You are here

Divorce Hearing Tomorrow

Starting_Over 20's picture
Forums: 

Hello, this is my first time posting.  I have been lurking for awhile.  My divorce hearing is tomorrow and I am feeling suddenly overwhelmed by the thought of what to wear!  My STBX and I did not get lawyers and I drafted all of the legal paperwork myself over the last seven months.  I thought I was ready and totally prepared, only to let a silly thing such as, what to wear, get my anxiety rolling. What did you wear to your final hearing?  It seems crazy to me that this is the trigger that is setting me off right now, especially after all the work and preperation I have put into this.  

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

I didn’t have to go to a divorce hearing (lucky me, got my decree absolute via e mail a few days before Xmas!).

I would also wear something suitable for an interview. I always opt for navy or a nice blue shade. 

If you are one for make up (maybe you don’t need it but I do due to skin pigmentation from my pregnancy’s) I would wear some very pretty but barely noticeable pinks. A look that says ‘she’s pretty’ not wow look at her make up. 

Good luck, I hope it’s not too traumatic for you. 

Thank you both. I've finally settled on a basic navy dress that goes to my knees. I don't wear dresses but it was the only thing in my closet that seemed appropriate. I appreciate your responses and it did help settle my nerves. 

Rags's picture

My XW wore a skirt and jacket. I wore jeans and a a button down both cleaned and the shirt pressed with black cowboy boots.  The divorce was in Texas.  What I wore was fine.  We did an uncontested single attorney divorce. The attorney advised that I not attend.  That situation did not sit right with me, so at the last minute I went.  Good thing.  That pissed my XW off so much she lost it in front of the Judge and he ended up awarding "Property as possessed" and since she had moved out... I got the house!

Woo hoo!

When we went to court to defend my SS's SpermClan's attempt to get custody my DW wore a stylish skirt/suit with a black skirt and red blazer with a white blouse and nice reasonable heels. I wore a business suit and tie, the Spermidiot wore a zuit suit with golf ball sized tufts of hair wrapped in little dental rubber bands all over his head so his head looked like a model of a Corona Virus.  The judge railed at him about coming to court looking like a clown and specifically referenced his "stupid" suit and hair.

Something classic and respectful of the Court would be my recommendation.  Wear a suit or office appropriate dress and nice moderate shoes.  Nothing too trendy or edgy.  The Judge in our custody hearing took significant exception when the SpermIdiot pulled that crap.

Thumper's picture

Welcome to Steptalk.

How many step children do you have or will have.

About what to wear, that depends. What message to you want to send to the Judge

Respecting the court is what it is all about... Well here is what NOT to wear,  Not a sun dress, no flip flops, NOT raggy clothing and sneakers. No yoga pants, NOT leggins and fuzzy slippers.  Sorry Rags---but NO jeans. Pull up your top and don't let your boobs hang all over the place.

Find decent pair of slacks, skirt or dress, matching top and decent shoes. Think professional clothing.

Oh my Goodness, you would be very surprised what people wear to court. It's shocking they are not told to come back later after they changed.

I adopted my SD from my first marriage and now am considering starting again with a man who has two kids.  I went through a lot of hell with my adopted daughter and wish I would have known about this site years ago.  

What I wore ended up to be just fine.  The hearing took 15 mins and it was all done over video conferencing.  I had to sit right next to my ex though.  It was a little unsettling, but I am glad it's finally over.  

Rags's picture

I agree Though in Texas where Jeans and a pressed button down and boots is appropriate for just about anything.  IMHO I think it ws about behavior and showing respect for the court.  I was all Yes Sir/No Sir while XW was lippy and full of attitude.  The Judge was fine with me, he took severe exception to my XW's attitude.

For sure, wear professional attire in court.  If I had it do again, I would have at least put on a blazer for the divorce hearing.