You are here

Chance of terminating her parental rights?

Stepmom_since_2003's picture
Forums: 

Hi all! I would like to get some 3rd party opinions on my wanting to terminate the parental rights of BM and adopt my 7yo SS. So, here's my situation. I have been married to DH for almost 7 years. I have a 14yo SD and a 7yo SS, different BM's for the SK's. SS's mom has been in trouble for the majority of her life. Since the birth of SS, she has embezzled $88k, violated probation for not reporting and multiple failed drug tests. She also has had new criminal charges from shoplifting. According to her PO's and court documents, she has been caught taking Adderall, Vicoden, Percoset and Methadone (without a prescription) also, Meth, Cocaine (while 16 wks pregnant with her youngest) and most recently Black Tar Heroin. Last summer she overdosed while my SS was visiting her. Childrens Services got involved and DH had to scramble to get SS a plane ticket home earlier than scheduled.
Starting in 2004 DH and BM shared custody 50/50, everytime she's screwed up we've requested and received more time with SS. Now we have full physical and legal custody and BM has supervised visitation. She has been in and out of jail, but never serves more than 30 days at a time. She hardly ever calls him, and only returns his calls about 1/2 the time. I was finally able to get BM on the phone today and told her I would like to adopt SS. She stated that she would not consent. I do have written proof of the majority of all the things BM has done. Do you all think I have a strong enough case to ask the courts to involuntarily terminate her parental rights? TIA

Stepmom_since_2003's picture

Thank you for your response. Congratulations, I'm so happy for you! Unfortunately, we can't afford an attorney. If we could, I would have already filed. She can't afford an attorney either, so at least that's a postive for me. I know how to fight her and according the the state statutes it is possible for me to win. I'm just scared that if a judge denies me, she'll be impossible to deal with for the next 11 years. I would really like for her to get her head out of her rear end and stop making excuses for everything she does wrong. She's incapable of taking responsibility for her actions. If SS is to have any chance at a normal life, I feel I don't have any choice but to try to adopt him. He has already suffered so much because of BM's lifestyle choices.