You are here

How do judges decide on school arrangements 50/50 custody?

mommy78's picture
Forums: 

We will be going to court to file that SD5 goes to the school in our district. BM lives about 6 miles away but in another district. Both my DH and BM share 50/50 and want SD5 to start near their homes. I was wondering how will judge decide where the child goes to school? Has anyone had this situation? What are some good points/proof to bring to court?

Orange County Ca's picture

If the father were here I would tell him that a child needs a place to call home and that splitting a child up between two of them doesn't work. This is being recognized by more and more sociologists as the experiment with 50/50 custody ages along with the children used in the experiment. At the same time a single school near the custodial parents home is the only workable solution.

If the father were here I would tell him to meet with the mother and suggest that the child would be better off if the child stayed at the mothers home and schooled nearby during the school year while visiting on every other weekend with the father.

Then during the summer the girl can stay at the fathers home for whatever time frame is possible, a few weeks to the whole 3 months that school is out.

But few parents consider what is best for the child in these situations so this is unlikely to happen. The best one can hope for is that the judge will recognize these facts and require that the child attend the school nearest the mothers and if father insists that he keep the child every other week then he'll have to provide transportation to and from on a daily basis.

Print this article out for Daddy: http://www.thelizlibrary.org/site-index/site-index-frame.html#soulhttp:/...

Momma1987TC's picture

Smile I just love how ppl assume the mother is what is best for the child as is best suited for CP. NOT THE CASE IN MOST CASES!!

Generic's picture

Children need routine and structure. I'm not sure how divorcing, moving out, getting another boyfriend/girlfriend, having a new baby etc could possibly be routine under any circumstances. But, when people make life decisions for their children based on sexual desires, why is havoc a surprise to anyone?

spittenfire's picture

Same here for me! Me and my exhusband do the 50/50 week on week off split. When we divorced I chose to move to another town, but because I work in the town my girls go to school in it works out great. And my XH is listed as the residential parent soley for the purpose of being able to keep the girls in the same school. I can honestly say that we have a very rare ability to compartmentalize the disaster of our marriage from our co parenting relationship.

vickimill26's picture

You are so unbelievably lucky and I am so jealous! I know that the way you and your ex handle it would be perfect for us! We live within 1 mile of BM. She puts them on the school bus in the morning, when it is our time we pick up and drop off at school. We live in such a small town, never a far drive to any activity. She had no boyfriend or husband, so it must be hard for her to do everything! But she hates me and her ex so much that she will not give us equal time and fought us in court last time we tried to force her, (2 years ago).

Generic's picture

Probably they lean toward the mother as one glance on the board proves most men are inadequate parents without a woman in the background. What with all the stepmothers revolting, these dads don't stand a chance.

Journey1982's picture

Generic - how did you come to the conclusion that "most men are inadequate parents without a woman"? What facts did you based your opinions on?

Journey1982's picture

Most females on this site claim they have a crazy BM to deal with. What does that say about moms?

Disneyfan's picture

Based on what is posted here, one would think BMs are crazy, jealous, lazy money grubbing trouble makers.

Based on what is posting here, one would think dads aren't able to cook, discipline, say no to their kids or exs, clean, handle school stuff, purchase gifts for their kids, help with homework, make sure that their kids are clean....

Of course neither is true of all moms and dads.

A huge number of SMs here are stuck doing the parenting in their homes. If a dad is just going to sit back and let SM parent his kid, then why not leave the child with mom? IF mom is able and willing to parent the child.

Whichever parent is actually willing to do the work of parenting the child (dumping the kid on a new wife or grandma doesn't count as parenting), should be granted custody.

Generic's picture

Yeah, I tend to agree. Apparently BMs are psycho, but healthy enough for custody. Especially when SM hates the SK.

bigmombigheart's picture

Very insightful! Thanks for the advice. Our situation is that the school in our district is better and newer but BM still doesn't want to allow SD to go to the one in our district. Right now there is no CP both parents have equal time

onthefence2's picture

I wonder if I am the only one who finds it ironic that the parents can't agree on which school the child should attend, but they trust a judge who doesn't know them, doesn't know their child, and probably doesn't know the schools to make this decision for them. CRAZY. People need to grow up.

The reason in most cases the mom gets custody or final say is because moms typically are the ones who take the kid to the doctor, attend parent/teacher meetings, get to know the teachers/admins at the school. Of course we all know those crazy bms but for the most part, the MOM is the one who does all this before the divorce so they are assumed the ones who want to continue handling it. Often this works great until a sm comes into the picture and wants to run the show because she's been taught that the bm is crazy.

libra2libra83's picture

I am a SM with the opposite problem. The BM wants to move my SD out of the district she started school in since she has a new boyfriend. BF and I both feel that moving a child out of their comfort zone simply because BM no longer wants to live in the same town a BF is immature. Not all SM want to run the show. Sometimes we just love our SD dearly, and want them to grow up in a healthy, comfortable environment.

bigmombigheart's picture

I seriously doubt any judge would grant BM wish to move to SD from a school she has already been attending especially since her dad can still get her to school. BM may end up getting weekends

Rags's picture

Pretty simple to ask the Judge to order the child to attend the better of the two schools and school districts. Research which of the two is better and make that recommendation. The judge will likely go with it since it makes sense and is obviously in the best interest of the child's education.

