Tax return

mentalmama24's picture
Forums: 

Hello fellow step parents! I hope your days are all going well. My question pertains to child support and tax returns so I hope I posted this in the right section. BM was originally ordered to pay $250 a month in child support for around 1.5 years, and is now ordered to pay $80 (wow so much I know). Originally, she was paying nothing. We contacted and contacted our case worker who did very little. She at first put BM on a payment plan of $25 every two weeks. That fell through. She put her on two more payments plans which of course fell through again. The case worker finally started the paperwork to withhold her income, so we were getting steady child support payments for a few months before BM quit that job. She even admitted that she quit it so she didn't have to pay child support. So again, we were getting nothing. For the past few months we've been getting around $30 to $40 every month to two months. BM is around $3500 to $4000 behind on child support right now (not 100% sure on exact amount). We were supposed to get her tax return last year, but for some reason didn't get that. We were anticipating on getting it this year, especially since were headed back to court and could really use the funds. Again, didn't get it. BM just got her tax return and is going on shopping sprees and booked a vacation for this upcoming weekend. Does anyone know what is going on??? We've tried and tried talking to our case worker about it and she says theres nothing she can do about it. Any thoughts?

Btw, I say we a lot but I mean DH. I know a lot of people have a problem with that so thought I would clarify.

mentalmama24's picture

I forgot to include that she is ordered to pay her other son's dad $100 a month in child support as well. Don't know if this is of any important but thought i'd mention it just in case it is.

zerostepdrama's picture

Is the other son older? Wondering if his dad got the tax refund because his CS order was established first?

Rags's picture

I would speculate that she is either not over withholding for taxes and is not getting a return or she is using a tax service that pre-emptively gives her a debit card with her return $ on it when the return is first filed. These companies keep the return which is usually several % more than the early money they give to their clients upon filing.

If the tax company does not get their money due to her arrears they will tear her a new one.