You are here

Medical Power of Attorney

SMH2012's picture

My DHs children live in Utah with BM. In order to avoid dispute and confrontation with BM, BF wants to give me medical power of attorney to have SK treated in emergency situations. This would also allow me to take them to the pediatrician or dentist if needed. Since the parents have joint legal custody, do the BPs have to agree who is given permission or can BF do what he feels best for his children without BMs permission. I know that it may be different state to state and joint versus sole custody. I have only dealt with sole custody situation. Thank you

simifan's picture

If your DH has Joint LEGAL custody he does not needs BMs permission. He has the right to give medical power of attorney to anyone he chooses. FYI, you can find the form on line for free, just take it to be noterized (sp?).

Orange County Ca's picture

Forms are state specific so use the Utah form. It would seem unlikely if the kids were found dying on the street and neither bio-parent were in contact that the kids would ignore your power of attorney. If they do at least you've done all you can.