Good luck.

Drac0's picture

>I was wondering how will judge decide where the child goes to school? Has anyone had this situation? What are some good points/proof to bring to court?<

This is a tough one, as no two judges are alike.

My SS was registered in his father's district. DW and I wanted to move him into the school in our district. The cards were stacked against us since we were vying for a break in status quo.

I *think* the judge ruled in our favor because we showed the judge that we were better equiped at handling SS's academic needs. We did our research, attended ALL the parent-teacher conferences, etc. SS's father had done none of that. The ONLY argument he brought to court was "SS and his cousin are in the same class. It wouldn't be fair to break them up."

So, me and DW looking like concerned responsible parents who are very involved with SS's education and DW's ex looking like a blithering idiot ended up working out in our favor.

That being said, document, research, document, memorize, and document everything and anything pertaining to SD5's academics. Our Judge didn't care on what *could* happen. He only cared about the child's well being right *NOW* and it was clear to the judge that DW and myself were already extablished as a stable family. You will be challenged on everything you bring to court, including your availability, your willingness to co-parent, how long you have been living in your district, how well you know the school and its faculty, etc.

jumanji's picture

SOME Dads make great custodial parents. SOME Moms make great custodial parents. SOME Moms AND Dads make crappy parents, custodial or not. Yeah - really. And I'm sorry - if you need to push your man to be a Dad? he's NOT great Dad!

jenn82lancemade's picture

I have to agree with you on that. I have to push my ex-husband to be a father to children even when I was married to him. My ex rather live off his mom, brothers and sister than go to work and provide for himself and his kids. When we were married I was the bread winner for the first 6yrs of the marriage. I paid all the bills plus his child support to other children that he had before we got married. Finally I got tired of being his meal ticket and quit my job to make him stand up on his own two feet and support us but that back fired completely so I filed for divorce and to this day I'm fight for my kids child support money to make ends meet for my children I have with him. And all he can think about is getting a job for a couple months out of the year and wants to claim the children on taxes to pay off the arrears in child support.

ej&#039;scrazy's picture

My best advice is to look into not only the district, but the schools that the child would attend--all the way to high school. I know this from experience. The kids were already in school and BM was challenging the enrollment (and actually took them out of their current district at the end of the school year.) We (DH and I and BM, separately of course) were going to all be moving. BM was really pushing for them to go to school where she was moving to (but she was renting) and DH was concerned as we were buying, and would have to be in the right area for the 'good' schools within the current district (yes, we looked into that before we made an offer.)

DH did research with both districts. On paper, BM's district was better. However, DH didn't stop there. He went to each of the schools, spoke with admin, went on tours, and asked specific questions regarding how they would do things for skid who had an IEP. BM's district had no answers, and didn't seem to care to find them. They didn't have anything to enhance learning for the skid with the IEP. Our district had many insights to how to help skid and gave specific help, even offering to allow us to speak with people who would be making key decisions for skid with IEP. BM did not want to give in and fought it tooth and nail.

The good thing is DH was already the parent who dealt with most school/doctor/extra curriculars. BM wanted to fight it, but she didn't have a let to stand on as she hadn't done any research, visited any schools, or made any effort. She threatened court, but never followed through to fight the current court order. It's a good thing, as DH has had 90-95% of the responsibility when it comes to anything school related. BM doesn't even go to PT conference (never has).

Drac0's picture

I'm a little mystified (note I am not saying I am disagreeing here, just mystified) because all the lawyers I spoke to said the exact opposite. Judges will NEVER base their decision on what *could* happen to the child if he changes schools. It doesn't matter if the child has a crack at a scholarship or will be guaranteed into a pre-med program, or will have a professional sports team talent scout look at him, etc. It's all future and has no bearing on the here and now. So even if School A looks better on paper than school B, would the judge take this into consideration? My experience tells me no. Judges look at these things with a grain of salt. They do look, but it won't factor into their final decision.

Again, this is how these matters were explained to me.

Rags's picture

And this is exactly why the public should not tolerate the bottom 10%ers of the legal profession who tend to gravitate to family law to ever sit on the bench in any capacity.

IMHO of course.

