You are here

MY home, MY rights....right??

SaraJean's picture

I posted my story in the "Teenager Stepchildren" forum, but I think I should've posted here.

My 16 year old SD (who lives 100% with us - my DH has sole physical custody) is spinning out of control and unfortunately, my DH isn't letting me be a part of ANY of the decisions as to how to handle the situations even though we have 2 boys together and they are witnessing EVERYTHING.

My SD wants to go live with her BM, who signed over custody to my DH 5 years ago, and at this point, I'm praying she does so that the boys have a peaceful home environment instead of one filled with chaos, police visits, holes punched in the doors, etc. My issue is that I feel very strongly that her car should be taken away (that we pay for AND is registered in MY name)and that she can go live with her BM for awhile. My DH won't take her car away (God forbid him to make ANYTHING inconvenient for her) and he's letting her make the decision where she's going to live. Since when does that type of behavior have options instead of consequences??

She's been calling me names, trying to fight me, starting arguments between her BM and I, my mother-in-law and I, and even my own sister and I. I cannot live like this, nor do my sons, but my DH is giving me NO SAY in ANYTHING.

What can I do? How can I say that 'hey, this is my life and I'm not going to tolerate this!' and him actually listen to me and respect that this is my house, and our boys' house too!

misSTEP's picture

First of all, I would recommend splitting finances. If you don't have a voice in your own house, then you should at LEAST have a voice with your own MONEY. Then, quit paying for her car. AND, since it is registered in your name, SELL IT. Do whatever you need to do to get that car OUT of your name. Right now YOU ARE LIABLE if she does anything stupid with the car. Who pays for insurance?

Talk to her BM and strongly encourage the SD going to live with her mother. That would be the easiest way to end this mess.

Then you might want to think about marriage counseling to get your DH to see that his decisions affect more than just HIM and his daughter.

ThatGirl's picture

"That car is in my name and I will call the police and report it stolen if it leaves this driveway." If he doesn't like it, he can get the title changed.

Lalena75's picture

If it's in your name it's yours not his car not her car yours you can remove it from her anytime you want. If she takes it without your permission it's called a stolen vehicle and you report it, inform your DH just this it isn't his he has no say. and you repeat just what you did "This is my life and I'm not going to tolerate it", but then what will you do if he just ignores you, you have to be able to hold your ground and find your boundary, if you do xyz I do abc.

Frustr8d1's picture

It is more than wrong that skids have the option of leaving one set of parents to go live with another when the going gets tough. Bios can't do that. They are forced to either cope or adapt. They are stuck with the parents they have!

"Since when does that type of behavior have options instead of consequences??"

Agree with Echo: "I don't care if she's on fire...don't pee on her to put her out."

Withdraw and disengage completely. Especially with the finances.

kathc's picture

Take the damn car away. It's in YOUR name. If she gets into an accident and kills someone it will come back on YOU. (Sounds extreme, yes, but if she's that out of control who knows how she's driving around?)

Put an ad on CL and sell the damn thing. Use the money to hire a divorce lawyer if your husband doesn't like it.

SaraJean's picture

I signed the title over to my husband thinking that might help me incase of a liability issue. However, I learned that in the state of Michigan, it's considered marital property regardless of whose name is on the title. I believe that the car is technically still in my name during the title transfer process, so I told him that I want the car in our driveway if she's at her BM's house. He said that he'll just take it back over there. I'm not about to go get it again and be apart of his childish games. The insurance is in both of our names and well as most of our debt. I've tried telling him numerous times that I want to split fiances, but he says that he won't do it. Then what...our credit will be shot (again, most debt is joint)and I'm not about to let that happen.

As far as talking to the BM, that's not an option at this point. A few days ago I told her exactly what I thought of her (as my husband went to her house with the police because SD was refusing to take a drug test AND the BM let my SD skip her counseling appointment for no good reason). To make matters worse, my SD told her BM that I blame her (SD) for my "failing marriage". So BM and SD both texted/called me screaming at me and calling me a b#&ch. Nice.

misSTEP's picture

You are letting others have too much control.

