Update

Pinetree's picture

Two days ago, my stepson who lives by us told me that his mom tried to register his sister who lives by her in the high-school and that the school district did not allow her as the girl is registered under my and my husband's custody,  something I totally don't know about. So, I asked my husband , he said me and my ex has a joint custody. As I'm not familiar with the rules in USA, I called the school directly. They informed me that my name and my husband's name are in her papers as owners of custody.  They don't even know her mom's name or phone number. How a girl can be under the custody of her stepmom? I don't even know about it. She lives by her mom already ? Is custody suppose to be a legal document? How can I know the truth. Surely, I'll not take it from the mouth of my husband 

tog redux's picture

Some places do a "primary residence" with joint custody for the purposes of registering them with school. If they have joint custody, BM should be able to register them by showing her court order, unless they do need the primary residence changed to her. 

Pinetree's picture

I understand,. But, my name is mentioned in the record not their biological mom that's what surprises me. The secretary asked me about her name and phone number as this is not mentioned in the record

Aniki-Moderator's picture

How can I know the truth. Surely, I'll not take it from the mouth of my husband 

If you cannot trust your husband, you have much more serious issues that SD's "primary residence". 

Rags's picture

I was always listed as SS's parent on his school registrations.  We never had to show a CO for my DW to register SS and to put me on the registration documents as his dad.   The Spermidiot was never on any of his school registrations and until SS was 14 we never required any approval from the Spermidiot for anything.  When we renewed SS's passport when he was 14 the Spermidiot's signature was required. They had changed the rules for getting a passport for a minor and both BP's signatures was required. Unlike the first time we got SS a passport when he was 7.  Only the signature of one BP was required.

When the kids were registered the adults at the registration address for the Skid's home may have been requested.

That is how it was for us.