You are here

Child Abandonment in Georgia

lovehimhatehim's picture
Forums: 

Anyone know what the law states constitutes as child abandonment in the state of Georgia? Does it require a specific amount of time without physical or phone contact with the child or can it be filed for financial reasons alone? If it can be financial alone what length what is the requirement for no financial support (& yes, there is a court ordered CS amount that is not being met)?

lovehimhatehim's picture

It's the BM, who is not paying CS. There is already a CS case open, and for 5yrs now CSE has allowed her to pay at her leisure. I am wondering if a judge would see it as a waste of tax payers dollars for DH to file the app for child abandonment to try to get BM to pay as ordered. She picks them up for EOW visits but not every time it's her turn, but enough that physical contact is out of the question. We can not afford an atty at this time, and CSE doesn't seem to be "enforcing" anything...BM's license are suspended but she is still driving! She's several thousands behind...DH opened his case THE DAY he was awarded primary custody...how does someone get thousands behind when they have a CSS case from day 1???

lovehimhatehim's picture

That's actually the problem, NCP isn't paying and there's already a CSE case and contempt order on her, but today marks 40 days since her last payment.

lovehimhatehim's picture

Her CS was based on Min Wage 5yrs ago (she claimed her new DH was deathly ill and she had to take care of him, the judge actually said "I'm not going to set CS any higher because you will probably just have to keep coming back to court just to get her to pay it" I could not believe my ears! My Ex's CS was based on his ability to make a certain amount...even though he wasn't actually making that amount! The thing is: BM is working, CSS knows BM is working, she's been under a contempt order since February, 2014 and still isn't paying within 30days. Believe me, I do call/email/fax CSS...their response: It's up to the CSS Atty & Judge as to BM's consequences. The only consequence she has faced is license supension (3 times in 5 yrs) yet she still drives...Hell why should she pay??? That's why I am looking for affordable ways to try to help DH get something done about it.