You are here

What to bring to a divorce/custody hearing

lookingforlight's picture
Forums: 

What type of documents do I need to bring to a custody hearing I was planning to bring proof of the bills pay and pictures of all the things I do with my daughter. Should I bring a statement about how my husband treats me would that have an effect on custody or should I just leave it out.
He also works nights would that make it more likely that the court commissioner would place her with me and how much would the fact that hr has another child affect that. Like if one child has to go to a babysitter then they should both go to a baby sitter?

ESMOD's picture

Your attorney should advise you what to bring to a hearing.

I imagine that to a certain extent, someone's job schedule might have some impact on custody... but if he has another child and wife and she would be home while the child slept.. one might say that there is adequate supervision of the child at night.

How he treated you is only really relevant if there are allegations of abuse or addiction that would be relevant.

Please don't go in there blind. Get a competent atty... In fact, if you have good counsel, then you may be able to come to amicable agreements out of court... and save yourselves that hassle.

lookingforlight's picture

For the time being it would just be his child and him so we would both be single for bit were still married as of now unless he got a girlfriend just to watch his kids because I kinda feel like he did that with me.

still learning's picture

Bring a witness, someone who knows you and how you interact with and care for your daughter. What a good mother you are etc...

ESMOD's picture

Bottom line. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Ask your lawyer what will be relevant and helpful. Too much "minor" stuff might cloud your issues or your intent. Your legal counsel should have a plan of action and you should already know going in what is a likely outcome. They will also be able to tell you what IS and IS NOT good to bring up or discuss.