time job and being pushed to have driving lessons however that was not my business or my job and it has now masked the underlying issues. DH resents me for it as well and trying to get these things moving caused so many fights and arguments. I did also once cave in and say that SD17 is hard work to be around. To this day I regret that because it was critical and I sympathise that no parent wants to hear that.

At least you can learn from my mistakes.

Be clear about your boundaries and speak up about those. Also I would have escaped a lot more (SD17 is 50%) but I am trapped with a small child to look after. If I wasn't I would get out at night especially. I do get out and catch up with other mums on the weekend which gives me a break.

SugarSpice's picture

@karmaqueen, your post was so horrible. it's a shame the wake up call came so late.

it's not about money, it's about guilt.

in regard to the OP, it sounds like a mini wife or mistress.

Exhausted_BonusMom's picture

OMG.....this is basically the EXACT SITUATION I am in!! Only my SD is 19, almost 20 and lives with us!

DH pays for all of her expenses as well, she goes to a University and is in a Sorority, she's extremely manipulative, expensive, spoiled and unappreciative. Entitled beyond belief.

DH allows her to do anything and everything she wants, she also is unemployed and without responsibility. We pay for gas, clothes, food, all college expenses etc. DH get's defensive if I say anything about SD and SD also has come to dismiss my authority, opinion or ownership.

I've been at my wits end with a grown child in my home who goes out and parties and does whatever the hell she wants, all while DH enables and encourages it.

BTW, she also controls the damn TV in the living room when we're in there!! Thank God she doesn't watch the Disney channel anymore but all she wants to watch are the same haunting shows over and over again.

step36's picture

Wow I thought I was the only one thinking and going through this. Great to know I am not going insane. :jawdrop:

step36's picture

My DH even gives SD23 beer when she is over even though she's not working full-time, terrible parenting :?

Amber Miller's picture

I read your post to my DH tonight. He commented on what a dis-service your DH is doing to his DD. I almost choked because my DH has done all the same things to his nasty, spawn, malicious brat of a daughter. Fascinating he could see it in another situation but not his own. This is coming from a guy who swooned over SD25 at the time (now almost 30 going on 12)and tried tirelessly to find new and exciting ways to please her. She is a nasty brat and now has a child she cannot take care of; she got pregnant on purpose to get attention. Anyway, several years ago, We went on a trip. While at our destination, my DH Was going to make my favorite pork dinner. What do you know, All of a sudden princess brat announces that she doesn't eat pork. This is the same bitch that had dinner at our house and was talking about the pork roast she had made for her boyfriend. So, daddy went to the store and bought the little skank what she wanted; damn brat. We rented a van to drive to our destination; it had a DVD player in it. Psycho princess got to watch a movie she wanted and blasted the sound while I was driving. On the way back, DH drove and told me when I wanted to watch a movie that princess didn't want to watch a movie and if I did then "I'd have to keep it down"; princess wanted to read. (She was 27 at the time of this trip). I was ignored the whole trip. It was 5 long days. We went to our favorite vacation spot but since we had princess brat along we had to do what she wanted. We went fishing. Usually my DH stays close by and congratulates me on my catches. This time we were float tubing while fishing. I was all alone in this big lake for hours. You got it, daddy spent his whole day paddling close to princess and only yelling my name to show me what a big catch she would get. When I would catch a fish, I'd yell his name and he'd just wave at me; he was too busy playing with his precious little spawn. We had hired a good friend as our fishing guide. Thank goodness he was there to talk to me. I paddled to shore and had lunch and a beer with him. He was shocked as he had never seen my husband ignore me the way he was. It was pathetic. This was back before DH realized what an ungrateful liar his DD was. He paid her rent, her car insurance and bought her a new car so " she could go to school". 6 semesters later and princess had yet to complete 1 class. Daddy took the car away ( I couldn't believe it). She had trashed this brand new $30,000 car in less than 2 years. It was full of dings, cigarette burns, cigarette butts put out in the cup holders and a bag of weed in the compartment. She had racked up over $1000 in tickets and toll fines that daddy paid for. When daddy intercepted the car when princess went on a rage looking for her boyfriend ( who was living off of daddy too. He gave her $1000 a month to live on) and she broke down. Little baby had a flat tire at 1 am about 40 minutes from where daddy lives. So princess has daddy tow her and pick her stupid ass up to take her home at 1 in the morning. Who cares if daddy had to be at work at 8 am the next day(dumb bitch never heard of AAA which she had). Well when daddy had it towed to the tire shop, he got the shock of his life when he went to pay for the car. He saw how she destroyed and disrespected it. Daddy took the car away. This was the first time in princesses life that she had ever been disciplined and boy she didn't like it. She proceeded to threaten suicide because daddy took the car. Real nice manipulation there princess. She calls me and trashes us and I stick up for daddy. Then he doesn't speak to me for a month because how dare I be disrespectful to baby snot bag princess; we have to kiss her ass. Many years later, the trashy brat calls daddy screaming at him, trashing him and me and said horrible things to her father. Due to this tantrum, She's now been out of our lives since May; it's been wonderful. Finally my DH sees her for the rotten, spoiled, piece of trash that she is. It's sad we had to go through all of that to get where we are. I'm glad I hung on. I now have a great DH who is free of satans spawn. I hope she never calls us again. DH admitted that its nice without having to cater to her adult sick ass. What a blessing.

sandye21's picture

Oh yes, the vacations with SD. What a thrill they were. Like you, I was totally invisible, even having to walk behind SD and DH on the sidewalk, or I was targeted for her sadistic games. I helped to pay for EVERYTHING. SD never offered - ever. A couple of years ago my DH, SD, BIL and his girfriend went away for the weekend. BIL's girlfriend says it was all about SD, what SHE wanted to do, what SHE wanted to eat, etc. When other people see it, it makes you feel good to know it's not your imagination (as you've been told).