Your hubby refuses to split finances? He can't force you to NOT open up your own account and change your direct deposit. You can still pay for half of the debts you jointly own. Just don't contribute to the little hellion he and BM created (NOTE: NOT YOU!) How would your credit be shot if you still contribute to the debts?

See about getting your own car insurance policy and getting off your husband's. That MAY release you from some liability of having SD drive. Maybe set up a consultation with a lawyer regarding this. Usually the first appointment is free.

Block SD and BM from your phone. You do not need to deal with your husband's baggage.

DISENGAGE stat.
http://www.steptogether.org/disengaging.html

From what you have posted on here, your husband sounds like an immature control freak and you sound like a doormat. Sorry to be judgmental like that. But I used to be there. Don't waste your life like that.

You guys need marriage counseling. He is not respecting you AND not protecting you from the drama of his previously enjoyed family, like a good man should.

Jsmom's picture

You are giving her way too much power over your household. If the car is in your name, it disappears...If not, you need to start separating finances immediately to cover yourself with liabilities.

SaraJean's picture

Thank you everyone.

It's looking like she'll be moving in with her mom for awhile (thank GOD!). My DH and I agree that disengaging is the way it has to be. However, I did request an apology from her (thru my DH) and he said that she just won't do it. I'm considering shutting her phone off (also in my name, for now that is!) until she apologizes for punching a hole in my laundry room door AND for the way she spoke to/treated me. Good idea or should I just let it go and be done with it??

HarleyQuinn's picture

Get her phone turned off.why would you pay and have in your name a priviledge for a spoilt brat.she made her bed,now she can lay in it.no one should treat you like she has,and she shouldnt get away with it.she cant apologies then you do NO favours for her!

Rags's picture

Pretty simple. Change the locks the next time SD is at school and DH is at the office. When they arrive home tell DH that he will immediately address every issue with SD as he KNOWS is the right way or as YOU tell him to or the divorce papers that your attorney has prepared will be filed. Of course you must already have the separation/divorce papers prepared by the attorney and the CS ready to invoke immediatley. Since DH is the CP for your SD you have a huge finantial advantage to leverage and if your DH does not find his sack and man up quickly you will have to play this card early before DH gives SD back to the abandoning BM. Once that happens your boys are relegated to the second family status and SD gets the financial advantage of being a first family CS child unless your CS is invoked first.

His decision, he steps up and parents his daughter, sets a clear example of what a father and man is for his sons and lives up to his commitment to you as your husband or he loses his wife, sons, home and life as he knows it.

End of problem one way or the other.

No child should be the victim of inept parenting including your SD and younger sons, or daughters for that matter, should never be exposed to the toxic ineptitude of a father not manning up and doing his husbandly, fatherly, manly duties.

All IMHO of course.

I have zero tolerance for this kind of crap particularly with men. Since I am a man I am much more sensitive to manly failings than I am to failings from women. Though I have zero tolerance either way. My son (SS-20) has had diametrically opposed examples from me as his father since he was 15mos old and his worthless POS SpermIdiot. I have been a steady provider, firm disciplinarian, mentor, dvocate and faithfully and lovingly married to his mom while his SpermIdiot has been his video game buddy and gone on to spawn my SS's three younger also out-of-wedlock half sibs by two more baby mamas all while living rent free in SpermGrandMa and SPermGrandPa's rental property driving their hand me down vehicles while they paid his CS obligation to my son and raise the three younger SpermIdiot spawn in their home with no help from the SpermIdiot.

My son has little use for his SpermIdiot and has gone on to be a young man of honor, integrity and character. I hope in some part due to my example but I believe more so because he will do anything to not be like his SpermIdiot.

I would suggest that you use the crappy example that DH is setting for his sons as leverage to get him to man up. Bare his ass by pointing out not only how he is failing his daughter and his wife but how he is failing his boys. If he fails to man up then you have to protect your boys from that example as much as possible.

Again, IMHO of course.

Good luck.

Rags's picture

I just read the rest of this thread. I guess things are turning out OKay without the hard assed approach I tend to default to.

