You are here

MN child support

smurfy1smile's picture
Forums: 

I was just curious so I did the math on the calculator in MN where I live to see what BF would potentially have to give me for child support for our BD13 if we broke up. Right now he pays $800 per month for his BS1 with BM. If we broke up and he was ordered to pay for his daughter, say $800 a month for her, his support for BS1 goes down less than $200 a month. I know this new system is supposed to be more fair with including both parents income or potential income but I don't see how its fair at all. I think it is set up to discourage having more kids and that's fine with me since some folks abuse the social service system and keep having more kids so they don't have to work. BUT that is not the case for everyone. I wish there was a way to make it more fair and equitable to all but I have no idea how. I have always felt that if a parent spends little to no time with their child(ren), by choice, that they should have to pay more in support since the parent with the child(ren) has to possibly find other avenues for the child(ren) to get the positive attention from the opposite sex - like little league, scouts, sports lessons, etc.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I know the court administrators in MN are supposed to get together a panel to see how the new system is working but those things take time.

SM#1's picture

They take the 25% for 2 kids (whether or not different mothers) then they divide it by 2. Each getting an equal amount. I know they say they go by mothers income as well, but it really does not affect the CS like they say it should.

Upset Dad's picture

I Reside in MN and have 2 kids with different moms and they take 25% for each kid,and due to me being a commission employee if my check is less than my child support payment they will take 60% of what i make (this is take home pay)so after taxes and support and medical and dental i get about 15-20% of what i make its very unfair i make roughly $50,000 a year and pay about 20,000 in support and m&d and my pay fluctuates so there are months i only take home $400 so how do they expect me to afford a safe car to drive them around in ,live in something bigger than a 1 bedroom apt in a crappy neighborhood,so that makes them not want to come over often ,the courts need to look at the bigger picture!

And i take them every weekend

smurfy1smile's picture

I think you are on the old system. I do know that seasonal and commission based folks are supposed to budget so they can afford everything. Maybe you should look into a new order since you are on the old system. Plus the the new system you get credit for the amount of time you spend with your kids.

Anonymous201's picture

You do get credit for the amount of time with your kids but it is lumped into three brackets. 0-10%, 11-45% and 45.1-50%. the dumb part of this is no matter what % of parenting time you have between 11-45% you only get a credit for 12% parenting time. So if you have your kid(s) 44% of the time, your basic support credit is as if you only have them 12%, which in most cases is a couple of hundred dollars difference.

2Bloved's picture

I guess I'm missing out on something here? You have a BD13 with BF, and he has SS1 with another woman?

I always thought that the first to file is the first to get paid. So since he is court ordered to pay $800 for his BS1, then if you file, they'll already have counted his prior support order for his BS. That order will take precedence over yours. Meaning, his payment to BM MAY reduce due to him having another another child to support, but no way will you get more.

smurfy1smile's picture

BF adopted my BD so making her our BD. Sorry you understood wrong. Having a second order does not reduce the first unless a BF asks for a review but that rarely happens.

2Bloved's picture

Do you already have an order in place for your BD? The only support order that he has right now is for his BS1, right? So, if having a second order does not reduce the first, why would his support for his BS1 go from $800 to $200 if you file for CS for your BD that he adopted? Sorry, I really don't have any advice, just confused.

smurfy1smile's picture

I was just seeing what would happen if BF all ready had to pay CS for BD13 and then had BS1.

The way I understand it is that if BF paid $800 a month for BD13 (like he does now for BS1)when BS came along he would then pay about $600 a month for BS1. I don't understand how this can be fair. BF gets a "credit" of about $250 a month because BD13 lives with him so apparently it only "costs" him $250 a month to raise BD and it costs BM $1600 plus to raise BS1. I say $1600 cause BM has stated that BF should pay half for everything involving BS even though she makes way more money and controls how much extra time BF has with him.

sweetthing's picture

this calculater? I know the laws in minnesota changed after my DH divorced BM who makes way more money than him. I would love to see if he would have to pay less with the new law. We also have a child together.

2Bloved's picture

You can google the calculator for each state.

smurfy1smile's picture

It will be a year in April.