You are here

what happens if BM doesnt show for custody hearing?

leladawn's picture
Forums: 

So BM filed a motion for custody and served BM over 2 weeks ago.. BM had 8 days to respond and NOTHING, so bf picked his hearing date (next mon the 29th).

Ummm.. What happens if BM doesn't show?? I know she's not all there but really??

(BF is representing himself)

soverysad's picture

If she doesn't show the judge could enter a decision without her. It generally doesn't look good to the judge that you don't show up to fight for custody of your own kids.

"A pessimist complains about the wind, an optimist counts on the wind changing, a realist adjusts his sails"

stepmom008's picture

Agreed. Though I would highly recommend that you do get an attorney. I've done a lot of reading on this and in speaking to our lawyer, everyone recommends that you don't represent yourself in these types of matters. A lot of lawyers have free consultations, then you give them a couple thousand dollars which they'll bill against and then return the rest of it to you.

"There are two things over which you have complete dominion, authority, and control over - your mind and your mouth".

jojo68's picture

I'm pretty sure that if one party doesn't show up to a hearing the other side is granted what they were asking unless there is extenuating circumstances as to why they don't make it.

japanspring's picture

Jojo68 is right.
My husband had 2 restraining orders filled against him by his son’s mother. She said he had abused her and the child. She did not show up to any of these 2 court dates because it was not true. So the judge dismissed the case.

leladawn's picture