You are here

Stepparent Guardianship or Joint Custody

clover63's picture
Forums: 

sigh... my situation is complicated.

I have lived in domestic partnership with a man and his three children for over 11 years.  For most of our time together, our children went back and forth under a joint custody arrangement.  Their mother was quite unstable and dysfunctional, and our oldest child chose to live with us full time when she was 13 (now 22).  Our middle child remained tightly bonded to her mother, but because of her mother's physical and mental health struggles, she (now 20) and her younger brother (now 13) have been living with us full time since February of 2019.  During that time, their mother relocated to an adjacent state to start a new life with another family.  Our children remained in contact with her, but have not spent much time with her at all in these years.  Biomom recently moved back to our state, about 30 minutes away.  My 13 year-old stepson had just starting having overnights with her, maybe 4-5 times total, but he otherwise never really saw her and only engaged with her sporadically via text.  

In these years, my bond with my DSS became much stronger, and in reality, I am his "person."  There is nobody on earth who has spent more time with this precious child than me, and I have been his primary parent for most of his life.  His father loves him deeply, but is a workaholic and is not around much.  His father has his own mental health struggles from an unstable childhood, but has not been willing to pursue professional support.  The impact of Covid, along with the death of his dysfunctional father has stressed my partner in dramatic ways, and he has made very poor decisions in his coping.  His drinking has increased, and in September I became aware that he was likely engaged in an affair.  As the evidence mounted, he refused to be accountable, and so in late October I made an internal decision (with the support of my counselor) that the relationship was beyond repair.  I began considering what separation might look like, with my primary focus on my relationship with my stepson.  In my heart, I knew his father could not raise him without me, and so I figured that life would pretty much look the same other than sleeping arrangements and the presence of this new woman.

Two days after my internal decision to separate, my stepchildren's mother died by suicide.

I was really hopeful that this tragedy would be a wake-up call for my partner, and that he would prioritize his children, his relationship with me, and his own mental health issues.  Sadly, it seems to have had the opposite effect.  He is in flight mode, and he is still actively engaged in the affair.  He has been seen publicly with this woman in the wake of his ex-wife's suicide, even the day after the funeral!  He took an out-of-town trip with her only 10 days after the suicide, and has not been physically or emotionally present for our grieving 13-year-old.  By my estimation, he is going completely off the rails, yet he still comes home and acts as if everything is normal.

Clearly we have to separate - it is completely unforgivable that this man is prioritizing this woman over his grieving children.  I honestly do not even recognize him as the man I fell in love with and raised children with.  Clearly, the timing of this in the wake of biomom's death, and the approaching holiday season is tender and tricky.  For now, I have decided to just put up with his terrible behavior and focus solely on my DSS. I have lovingly and effectively compartmentalized my own emotions so that I can focus on my DSS.  He needs me.  He still comes to me at night in tears grieving the sudden and dramatic loss of his mother. I am well-equipped to handle all of this, but do understand that based on the custody laws in my state, I am at a disadvantage for any type of legal custody.

I figure that if dad is this sloppy, and is willing to offer evidence of where his priorities lie, I might have a better chance for some type of legal guardianship.  He denies and deflects with every confrontation, no matter how minor or gentle, and at this point, he is only lying to himself.  I have an appointment with a family law attorney on December 2nd to discuss what, if any legal options I might have.  For now, my sole focus is my DSS.  I have no intention of trying to take him from his father, and I honestly have no hope of that.  Ironically, his father is a family law attorney, and so I am completely disadvantaged in many ways.  I do understand that infidelity and poor behavior rarely have an impact on custody, but I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who has been successful in obtaining guardianship or joint custody as an unmarried, bonded step-parent?

Sorry this is so long - I could honestly go on for hours about the heartbreaking complexities of this situation.  For now, I will just sign off with HOW IS THIS MY LIFE???

ESMOD's picture

I think that given the boy's age, you are likely to be able to keep in contact with him...even if your relationship with your partner ceases to exist. 

