You are here

Identity theft

MIMzies's picture
Forums: 

We’re pretty certain BM opened a credit card in SS’s name and now it’s in collections. The question is do we file a police report?

Thumper's picture

What proof do you have...I know you think...but what proof/facts. Is this kid a minor?  More info needed please.

I would call the police OR walk into local police station for further instruction Wink

MIMzies's picture

He is a minor. I had a nagging feeling, so we ran his credit report. It’s a credit card w/ Cap One That has been sent to collections. My DH called the collection company and was told the fraud dept has already investigated. They said the card and charges were valid...they informed us when we called last month (we didn’t call FYI). The rep said she was unable to provide any other information. The strange thing is when we filed taxes, they placed everything on hold and DH had to go to IRS to prove his identity. He was told someone tried to file his taxes last year. I think we’ll just go down to PD.

lieutenant_dad's picture

The short answer is yes, if SS is a minor, and no, if SS is an adult (though you should encourage SS to do it). 

I wouldn't go to the cops pointing a finger at BM unless you have some proof it was her, but I would still go to them and express your concerns. I'd also suggest putting a freeze on SS's credit, and if he is a minor, looking to cancel anything opened in his name. Then file fraud complaints against all of it.

A friend from college ran into this issue from his dad, who happened to have the same name as him. Ruined my friend's credit before he was even old enough to buy a beer. My friend didn't want to get his dad in trouble, so he tried his best to either pay the things in his name or deal with the consequences. He finally froze his credit so his dad couldn't do it anymore. It hurt him, though, for most of his 20s.

ESMOD's picture

First, your DH needs to get a copy of his son's credit reports from all three agencies.  He should be able to get them for free from the govt site.

If there is indeed any credit in his name (a 13 yo.. right).  Your DH will need to contact those creditors and explain that his 13 yo son did not open any lines of credit.  They will research and if it's necessary they will make him file charges against his EX. 

Another thing is that your DH should get a lock on his child's credit.  he is 13... he doesn't need it open.

STaround's picture

As a condition to their divorce my DH and his agreed to freeze all kids credit till they were 18. 

Rags's picture

Absolutely.  File the report.  If they investigate they will determine whether or not BM is the credit thief.