Never mind.

Weeser1's picture

I just read the rest of this.

Dear Rags,

I just read the rest of this.I have been having some holiday stress & wanted to say
how much I enjoyed your comment.Thankyou, you made my day!

Natalia Ely's picture

Rags:

You are are so right, men can be harsher judges of other men than women are, esp. when it comes to things like child neglect, cruelty to women, not getting a job and so on. Does it depend on their own mother? I had a friend whose husband abandoned her and went to live with his mother, and my husband was so stunned. He said, "my mother wouldn't have let me near her house if I ditched my wife and children." Yet I think that I would probably take care of my son if he ditched his kids and needed a place to live.

Or maybe not; maybe I'd offer my grandchildren a place to live. I'm a pretty soft touch for people in need and I'm not real proud of that because so many people are willing to take advantage and even knowing that, I'm still the same. My husband always says "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Rags's picture

My mother would not tolerate anything remotely approaching abandoning her grandchildren and DILs by her boys. She would kick our asses. You do not want the 5'2" 67yo mom on your ass. Not even when you are a 6'1" 48yo man. And for damned sure you do not want her throwing the "wait until your father gets home" line even when you are rapidly approaching 50yo. The only thing more frightening than the mom is the 70yo fitness junky former Marine dad.

In fact she would have me working multiple jobs to provide for my kids and would pick up my checks with me and might give me enough for Top-Ramen for the week until next payday and might give me room for a tent in the back yard.... if she let me live. I am on my 2nd marriage (no children with my XW) and my mom will click her kitchen shears at me to let me know that I will not only lose everything I own if I get another divorce but she will go all Elena Bobbit on me.

Of course she would do it for my own good. Wink Wink

My wife and I did not kick our son out (my SS) when he finished HS then turned 18. He knew we would pay for college anywhere he wanted to go but the deal was he had to apply, get in, register and make it all happen. He did nothing and only told us after it was too late to start school in the fall that he was not ready for college. So, we told him to get a job. That was not what he wanted to do either. So, we made him our beck and call boy. We gave him the monster chore list, he cooked, he cleaned, he did laundry, washed windows, painted the fence, pulled weeds, etc...............

When he figured out how to get his days chores done in 2 hours we doubled the list and kept on doubling the list until he realized that he would contribute to he household one way or the other. If he worked we would not charge rent just as we did not when he was our beck and call boy. Eventually he decided to talk to the military recruiters. He narrowed it down to the USMC and the USAF and ultimately went USAF because they recruiter was much more involved than the USMC recruiter was.

Anyway, he figured it out but would have taken much longer to do so if we had not worked his butt off on every mundane and completely unpleasant chore we could think up he broke at about the 5-6mo point and enlisted on the delayed entry program until his specialty was available. He started BMT 8mos after his 18th B-day. The evil parent revenge is that the USAF has him in college for his first 3 years and he should have his BS completed in year 4 of his 6 year obligation. }:) }:) The really good part of our revenge is that there are professionals providing his motivation, oversight and supervising his chores now!! Biggrin Biggrin

I think your focus on the G-Kids is what my mom would do if I or my brother were to dump our families and run home to mom and dad. Not happenin with my parents, particularly my mom.

I certainly hope that this is only a hypothetical discussion for you with your children and for me with my son.

Good luck.

Madicakes's picture

I would immediately open my own bank account, have my direct deposit changed, if applicable, and immediately cancel anything that is in my name and enjoyed by SD. Find out whose name is on the title of the car. If it is just yours, sell it. If both of your names are on it, I agree with removing yourself from your husband's policy and getting your own...after checking with an attorney regarding any legalities, etc. I would not spend another dime of my money on SD.