However, unless his father has an interest in relieving himself of the obligation of caring for his son.. it's unlikely that there is much recourse for you legally to obtain custody.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I am so sorry to read this. Your H obviously has issues and (IMO) is using other... 'method's to escape his issues instead of dealing with them. As Gimlet said, please don't forget to take care of you. *give_rose*

There was a member whose SS lived with her after her divorce (Myss.Tique D'Off), but she no longer posts. Perhaps there's a possibility your H will allow SS to live with you. 

tog redux's picture

You may actually have a case for visitation, given that you've been in his life for a while, and he is bonded to you and would likely say he wanted time with you in court (especially since his mother is dead and he sees you as a mother figure), though it might only be an every other weekend visit type of thing.  Gather lots of evidence. 

justmakingthebest's picture

I think that in the eyes of the court, you are just a "girlfriend", no mater how much you put into these kids lives. Not being married is going to make it harder for any kind of court win.

However, your SO obviously has his hands full juggling his new lady, work and alcoholism. I think you have a good shot, given your SS's ago at your SO just agreeing to some sort of custody agreement with him and you.

I am sorry that your SO has taken this path.

tog redux's picture

Ah, I didn't read that they weren't married. Yes, that complicates it, especially in a more conservative state. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Talk to the family law attorney first, but go in with questions about how best to help your SS, not just how you can get visitation or custody. The reality is that your XSO could move out tomorrow and take SS with him, which leaves you with potentially no legal recourse, so you need to know what other avenues exist for SS to be protected. Does your XSO's drinking warrant a call to CPS or another family services organization? Does the death of BM qualify SS for any programs or services, or is he entitled to any Social Security that could be put away in a trust? Does he have a case for emancipation at 15 or 16 where he could choose to live with you and you can support him?

I'm just spitballing things to discuss with the attorney. Ultimately, what your SS needs is for his father to get his head out of his arse and be a parent. Be careful pursuing something that may only cause your ex to double-down on being a d-bag who decides punishing you trumps the wellbeing of his son. Having external agencies step in who could have been tipped off from school or extended family might help protect your relationship with SS while forcing your XSO to make moves to either help or lose his son to the system.

CajunMom's picture

First, what a wonderful person you are. That young man is so fortunate to have you. 

Unfortunately, the courts are not friendly to a stepparent, even when legally married. We had our experiences in family court. My DH worked overseas and I did not ever see his kids the 3 weeks he was gone. The three times DHs kids lived with us (twice for a few months, third time, his youngest son lived with us a year), I had to have a legal document drawn up giving me "authority" to do the school/medical things needed when DH was at work.

You have another issue at hand...your SO is a family attorney. He knows the laws; this is his area of expertise. If your splitting up can be amicable, there is a possibility that he may let you stay in his son's life. I know 11 years is a long time to dedicate to a relationship and with infidelity, lots of hurt and anger. Put your focus on your relationship with SS and handle the affair as "it happened" and stay factual rather than emotional. Since the affair has continued, it seems he has an investment with the woman so use that to your benefit.  I know that will be hard but if you want to keep your SS in your life, there are going to have to be some major "giving up" issues. I hope this makes sense. I'm not saying to condone the affair. Just to accept it and understand, to react to it negatively may compromise any future relationship with your SS.

Best to you. You deserve it. So does your SS.

clover63's picture

Thank you everyone.  I do understand that the laws are not written in favor of children, nor stepparents.  I have no desire to stir up anything and have my DSS put in the middle of adult conflict.  He is still actively grieving the death of his mother, and now will have to add this unfortunate situation to his heart space.  I have accepted the affair, and continue to shelter my partner and my stepson in our home (I own the home and did before we became a family) because it ensures my stepson's well-being.  I don't believe that his father would ever cut me out of his life, but I don't intend to create enough trouble to find out.  My goal is to take one day at a time until I meet with the attorney, and then calmly approach my partner about formulating a plan to ensure that our son is supported and that disruption to his life is minimized when we separate.  I do have concerns about my partner's mental health status, as well as his financial status, but I can only control my own choices in this matter.  I have the emotional and financial means to support my DSS no matter what, and will do so if necessary.

What is difficult to reconcile is that both of his parents have made choices that involve abandonment, whether physical or emotional, and the one person who has stood by him no matter what literally has no rights to him at all.  It just sucks.

Thank you again.  I appreciate your thoughts and your concern.  I am taking care of myself - I have every reason to be my very best self for my DSS in these days.  He needs me, and I take that responsibility very seriously.

I am grateful.

Tiger7's picture

I have no experience in a situation Iike yours. I just wanted to offer up support. I agree with everyone here that you are a remarkable person.  I pray things work out for your SS and for you