DiggingIn's picture

My issue with the 50/50 is that it is unfair to the kids in general. In saying so I do not try to dismiss either of the parents. Each parent is important. I feel like the 50/50 arrangement is justified based on how important each parent is. This is not something to deny. However, something happened to the parents. The union failed. The marriage fell apart. I feel like the 50/50 exchange is trying to replicate the standards that existed in the marriage. But that is false. The marriage failed. SO trying to live like nothing happened is going to be problematic. I have my own situation with a SD8 who is with us 50% of the time, alternating weeks. And it is hard on her. It is hard on us all. Add to the mix a newborn. Do we try to make it work? Ofcourse. But it is like navigating a minefield. Also, I suspect the reason the court system started pushing the 50/50 arrangements is because of the innundation of cases of deadbeat parents. The judicial system is sick of dealing with it. So what they do is make the parents share custody so each end up having to cover expenses. That way it is sorta outta the courts hands. Socially speaking, of the kids welfare, I tend to agree that the shared custody arrangement tends to create problems. Children don't have the stability they crave, they never settle in, they never emotionally invest besides severe attachments that are created by their sense that they will have to change in a couple days. But that isn't saying I don't believe the parents still care. Both parents can love their children, but if the decision is made to divorce without any consideration of what will happen to the kids emotionally, it seems a lil late after the dust settles to force the child to emotionally do what the parents couldn't. I guess, if parents can be so diplomatic for their children after divorce, then why can't they give them that same effort and stay married. But after the marriage fails, the family structure fails. Trying to pretend it still exists is a false standard.

DiggingIn's picture

Funny thing is I had similar parents growing up. My parents were no picture of marital bliss either. To the point, as I child I sometimes wanted them separated. But they never did. It was sorta like growing up in a cold war. But obviously my experience wasn't like yours. I am sorry you went through that.
I don't believe either parent is less worthy of parenting by definition. I am very keen on knowing how parents want to be part of their children's life. I respect that. I know that myself. I breath it. But I do question whether it is better for the children to go through the 50/50 thing. It isn't meant to be a slight to either parent. It is a question I ask when thinking how children cope in this lifestyle. I guess after some random reading on the the 50/50 shared agreements and why they were being implemented more, I was struck by this subtle idea that somehow everything would be fine so long as both parents were involved. And I do ask why. Why is it necessarily better? I know parents like it because they both get to see their kid. But how Is it better for the kids? A better question is, is 50/50 better than a single parent? A: Depends on the situation. That is the answer I think that ought to be applied across the board. 50/50 isn't necessarily the best. I think there are problems that ought to be recognized in this arrangement. And there are pros and cons for single parenting as well. But I see a trend in idealogy where it seems like saying anything against the 50/50 arrangement makes you the crazy person in the room. Which also makes me think there is something else going on in the judicial system.
Imagine alternating jobs week to week- how unsettling would that be? From my own perspective, I have seen it 50/50 arrangement yield stress and anxiety on an 8 yr old who doesn't even know why her life is the way it is. If it is successful for people, then I applaud those. I do not see it as a success in my own court. I see an 8 year old girl who doesn't know how to cope seeing her parents be so perfect to one another.. and she can't understand why they aren't together. And naturally she wants for nothing more than to be with parents together.

mommy78's picture

Also what about the children born out of wedlock? ??? Shouldnt these children get a fair chance with bonding with both parents especially since they have no chance of having mommy and daddy married? Im sorry but being a weekend parent and summer vacation parent is fair to any child or parent. Nothing will be as perfect as both parents in the house but 50/50 is darn close to perfect.

DiggingIn's picture

I think my point about traditional married parents being the model for 50/50 arrangement is that obviously there were problems beyond help in the marriage which is why the divorce happened. Why would we try to achieve success based on that model after divorce? If success wasn't achieved in the marriage, why would it after divorce? The peculiar thing is a lot of parents rush to the 50/50 thing because they understandably do want to see their kids, the court doesn't want to deal with deadbeat parents and outright custody hearings, and the kids still get to see each of the parents. So everyone supposedly wins. Supposedly. But no one is asking how are children supposed to cope with this. Is it fair to ask them to understand all this and just move on like everything is okay? And in reality, I don't think the seasonal exchanging of kids is as detrimental like in your example of the summer vaca parent. I think the kids in that kind of extended stay do have more opportunity to grow in their life with their other parent. I guess that is what it comes down to from my perspective. We are asking kids to live two lives for us. That would be hard to ask of most adults.

Generic's picture

Do you think your viewpoint on this subject is colored by your own circumstance? You have a newborn and would like100% from DH. Instead you're getting, oh let's say 50%?