Your SD appears to be a narcissist like mine. Thank goodness your DH finally saw the light. My SD has not made an attempt to communicate with DH in over 2 1/2 years. Won't return his calls, won't acknowledge his existence. I guess she thinks she is punishing him but distance doesn't always make the heart grow fonder. Have not seen DH call her in months.

Amber Miller's picture

Invisible is a great description. You're right, when others see it happening it is great validation. Yes, my step-demon is a true narcissist and has borderline personality disorder. It's sickening. I hope we are lucky enough to go 2.5 years without contact; that would be fabulous. And yes, these adult brats think they are "punishing" daddy-kins by not acknowledging him; well they aren't. Step-demon didn't call daddy for Father's Day (rotten tramp). This just enforced to DH that she truly is a selfish piece of garbage. She's the one that called him and attacked him verbally on the phone and slammed it in his face and she's mad at him???? It should be the other way around. DH thinks that she has been mad for awhile because DH decided that he was no longer an ATM. DH said he is not interested in talking with her and that if he ever does that she owes him a BIG apology. Wow, that's a first. She's been attacking us and other family members for years; it's about time DH held her responsible for her behavior. I hope your SD continues to leave you alone. Take care!
I just re- read your post; how awful that everyone's trip had to be controlled because queen brat was there. It's so disturbing. I'm so grateful my father never treated me like that (world revolves around me). That's what's wrong with these people.

sandye21's picture

"Step-demon didn't call daddy for Father's Day (rotten tramp)." Same here. DH has not ecieved a card or call, gift, nothing for birhtdays, Father's Day, Christmas. But in this case I believe it was his fault. For years he threatened to leave if he didn't get his way. Knowing this I honestly believe he led SD to think 2 1/2 years ago that he was leaving after she went ballistic on me. Unlike your DH, my DH ran out the door instead of confronting his precious princess. From what I've witnessed, he's never confronted her about her cruel and obnoxiuos behavior. I had to do it on my own, and with the help of this group. But my DH likes his comforts so he decided to stay. Pretty sure this is why SD has not been too happy with him. In the last year though, after SD had treated HIM like crap he has uttered some things about SD I thought I would never hear. He finally admits he saw how verbally abusive she was, etc.

Amber Miller's picture

Wow, these brats all think alike. They throw a tantrum and pout. My lovely SD also wanted DH to leave me because she told him I am evil, bad for him, a gold digger, etc. she expects him to do as she says to prove his undying love for her. My DH told her that wasn't going to happen. Amazing how these adult brats think that daddy lives just to please them. I'm happy to hear your DH admits how abusive his little precious is. It took my DH 7 years to see his D for the Wh@re she is. My DH usually sends the demon $100 for her BD and Xmas. She said this past year that she would be sending the checks back because she was having a tantrum. Well, it's been 9 months; we are still waiting for the checks. I knew she wouldn't send them. What did she expect, daddy to get on the phone and beg her to accept the money after she has already received thousands from him. (Estimated $50,000 in 4 years). I hope I never see her again.

Once again thank you all for your posts, advice and support. For now, I'm taking each day as it comes and doing my best to play nice. The reality is that DH is blurring the lines between the marriage and SD, assuming we can all blend into one happy family. That won't happen, because that was never our plan; and simply put I have a hard time respecting SD; and an even harder time respecting DH for stepping on the marriage to resolve his guilt. Be as that may, financially and otherwise things are sound, and other than the incidents I mentioned on the original post, he does not say "No" to me in favour of her. Also, DH does not put SD before me. It's more an issue of inserting her where she does not belong and inserting me where I do not belong. That's the problem. In marrying someone with a then 19yo daughter, and being someone who never wanted children myself, I had some ideas and expectations about my marriage and her SD's involvement in our everyday lives. Those boundaries have been blurred and crossed and therein lies my problem. Add that to her being manipulative and DH's misplaced guilt... and suddenly I have a this chip on my shoulder about all of this.
So I'm trying to be cognisant of this as I move forward because I have much to lose by ending this marriage today. Perhaps one day, it will be time to call it quits, but not now. In the meanwhile, I simply have to disengage and just try to be happy. Otherwise, carrying on they way I am is like breathing in poison every day and hoping for someone else to die. My situation is not ideal. Ideal would be for DH to talk to SD and explain to her that she is an adult and although she is welcome in our home, she can't stay over every time and she needs to ask both him and me if she intends to visit. But I know, as things stand, that is not likely to happen anytime soon. The reality is that no matter what, being his daughter, she won't go away; and the only person who is disposable in this equation is me.