realtalk's picture

Hold them ACCOUNTABLE

Its know different than when the skids are in a teachers' class at their school. They must obey the rules. No child or their parent can tell YOU what to do. They may suggest what they want, however when it all falls down, you have the last say. And yes BM or BF will not like it but so WHAT.
I heard when I got married," You knew he had children when you got with him", and my response to that was, "he knew I didn't have children". The issues with BM and SKIDS is NOT your problem it is his. Your only concern is to make sure YOU hold BM or BF responsible for taking care of their child financially and hold him accountable for the rules and regs you have set forth for your home and well being... Dont get emotional, stay calm and remember to stand your ground!!!!

thinkthrice's picture

You need to put your foot down NOW! I didn't and i TOTALLY regret it. In my case, Guilty daddy pays almost his entire salary to the "first family" leaving me to support him and myself alone. He also got used to being the "king of the castle" back in the early years when he still had "feeings of love" (TM) for me.

Now that I'm older and less "hot", guilty daddy rules over me with an iron fist--has made threats about killing me, my grown bios, you name it should I ever force him out of MY house. All because I didn't establish boundaries from day one while I had some sort of "leverage." This is because I "felt sorry" for him and accepted him into my house almost ten years ago. I actually sold my beloved suburbanesque home that my children grew up in and bought another property that was in way worse shape (should have been condemned and it's on a wetland that I didn't know about) so that he could be "closer to his kids" (TM). They eventually PASed out as he spent countless weekends be-friending and kissing up to them (which causes them to PAS out even faster in my experience) Of course he blames the PASout on me and not his ex-wife and her family's continual trashing of him and me in front of his "knee high to a grasshopper" kids for six years straight.

If you can do something like I did (my vehicles are all paid for beaters) you can try this. I secretly put one of my Ford F150s that guilty daddy considers HIS in HIS name. Got separate insurance on it under his name only. Why? because although he was driving his work truck at the time, guilty daddy likes to have temper tantrums on the road and literally put his fist into other people's cars for tailgating him (in this case an out of state BMW) There's no way I will have that coming back on me!

perfume1969's picture

In addition to all of these great ideas/help. May I strongly suggest that you and your DH get to a good family counselor that specializes in Blended Families/Step Parenting. Also, just my view, find an expert in the field. Someone whose well known, a PhyD perhaps. You won't need to go very often I can assure however, it's very important that as the SM you are heard in a neutral,safe environment (safe meaning you can speak the truth & hubby has to hear you). You should gain some quick, direct answers that you can implement immediately. I understand how trying it is to keep your marriage strong when the Skids behaviors are ruling your home. Just my suggestion because its so challenging from my experience to really be heard in a health, adult, mature fashion - when tempers are high. Good luck

Wink

yellowrose's picture

:jawdrop:

I am so sorry that you and your two young children are being put through this. It is not stable for anyone.

I feel that your husband is doing what a lot of parents tend to do with their kids when they are divorced. One parent feels that they must meet all the demands of their child and allow the child to make the decisions simply because they do not want their child to prefer the other parent. It is common and normal for your husband to feel this way, however it is not acceptable. In my home, my children never have nor ever will take control of MY home. I feel that she should have privileges taken from her such as her car, and if your husband is unwilling to take it from her then she can start paying for it along with all her gas, the insurance, the maintenance, etc.

Do her and her BM talk or see one another regularly? Where I live, at the age of 12, a child can option to petition the court to have the right to choose where they want to live, and there are other things taken into consideration to determine this, but for the most part, what the child wants is taken into major thought.

I know you do not want to reward bad behavior, but have you thought about taking her out for a girls day? That way its just the two of you and you two could have a chance to just talk about what is going on, figure out what her deal is? Its looking to find a positive approach to allow her to confide in you. If you do this, then its best if you just let her talk and remain positive and encouraging to what she says. Show her that you understand her feelings and that you care about her... That is one approach that I can think of...

If that does not work, then you can tell your husband to figure something else out and that you are your other two children are leaving. Ask him why he thinks its okay for her to treat you and everyone else like garbage and him cater to her, yet forget the fact that he has two younger children that do not need to be raised around that. Ask him why you deserve that, ask him why they do? See what he says. If he is unwilling to take matters to fix the problem, then there is your answer, if he is willing, then you have the other answer, stay and try and help him work on things and work together as a team, as it should be.