DiggingIn's picture

I do get the best from DH. He does his best in our circumstance. And I am not in need of more attentions from DH. I am my own person with or without husband's attentions. My viewpoint is nothing but the circumstances I have experienced. That is why they are viewpoints and opinions. It is the legal system that is supposed to be without opinion. I dare say, most people speak on 'forums' to express their opinions and perspectives. That is the purpose.

askYOURdad's picture

I agree with your point on pros and cons of every situation. With that said, I don't think any situation is the same as another and there is no approach that will generally work. I think when it comes down to it, each family is different and the needs of that particular family should be taken into account.

For example, lets say the parents were married and worked opposite shifts and both spent about equal time with the kids individually and both helped with homework, baths, dinner etc. on the days they were home. The parents divorce and they live 10 minutes away from each other in the same school district. I think 50/50 would be absolutely ideal.

Let's say the dad worked 80 hours a week and the mom was a SAHM. On dad's day off he went golfing with his co workers and every night said goodnight and read a bedtime story, mom did the majority of the child rearing. 50/50 would not be ideal, that would be a huge adjustment.

I can give about 30 other examples where different custody arrangements would work better or worse. Trying to generalize is probably the most unhealthy thing the family court system can do for families.

Maxwell09's picture

It's based off of where the kids been his/her life. Where he has activities, friends, community relations. Our judge was not favorable to 50/50 because that's what DH and BM were doing since the beginning. But because my DH has owned his house for 4 years and majority of his family from both our and BMs side reside in our parish he granted us primary care, also giving DH the final say in deciding where schooling, doctoring, etc should take place. But obviously BMs opinion is given and listened too.

50/50 may work for some but it doesn't really give the kid a home. They are living in suitcases. And I was told that by a stepchild you suffered from the 50/50 for her whole childhood. But kuddos to those who can work past that and make it work.

Maxwell09's picture

While I agree that 50/50 physical custody is not the best for children, I will say that the dad could just as easily have the daughter Monday-Friday and let the mother have weekends.

We were doing this (4/4) before going to court DH and BM and the judge changed that and denied 7/7 because schooling would eventually pose as a problem for us.

Factors that could help is getting the kid already involved in your area. Where most of her family and friends reside. If y'all go to church regularly that can also be mentioned. It's going to based off of where the child is most established and which of the two schools districts provide the better opportunities.

jenn82lancemade's picture

Most SM do the job that some but not all BMs don't do. In my situation this is my second time being a SM. The first go round my ex husband had two children prior to marrying me and having children with me, in that situation my stepdaughter's mother was an excellent mother and her and I agreed on how she should be raised and needless to say this young woman turned out to be a great person and is going to college. Now as for my ex husband's son I had to step in and be a mother and father to him, His mother allowed her boyfriend to beat the child so I had to call Child protection services on the mother and have the child removed from the home. When I took over the child flourished in school and was an honor roll student. But sadly four years after getting the child me and his father couldn't make our marriage work and faught all the time. So I had to file for a divorce and in long run my ex husband lost custody of his son to the Bm because my ex husband is a drunk. I'm now friends with the my ex stepson's mother and the child is not doing so good in school cause she does not provide a stable environment like I did when me and his father were together. Now I'm with someone new and he has a daughter. When I 1st met this little girl she was four years old and did not know how to eat with a fork or spoon she ate with her hands, she also did not know how to wipe herself when she went to the bathroom I had to teach her how to do all of that. Last year she started school in my kids school district cause her mother was living with a friend in my town and there were many times the teacher would send the child's homework home from the week the child was with her mother and had to complete the homework at my house. I also had to teach her how to hold a pencil properly. I found out from my fiancée and several of his family members that this child's BM never pays any attention to the child cause she more wrapped up in jher x-Box or some kind of online virtual video game. I've also found out that now that the child and the BM lives with the BM's parents the BM's parents take care of child not the BM. so sometimes it's in the best interest of the child to go live with the father who has someone there to give the child the attention that she needs. And that's what judges need to look at, who spends time with child and sets good moral values for the child. I'm not saying I'm mother of the year but being a BM and a SM I think I've done a really good job so far parenting both my own children and my step children. Judges also need to take into consideration the school district too cause in my fiancée's situations he shares 50/50 custody with the Bm and she went pull the child out a great scoring school with our state and put her in a poor performing school with the state. I've learned over the years that as a Sm not bow down to the BM's demands too especially if you are BM your own self. cause a lot of BM thinks it's okay to boss around SM when it's not. If you step back and get to learn that SM and see that's she' here to help your child not to harm him or her maybe the BM and SM can come to some common ground. I'm a BM too and I don't make my ex-husband's girlfriend bow down to me. I compromise with them I don't go around demanding things from them. When BM's learn that SM is a good person and can get along it's best for the child too. so with that being said my fiancée is trying to get the courts to place the child back into the the school district here so the child won't suffer acdemicly. and as for 50/50 custody it's works especially for children that are use to seeing there parents on a regular basis. How you going to tell a 5yr old you can't see daddy till the weekend when she's use to going every other week.