You are here

Insurance/Child Support

texasmom77's picture
Forums: 

I've been very lucky for 5 1/2 years. My ex has always paid me on time child support. Well now, he just lost his job. He has a high $$ income, and it is devastating (we're talking 100,000+). I've never run it through the social services to receive child support. He called me and told me he didn't have it, but paid me a couple of days later (I'm cool with that). What I'm worried about is the health insurance and next month. Thank God the kids are covered under my husband, but by court order, my ex is supposed to provide health insurance. Do I go through the services? or call a lawyer? I really have no idea what to do. (btw, I've tried to use the state system and have been in waiting for over 2 hours at a time, and still never got a hold of anyone).

SASX's picture

I would advise you first to talk with your ex. See if the two of you can negotiate a new CS amount that is within his reach financially. To resume it's original amount or renegotiate upon his finding employment.

If you can negotiate a lower amount while he is unemployed it would be in your best interests to do so. If you hire an attorney, your CS payments will be paying his/ hers fees. Additionally, you might find yourself in the same position my SO's ex wife found herself in. She took him to court for more cs while he was unemployed and ended up having to pay him CS while he was unemployed. (Read: even more $ out of your budget).

If it is a temporary situation, work with him. If he is unreasonable, then go to the state for enforcement, just expect the amount to go down exponentially.

herewegoagain's picture

They guy has always paid you, your kids are on your husband's insurance and you are asking if you should call the lawyers or child support because "he's supposed to have them on it?" Wow...honestly, I am a bit speechless.

PS - if you were still married and he lost his job, your kids would have to do without...not sure what you are wanting here...